PDA

View Full Version : CJ Spiller voided - becomes UFA on March 10

stuckincincy
02-07-2015, 05:56 AM
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25061595/bills-rb-cj-spiller-has-contract-year-void-set-for-free-agency

Some background info:

http://overthecap.com/cj-spiller-mysterious-player-option/

sudzy
02-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Voided by who? Bills or Spiller? Either, way it doesn't vote well for Spiller in Buffalo. Spiller will be in green next year.

Night Train
02-07-2015, 06:40 AM
Not surprised. New staff means multiple changes and a power running game isn't his game at all.

I wish the best for the guy and he'll get a good pay day from someone.

The off-season continues to cycle through.

DraftBoy
02-07-2015, 06:50 AM
So much talent with CJ but it never really fully materialized. Wouldn't surprise me to see him be successful somewhere else or go completely bust.

DraftBoy
02-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Voided by who? Bills or Spiller? Either, way it doesn't vote well for Spiller in Buffalo. Spiller will be in green next year.

Automatic void based on his playing time threshold. It's explained in the OTC link in the OP.

jpdex12
02-07-2015, 07:21 AM
So much talent with CJ but it never really fully materialized. Wouldn't surprise me to see him be successful somewhere else or go completely bust.what other options could happen to him? sink or swim?

DraftBoy
02-07-2015, 07:25 AM
what other options could happen to him? sink or swim?

Could continue on in a situational role on a team. Could become strictly a change of pace back, could just retire. Lots of other options.

coastal
02-07-2015, 07:41 AM
Someone is going to have to fully explain this to CJ

SpikedLemonade
02-07-2015, 08:09 AM
No great loss.

A stupid draft pick.

jpdex12
02-07-2015, 09:41 AM
I think most are ready to move on from CJ. No one liked the pick to begin with when he was drafted and he has only had one good year while here. Dump him and use the money elsewhere that will help more. Draft a serviceable RB in the later rounds to develop. RB by committee is the Rex way usually.

HAMMER
02-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Loads of athleticism, zero vision. I have seen enough.

HHURRICANE
02-07-2015, 11:12 AM
I think he's the wrong guy for this league.

jimmifli
02-07-2015, 12:04 PM
I know what Chan Gailey is doing right now.

Mr. Pink
02-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Good riddance.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Taking his afternoon nap?

better days
02-07-2015, 12:55 PM
I agree it was stupid to draft CJ. I would much rather still have Lynch on the Bills.

But despite being injured most of the year, CJ had the third most yds for RB's on the Bills last year.

Good luck to CJ next year on the Jets.

HHURRICANE
02-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Automatic void based on his playing time threshold. It's explained in the OTC link in the OP.

It's a void under the old CBA. No other team can negotiate with Spiller until March 4th. The Bills are the only team that can talk to him.

swiper
02-07-2015, 05:30 PM
No great loss.

A stupid draft pick.

You can bet he gets a call from Chan Gailey & the NY Jets.

Topas
02-09-2015, 05:23 AM

Right. I gonna vomit if the Jets have a better O than us because he signs there and again gets 6 yards per rush with Chan.

djjimkelly
02-09-2015, 08:16 AM
if i was spiller id try to sign with the saints and become the new sproles

Albany,n.y.
02-09-2015, 08:33 AM
He'll end up like Ronnie Harmon. After he left he had some good games that would get some highlights on Sportscenter, but essentially was never missed by the Bills.

Pinkerton Security
02-09-2015, 09:25 AM
He could could definitely be a Reggie Bush-type guy who complements a more physical back (Joique Bell). He just needs the right OC. Greg roman doesnt appear to be that OC lol

Mr. Miyagi
02-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Watching an earlier SF game on NFL network this weekend, Greg Roman's run offense did very well with a speed guy like Carlos Hyde. CJ would be even faster as long as we open holes for him, like they did for Hyde. With Incognito signed and if we spend the money to bring in Iupati, CJ could be huge. If he's not asking a huge contract I say bring him back.

Pinkerton Security
02-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Watching an earlier SF game on NFL network this weekend, Greg Roman's run offense did very well with a speed guy like Carlos Hyde. CJ would be even faster as long as we open holes for him, like they did for Hyde. With Incognito signed and if we spend the money to bring in Iupati, CJ could be huge. If he's not asking a huge contract I say bring him back.

agreed, though Hyde is still more of a power back than speed back. Hes a beast

EDS
02-09-2015, 09:39 AM
He'll end up like Ronnie Harmon. After he left he had some good games that would get some highlights on Sportscenter, but essentially was never missed by the Bills.

It helped to have Thurman Thomas, of course.

For what it is worth, Harmon had more success in SD then he ever had in B-lo.

BertSquirtgum
02-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Who cares? He sucks.

Mr. Miyagi
02-09-2015, 09:48 AM
agreed, though Hyde is still more of a power back than speed back. Hes a beast
Sure, but CJ isn't exactly Darren Sproles either. The holes they opened up for Hyde in the game against New Orleans last season, he didn't have to shed any blocks and would get 9 yards before getting tackled. CJ would've been gone every time.

Historian
02-09-2015, 10:14 AM
I'd much rather see him stay, but I think he will end up somewhere that values a quick scat back in their offense.

WagonCircler
02-09-2015, 10:26 AM

Good, let him huff and puff and gasp for air on someone else's sideline.

GingerP
02-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Probably doesn't fit here with Ryan, but if the right team gets him he can be a good player. He isn't a feature back, but he 2012/2013 Spiller produced in a change-of-pace role. Over those 2 seasons he had about 240 touches a year and produced over 1.400 yards per year, a 5.8+ yards-per-play average. That isn't terrible.

swiper
02-09-2015, 02:31 PM

As NBS said, Spiller and Hyde are very different backs. Very different

stuckincincy
02-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Probably doesn't fit here with Ryan, but if the right team gets him he can be a good player. He isn't a feature back, but he 2012/2013 Spiller produced in a change-of-pace role. Over those 2 seasons he had about 240 touches a year and produced over 1.400 yards per year, a 5.8+ yards-per-play average. That isn't terrible.

Yes indeed. I've always advocated that BUF kept a bruising, blocking FB on the roster for him. CJ excels at hitting interior holes explosively, then he's off to the races.

jamze132
02-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Who here is hoping that Jacksonville pushes hard for him... lol

stuckincincy
02-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Who here is hoping that Jacksonville pushes hard for him... lol

I hope a NFC club is his destination. Spiller is not without talent - if he has a resurrection, I'd prefer it not to be in the AFC. :handball:

swiper
02-09-2015, 03:58 PM
I hope a NFC club is his destination. Spiller is not without talent - if he has a resurrection, I'd prefer it not to be in the AFC. :handball:

I agree with the poster that suggested he would be a good pair with Joique Bell in Detroit. Reggie Bush was out all season with an ankle injury or something. Not sure what his future is.

EDS
02-10-2015, 10:38 AM
It is going to be weird playing the Jets next year since it is not hard to envision Fitzpatrick and Spiller reuniting with Gailey. Heck, they will probably sign Pears and/or Urbik too when they get cut.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-10-2015, 10:54 AM
It is going to be weird playing the Jets next year since it is not hard to envision Fitzpatrick and Spiller reuniting with Gailey. Heck, they will probably sign Pears and/or Urbik too when they get cut.

It would be so nutty if the Bills take the field vs. the Jets with Rex Ryan and Darrelle Revis and the Jets roll out with Spiller, Fitz, and Gailey.

jamze132
02-10-2015, 11:35 AM

I doubt he would have a resurection with Marrone teaching fatties how to block...

Mr. Pink
02-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Here's hoping he does go to the Jets.

We can watch him dance in the backfield and take 1 yard gains and 2 yard losses putting the opposition into 2nd and longs repeatedly twice a year.

BidsJr
02-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Sure, but CJ isn't exactly Darren Sproles either. The holes they opened up for Hyde in the game against New Orleans last season, he didn't have to shed any blocks and would get 9 yards before getting tackled. CJ would've been gone every time.

CJ would actually have to SEE the hole to HIT the hole and be gone everytime.

stuckincincy
02-11-2015, 11:58 AM
CJ would actually have to SEE the hole to HIT the hole and be gone everytime.

He does see the interior hole. Spiller has ripped off a lot of really big gains throughout his career. That's why he has that glittering YPG number.