PDA

View Full Version : Which team hired the best head coach?

YardRat
02-06-2015, 04:16 AM
Who made the best decision hiring a new head coach this off-season? Who made the worst? Rank them, if you like.

DraftBoy
02-06-2015, 04:59 AM
I'm gonna go with Dan Quinn for now. The Falcons needed a guy to come in and fix the D and Quinn may have been the best out there for that kind of a job.

better days
02-06-2015, 05:35 AM
Well, IMO the Bills not only got the best HC in Rex, but Rex also hired the best staff which is very important.

Night Train
02-06-2015, 06:43 AM
Most believe it's Rex

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25047886/grading-the-2015-coaching-hires-rex-bills-top-class

BuffaloRedleg
02-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Rex obviously a flawed coach but he was the best candidate out there. I liked him for Buffalo even when Marrone was still coaching.

YardRat
02-06-2015, 04:14 PM
I'm gonna go with Dan Quinn for now. The Falcons needed a guy to come in and fix the D and Quinn may have been the best out there for that kind of a job.

I'm kind of surprised to get that kind of response from you, considering your take on who the Bills should hire when they were still going through the process. Regardless of 'team needs' (Buffalo simply needed somebody to come in and fix the offense) at that time the mindset was to hire 'the best coach, period'.

DraftBoy
02-06-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm kind of surprised to get that kind of response from you, considering your take on who the Bills should hire when they were still going through the process. Regardless of 'team needs' (Buffalo simply needed somebody to come in and fix the offense) at that time the mindset was to hire 'the best coach, period'.

I'm assuming your referring to my preference for Hue Jackson?

Buffalo needed more than somebody to just come in and fix the offense imo. It's not just about individual units with this team, its about an entire culture that needs to be changed.

I believe you always hire the best coach, but we've beaten that horse to death.

chris66
02-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Rex obviously a flawed coach but he was the best candidate out there. I liked him for Buffalo even when Marrone was still coaching.I dont know. Kubiak wasnt available at the time. He and Schwartz probably would have been the best tandem for buffalo

Mace
02-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Ok, I voted Bowles. I really like Bowles after making a point of watching Arizona games. The guy is just relentless, blitzing like a maniac when others would be going passive Prevent. And I like the staff he's using.

1. Bowles, Jets.
2. Fox, Bears. Like the staff he put together. Vic Fangio as DC gives the Bears a shot to be Monsters of the Midway again soon. Gase as OC may be just what Cutler needs. Fox is steadily, reliably good if not elite.
3. Del Rio, Raiders. The hire was panned. Honestly, I think it's a great step toward competitive and fierce. Not the final step to SB contender, but they have a whole lot of issues there and this takes them up another couple notches.
4. Ryan, Bills. I freely admit I might be wrong, but I still don't understand the hire and he mostly replicated his Jets situation. This will be either very good, or very not good.
5. Quinn, Falcons. Outside the loving arms of Carroll's tribe, he reminds me of Gus Bradley in Jacksonville. BUT, he has offensive talent there and can focus on his bread and butter.
6. Kubiak, Broncos. Looks like a step backwards to me. Kubiak is not a bad coach, but not a top notch guy either. I think Elway went with comfortable and it will cost them.
7. Tomsula, 49'ers. I sure hope he expresses himself better in private than in public. Inexplicable hire. I think Baalke the GM just ruined himself and Jed York might be the first CEO to be fired by his parents as the franchise surely declines.

I just can't give the Bills too much credit for reinventing the wheel, then re-reinventing the wheel in one offseason unless they make me look stupid and it works.

YardRat
02-06-2015, 06:20 PM
I'm assuming your referring to my preference for Hue Jackson?

Buffalo needed more than somebody to just come in and fix the offense imo. It's not just about individual units with this team, its about an entire culture that needs to be changed.

I believe you always hire the best coach, but we've beaten that horse to death.

Fair enough.

I'm going with--

1-Fox--I agree with Mace
2-Quinn--I agree he's a good fit for Atlanta
3-Bowles--He knows D, and hiring a decent, experienced OC is a big plus
4-Kubiak--he (or Jackson) would have been a great hire for Buffalo, IMO
5-Ryan--don't like the D reversion, or JetsWest staff
6-Del Rio--Might end up being a better fit than I expect
7-Tomsula--What a cop out

Mace
02-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Fair enough.

I'm going with--

1-Fox--I agree with Mace

More time passes, more I like a Hue Jackson/Jim Schwartz combo as my best case, or a Jim Schwartz/Greg Roman combo. Oh well.

swiper
02-07-2015, 04:51 AM
Chicago Bears

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough.

I'm going with--

1-Fox--I agree with Mace

Good list. Mine would almost mirror this one. It's just hard to know how the first time coaches will turn out at this point. It's highly likely that smart guys with prior head coaching experience (Kubiak, Del Rio) will rise above what they have done in the past. Kubiak will certainly have the support of John Elway. Del Rio just needs a good offensive coordinator. But even he is much more tuned into the offensive side of the ball than Ryan is. I don't understand why Ryan gets all the love he does. He's a buffoon.

sudzy
02-07-2015, 04:53 AM
Who is to say that Schwartz would have stayed here with anyone, if he didn't get the HC job?

better days
02-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Fair enough.

I'm going with--

1-Fox--I agree with Mace

1-Fox: A good defensive Coach with HC experience. A good hire by the Bears, but I think Rex is a better Defensive Coach than Fox who will have his work cut out for him in Chicago.

2-Quinn: A good defensive Coach with no experience as a HC. Like Fox, he will have his work cut out for him in Hotlanta.

3-Bowles: Another good defensive Coach with no experience as a HC. I expect him to be fired before that team is turned around.

4. Kubiak: A good offensive Coach, should do well in Denver, a good fit for him.

5. Ryan: A good defensive Coach with experience as a HC. Should have learned some things from his first HC job with the Jets.

6 Del Rio: A good defensive Coach with HC experience. Like Ryan should have learned from his first HC job & the Jags have fallen apart since they fired him.

7. Tomsula: A position Coach like Marrone LMAO at this hire.

Mace
02-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Who is to say that Schwartz would have stayed here with anyone, if he didn't get the HC job?

Well, he was under contract for another year and besides Washington asking permission to interview, had no others to lure him away. Would have likely been another year to pad his resume with a loaded D-line. They could have sweetened him with an extension and assistant HC title, and new HC could have not worried about the D any.

He only asked out supposedly because he and Ryan are worlds apart on defensive philosophy.

casdhf
02-07-2015, 10:57 AM
:homer:

better days
02-07-2015, 01:21 PM
:homer:

As far as I know, nobody on this board is a paid media type.

Every person on this board is either a Homer or a Troll.

gr8slayer
02-07-2015, 02:20 PM

Eh, he won't have the same level of talent to work with. He's taking a major downgrade at virtually every position.

DraftBoy
02-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Eh, he won't have the same level of talent to work with. He's taking a major downgrade at virtually every position.

No he won't, but he's developed some good players in Seattle and at Florida. He'll need Pioli to make the right calls in the draft room, but he has proven he can develop talent.

better days
02-08-2015, 11:03 AM
No he won't, but he's developed some good players in Seattle and at Florida. He'll need Pioli to make the right calls in the draft room, but he has proven he can develop talent.

Yeah, Quinn has proven to be a good defensive Coach, but he has not proved he can be a successful HC in the NFL.

At the very least, he will take time to learn on the job.

Few people have the success Rex Ryan & Jim Harbaugh had from the start.

gr8slayer
02-08-2015, 01:53 PM

If you're counting on Pioli to draft good talent, you're screwed before Quinn even starts. He's also taking on an offense that needs some work, and isn't getting any younger in some key positions. He's going to get off to a rough start.

stuckincincy
02-08-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm still stunned that the new owner hired this bombastic, self-serving, self-promoting ass. Posters on this site - for years - have correctly lambasted him.

DraftBoy
02-08-2015, 02:52 PM
If you're counting on Pioli to draft good talent, you're screwed before Quinn even starts. He's also taking on an offense that needs some work, and isn't getting any younger in some key positions. He's going to get off to a rough start.

Agreed on both accounts, but the focus is on the D. It has to be. Atlanta has their franchise QB, a hopeful franchise LT, a top 5 WR, and a potential stud RB. They need some work but the D is a disaster area right now.

Skooby
02-08-2015, 08:21 PM
John Fox got Denver to the second round of the playoffs with Tebow playing QB.

better days
02-08-2015, 11:21 PM
I'm still stunned that the new owner hired this bombastic, self-serving, self-promoting ass. Posters on this site - for years - have correctly lambasted him.

Feel free to cheer for a different team of losers. You do live in Cinci.

The Pegula's have hired an aggressive HC that is not afraid to take on anybody. I LOVE it.

BleedinGreenNC
02-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Feel free to cheer for a different team of losers. You do live in Cinci.

The Pegula's have hired an aggressive HC that is not afraid to take on anybody. I LOVE it.

Your love affair with Rex is creepy

better days
02-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Your love affair with Rex is creepy

I just looked at the ganggreen Jets board yesterday.

I was AMAZED at how many Jets fans still LOVE Rex.

And many of the Jets fans that don't love him are afraid to face the Rex led Bills this year.

ParanoidAndroid
02-11-2015, 09:16 AM
Remember that Roman was a fairly strong candidate for a head coaching position himself. The Ryan hire allowed us to get a well respected, established OC. This is a monumental upgrade over Hackett that may well have not happened if we didn't score the top HC candidate.

BleedinGreenNC
02-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I just looked at the ganggreen Jets board yesterday.

I was AMAZED at how many Jets fans still LOVE Rex.

And many of the Jets fans that don't love him are afraid to face the Rex led Bills this year.

Afraid to face him? Everyone knows what he is going to do, his schemes have been figured out just like the wildcats schemes have been figured out. Like I have said before, Rex was the beneficiary of a previous regimes players, once he got his hands on getting his own players then the team suffered.

better days
02-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Afraid to face him? Everyone knows what he is going to do, his schemes have been figured out just like the wildcats schemes have been figured out. Like I have said before, Rex was the beneficiary of a previous regimes players, once he got his hands on getting his own players then the team suffered.

So, I take it you are one of the FEW Jets fans that does not think Idzik is responsible for the collapse of the Jets.

You don't think Rex WANTED Revis on the team?

And like the Bucs when Gruden came to Tampa, Rex bought in guys needed to IMPROVE the team.

Just like the Bucs it was a short term fix because they could not keep those players.

BleedinGreenNC
02-11-2015, 12:15 PM
So, I take it you are one of the FEW Jets fans that does not think Idzik is responsible for the collapse of the Jets.

You don't think Rex WANTED Revis on the team?

And like the Bucs when Gruden came to Tampa, Rex bought in guys needed to IMPROVE the team.

Just like the Bucs it was a short term fix because they could not keep those players.

Both Idzik and Ryan played a part in the Jets sucking. If you think Rex is the answer to your teams problems then you are going to have a rude awakening. He wore out his welcome with the Jets, and it will happen with the Bills, just a matter of time.

better days
02-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Both Idzik and Ryan played a part in the Jets sucking. If you think Rex is the answer to your teams problems then you are going to have a rude awakening. He wore out his welcome with the Jets, and it will happen with the Bills, just a matter of time.

You are probably right about Rex wearing out his welcome in Buffalo.

Gruden wore out his welcome in Tampa, but not before winning a Super Bowl.

I will take that for the Bills if Rex can deliver.

BleedinGreenNC
02-11-2015, 12:24 PM
You are probably right about Rex wearing out his welcome in Buffalo.

Gruden wore out his welcome in Tampa, but not before winning a Super Bowl.

I will take that for the Bills if Rex can deliver.

Rex will never win a SB as a head coach, he is a glorified assistant that lives off his fathers name. He cant get out of his own way, he cant help it.

stuckincincy
02-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Rex will never win a SB as a head coach, he is a glorified assistant that lives off his fathers name. He cant get out of his own way, he cant help it.

Well said.

better days
02-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Well said.

Well, at least he is not the Bengals HC.

Rex may not win a Super Bowl, few Coaches do, but I will bet he at least gets the Bills to the playoffs.

stuckincincy
02-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Well, at least he is not the Bengals HC.

Rex may not win a Super Bowl, few Coaches do, but I will bet he at least gets the Bills to the playoffs.

You'd best be careful. I'm one of the few remaining friends you have on this site, hanging in despite the constant digs and innuendos you fling my way, often with a paragraph or sentence that includes some sort of appeal to the masses, grasping and using only the literal and not exhibiting an iota of grasping the philosophical, then pointing to previous text which you then dangle up as justification.

Got it?

better days
02-11-2015, 02:59 PM
You'd best be careful. I'm one of the few remaining friends you have on this site, hanging in despite the constant digs and innuendos you fling my way, often with a paragraph or sentence that includes some sort of appeal to the masses, grasping and using only the literal and not exhibiting an iota of grasping the philosophical, then pointing to previous text which you then dangle up as justification.

Got it?

Well, I appreciate your friendship.

But you should know by now that I like to bust balls. Especially those of my friends.