PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Bills pursuing Revis in free agency

RandolphDuke
02-01-2015, 09:16 AM
That would make things interesting, however if Pegula is going to write an enormous check, I'd rather see him pay a qb.

http://i.imgur.com/cB2Hw2p.png

YardRat
02-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Revis is good, but the Island sunk a couple of seasons ago...he plays with more help now than he probably ever did.

Wouldn't kick him out of the locker room, and obviously he would still be an upgrade over what we have, but hope he isn't looking for crippling money.

We should probably expect Rexy to bring in a few of his favorites, but in all honest after the mass exodus west by his coaching staff I'm not real confident his first priority is upgrading anything, but rather surrounding himself with his guys.

Finally, it's a couple of easy dots to connect, not like it's an earth-shattering revelation from Schefter.

DraftBoy
02-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Moves Leodis back to the slot and gives Gilmore a guy to learn from, who at one time was the best shut down man coverage guy in the league.

Question though is what becomes of Graham who also played very well last year. Gotta think he'll be in a fight with Leodis, unless they see him more in a safety role.

DraftBoy
02-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Revis is good, but the Island sunk a couple of seasons ago...he plays with more help now than he probably ever did.

Wouldn't kick him out of the locker room, and obviously he would still be an upgrade over what we have, but hope he isn't looking for crippling money.

We should probably expect Rexy to bring in a few of his favorites, but in all honest after the mass exodus west by his coaching staff I'm not real confident his first priority is upgrading anything, but rather surrounding himself with his guys.

Finally, it's a couple of easy dots to connect, not like it's an earth-shattering revelation from Schefter.

Revis had a bit of a resurgence this year in New England. Hell even in Tampa he was still the 2nd least targeted CB in the NFL (once per 15 snaps), even if he's not at the same level of shutting down the opponents WR he's still has an effect based on that reputation and closes down a portion of the field for a majority of the snaps which is a good thing.

cookie G
02-01-2015, 10:58 AM
sigh...

Mace
02-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Schefter is going downhill quick.

YardRat
02-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Revis had a bit of a resurgence this year in New England. Hell even in Tampa he was still the 2nd least targeted CB in the NFL (once per 15 snaps), even if he's not at the same level of shutting down the opponents WR he's still has an effect based on that reputation and closes down a portion of the field for a majority of the snaps which is a good thing.

True, his rep certainly helps cut down the attempts (which is good, agreed), but it's few and far between when he isn't getting help over the top.

Dr. Who
02-01-2015, 11:32 AM
That would make things interesting, however if Pegula is going to write an enormous check, I'd rather see him pay a qb.

http://i.imgur.com/cB2Hw2p.png

Where do you think the Bills are going to get a franchise qb worth an enormous check?

I'd rather spend the money securing Dareus long-term and improving the o-line; perhaps at te.
Revis seems to me a luxury. If he expects 20 million, forget it.

DraftBoy
02-01-2015, 11:34 AM
True, his rep certainly helps cut down the attempts (which is good, agreed), but it's few and far between when he isn't getting help over the top.

Well in Rex's system he's not going to get the help. Am I correct in assuming that you are not a fan of this pursuit?

sudzy
02-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Schefter is going downhill quick.

So much of what Schefter says is a guess passed off as inside knowledge.

YardRat
02-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Well in Rex's system he's not going to get the help. Am I correct in assuming that you are not a fan of this pursuit?

Depends on the cost. I wouldn't mind having Revis here for a couple of seasons, but I don't want to stuff his bank account when there are other more pressing needs and guys that have actually earned a payday playing for Buffalo coming up in the next two years.

stuckincincy
02-01-2015, 11:44 AM
So much of what Schefter says is a guess passed off as inside knowledge.

CEO's use that method to hop from company to company...

ct bills fan
02-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Revis was the 4th rated cb in the league - qb rating in the low 60s vs him. Plus, at 29, he's the same age as mckelvin. Now we have to pay attention to the cap and probably need to sign a guard, qb and a DE (if we don't resign Hughes) and need money in 2016 to resign Dareus, Glenn and Gilmore, but we have 20+ million under the cap now, I believe. Maybe we could.trade mckelvin for a 3rd or a TE and save 6+ million with that contract gone. Just saying, if you have a chance to.sign a superstar you do it, even if it's in an area of perceived strength

chris66
02-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Revis is still under contract. Albeit for 20 million. Pats already stated that they wont mind paying the 20 if a long term deal cant get done. my guess is 4/60 with 30-35 guaranteed gets it done

better days
02-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Revis is still under contract. Albeit for 20 million. Pats already stated that they wont mind paying the 20 if a long term deal cant get done. my guess is 4/60 with 30-35 guaranteed gets it done

They can say that now.

Let's see if they actually do that when the time comes.

We all know what LIARS the Pats* are.

The Jokeman
02-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Moves Leodis back to the slot and gives Gilmore a guy to learn from, who at one time was the best shut down man coverage guy in the league.

Question though is what becomes of Graham who also played very well last year. Gotta think he'll be in a fight with Leodis, unless they see him more in a safety role.

I think it's Scheftler purely connecting the Revis to Ryan dot and nothing more than speculation and nothing more. I really can't see us pursuing Revis. As don't see the need for a starting CB high on our list.

swiper
02-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Speculation.

Night Train
02-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I think it's BS to rattle some cages, with everyone knowing Pegula is loaded with cash after the monster purchase price.

This is the Bills telling the NFL they're in the running for anyone they want and will pay them.

I hope some of those 2-3 good FA Guards are reading this and calling their agents.

better days
02-01-2015, 04:20 PM
I think it's BS to rattle some cages, with everyone knowing Pegula is loaded with cash after the monster purchase price.

This is the Bills telling the NFL they're in the running for anyone they want and will pay them.

I hope some of those 2-3 good FA Guards are reading this and calling their agents.

It is GREAT to see the Bills become relevant again, thanks to Pegula.

Even those that don't like Rex have to admit that he was not a second tier hire like Marrone was.

And the only talk of the Bills moving is to which neighborhood in BUFFALO they will eventually move.

stuckincincy
02-01-2015, 04:41 PM
It is GREAT to see the Bills become relevant again, thanks to Pegula.

Even those that don't like Rex have to admit that he was not a second tier hire like Marrone was.

And the only talk of the Bills moving is to which neighborhood in BUFFALO they will eventually move.

His Sabres' club is marching towards their 4th straight season on the outs. Is that RELEVANT, thanks to Pegula?

ct bills fan
02-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Relevant in 4 years when the cup comes to Buffalo

stuckincincy
02-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Relevant in 4 years when the cup comes to Buffalo

I'll be dead by then. So come Judgement Day, drinks are on me! :kid:

justasportsfan
02-02-2015, 10:55 AM
I would rather use the $ to pay Hughes than Revis.

If the report is true however, this means bills are going to start moving back to 3-4.

jimmifli
02-02-2015, 11:00 AM
**** that. We have 3 starting caliber CBs and a solid slot db. What the **** do we need him for?

Why would we **** around with a defense that has proven itself? This better not be yet another ****ing case of new scheme means we need new players.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-02-2015, 11:43 AM
**** that. We have 3 starting caliber CBs and a solid slot db. What the **** do we need him for?

Why would we **** around with a defense that has proven itself? This better not be yet another ****ing case of new scheme means we need new players.

It is and I suspected this would happen when Schwartz left.

I said this about Ryan's defenses a few weeks ago and I still think it's true. His schemes seem to perform best when he has a HOF caliber talent in the defensive secondary who is capable of doing the role of two guys. In Baltimore it was Reed, in New York it was Revis. In both cases, they freed up a player (usually the strong safety) for Rex to get creative with disguising blitzes and coverages. Buffalo's defensive backfield is ok, but no one back there is capable of that.

I still think Revis is elite, but I don't think laying out the coin he'd require is justifiable with so many linemen needing deals soon. And I would always prioritize elite linemen over elite corners.

The Jokeman
02-02-2015, 12:26 PM
I would rather use the $ to pay Hughes than Revis.

If the report is true however, this means bills are going to start moving back to 3-4.

If so than we better trade Kyle Williams ASAP.

jimmifli
02-02-2015, 01:48 PM
It is and I suspected this would happen when Schwartz left.

I said this about Ryan's defenses a few weeks ago and I still think it's true. His schemes seem to perform best when he has a HOF caliber talent in the defensive secondary who is capable of doing the role of two guys. In Baltimore it was Reed, in New York it was Revis. In both cases, they freed up a player (usually the strong safety) for Rex to get creative with disguising blitzes and coverages. Buffalo's defensive backfield is ok, but no one back there is capable of that.

I still think Revis is elite, but I don't think laying out the coin he'd require is justifiable with so many linemen needing deals soon. And I would always prioritize elite linemen over elite corners.

Yep. Rex knows a how to build a good defense. But we don't need someone to build a good defense. We needed someone to run our already good defense and to build an not totally horse- **** offense.

I'm optimistic about our offense, I think we've got talent and just needed an NFL caliber scheme. I just hope this is Schefter pulling **** from his ass because I don't need to see yet another rebuild. Rex gets no honeymoon, this team makes the playoffs or he's a disappointment.

better days
02-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Yep. Rex knows a how to build a good defense. But we don't need someone to build a good defense. We needed someone to run our already good defense and to build an not totally horse- **** offense.

I'm optimistic about our offense, I think we've got talent and just needed an NFL caliber scheme. I just hope this is Schefter pulling **** from his ass because I don't need to see yet another rebuild. Rex gets no honeymoon, this team makes the playoffs or he's a disappointment.

I agree the Bills need to make the playoffs & I have no doubt that the Bills will do that with Rex in Charge.

I don't think there was anyone better than Roman available to run the Bills offense & in fact the Bills interviewed him to be HC.

CB is the most important position in the defense Rex runs & if Revis were one of those CB's it would be unreal.

Skooby
02-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Revis will be an all-star in Rex's defense with everyone we have, Kiko is going to come back and be like dang we're good.

kscdogbillsfan1221
02-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Revis will be an all-star in Rex's defense with everyone we have, Kiko is going to come back and be like dang we're good.

all true. but which one of them is gonna play quarterback and block for him? lol

better days
02-02-2015, 04:40 PM
all true. but which one of them is gonna play quarterback and block for him? lol

Well, the QB & Guard positions are still murky at this point, but it is only Feb 2nd.

jamze132
02-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Anyone who doesn't think Revis' price tag is worth it is simply nuts.

Mahdi
02-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Rex needs a CB who can take away one side of the field in order to allow him to use exotic blitzes.

Gilmore and McKelvin are solid players but have not been that so far in their careers.

Revis would allow Rex to play his defense properly. I very much expect to see Buffalo go after Revis hard.

If not possible they will turn their attention to Cromartie and Byron Maxwell.

BleedinGreenNC
02-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Rex needs a CB who can take away one side of the field in order to allow him to use exotic blitzes.

Gilmore and McKelvin are solid players but have not been that so far in their careers.

Revis would allow Rex to play his defense properly. I very much expect to see Buffalo go after Revis hard.

If not possible they will turn their attention to Cromartie and Byron Maxwell.

Cro will be back in NY, and hopefully we can get Revis as well

better days
02-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Cro will be back in NY, and hopefully we can get Revis as well

Why are you so sure Cro will be back in NJ?

I think both Cro & Revis would rather play for Rex than play in NJ for a Coach they never played for.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-03-2015, 01:22 PM

I think both Cro & Revis would rather play for Rex than play in NJ for a Coach they never played for.

The Jets hired Bowles, Cromartie's coordinator from Arizona.

stuckincincy
02-03-2015, 01:36 PM

NFL players most always go where the $$$ is the max they and their agents think they can get.

better days
02-03-2015, 04:44 PM
NFL players most always go where the $$$ is the max they and their agents think they can get.

I agree with this, but all things being equal I think players want to play for a Coach they like and or in a place they think they can win.

The Jets have money to spend, but so do the Bills.

For the same money, would Cromartie or Revis rather play for the Jets where it is DOUBTFUL they finish above 4th place in the division or for the Bills where they have a good chance to at least finish 2nd in the division with a shot at the playoffs?

swiper
02-03-2015, 06:53 PM
The Jets hired Bowles, Cromartie's coordinator from Arizona.

LOL. And some people wonder why they constantly have people taking shots at their credibility.

BleedinGreenNC
02-03-2015, 07:23 PM

Its a shame how you have no clue.

BleedinGreenNC
02-03-2015, 07:26 PM
I agree with this, but all things being equal I think players want to play for a Coach they like and or in a place they think they can win.

The Jets have money to spend, but so do the Bills.

For the same money, would Cromartie or Revis rather play for the Jets where it is DOUBTFUL they finish above 4th place in the division or for the Bills where they have a good chance to at least finish 2nd in the division with a shot at the playoffs?

Location factors in the equation as well.

better days
02-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Location factors in the equation as well.

How so? New Jersey or Buffalo.

It is not like we are talking Miami or Buffalo.

DraftBoy
02-04-2015, 05:23 AM
How so? New Jersey or Buffalo.

It is not like we are talking Miami or Buffalo.

Slight difference in the media markets.

better days
02-04-2015, 05:37 AM
Slight difference in the media markets.

So what?

Do you REALLY think Cromartie or Revis play for the Jets just because they have more media?

And with Rex as HC, the Bills will get more National media attention than they have in the past.

BleedinGreenNC
02-04-2015, 09:22 AM
So what?

Do you REALLY think Cromartie or Revis play for the Jets just because they have more media?

And with Rex as HC, the Bills will get more National media attention than they have in the past.

And what makes you so sure that Revis wants to play for Rex again?

better days
02-04-2015, 10:42 AM
And what makes you so sure that Revis wants to play for Rex again?

Well, MONEY is the #1 thing on Revis's plate.

After that, Revis became REVIS ISLAND playing for Rex.

That is how Rex used Revis, put Revis on the other teams BEST receiver no matter where they lined up on the field.

Tampa & the Pats* did not do that, the last time Revis was an Island was when he played for Rex.

I think Revis would probably like to be an Island again. I think Revis either signs with the Pats* again or the Bills.

With all the players the Jets NEED to make an improvement, why would they invest as much money in Revis as it would take to get him to New Jersey?

BleedinGreenNC
02-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Well, MONEY is the #1 thing on Revis's plate.

After that, Revis became REVIS ISLAND playing for Rex.

That is how Rex used Revis, put Revis on the other teams BEST receiver no matter where they lined up on the field.

Tampa & the Pats* did not do that, the last time Revis was an Island was when he played for Rex.

I think Revis would probably like to be an Island again. I think Revis either signs with the Pats* again or the Bills.

With all the players the Jets NEED to make an improvement, why would they invest as much money in Revis as it would take to get him to New Jersey?

And why would the Bills invest money in Revis when they already have a decent CB group? It makes more sense for the Jets to go after Revis than it does for Buffalo to go after him, seeing that our CB group is sub par. All you are doing is using Rex as the reason Revis would go to the Bills. And Rex didnt make Revis, he was an incredible player anyways.

better days
02-04-2015, 11:43 AM
And why would the Bills invest money in Revis when they already have a decent CB group? It makes more sense for the Jets to go after Revis than it does for Buffalo to go after him, seeing that our CB group is sub par. All you are doing is using Rex as the reason Revis would go to the Bills. And Rex didnt make Revis, he was an incredible player anyways.

Revis would be a HUGE upgrade from McKelvin.

And the Bills are ready to make the push for the playoffs, thanks to Idzik the Jets are not.

BleedinGreenNC
02-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Revis would be a HUGE upgrade from McKelvin.

And the Bills are ready to make the push for the playoffs, thanks to Idzik the Jets are not.

Push for the playoffs? With whom at QB?

better days
02-04-2015, 01:08 PM
Push for the playoffs? With whom at QB?

Who knows?

All I know is Rex took the Jets to the Championship game twice in a row with Sanchez at QB.

ghz in pittsburgh
02-04-2015, 01:17 PM
If it comes down to Revis or Hughes, there is no debate. Revis hands down. Hughes won't even be the top 3 DE in the open market.

Belichick played too much zone earlier in the season. Once he let Revis play man, NE D changed.

If Rex has two top shelf man to man covering corners, the combination of successful pressures he can bring is endless. However, I doubt Revis will settle for $12 million a year with the Bills like he did with the Pats.

BleedinGreenNC
02-04-2015, 01:45 PM
If it comes down to Revis or Hughes, there is no debate. Revis hands down. Hughes won't even be the top 3 DE in the open market.

Belichick played too much zone earlier in the season. Once he let Revis play man, NE D changed.

If Rex has two top shelf man to man covering corners, the combination of successful pressures he can bring is endless. However, I doubt Revis will settle for $12 million a year with the Bills like he did with the Pats.

And he will not settle with the Jets for $12 million either, anything more than that is overpaying

justasportsfan
02-04-2015, 02:02 PM

If Rex has two top shelf man to man covering corners, the combination of successful pressures he can bring is endless. However, I doubt Revis will settle for $12 million a year with the Bills like he did with the Pats. I would rather have HUghes because Brady doesn't like getting hit. However, Brady has been beaten by the Giants in the SB via coverage sacks. We won't have to worry because, Rexy will run the 3-4.

Mace
02-04-2015, 04:51 PM
McKelvin had his best year in the Pettine/Ryan. Gilmore was damaged but looked pretty good in it by the end. Want to see Graham in a Pettine/Ryan, seems like a good fit. Just don't see a need for Revis and his contract.

better days
02-04-2015, 04:58 PM
McKelvin had his best year in the Pettine/Ryan. Gilmore was damaged but looked pretty good in it by the end. Want to see Graham in a Pettine/Ryan, seems like a good fit. Just don't see a need for Revis and his contract.

Well, if the Bills got Revis, Graham would go back to safety, McKelvin would go to the slot, Ron Brooks would play special teams only or be cut.

The Defense would be much improved with Revis

X-Era
02-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Release McKelvin and Urbik, sign a mid to top tier OG and I'm OK with this move.

Mace
02-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Well, if the Bills got Revis, Graham would go back to safety, McKelvin would go to the slot, Ron Brooks would play special teams only or be cut.

The Defense would be much improved with Revis

Graham can still work safety/CB in a Ryan defense though, that's what his D does with CB's/Safeties, and without the expense of Revis, allowing you to put more money on Dareus/Hughes. There's just no need to put that much money into an already capable position.

better days
02-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Graham can still work safety/CB in a Ryan defense though, that's what his D does with CB's/Safeties, and without the expense of Revis, allowing you to put more money on Dareus/Hughes. There's just no need to put that much money into an already capable position.

I agree with this, but if the Bills could get Revis for $12-$14 Mill, I think he would be worth it.

Coverage sacks. The Bills would not need Hughes because with the pressure Rex brings, Manny Lawson could get to Brady & sack him.

ghz in pittsburgh
02-05-2015, 05:42 AM
Release McKelvin and Urbik, sign a mid to top tier OG and I'm OK with this move.

What's the hate om McKelvin? He's making $4 mil a year, not like he's that expansive either.

Come to Pittsburgh and really see the desparation for a CB.