• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

1/26: New Charts from Sharp Analysis

Stats show the Patriots became nearly fumble-proof after a 2006 rule change backed by Tom Brady

While speculation exists that “Deflategate” was a one-time occurrence, data I introduced last week indicated that the phenomena could have potentially been an ongoing, long-standing issue for the New England Patriots. That possibility now looks much clearer.

Initially, looking at weather data, I noticed the Patriots performed extremely well in the rain, much more so than they were projected to. I followed that up by looking at the fumble data, which showed, regardless of weather or site, that the Patriots’ prevention of fumbles was nearly impossible. Ironically, both studies saw the same exact starting point: Something started for the Patriots in 2007 that is still going on today.

I wanted to compare the New England Patriots’ fumble rate from 2000, when coach Bill Belichick first arrived in New England, with the rest of the NFL. The below results also look only at total fumbles, not just lost fumbles. This brought us to the ability to capture plays per fumble.

To confirm something was dramatically different in New England, starting in 2007 and running through the present, I compared the 2000–06 time period (when the Patriots won all of their Super Bowls) with the 2007–2014 time period. The beauty of data is that results speak for themselves:

This chart is jaw-dropping, and the visual perfectly depicts what happened. From a more technical perspective, John Candido, a data scientist at ZestFinance who is a colleague of mine over at the NFLproject.com website and was also involved in the development of this research, comments:
    Based on the assumption that plays per fumble follow a normal distribution, you’d expect to see, according to random fluctuation, the results that the Patriots have gotten since 2007 once in 5,842 instances.

Which in layman’s terms means that this result only being a coincidence is like winning a raffle where you have a 0.0001711874 probability to win. In other words, it’s very unlikely that results this abnormal are only due to the endogenous nature of the game.

damn right its jaw dropping. even worse than the original one from a couple days ago, and that was smoking gun material

man they sooooo definitely cheated. now the nfl has to do the right thing. at this point just about any real evidence will seal the deal

how awesome would it be after all this time to have marcia go down in disgrace. i love everybody, but he brought it upon himself. i would enjoy watching that for sure
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • Dr. Who
    • Jul 2002

Re: 1/26: New Charts from Sharp Analysis

Seems pretty damning, though I'm sure Bob Kraft's gladiator pal will explain how this is all hate propaganda.

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

Your theory can be "deflated" by the Patriots claiming skill and luck.

I do agree though that there is something to this.

How have the Pats players that benefited during their tenure performed when they played elsewhere?

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
        Your theory can be "deflated" by the Patriots claiming skill and luck.

I do agree though that there is something to this.

How have the Pats players that benefited during their tenure performed when they played elsewhere?
        He did a piece on that too. Every player fumbled more. Benjarvis never fumbled in 4 years with New England, then he fumbles 5 times in Cincy in 2 years, which was his similar to his fumble rate in college.

Comment

• harmonkoz
          Spartacus is a troll
          • Oct 2002

I said in the other thread this was posted in yesterday that I thought the first blog entry was the smoking gun, now into the fourth--I would say the gun is on fire.

I would like to see more major outlets pick this up besides the WSJ and Slate.
          The Dolphins Blow, the Jets Swallow, and the Patriots take it in the arse.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

you guys are crazy. Bill Bellichick has found the ultimate coaching secret for not fumbling the ball

- Spartacus
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
              Making Spirits Bright
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
              you guys are crazy. Bill Bellichick has found the ultimate coaching secret for not fumbling the ball

- Spartacus
              Obviously, when Belichick says 'don't fumble,' his players listen to him. Players think that when other coaches say it it's a joke. Also, I'm sure there are a handful of coaches in the NFL that don't take fumbling seriously and never tell their players to hold on to the football.

Comment

• Meathead
                • Jul 2002

you guys disgust me. its obviously bills sheer genius that gave his team magical fumble avoidance powers

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

BB can solve fumbling in the NBA.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Meathead
                    • Jul 2002

this is actually wonderful news

bill is obviously onto something. this skill could save the world. it could get kids to eat their broccoli every time, it could turn a visit to the dmv into a swift and pleasant experience, and it might even get jewish girls to swallow

Comment

• gebobs
                      One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                      Based on the assumption that plays per fumble follow a normal distribution, you’d expect to see, according to random fluctuation, the results that the Patriots have gotten since 2007 once in 5,842 instances.
                      Or once every 200 years in a 32-team league.
                      Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                        Or once every 200 years in a 32-team league.
                        "...the results the Patriots have gotten since 2007 once in 5,842 instances."

His analysis spans an 8 year period, so by 'instance' he means 8 year span. He's saying that out of 32 teams, there would be 1 outlier like the Patriots in an 8 year span once out of every 5,842 measured 8 year spans.

Comment

• gebobs
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by harmonkoz View Post
                          I said in the other thread this was posted in yesterday that I thought the first blog entry was the smoking gun, now into the fourth--I would say the gun is on fire.
                          Haha...you know if it was anyone else but Belichick, Shiva would be more convincing. Sure we can think up all kinds of crazy scenarios where the CIA smuggled the balls out of that bathroom through an a/c vent, dunked them in flaming thermite to raise the pressure, and then got them back for game time.

But this is Belichick, a guy with a long history of bending and breaking the rules just to give his team an advantage on the field they wouldn't otherwise have just playing mano a mano. Heck, it wasn't just a few weeks ago he was rushing in ineligible receivers to screw up the Ravens coverage.

Comment

• gebobs
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                            "...the results the Patriots have gotten since 2007 once in 5,842 instances."

His analysis spans an 8 year period, so by 'instance' he means 8 year span. He's saying that out of 32 teams, there would be 1 outlier like the Patriots in an 8 year span once out of every 5,842 measured 8 year spans.
                            Once every 1600 years then. The last time this happened was during the reign of Theodoric the Great. ;-)

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                              Once every 1600 years then. The last time this happened was during the reign of Theodoric the Great. ;-)
                              Yeah, but that was a great team. They revolutionized the way players hold the football.

Comment

Working...
                              X