PDA

View Full Version : Robert Kraft behind NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s $300 million salary: REPORT

Joe Fo Sho
01-26-2015, 03:03 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/robert-kraft-behind-roger-goodell-300m-salary-report-article-1.2092554

Roger Goodell has at least 300 hundred million reasons to go easy on Bob Kraft's team.

Kraft's role in inflating the NFL commissioner's huge salary is just one feature of their mutually beneficial friendship, according to a new article in GQ Magazine detailing Goodell's close relationship with the owner of the Patriots.

Kraft was instrumental in securing Goodell a gargantuan salary that amounts to a total of about $300 million over seven years.

The article points out that Kraft is a member of the league's compensation committee, comprised of three NFL team owners, which infamously set Goodell's pay package at $44 million per year for seven years starting in 2012. (For comparison's sake, outgoing Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig made about half amount toward the end of his tenure).

This is fun stuff.

YardRat
01-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Goodell can rot in hell with Kraft, Brady and Belichek.

Mike13
01-26-2015, 03:07 PM
He is literally in Kraft's pocket.

GvilleBills
01-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Can't see why this has any bearing on Goodell going easy on Kraft...

Damn, I can't even type that with a straight face.. :D

trapezeus
01-26-2015, 03:26 PM
this has been known for years. i'm sure jerry jones is styaing quiet since his team took the officials on their party bus around town.

the whole thing is obviously corrupt. and the smaller owners are staying quiet because they get paid.

notacon
01-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Hmmmmmm....how ridiculous does this make these posts sound now from our resident Pat's Defense Troll???...

My conclusion? Pete WANTS the Pats to be guilty....

A "culture of cheating"? Horse****.

Spygate was a powerplay between Goodell and the Pats....

YardRat
01-26-2015, 03:32 PM
this has been known for years. i'm sure jerry jones is styaing quiet since his team took the officials on their party bus around town.

the whole thing is obviously corrupt. and the smaller owners are staying quiet because they get paid.

They are a tight-knit club, and will go miles out of their way to not publicly upset the apple cart. I know if I were an owner I would probably play boy scout and stay totally removed or repeat the company mantra in front of a camera, but I can guarantee behind close doors the spit would be flying and somebody would have hell to pay.

imbondz
01-26-2015, 03:37 PM
They are a tight-knit club, and will go miles out of their way to not publicly upset the apple cart. I know if I were an owner I would probably play boy scout and stay totally removed or repeat the company mantra in front of a camera, but I can guarantee behind close doors the spit would be flying and somebody would have hell to pay.

Agreed. But you'd get in the habit of only *****ing about it to your wife, and that's it. And she's not going to care who wins Superbowls as she's spending $20,000 / month on new clothes.

ckg927
01-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Dave Zirin brought up the same issue that the OP did in his current column. And he also quotes Richard Sherman, who is STILL the smartest man in the NFL, in the process.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/196089/patriots-balls-and-christopher-hitchens

Generalissimus Gibby
01-26-2015, 05:04 PM
Its an entertainment business, and its increasingly on the level of Vince McMahon and "professional" "wrestling." I mean its all about entertaining and intriguing stories for a long time and in many ways is akin to gladatorial combat. I think part of deflate gate is to boost Superbowl Ratings. Here's some more, I think the refs do fix games - a call here, a noncall there - to get the most compelling and high dollar matchups in the regular and post season and then we factor in gambling. Think the AFC title game, you have the young gun (Luck v. the old pro Brady in the championship), and in the division you have the new colt commander v. the old colt commander. In the NFC the Cowboys at Greenbay (Icebowl II) and in the title you have the Hags and the Pack. Its good for ratings and business. Really, I think the small market teams get hosed by and large because they do not have the large markets and so occassionally they are even allowed to win a division, but they will not often get a championship or anywhere near. The league is not about wins and losses as much as it is about who has the money and who is the most entertaining.

The only sad thing about this is that a lot of people are now disabled and enjoying a highly degraded quality of life in the aftermath of long careers spent making the game what it is today.

stuckincincy
01-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Its an entertainment business, and its increasingly on the level of Vince McMahon and "professional" "wrestling." I mean its all about entertaining and intriguing stories for a long time and in many ways is akin to gladatorial combat. I think part of deflate gate is to boost Superbowl Ratings. Here's some more, I think the refs do fix games - a call here, a noncall there - to get the most compelling and high dollar matchups in the regular and post season and then we factor in gambling. Think the AFC title game, you have the young gun (Luck v. the old pro Brady in the championship), and in the division you have the new colt commander v. the old colt commander. In the NFC the Cowboys at Greenbay (Icebowl II) and in the title you have the Hags and the Pack. Its good for ratings and business. Really, I think the small market teams get hosed by and large because they do not have the large markets and so occassionally they are even allowed to win a division, but they will not often get a championship or anywhere near. The league is not about wins and losses as much as it is about who has the money and who is the most entertaining.

The only sad thing about this is that a lot of people are now disabled and enjoying a highly degraded quality of life in the aftermath of long careers spent making the game what it is today.

I don't get that...better sights on the new, and doesn't fling the spent brass forward?

Strongman
01-26-2015, 07:17 PM
Does anyone know whether there are any owners who aren't fans of Goodell? I can see Woody Johnson not being one, but anyone else?