PDA

View Full Version : Ryan = 3-4? Mario Williams at DE or OLB?

CleveSteve
02-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Hey guys, Rex and co. are putting in a 3-4, right? Any word on if they expect Mario to play DE or OLB? I looked at the topis of the past few weeks and didn't see where this was addressed. Thanks in advance for the info.

The King
02-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Mario has already been told he's going to OLB.

CleveSteve
02-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Cool, thanks King.

better days
02-04-2015, 07:55 AM

And Mario has said he is excited about that.

Rex gets most of his pass rush from the LB position.

feldspar
02-04-2015, 09:10 AM

Not really accurate there. Maybe that's what it will say on his player profile, but it won't be entirely accurate.

He'll definitely play some OLB, and he'll also be put on the line quite a bit. When Pettine was running the defense, I remember Mario saying that he didn't know WHAT position they had him lined up as in many formations.

People want to put the defense in a box, calling it a 3-4 or a 4-3, but it's not nearly that simplistic. It will be a hybrid defense based on personnel, situations, match-ups, etc. This defense should be able to do it all. Can't wait to see it.

Pinkerton Security
02-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Not really accurate there. Maybe that's what it will say on his player profile, but it won't be entirely accurate.

He'll definitely play some OLB, and he'll also be put on the line quite a bit. When Pettine was running the defense, I remember Mario saying that he didn't know WHAT position they had him lined up as in many formations.

People want to put the defense in a box, calling it a 3-4 or a 4-3, but it's not nearly that simplistic. It will be a hybrid defense based on personnel, situations, match-ups, etc. This defense should be able to do it all. Can't wait to see it.

this

Ed
02-04-2015, 10:27 AM

I think people get too concerned with labels as far as scheme and position go. Mario is going to do what he always does, be a dominant edge player, regardless of what you call him or the defensive alignment.