PDA

View Full Version : Could the Bills open the season at NE, Thursday night?

Ed
02-03-2015, 04:14 PM
With the Pats winning the SB I believe that they are automatically the host of the Thursday night opener for next season. That means the Bills are one of eight potential opponents for that game. I pray that they don't get picked and normally I would say that there's no chance, but with the Bills coming off their first winning season in a while and Rex taking over, I think there's actually a decent chance they could get picked. Here are their other seven home opponents:

Jacksonville - No chance.

Tennessee - No chance.

Washington - Bad team and they have been a mess for a couple years. Big market team that always gets multiple prime time games regardless, but I just don't see the NFL thinking this is a good choice.

NY Jets - Another bad team that looks to be rebuilding with a new rookie coach. A big market team and a division rival, but that rivalry doesn't look the same right now without Rex being there.

Miami - Another division rival that always seems to play NE tough, but to me they're just a fairly mediocre team that lacks a lot of intrigue or excitement.

Philly - Another team that missed the playoffs, but Philly is always an interesting team with an intriguing HC. Bigger market from the NFC East, so they should definitely be in contention.

Pittsburgh - The Steelers are the only playoff team from this whole group, so I think that automatically makes them the most likely candidate. Storied franchise with a strong national fan base.

So overall I would say the Steelers have the best chance with Philly getting decent consideration. But after those two I could see the Bills being a more intriguing match up than any of the other teams.

What's your guess of who they pick and do the Bills have a chance? Would you want them to be picked? I would hate it, personally.

Skooby
02-03-2015, 04:17 PM
We have a shot at the game, who really knows.

Generalissimus Gibby
With the Pats winning the SB I believe that they are automatically the host of the Thursday night opener for next season. That means the Bills are one of eight potential opponents for that game. I pray that they don't get picked and normally I would say that there's no chance, but with the Bills coming off their first winning season in a while and Rex taking over, I think there's actually a decent chance they could get picked. Here are their other seven home opponents:

Jacksonville - No chance.

Tennessee - No chance.

Washington - Bad team and they have been a mess for a couple years. Big market team that always gets multiple prime time games regardless, but I just don't see the NFL thinking this is a good choice.

NY Jets - Another bad team that looks to be rebuilding with a new rookie coach. A big market team and a division rival, but that rivalry doesn't look the same right now without Rex being there.

Miami - Another division rival that always seems to play NE tough, but to me they're just a fairly mediocre team that lacks a lot of intrigue or excitement.

Philly - Another team that missed the playoffs, but Philly is always an interesting team with an intriguing HC. Bigger market from the NFC East, so they should definitely be in contention.

Pittsburgh - The Steelers are the only playoff team from this whole group, so I think that automatically makes them the most likely candidate. Storied franchise with a strong national fan base.

So overall I would say the Steelers have the best chance with Philly getting decent consideration. But after those two I could see the Bills being a more intriguing match up than any of the other teams.

What's your guess of who they pick and do the Bills have a chance? Would you want them to be picked? I would hate it, personally.

If we had a good off season and upgraded in a few places I would love to upset them on the night they were presented a Lombardi Trophy. It would be great end the career of Tom Brady and Gronkowski and beat them on what is essentially the NFL's version of homecoming.

chris66
That would be cool, but I think its going to be the Steelers opening up.

Generalissimus Gibby
02-03-2015, 04:19 PM
That would be cool, but I think its going to be the Steelers opening up.

Good, they have the talent to beat your cheating hides too.

chris66
02-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Good, they have the talent to beat your cheating hides too. Pats are a bad match up for the Steelers. Pats usually kick there butt pretty convincingly.

Generalissimus Gibby
02-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Pats are a bad match up for the Steelers. Pats usually kick there butt pretty convincingly.

Their, but that's okay. I understand that Pats fans are normally ignorant assclowns anyways so all is forgiven.

Dr. Lecter
02-03-2015, 04:34 PM
I would guess the Steelers are pretty obvious. They are the best team on that list and the idea of Big Ben against Brady on primetime? And the Steelers large followin across the country?

They would deliver the best ratings and most intrigue. I would be shocked if it isn't Pittsburgh

djjimkelly
02-03-2015, 04:47 PM
i dont want the bills opening or ending with the patriots

trapezeus
02-03-2015, 04:48 PM
they would definitely let the pats open against a weak opponent. you have to to keep them alive. get the fair weather fans out pretending to be football fans again. if they lose early, it's the same old, same old...fan interest wanes, and the cheating has to be fired up all over again.

Meathead
02-03-2015, 05:05 PM
cant wait for the pregame demonstration where bill rubs two pounds out of a ball

Dr. Lecter
02-03-2015, 05:10 PM
I thought rubbing 2 pounds out was your speciality

better days
02-03-2015, 05:18 PM
they would definitely let the pats open against a weak opponent. you have to to keep them alive. get the fair weather fans out pretending to be football fans again. if they lose early, it's the same old, same old...fan interest wanes, and the cheating has to be fired up all over again.

So, the Jets then.

stuckincincy
02-03-2015, 05:22 PM
With the Pats winning the SB I believe that they are automatically the host of the Thursday night opener for next season. That means the Bills are one of eight potential opponents for that game. I pray that they don't get picked and normally I would say that there's no chance, but with the Bills coming off their first winning season in a while and Rex taking over, I think there's actually a decent chance they could get picked.

What's your guess of who they pick and do the Bills have a chance?

Pretty good chance. As you mention, BUF's winning season. The league talked up BUF and their defense last season. The resurgent Bills, etc. New ownership, Ralph's death, the Kelly story. Plenty of things to hype.

SpikedLemonade
02-03-2015, 05:27 PM
I hope it is the Bills.

We win that game and it sets the tone for the whole season.

Mr. Pink
02-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I hope it is the Bills.

We win that game and it sets the tone for the whole season.

Like it did in 2003? Oh wait.

SpikedLemonade
02-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Like it did in 2003? Oh wait.

I would rather know early into the season whether we are really capable of being a 11-5 play-off contender rather than once again a 6-10 to 9-7 play-off pretender.

Drew Bledsoe was a pretender.

OpIv37
02-03-2015, 08:05 PM
I want NOTHING to do with giving the Patriots the opportunity to humiliate us in front of the entire country.

BillsImpossible
02-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Patriots vs. Bills in Foxboro for the Thursday Night 2015 NFL season opener is perfect.

Rex Ryan vs. Belichick? That's too hot to pass up.

Every Jets fans in New York will be watching too.

Congrats Ed, I think you nailed the first game of the 2015 NFL season.

BillsImpossible
02-03-2015, 08:08 PM
I want NOTHING to do with giving the Patriots the opportunity to humiliate us in front of the entire country.

I want every opportunity I can get to humiliate the Patriots on national television.

OpIv37
02-03-2015, 08:13 PM
I want every opportunity I can get to humiliate the Patriots on national television.

Do you remember what happened the last few times we played NE on national TV? It's always either a blowout or a choke job so embarrassing that it makes Bill Buckner blush.

I could have gone with Norwood but the alliteration makes it funnier.