PDA

View Full Version : No matter what our front 7 is stacked

Cali512
02-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Manny Lawson plays I believe as a OLB in the 3-4 but I feel like he was inside in Pettines scheme

Brandon Spikes- Can play inside or OLB like in Florida

Kiko- Can probably play a Cushing or Matthews depending if inside or out

Preston- See Spikes

Bradham- I feel like he could be trade bait because hes obviously up and coming but plays much better in the 4-3. Along with all other depth and the fact that Manny had a great year in 3-4 but looks lost in 4-3 makes me believe he could be trade bait for a Foles maybe.

So thats Spikes, Bradham, Kiko, Preston, and possibly Manny fighting for 2 spots. On the outside we have Hughes, Mario, and Lawson
For DL we have Mario, Dareus, Kyle, Charles, and Bryant

So is it

Hughes-Kiko-Spikes-Mario
Kyle, Dareus, Charles?

Kiko-Bradham-Spikes-Hughes
Mario, Dareues, Kyle?

What if we lose Hughes and Spikes?

Mario-Bradham/Lawson-Preston-Kiko
Kyle, Dareus, Charles?

Kiko-Bradham-Preston-Lawson
Mario, Dareus, Kyle?

The variations are endless.

Ed
02-04-2015, 04:05 PM
I think there's a decent chance they won't bring back Spikes.

swiper
02-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Calm down Cali.

The last buffalo fan
02-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Calm down Cali.

:spit:

Mace
02-04-2015, 07:04 PM
I think your front 7 are really your front 6 in a Ryan D. Mario-Kyle-Dareus-Hughes/Lawson, Alonso-Brown, with extra CB/Safety/LB coming in and out (Spikes/Bradham-Graham/Robey to threaten 3-4, 4-3, 46, Tampa-2 or blitz on a given play. The back 4 are a back 5 in a Ryan D.

BillsImpossible
02-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Rex Ryan's mission in his football life is to create the most dominant defense the NFL has seen since 1985.

His father, Buddy Ryan was the defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears in 1985.

The Bears beat the Patriots in the 1985 Super Bowl.

30 years later and the Buffalo Bills defense has the potential to be one of the best ever in 2015.

Jim McMahon, sign him now!

TacklingDummy
02-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Doesn't mean crap without a QB.

Mace
02-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Doesn't mean crap without a QB.

That's why we immediately sign Jim McMahon !

better days
02-04-2015, 10:47 PM
I think your front 7 are really your front 6 in a Ryan D. Mario-Kyle-Dareus-Hughes/Lawson, Alonso-Brown, with extra CB/Safety/LB coming in and out (Spikes/Bradham-Graham/Robey to threaten 3-4, 4-3, 46, Tampa-2 or blitz on a given play. The back 4 are a back 5 in a Ryan D.

Rex plays very little cover 2, his defense is mostly cover 1. Man to man coverage which is why GOOD CB's are so important to his defense.

swiper
02-05-2015, 04:07 AM
The Bills certainly have better CBs than the Jets did. So Ryan has one leg up. Gilmore has to get his groove back however.

YardRat
02-05-2015, 04:27 AM
Rex plays very little cover 2, his defense is mostly cover 1. Man to man coverage which is why GOOD CB's are so important to his defense.

The only reference Mace made to a coverage shell was the Tampa-2, the rest are base fronts. Ryan does seem to like to employ cover-1 more so than not, but he also likes to use more dbacks in his personnel packages.

coastal
02-05-2015, 07:25 AM
Manny Lawson sucks

justasportsfan
02-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Spikes is a bill? When did we re-sign him?

Mace
02-05-2015, 08:19 PM
The only reference Mace made to a coverage shell was the Tampa-2, the rest are base fronts. Ryan does seem to like to employ cover-1 more so than not, but he also likes to use more dbacks in his personnel packages.

Indeedy, cover 1 is the root of the Ryan D. I was meaning that the D will give any look, in any circumstance, without necessarily being that look.

He was asked if that might involve playing more Cover 2 zone defense, to account for his secondary’s deficiencies. Ryan prefers to play mostly man-to-man coverage in the defensive backfield. His father was an aggressive defensive play caller, too. So is Cover 2 a dirty word in the Buddy Ryan/Rex Ryan defense vocabulary?

“That’s a dirty word,” Ryan said with a smile. “But it’s funny, we’ll play Cover 2, depending on our personnel and calls. There are ways of disguising that Cover 2 as well.”

From his Jets days : http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/08/a_rite_of_august_rex_ryan_again_predicts_jets_will_have_top_5_defense.html

better days
02-06-2015, 11:38 AM

Hence my post. I pretty much said the same thing except I added the fact GOOD CB's that can play man coverage are very important in Rex's defense.

stuckincincy
02-06-2015, 12:46 PM

GOOD cbs come at a PREMIUM PRICE these days. Cover 1 has some risks, what with 3 of 4 dbs with their back to the qb. QB scoots, read option plan or not, rb pops through and gets open in the flat, and so on. It will be interesting to see if Rexy pulls such off.