PDA

View Full Version : If your boss offered you an opt out clause...

YardRat
02-06-2015, 04:29 AM
...similar to Marrone's, a three day window, one year's salary guaranteed, would you take it?

DraftBoy
02-06-2015, 04:57 AM
Nope, but I enjoy what I do.

Also I've been told I'm a bit of a workaholic so if I didn't have work I'd probably drive myself insane within a week.

coastal
02-06-2015, 05:25 AM
This thread is one big logical fallacy

sukie
02-06-2015, 06:01 AM
I would take the opt out in a second... I would be working within 2 months

Night Train
02-06-2015, 06:41 AM
Yes

I'm in IT and with a current resume. I would be confident to have something else making around the same $$ very soon with my headhunter being the best.

Then I could buy that retirement house I've been wanting with that extra $$.

Pinkerton Security
02-06-2015, 06:43 AM
If I was the head coach of an NFL team that has a lot of young talent and went 9-7 with some pretty average to below average QB's on the roster? No.

Joe Fo Sho
02-06-2015, 06:53 AM
I would absolutely take it, but only because it would be enough money to start my own company where I could revolutionize the decorative industry of Christmas villages.

Albany,n.y.
02-06-2015, 07:30 AM
For 99.99% of all people, one year's salary isn't enough to be comfortable for the rest of their lives.

Ingtar33
02-06-2015, 07:58 AM
...similar to Marrone's, a three day window, one year's salary guaranteed, would you take it?

nope

justasportsfan
02-06-2015, 08:00 AM
are the circumstances the same as Marrones like abandoning Hackett (etc.) and bills fans? If so, then no.

DraftBoy
02-06-2015, 08:20 AM
are the circumstances the same as Marrones like abandoning Hackett (etc.) and bills fans? If so, then no.

Do you work for the Bills?

The question is if your boss offered you the buyout. This isn't asking you to assume Marrone's position and make the decision for him.

justasportsfan
02-06-2015, 08:35 AM

The question is if your boss offered you the buyout. This isn't asking you to assume Marrone's position and make the decision for him.

let me rephrase then. Did I bring in other people to work under me and know that if I leave, these people could be out of a job too in this place I work that isn't the buffalo bills? If so then, no.

Better?

Parzival
02-06-2015, 08:36 AM

Then what does this thread have to do with the Bills? Of course people are going to relate it to Marrone's buyout clause...

But to answer the question, I would say yes. Of course, I could relatively easily get a similar job within a couple months and just pocket that extra money. NFL head coaching gigs are a little bit harder to come by.

DraftBoy
02-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Then what does this thread have to do with the Bills? Of course people are going to relate it to Marrone's buyout clause...

But to answer the question, I would say yes. Of course, I could relatively easily get a similar job within a couple months and just pocket that extra money. NFL head coaching gigs are a little bit harder to come by.

Well one way would be that many people hated what Marrone did, but based on the results many of you would make the same decision if the same offer was made to you at your current place of employment.

I don't understand how this has become so convoluted and confused. Your boss comes to you and offers you a buy-out with the same terms that Marrone had with the Bills. Do you take it? Everybody's scenario is going to be different which makes the question interesting during an offseason that has already jumped the shark.

DraftBoy
02-06-2015, 08:58 AM
let me rephrase then. Did I bring in other people to work under me and know that if I leave, these people could be out of a job too in this place I work that isn't the buffalo bills? If so then, no.

Better?

I don't know, did you?

Just base the question being asked on reality and answer it that way. If your boss came to you and said here is a buyout offer of one years salary. Do you take it right now based on your own life and circumstances?

justasportsfan
02-06-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't know, did you?

Just base the question being asked on reality and answer it that way. If your boss came to you and said here is a buyout offer of one years salary. Do you take it right now based on your own life and circumstances?

Since the out clause was "like Marrones" , I had to point out the other circumstances surrounding that Marrone opt out clause.

BuffaloRedleg
02-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Is my job the coach of the Bills? Or is it working at Walmart?

DraftBoy
02-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Since the out clause was "like Marrones" , I had to point out the other circumstances surrounding that Marrone opt out clause.

The status of his staff had nothing to do with his opt out clause as far as every report I've read.

mightysimi
02-06-2015, 09:49 AM
as much as I would like the dough, I'm one year until I have a pension so no thanks.

CleveSteve
02-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Hell yes. I can get another job.

Mr. Miyagi
02-06-2015, 10:53 AM
One year salary is not enough for me. I really like my current company and the team I work with is fantastic. I've bounced around a bit and haven't found a place like this. Love it here.

Novacane
02-06-2015, 11:53 AM
No

trapezeus
02-06-2015, 12:15 PM
If I was the head coach of an NFL team that has a lot of young talent and went 9-7 with some pretty average to below average QB's on the roster? No.

unless you knew you weren't the reason they were 9-7 and left without a defense you would be a bottom dwelling 2-14 head coach....then maybe you take the deal knowing your real ceiliing is a coordinator. and as such, you are hugely overpaid doing what you should be doing without offending your new employer

sudzy
02-06-2015, 03:55 PM
I've worked for the same company for 24 years. I have a pretty good deal going, a lot of freedom. I'd still have to work somewhere and starting back at square one for someone else does not appeal to me.

YardRat
02-06-2015, 04:10 PM
I'd seriously consider it, but doubt I could pull the trigger. Would still have to work eventually, the job market isn't the greatest in my area, and I've still got a kid left to get through 2-1/2 years of college. My wife would opt out in a second, and I would support/encourage her to do so.

Thanks for clarifying some of the intent of the thread throughout the day, BTW, DraftBoy.

Mace
02-06-2015, 05:36 PM
I went with "no". I effectively did once, due to need, and have come to regret it, seeing alternatives to my concerns I didn't see then. My job was lucrative in IT. Now, I do junk work, no helping it, but I have a level of happy I can live with in working with BuffaloRedleg at Walmart.

imbondz
02-07-2015, 09:37 AM
I own my own business so no. unless I could opt out, get paid, then start it right back up.

BillsOwnAll
02-07-2015, 02:52 PM
If my yearly salary was 4 million. YeS. Yes I would.
This thread isn't comparable to most people's lives on this board...

Mad Bomber
02-07-2015, 06:07 PM
I'd do it for one year of Marrone's salary, but not mine.

TacklingDummy
02-07-2015, 06:34 PM
No because it's not $4 million dollars and I wouldn't be set for life regardless if I didn't get another job.

Boomstick
02-07-2015, 07:09 PM
I absolutely have to say "No". It's not that I love my job, I like it, but could find other work in a matter of hours. If I quit the shop I work at would shut down in a matter of weeks. Every single machine I work on is the only one of its kind in the world. I am one of only 2 people that could service them and the other, they couldn't convince out of retirement for any amount of money. So with no machines, this place goes under and 27 other people would lose their jobs. So, unless I train a replacement, absolutely not. In a way they count on me to keep their jobs.
The only reason I mention all of this, is because other people kinda counted on Marrone for their jobs. Not that they couldnt find another, but it still seemed selfish.

Buffalogic
02-08-2015, 02:01 PM
I'd opt out faster than the speed of light.

imbondz
02-08-2015, 02:41 PM
There's nothing more torturous than looking for a job other than hating the job you have.

trapezeus
02-09-2015, 04:18 PM
i would never opt out of a gig in a small, insolated industry like the NFL. especially if you have the job you want. if you opt out, you have to do so from power and being covetted. if you do it because it came up, there is no way to spin it.

people will say you are a quitter
people will say you aren't made for that role

and even if you say
it was a terrible organization that held me back, a future employer has to say, "not everything comes up the way you want. maybe buffalo is an extreme but you didn't handle that well. and i need to have a coach that can say "don't give up when its hard" and you did."

lastly, i don't think $4mm is that much to take. every increase in salary you get, you adjust your lifestyle. at $4mm, he's probably living a $4MM lifestyle. to potentially have that run out after next year and have no takers at that range, it's insane.

WagonCircler
02-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I am my boss, so it's kind of a chicken and egg thing. I could give myself the money, then hire myself back the next day--then force myself to pay back the money I gave me.

That'd show me.