PDA

View Full Version : Jim Schwartz job search update

swiper
01-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Not looking too good at the moment. Is he being selective or shunned?

Who else needs a DC? Washington? Who else?

Schwartz hasn’t found himself in the mix for any other coordinator openings around the league, something he says is fine with him as he waits for the right opportunity to continue his coaching career.

“I saw the opening up in Buffalo as a good opportunity, so I took it. But no, right now, I can’t see myself doing anything else (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-column-0127-20150126-column.html?track=rss). Coaching is something I love, something I have a passion about. Another opportunity will present itself. I’m not too concerned.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/27/jim-schwartz-being-selective-about-next-opportunity/

The Jokeman
01-27-2015, 07:26 AM
I was confused as to why the Redskins didn't interview Schwartz when he became available unless they had their eyes on someone else but wanted to bring in Schwarz for an interview and see what he had to offer. ie explore all options.

swiper
01-27-2015, 07:28 AM
More, from the Baltimore Sun article:

"I've known Rex for a long time," Schwartz said. "I have a lot of respect for him as a person, and for what he has done and his schemes. But like there are certain players who fit in with other players, the same is true with coaches."

Basically, Ryan wanted to bring pressure all the time and he blitzes often. Schwartz likes to get pressure with his front four. In Ryan's scheme, cornerbacks can be left alone and unprotected. In Schwartz's scheme, you're probably going to need a stud or two on the defensive line.

Also, Ryan isn't going to let anyone coach his defense except him. Several teams like the Oakland Raiders, Denver Broncos, Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco are still in the market for coordinators.

swiper
01-27-2015, 07:34 AM
Wade Phillips is interviewing for the Denver DC today: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/27/wade-phillips-interviewing-with-broncos-today/

justasportsfan
01-27-2015, 10:08 AM
I liked Schwartz system better because he doesn't have to blitz to get to the qb.

We could use extra men to cover NE's tight ends.

Mace
01-27-2015, 10:10 AM
I was confused as to why the Redskins didn't interview Schwartz when he became available unless they had their eyes on someone else but wanted to bring in Schwarz for an interview and see what he had to offer. ie explore all options.

That was peculiar since they wanted to interview him when he wasn't available.

-Arians has said Arizona has their DC (not LeBeau) and will anounce today or tomorrow. Doubt it will be Schwartz.

I think he's going to sit out a year.

CommissarSpartacus
01-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Schwart2 is better off playng it cool than taking a DC job for a crap team.

He established his rep last year.

jimmifli
01-27-2015, 02:32 PM
I liked Schwartz system better because he doesn't have to blitz to get to the qb.
I liked it better because it was better.

Mr. Pink
01-27-2015, 02:41 PM
And this is why the organization should have allowed him to interview for the Redskins job back when they asked.

justasportsfan
01-27-2015, 02:58 PM
I liked it better because it was better.

lets face it. JS was bound to leave at some point .

Not all defensive minded coaches end up with having top defenses but at least with Rexy, we are bound to have one based on his history.

trapezeus
01-27-2015, 03:04 PM
bills didn't know at the time they said no to washington that they weren't promoting schwartz.

YardRat
01-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Did Atlanta hire a DC? Unless I'm mistaken, they still need to fill out a staff, including HC.

Mace
01-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Did Atlanta hire a DC? Unless I'm mistaken, they still need to fill out a staff, including HC.

Latest word has them waiting on Dan Quinn for HC, and signing Broncos LB coach Richard Smith as DC :

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12230888/raheem-morris-join-atlanta-falcons-assistant-head-coach-charge-defensive-backs

jimmifli
01-27-2015, 11:03 PM
lets face it. JS was bound to leave at some point .
Not if he was the head coach.

justasportsfan
01-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Not if he was the head coach.

then we'd be arguing who is a better HC, Rexy or Schwartz. IMO, Rexy has a SLIGHTLY upper hand as a HC.

I don't know who Schwartz would have chosen as his OC, but I'm liking Roman.

jimmifli
01-28-2015, 09:45 AM
then we'd be arguing who is a better HC, Rexy or Schwartz. IMO, Rexy has a SLIGHTLY upper hand as a HC.

I don't know who Schwartz would have chosen as his OC, but I'm liking Roman.

Rex brought in a ****ty staff and blew up the scheme without any regard to past success (or Pettine's failures with a similar scheme). We've seen that before and it's usually followed by the excuse that "we didn't have the right players", which is followed by an offseason of more roster turnover and by year 3 they're back to the level they were before the coach blew up the roster to fit his scheme. Maybe Rex is a better coach, but Gym Shorts stability was enough to give him the edge IMO.

PS I like Roman too, he's the perfect OC for a team with a killer D and no QB.

justasportsfan
01-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Rex brought in a ****ty staff and blew up the scheme without any regard to past success (or Pettine's failures with a similar scheme). We've seen that before and it's usually followed by the excuse that "we didn't have the right players", which is followed by an offseason of more roster turnover and by year 3 they're back to the level they were before the coach blew up the roster to fit his scheme. Maybe Rex is a better coach, but Gym Shorts stability was enough to give him the edge IMO.

PS I like Roman too, he's the perfect OC for a team with a killer D and no QB.

Rexy hasn't blown anything up since next season hasn't started yet. Besides, Schwartz was the one who decided he didn't want to stay.

It's hard to tell what JS would've done either if we are unable to re-sign Hughes. Would he have switched to 3-4?

CommissarSpartacus
01-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Besides, Schwartz was the one who decided he didn't want to stay.

They HAD to offer him the job, but with Rex wanting his boy from the Jets, no one expected him to take it.

If they fire him, they have to pay off his contract, but if he resigns, they don't.

Although I'm pretty sure they would have worked out some compromise.

swiper
01-28-2015, 02:15 PM
As Thurman said to the media, "the words come out of Rex's mouth." IT would be impractical for Schwartz, or anyone, to go from running the whole show on defense as he did in 2014 to taking a back seat to Ryan.

https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/560138222496677890

It was going to be a situation where Ryan would be praised for defensive successes and Schwartz would get criticized for failures.