PDA

View Full Version : Bills hired Chris Palmer as Senior Offensive Assistant

Mr. Miyagi
01-26-2015, 03:30 PM
The Bills have brought on an experienced offensive coach to help them develop EJ Manuel or another quarterback during the 2015 season.

The team announced Monday that Chris Palmer will join Rex Ryan’s staff as a senior offensive assistant. Palmer was the first head coach of the revived Browns in 1999 and has also served as the offensive coordinator or quarterbacks coach for the Titans, Giants, Cowboys, Texans, Patriots and the USFL’s New Jersey Generals over the course of his long career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/26/bills-hire-chris-palmer-as-senior-offensive-assistant/

Maybe there's hope.

Mr. Pink
01-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Chris Palmer?! He's still around.

He did wonders for Tim Couch.

djjimkelly
01-26-2015, 03:46 PM
i keep telling everyone that EJ will be next years starter

same as this year a 4-7 year vet will be brought in to compete and EJ will win

hopefully he does well and we have to goto plan B this year and if we do lets hope hes alot better then mr 6,4 forty speed orton

harmonkoz
01-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Chris Palmer?! He's still around.

He did wonders for Tim Couch.

In his defense, he was not the QB coach, he was HC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Palmer_%28American_football%29

YardRat
01-26-2015, 04:00 PM
So wtf is Lee going to be doing while Palmer is coaching up the QB's?

SpikedLemonade
01-26-2015, 04:01 PM
His resume is very suspect.

Mr. Pink
01-26-2015, 04:02 PM
In his defense, he was not the QB coach, he was HC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Palmer_%28American_football%29

There is no defense to the guy. He hasn't done anything of value since 1998.

harmonkoz
01-26-2015, 04:03 PM
His resume is very suspect.

A lot of bouncing around. USFL coach...

Night Train
01-26-2015, 04:04 PM
After crucifying every Rex asst. hire last week, are there any crosses left for Palmer ?

Scumbag College
01-26-2015, 04:23 PM
We're doomed!

The Jokeman
01-26-2015, 04:27 PM
So wtf is Lee going to be doing while Palmer is coaching up the QB's?

One could ask what Todd Downing was doing last season while we had Jeff Hostler here with the same job title as Palmer has now. Of course adding Palmer might now bring more speculation of whom the Bills bring in as a veteran QB to pair with EJ as Palmer did some okay things with Jack Locker in Tennessee.

Mace
01-26-2015, 04:55 PM
I've read Harbaugh had someone else call offensive pass plays at Stanford while Roman did running plays, there was also speculation it was the same in SF, with Harbaugh calling the pass plays. Heh.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/01/12/greg-roman-goes-buffalo-ending-term-egregiously-scapegoated-49ers-assistant-years/

djjimkelly
01-26-2015, 05:55 PM
hes another coach on this staff who has head coaching experience. we should be happy staffs with multiple previous HC's are normally successful

and now that we have 2 qb coaches i see this as a positive. i have 2 degrees so ive had alot of teachers. not all teachers even though great teachers can shape one person fully. why not have EJ have 2 teachers taking on different roles in his development

The Jokeman
01-26-2015, 06:12 PM
hes another coach on this staff who has head coaching experience. we should be happy staffs with multiple previous HC's are normally successful

and now that we have 2 qb coaches i see this as a positive. i have 2 degrees so ive had alot of teachers. not all teachers even though great teachers can shape one person fully. why not have EJ have 2 teachers taking on different roles in his development
David Lee is known for bringing the Wild Cat to the NFL which of course is part of the popular read option that Russell Wilson/RG III excelled with as rookies. Palmer on the other hand seems to be a more traditional pocket QB type guy (see his success with Bledsoe and Eli). I guess both could help EJ out. Yet think it maybe moreso on Lee as have a feeling Roman is going to play more of a read option based approach based on what he ran with Kaep in San Fran and Ryan's comments about wanting to see EJ run more this season.

stuckincincy
01-26-2015, 11:48 PM
After crucifying every Rex asst. hire last week, are there any crosses left for Palmer ?

No. He will just have to be chained to the oars...

Meathead
01-27-2015, 02:25 AM
according the bb.com hostler is still on staff, too

so ej will go from a mind bottlingly stupid zero qb coaches (his first season) under doug maroon to three under rexy

swiper
01-27-2015, 03:39 AM
EJ Manuel is so bad that even having two coaches dedicated to a single player aren't enough to fix that garbage.

DynaPaul
01-27-2015, 05:59 AM
I'll take any offensive mastermind we can get to fix this offense.

TedMock
01-27-2015, 08:34 AM
I've read Harbaugh had someone else call offensive pass plays at Stanford while Roman did running plays, there was also speculation it was the same in SF, with Harbaugh calling the pass plays. Heh.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/01/12/greg-roman-goes-buffalo-ending-term-egregiously-scapegoated-49ers-assistant-years/

I've read that somewhere before. That seems like complete insanity to me. I could see one coach designing a bunch of running plays and one a bunch of passing plays, but to take turns making calls during a game seems crazy. You gameplan against your opponent and you have more than one play to go against different looks and more than one could be both runs and passes against that look. To predetermine "we are going to pass here" without even considering the other side, and vice versa, just makes Harbaugh sound like a lunatic to me. It also makes it difficult for the OC to get a proper feel and into a groove. The two people would have to be in complete lockstep and that takes a ton of practice in any field. Of course, nothing shocks me with regard to football coaches anymore.

justasportsfan
01-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Palmer another asst. with young QB history
Posted by Chris Brown on January 26, 2015 – 4:07 pm

One of the last assistants announced as part of Rex Ryan’s coaching staff has a lengthy resume when it comes to working with young quarterbacks.

Offensive assistant Chris Palmer has worked in the NFL since 1990 and has coached several quarterbacks early in their careers.

He coached Drew Bledsoe with the Patriots under Bill Parcells when they won the AFC title in 1996.

He coached Mark Brunell, though he was a vet at the time, to the AFC title game.

After serving as head coach for expansion Cleveland and Offensive coordinator for expansion Houston he worked with a young Eli Manning winning a Super Bowl in 2007.

He’s most recently served as OC of Tennessee 2011-2012.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/01/26/palmer-another-asst-with-young-qb-history/

My guess s David Lee is there to try and fix Ej's mechanics and Palmer is help him read :idunno:

Mace
01-27-2015, 09:53 AM
I've read that somewhere before. That seems like complete insanity to me. I could see one coach designing a bunch of running plays and one a bunch of passing plays, but to take turns making calls during a game seems crazy. You gameplan against your opponent and you have more than one play to go against different looks and more than one could be both runs and passes against that look. To predetermine "we are going to pass here" without even considering the other side, and vice versa, just makes Harbaugh sound like a lunatic to me. It also makes it difficult for the OC to get a proper feel and into a groove. The two people would have to be in complete lockstep and that takes a ton of practice in any field. Of course, nothing shocks me with regard to football coaches anymore.

I agree, and it's looking more as I mentioned :

The Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/buffalo-bills) hired Greg Roman to be their offensive coordinator, but much like his days at Stanford, Roman will apparently focus more on the run game.

New #Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) OC Greg Roman will concentrate mainly on run game. QB coach David Lee & WR coach Sanjay Lal will focus on passing game.
— Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) January 26, 2015 (https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/559819420407582721)

From : http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/26/7918529/greg-roman-to-focus-on-run-game-with-buffalo-bills

THATHURMANATOR
01-27-2015, 10:10 AM
My god who cares people.

Mace
01-27-2015, 10:13 AM
My god who cares people.

Well I do really. It's looking like a weird way to run an offense when the offense is the HC's achilles heel to begin with. Throwing that many people into a pot and hoping it makes an offense kind of alarms me.

I'm still trying to make heads or tails of hiring Ryan to begin with.

TedMock
01-28-2015, 04:38 AM
I agree, and it's looking more as I mentioned :

From : http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/26/7918529/greg-roman-to-focus-on-run-game-with-buffalo-bills

I'm fine with run/pass coordinator roles. I do not like the thought of dual play calling on game day. Collectively gameplanning is good. Still need one voice calling plays to minimize confusion/mistakes on Sunday, imo.

better days
01-28-2015, 06:21 AM
They were talking about Palmer on WGR yesterday.

Palmer just loves Coaching, that is why he wanted this job.

I have heard people say that EJ can't be Coached up to improve because he hasn't yet.

Well, let's look at it. WHO Exactly Coached EJ at FSU & what are their qualifications?

His Rookie year, EJ had no QB Coach, a MEDIOCRE OC & no vet QB to learn from.

Last season, EJ did get a QB Coach (who knows how good he is/was?) & had a MEDIOCRE vet QB to learn from.

Nobody knows how much if anything EJ learned last year?

David Lee & Chris Palmer are both experienced successful Coaches of QB's.

EJ & the other QB's on the Bills will get the best Coaching they have ever had.

better days
01-28-2015, 06:37 AM
And if Rex, Roman & the rest of the Offensive Coaches Coach up EJ & he improves, how inept will that make Marrone & Hackett look?

mightysimi
01-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Well I do really. It's looking like a weird way to run an offense when the offense is the HC's achilles heel to begin with. Throwing that many people into a pot and hoping it makes an offense kind of alarms me.

I'm still trying to make heads or tails of hiring Ryan to begin with.

If it gets the team to 3 championship games and one superbowl like SF, I don't care how they do it.

Mace
01-30-2015, 08:25 PM
If it gets the team to 3 championship games and one superbowl like SF, I don't care how they do it.

That's a reach. We don't have Harbaugh, Kaepernick, Solari, Vernon Davis, etc.

Run or pass, you're on the clock, the mike will shut off, the QB is hearing this, final call is up to the legendary offense guy, um, Rex Ryan.

You'll care plenty. "If" it gets us to 3 championship games and one Super Bowl. We aren't the 49'ers, and we aren't even the early Jets. So it's a reach thinking we might be.

better days
01-30-2015, 11:07 PM
That's a reach. We don't have Harbaugh, Kaepernick, Solari, Vernon Davis, etc.

Run or pass, you're on the clock, the mike will shut off, the QB is hearing this, final call is up to the legendary offense guy, um, Rex Ryan.

You'll care plenty. "If" it gets us to 3 championship games and one Super Bowl. We aren't the 49'ers, and we aren't even the early Jets. So it's a reach thinking we might be.

I disagree. We have yet to see the final roster before the next season starts, but I will match this Bills defense against the Jets defense that went to two AFC Championship games.

And I think EJ is as good as Sanchez.

swiper
01-31-2015, 04:37 AM
David Lee has been proven to be a failure in Buffalo, then with the JETs. He was terrible at both places. The Bills QBs regressed under his tutelage. And I don't recall much about Palmer back from the days when he held higher coaching positions other than he had big problems. I don't necessarily think that using guys like Palmer as position coaches is a bad thing. Arizona built a nice coaching staff doing just that. But just because a guy says he loves coaching doesn't mean he's a good coach. So we'll have to wait and see what he produces. But anyone given the job of resuscitating the pariah known as EJ Manuel should know that is a waste of their time.

better days
01-31-2015, 07:39 AM
David Lee has been proven to be a failure in Buffalo, then with the JETs. He was terrible at both places. The Bills QBs regressed under his tutelage. And I don't recall much about Palmer back from the days when he held higher coaching positions other than he had big problems. I don't necessarily think that using guys like Palmer as position coaches is a bad thing. Arizona built a nice coaching staff doing just that. But just because a guy says he loves coaching doesn't mean he's a good coach. So we'll have to wait and see what he produces. But anyone given the job of resuscitating the pariah known as EJ Manuel should know that is a waste of their time.

The fact Palmer has Coached all these years & rose to the level of HC says he is a good Coach.

We will see if EJ can improve with GOOD Coaching next season or not.

I don't think Orton won any more games than EJ would have last year.

swiper
01-31-2015, 08:00 AM
The fact Palmer has Coached all these years & rose to the level of HC says he is a good Coach.

ROFL at the logic. So by that let me just say: Mularkey, Jauron, Williams, Gailey, Marrone.

better days
01-31-2015, 08:05 AM
ROFL at the logic. So by that let me just say: Mularkey, Jauron, Williams, Gailey, Marrone.

All good Coaches except maybe Marrone who does not really have all that much time in.

I don't know, maybe Marrone can Coach up an OL player when that is all he focuses on.

swiper
01-31-2015, 08:17 AM
Hank Bullough, Kay Stephenson, John Rauch, Bruce Coslett, Rich Kotite, Dave Wannstedt, Wayne Fontes, Brad Childress, etc....

swiper
01-31-2015, 08:21 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1443665-50-worst-nfl-head-coaches-of-all-time/page/41

ROFL.

The 50 Worst NFL Head Coaches of All Time

13. Chris Palmer: Cleveland Browns

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/002/824/526/hi-res-719853_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Chris Palmer was chosen to lead the expansion Cleveland Browns in 1999. He managed just five wins in two seasons.

Palmer went 2-14 and 3-13 before being cut loose. Even by expansion team standards, his Browns were awful.

He couldn't get them even close to competitive. His first draft choice, quarterback Tim Couch, symbolizes those sorry two years in Browns history.

sudzy
01-31-2015, 08:22 AM

Those guys weren't good HC, but, with the exception of Marrone, all those coaches were really good coordinators. So better days logic does apply. Palmer could be an asset to this team.

Mr. Pink
01-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Palmer hasn't even been in the NFL since being fired by the Titans during the 2012 season.

He really hasn't done anything of value since working with the Jags prior to being hired by Cleveland as the head coach.

It's a hire that makes absolutely no sense and serves no purpose.

swiper
01-31-2015, 08:28 AM
Those guys weren't good HC, but, with the exception of Marrone, all those coaches were really good coordinators. So better days logic does apply. Palmer could be an asset to this team.

No. You're wrong. Only Gregg Williams was a good coordinator. Gailey was almost good. KC fired him he was such a good coordinator. Then the Bills let him be HC. LOL. Mularkey is not/was not ever good at anything. And, well, Jauron was a serviceable secondary coach. That's it. And Gregg Williams had such problems he was ousted by the NFL. Is he even working?

swiper
01-31-2015, 08:29 AM
Palmer hasn't even been in the NFL since being fired by the Titans during the 2012 season.

He really hasn't done anything of value since working with the Jags prior to being hired by Cleveland as the head coach.

It's a hire that makes absolutely no sense and serves no purpose.

Don't you know anything? He's going to polish the turd known as EJ Manuel.