PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Thurman on what scheme Bills will use

swiper
01-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Many. And many of which the personnel dictate. Good to hear the new guys may be open to that.

With various players on the Bills roster who are better fits for one defensive scheme over another, would the Bills make the switch back to the defense that has served Ryan and Thurman so well in the past? At least at this point in time, that won't be the case.

"Whatever the talent dictates," Thurman said Tuesday. "We'll play a 3-4, we'll play a 4-3. We'll get in the 46. We'll get in an odd front. It's whatever our guys do best. We're gonna play to their strengths, and when you do that, you're giving your guys a chance to be successful. That's what it really comes down to, is those guys that are out there on the field, are you giving them the opportunity to go out and succeed? So it doesn't matter."

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=453393

YardRat
01-28-2015, 04:12 PM
'Our guys' did best under Schwartz, not Pettine/Ryan, so hopefully the new crew is watching a lot of 2014 film and taking notes.

GvilleBills
01-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Pettine is not Ryan. Ryan stops the run.

I liked Schwartz. Can't say I'm disappointed in getting the best proven coach on the market.

Pinkerton Security
01-28-2015, 04:48 PM
Very few teams employee a strict base D - I'm sure the Bills sprinkled in some 3-4, 4-6, etc through last year, so I have confidence Rex will put our guys in the right positions to succeed.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Has any coordinator ever come in and said "We're running a base [formation] and making our guys fit the scheme." ? As far back as I can remember, every single one has given some variation on this answer.

Night Train
01-28-2015, 05:27 PM
Has any coordinator ever come in and said "We're running a base [formation] and making our guys fit the scheme." ? As far back as I can remember, every single one has given some variation on this answer.

Wanny says hello.

EDS
01-28-2015, 05:28 PM

I liked Schwartz. Can't say I'm disappointed in getting the best proven coach on the market.

No love for Fox?

Mace
01-28-2015, 05:32 PM

The thing is, Schwartz got pressure mostly just rushing 4, which let them play a db in a sweet spot downfield in the middle. Ryan/Pettine is necessarily multiple look and blitz happy.

The problem might just be that the linemen don't much care for stopping the run besides Dareus. Kyle Williams, high motor achiever, has been a DT on the worst rushing D's through his career, you see Mario trying not to get dirty or hit the ground. It might not be a problem with Brown and Alonso as 3 down LB's doing cleanup and the hitter Searcy, but the Buddy Ryan hybrid defense tree depends a lot on more than the front 4, mostly the db's, while Schwartz's wide 9 depended huge on the front 4 penetrating.

Ryan was just not the best proven coach on the market, though again, I like Ryan. Mike Shanahan was and I don't like Mike Shanahan.

I don't think we need worry about the D, but then again, we didn't anyway.

Thurman is to Ryan as Modkins (OC) was to Gailey though. Sidekick.

Mace
01-28-2015, 05:34 PM
No love for Fox?

Fox only left Denver the day we hired Ryan, so he wasn't really on the market yet.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Wanny says hello.

That's what he did but I don't remember that being what he said. My recollection is that he said the same "We'll scheme to our personnel" platitudes.

YardRat
01-28-2015, 05:42 PM
"We'll do what Rex tells me to do."

Mace
01-28-2015, 05:48 PM
That's what he did but I don't remember that being what he said. My recollection is that he said the same "We'll scheme to our personnel" platitudes.

Might be, I try not to think about it and make pretend it never happened. I've never seen anyone look so lost and helpless when they showed him in the booth. I felt bad for him, despite how bad I felt for me dealing with watching the results.

djjimkelly
01-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Fox only left Denver the day we hired Ryan, so he wasn't really on the market yet.

id still want ryan

coastal
01-29-2015, 07:49 AM
So refreshing to hear a Bills coach say that

Mr. Miyagi
01-29-2015, 10:34 AM
"Whatever the talent dictates," Thurman said Tuesday. "We'll play a 3-4, we'll play a 4-3. We'll get in the 46. We'll get in an odd front. It's whatever our guys do best. We're gonna play to their strengths, and when you do that, you're giving your guys a chance to be successful. That's what it really comes down to, is those guys that are out there on the field, are you giving them the opportunity to go out and succeed? So it doesn't matter."
We've heard this before. Pettine pretty much said the exact same thing when he first got here.

justasportsfan
01-29-2015, 10:37 AM

translation
"the scheme will be dictated by the players we have But we will be bringing in players that play 3-4 until we have nothing but talent that play 3-4"

Mahdi
01-29-2015, 12:37 PM
This year's defense did well against QBs who like to hit longer developing routes such as Manning, Cutler, and Rodgers.

However, we struggled against teams that like to throw the short routes because we don't have the corners to press hard at the LoS.

Brady, Tannehill, Carr, Alex Smith, Rivers all hurt us by bleeding our defense slowly.

I would rather have a defense that attacks full out.

Dr. Who
01-29-2015, 12:53 PM
I liked not seeing the defense routinely gashed in running plays.
An aggressive D is fun to watch, but if one is predictably aggressive, that's not always a good thing.
That said, I think Ryan is a superior defensive mind. Hard to see the talent on D failing.
Average offense gets this team into the play-offs. Above average and they are dangerous.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-29-2015, 01:20 PM
There are talking about all time great defenses in Pittsburgh these days leading to superbowl, obvious in reference to the 70s Steel Curtain, the mid 80 Bears and 2000 Ravens. Those defenses won superbowls.

Those defenses have multiple HOF players. Rex has coached a borderline HOF Revis in NYJ. I just don't see a single HOF player on this Bills defense.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-29-2015, 04:01 PM
I am really not all too worried with Rex running the D. I just hope he has a hands off approach to the O and gets a good qb.

X-Era
01-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Very few teams employee a strict base D - I'm sure the Bills sprinkled in some 3-4, 4-6, etc through last year, so I have confidence Rex will put our guys in the right positions to succeed.They absolutely did. I think this issue is overstated.

better days
01-29-2015, 04:08 PM

Yes, the Bucs with Revis at CB switched to the cover two defense which does not need a CB that can play man coverage, let alone one of the best in the entire NFL.