Ryan = 3-4? Mario Williams at DE or OLB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CleveSteve
    • Apr 2011

Ryan = 3-4? Mario Williams at DE or OLB?

Hey guys, Rex and co. are putting in a 3-4, right? Any word on if they expect Mario to play DE or OLB? I looked at the topis of the past few weeks and didn't see where this was addressed. Thanks in advance for the info.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Ryan = 3-4? Mario Williams at DE or OLB?

Mario has already been told he's going to OLB.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• CleveSteve
      • Apr 2011

Cool, thanks King.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The King View Post
        And Mario has said he is excited about that.

Rex gets most of his pass rush from the LB position.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by The King View Post
          Not really accurate there. Maybe that's what it will say on his player profile, but it won't be entirely accurate.

He'll definitely play some OLB, and he'll also be put on the line quite a bit. When Pettine was running the defense, I remember Mario saying that he didn't know WHAT position they had him lined up as in many formations.

People want to put the defense in a box, calling it a 3-4 or a 4-3, but it's not nearly that simplistic. It will be a hybrid defense based on personnel, situations, match-ups, etc. This defense should be able to do it all. Can't wait to see it.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
            Not really accurate there. Maybe that's what it will say on his player profile, but it won't be entirely accurate.

He'll definitely play some OLB, and he'll also be put on the line quite a bit. When Pettine was running the defense, I remember Mario saying that he didn't know WHAT position they had him lined up as in many formations.

People want to put the defense in a box, calling it a 3-4 or a 4-3, but it's not nearly that simplistic. It will be a hybrid defense based on personnel, situations, match-ups, etc. This defense should be able to do it all. Can't wait to see it.
            this

Comment

• Ed
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post

I think people get too concerned with labels as far as scheme and position go. Mario is going to do what he always does, be a dominant edge player, regardless of what you call him or the defensive alignment.

Comment

Working...
              X