Refs didn't actually check the game balls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strongman
    • Apr 2006

Refs didn't actually check the game balls?

Keep in mind that this is coming from a Boston area reporter. If true, it's a head scratcher and makes me say WTF!

Report: Under-inflated balls were approved by refs prior to AFC Championship game

BOSTON — Referees approved the footballs used by the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship game, even though they were under the NFL’s allowable PSI prior to the game, CBS Boston reports.

According to CBS Boston, sources said referees approved 12 game footballs prior to the game, and the under inflated footballs were perhaps not inspected properly.

From CBS Boston reporter:

One thing that has been reported this last week, as we’ve been learning about how footballs are treated before a game is that before every game, a referee measured with a pressure gauge each football to see if the pressure in each one is between 12.5 and 13.5 PSI.

But that apparently isn’t always the case. As a matter of fact, from what I’ve been told, many times the refs don’t test the pressure of each ball with a gauge at all. Sometimes refs hold the ball, squeeze it, briefly inspect it, then sign off on it. Next ball. It’s never been a problem before. This is apparently a well known fact in the NFL.

Now according to my sources, The Patriots turned in their footballs to the ref at a pressure just below the allowable PSI.

If it’s a situation where the refs DID use a gauge, the refs would see the balls were under inflated, and inflate them to the proper size. But in this case, the balls were approved and given back to the Patriots under-inflated.

Thus, the under-inflated balls. The Patriots, according to my sources, played with league approved deflated balls.

This is just the latest turn in the bizarre saga of Deflate-gate.

On Monday, the NFL reportedly interviewed a locker-room attendant who may have had contact with the footballs after they were handled by the refs.
    Articles and videos about Report: Under-inflated balls were approved by refs prior to AFC Championship game on FOX13 News | Seattle & Western Washington | Formerly Q13 News.
  • Strongman
    • Apr 2006

Re: Refs didn't actually check the game balls?

98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher and Rich Show” reports that the Patriots turned in their game balls slightly under-inflated and an official — presumably head referee Walt Anderson — signed off on them. The show’s source indicated that a pressure gauge was not used.

Complete BS!

Comment

• harmonkoz
      Spartacus is a troll
      • Oct 2002

What a crock of s***. Good luck NFL. I for one am sick and tired of rules that are not enforced or enforced inconsistently. If this turns out to be true, there will be a s*** storm coming.
      The Dolphins Blow, the Jets Swallow, and the Patriots take it in the arse.

Comment

• harmonkoz
        Spartacus is a troll
        • Oct 2002

Cue fartacus and his jizzed up z key, enlightening us on what this all really means. Thanks in advance troll.
        The Dolphins Blow, the Jets Swallow, and the Patriots take it in the arse.

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

laziness on the part of the refs does not excuse intentional cheating on the part of the filthy cheating cheaters who cheat cheat cheat
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Strongman
            • Apr 2006

They submitted under-inflated game balls to the refs who signed off on them. I was wondering why, in Belicheat's last presser, who made the point that he asked the refs to "inflate to 12.5 psi." I thought that was an unusual thing to say.

You only ask to inflate something when it is under-inflated. The Cheatriots knew what the psi's were.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

So the refs are in on it with the Patriots. No ****, it's not like that hasn't been obvious for 15 years or more.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

Sounds like speculation...speculation on the part of Patriots-Land to explain it away.

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

I'm Bob Kraft and I approve of this story.

Comment

• GvilleBills
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                    I'm Bob Kraft and I approve of this story.

and as a result, expect an apology from the league immediately.
                    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• Spartacus
                      • Mar 2003

And how do we know the balls wwere underinflated when the pats turned them over to the refs if the refs didn't test them?

Oh, that's right, a SOURCE says so.

And how does this SOURCE know this?

Hmmmmmmmmmm? Was he in the room when Brady gave the ball-boy his instructions?

I suspect if we ever see a picture of this "source", it will look suspiciously like the inside of someone's colon...
                      Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM.
                      My tebya razdavim

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

Patriots and refs in cahoots? Couldn't be.

Comment

• upstart
                          Sir Osis of Liver
                          • Sep 2006

Bingo.... now STFU, as, I posted in the other thread...

The rule says the balls must be in the possession of the refs 2 hours before game time so that they can be tested for specs, it does not say that the balls must meet those specs when delivered to the ref. So, if the balls arrived underinflated and the ref missed it, no rules were violated.

I laugh
                          The NFL forgot the main component of any business model, the customer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          The ONLY reason to oppose Voter ID laws is to endorse Vote Fraud.

Comment

• upstart
                            Sir Osis of Liver
                            • Sep 2006

Go Pats Go.

Americas Team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• upstart
                              Sir Osis of Liver
                              • Sep 2006

Life is good

Comment

Working...
                              X