PDA

View Full Version : FA questions about the Bills and our cap

jpdex12
02-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Provided we hypothetically use realistic league average numbers,can we afford to resign Searcy, Hughes and Spikes. Extend Dareus. Sign Iupati and someone like Sanchez?

Draft a QB like Hundley in RD2, RT like Sambrailo in RD3 and RB Varga in RD5. Would make me happy!

tonyc37
02-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Hundleywon't be a franchise QB.No better than EJ.He has the same flaws.Decision making,field vision,and pocket awareness.No thanks.Sambrrailo is probably a G and needs to get a lot stronger to play in the NFL.Varga not a starting RB.

YardRat
02-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Hundleywon't be a franchise QB.No better than EJ.He has the same flaws.Decision making,field vision,and pocket awareness.No thanks.Sambrrailo is probably a G and needs to get a lot stronger to play in the NFL.Varga not a starting RB.

Pretty sure he didn't claim Hundley was a franchise QB, Sambrrailo wouldn't slide inside, or Varga would start. Nice job pissing all over jp's mini-mock, though.

It's been reported the team is somewhere in the $22mil under range, though...plus there could be some cuts that could push that closer to $30. Searcy shouldn't cost much at all, but he may get a larger offer elsewhere and the team won't be shy to let him walk. Spikes will cost a few mil per, and I'd like to keep him, but again with the switch back to Ryan's D he may be viewed as expendable. Hughes is a wild card, depends on how high the market goes. Dareus shouldn't be an issue, and Sanchez would come relatively cheap.

Going strictly by numbers and cap hit, Searcy (3.9, top 20), Spikes (5.5, top 15), Hughes (8.0, top 15), Sanchez (5.0, same as Orton) that would eat up $22.4 so Dareus would have to come in with big money up front and small actual salary number for '15 ($7.0-$8.0 cap hit?) to fit them all. Depends on how each is structured, obviously, but it's doable.

YardRat
02-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Doesn't leave anything for an Iupati or Boling-type signing though, I just realized.

jpdex12
02-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Pretty sure he didn't claim Hundley was a franchise QB, Sambrrailo wouldn't slide inside, or Varga would start. Nice job pissing all over jp's mini-mock, though.

It's been reported the team is somewhere in the $22mil under range, though...plus there could be some cuts that could push that closer to $30. Searcy shouldn't cost much at all, but he may get a larger offer elsewhere and the team won't be shy to let him walk. Spikes will cost a few mil per, and I'd like to keep him, but again with the switch back to Ryan's D he may be viewed as expendable. Hughes is a wild card, depends on how high the market goes. Dareus shouldn't be an issue, and Sanchez would come relatively cheap.

Going strictly by numbers and cap hit, Searcy (3.9, top 20), Spikes (5.5, top 15), Hughes (8.0, top 15), Sanchez (5.0, same as Orton) that would eat up $22.4 so Dareus would have to come in with big money up front and small actual salary number for '15 ($7.0-$8.0 cap hit?) to fit them all. Depends on how each is structured, obviously, but it's doable.Thanks Yard! I feel some restructuring of Mario would help free up money to extend Dareus

jpdex12
02-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Doesn't leave anything for an Iupati or Boling-type signing though, I just realized.In order to fortify this line we need someone like Boling or Iupati.

jimmifli
02-07-2015, 08:57 PM
In order to fortify this line we need someone like Boling or Iupati.
Or? AND.

jimmifli
02-07-2015, 09:01 PM
No reason to resign Dareus this season. Last year was the year to get a deal done. Now he's going to get his market rate or wait for free agency.

Next season we can use the franchise tag as leverage (it would actually be a savings for us because Marcel will get the highest or second highest DT contract in the NFL), so no rush now. The time to pay him like a top 10 DT was last offseason, now we just play out his rookie deal and enjoy the savings.

YardRat
02-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Letting Dareus ride and re-structuring Mario would probably provide the room for two more guards, but with the signing of Incognito I don't think that will be in the front office's cards. We're probably looking at Richie, One New Guy, Richardson, Urbik and a rookie at G, Wood at center (Urbik backup), and Glenn, Henderson, Kuoandijo (G/T backup) at tackle, unless they go heavy with 10...and that leaves Williams out of the mix. I'd also prefer a heavier concentration on the oline in FA, jimmi, but not sure the front office will.

swiper
02-08-2015, 05:48 AM
Letting Dareus ride and re-structuring Mario would probably provide the room for two more guards, but with the signing of Incognito I don't think that will be in the front office's cards. We're probably looking at Richie, One New Guy, Richardson, Urbik and a rookie at G, Wood at center (Urbik backup), and Glenn, Henderson, Kuoandijo (G/T backup) at tackle, unless they go heavy with 10...and that leaves Williams out of the mix. I'd also prefer a heavier concentration on the oline in FA, jimmi, but not sure the front office will.

They already have a lot of guys that can play guard. None are all that great, but.... they have bodies.

http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/

They are light on tackles it appears. And if Urbik is not in the long term picture, they need a back-up to Wood.

Notice that Chris Hairston was not on that depth chart. He's a RFA.

jpdex12
02-08-2015, 07:24 AM
I'm wondering if any of our current tackles could be more serviceable inside at guard making the void at right tackle?

X-Era
02-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Sportrac has us at 30 mill which is about where I think we will be... And that includes the top 51, dead money, and 3.2 for the 2015 picks (assuming we don't move from our spots at all).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

I think Urbik is gone. That should put back 2.3. Incognito eats that up. Back at 30.

I don't think restructuring Mario is out of the question.

But at 30:

Using Yardie's numbers: "Searcy (3.9, top 20), Spikes (5.5, top 15), Hughes (8.0, top 15), Sanchez (5.0, same as Orton) that would eat up $22.4 so Dareus would have to come in with big money up front and small actual salary number for '15 ($7.0-$8.0 cap hit?) to fit them all."

I'd let Searcy walk and go with Duke/draftee. Then go with RG3 at 6.4 I believe. That puts us at 13.5+6.4= 19.9 and leaves us about 10 to play with.

I might dump Rivers to get back another 1.7 since we kept Spikes, Bradham emerged, have Brown, and Kiko is back. Lawson could go too if we kept Hughes. That would gain 1.5 and 1.7 for another 3.2...

So we'd sit at 13.2 mill in room before any restructure of Mario. I think Iupati could be in play for that but he may never hit the market. I think Boling or Franklin may be more likely.

Iupati probably gets Mankins money at 6 for 51.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/guard/

Might be able to get a 2015 cap hit of 7 mill on that deal. If so, that leaves us like 6 to still play with. I could see a S or TE with that.

To re-cap:

Re-sign Spikes
Re-sign Hughes
Cut Urbik
Searcy walks
Cut Rivers
Cut Lawson
Trade for RG3
Sign Boling or Franklin

Seems feasible but the devil is in the details.

swiper
02-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Gruden: 'RG III Not Even Close to God Enough' vs. Bucs (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000429995/article/gruden-rgiii-not-even-close-to-good-enough-vs-bucs)

Steve Young on Robert Griffin III: 'He doesn't put the time in' (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24819098/steve-young-on-robert-griffin-iii-he-doesnt-put-the-time-in)

Robert Griffin III is evolving, but into what? (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/21/6052275/robert-griffin-iii-rg3-future-washington-kirk-cousins)

The fans pining for RG III are just nuts or very poorly informed. If Jay Gruden and Mike Shanahan couldn't get more out of him, there is no way that Palmer/Lee are going to.

swiper
02-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Surprised there isn't a "get JaMarcus Russell in here" thread yet.

Or a "David Lee can revive Vince Young's career in Buffalo" thread.

Or a "Let's give Matt Leinert another shot" thread.

Fact: the Bills should have just kept Travaris Jackson and let him play. They would have been at a better spot right now.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-08-2015, 09:04 AM
The best way to sign Hughes I think would be to frontload it significantly so the cap hits drop next year. If you think 4/32 does it (not sure if it does), I'd say you have to do something like 20-4-4-4 rather than 8-8-8-8.

The Jokeman
02-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Sportrac has us at 30 mill which is about where I think we will be... And that includes the top 51, dead money, and 3.2 for the 2015 picks (assuming we don't move from our spots at all).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

I think Urbik is gone. That should put back 2.3. Incognito eats that up. Back at 30.

I don't think restructuring Mario is out of the question.

But at 30:

Using Yardie's numbers: "Searcy (3.9, top 20), Spikes (5.5, top 15), Hughes (8.0, top 15), Sanchez (5.0, same as Orton) that would eat up $22.4 so Dareus would have to come in with big money up front and small actual salary number for '15 ($7.0-$8.0 cap hit?) to fit them all."

I'd let Searcy walk and go with Duke/draftee. Then go with RG3 at 6.4 I believe. That puts us at 13.5+6.4= 19.9 and leaves us about 10 to play with.

I might dump Rivers to get back another 1.7 since we kept Spikes, Bradham emerged, have Brown, and Kiko is back. Lawson could go too if we kept Hughes. That would gain 1.5 and 1.7 for another 3.2...

So we'd sit at 13.2 mill in room before any restructure of Mario. I think Iupati could be in play for that but he may never hit the market. I think Boling or Franklin may be more likely.

Iupati probably gets Mankins money at 6 for 51.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/guard/

Might be able to get a 2015 cap hit of 7 mill on that deal. If so, that leaves us like 6 to still play with. I could see a S or TE with that.

To re-cap:

Re-sign Spikes
Re-sign Hughes
Cut Urbik
Searcy walks
Cut Rivers
Cut Lawson
Trade for RG3
Sign Boling or Franklin

Seems feasible but the devil is in the details.

Spikes at $5.5 is too much money for a guy who played less than 50% of our defensive snaps last year and might get even less playing time in 2015 with a healthy Kiko back in the fold. I'm also not sure why/how people think we're going to add RGIII. Whaley's come from the Steelers' braintree of UFAs which seems to be lesser name games or cap friendly guys who you can plug and play to fit holes. It's why I think we might let Searcy walk and grab Dawan Landry to be in the mix to replace him as it be a lower cost option and give us a transition guy to have to the Rex style of defense. I will agree that cutting Rivers makes sense as he played less than Spikes and doesn't seem to fit the hybrid mold of LB that we might be end up running yet not sure cutting Lawson makes sense. As Lawson was a solid depth guy and he seems to be a better fit in the Ryan scheme than the Schwartz model.

The Jokeman
02-08-2015, 10:03 AM
The best way to sign Hughes I think would be to frontload it significantly so the cap hits drop next year. If you think 4/32 does it (not sure if it does), I'd say you have to do something like 20-4-4-4 rather than 8-8-8-8.

I think it's going to take at least 4/$40 to keep Hughes. Frontloading makes sense as now that we have Incognito in the fold I don't think we're going to go all out for a big name UFA OG. Also I think the QB we bring in is going to be a veteran to compete and/or backup EJ and don't think he's going to cost a whole lot to do so. That said I think it be a wise investment to put some money to upgrade the TE position (see let Lee Smith walk) and sign a guy like Cameron or J Thomas to start and move Chandler further down the depth chart. I also mentioned some thoughts about S above.

stuckincincy
02-08-2015, 10:23 AM
FYI...current UFA listing:

http://overthecap.com/free-agency

BillsImpossible
02-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Spiller is gone, Jackson is gone, Pears is gone, EJ Manuel is gone, Spikes is gone, Jerry Hughes is gone, and Leodis McKelvin is gone.

Spiller can't block, Jackson is past his prime, Pears is not a guard, EJ Manuel isn't accurate enough, Spikes doesn't play enough downs, Hughes can be replaced by Rex Ryan, McKelvin is due $4.9 million in 2015, turns 30 years old in September and gets injured too much for almost $5 million a season.

That's a run on sentence full of cap space.

swiper
02-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Spiller is gone, Jackson is gone, Pears is gone, EJ Manuel is gone, Spikes is gone, Jerry Hughes is gone, and Leodis McKelvin is gone.

Spiller can't block, Jackson is past his prime, Pears is not a guard, EJ Manuel isn't accurate enough, Spikes doesn't play enough downs, Hughes can be replaced by Rex Ryan, McKelvin is due $4.9 million in 2015, turns 30 years old in September and gets injured too much for almost $5 million a season.

You're right in the sense that it is very possible the opening Sunday roster may indeed look very different than the one they finished with in 2014. I guess we should be prepared to see that happen.

X-Era
02-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Spikes at $5.5 is too much money for a guy who played less than 50% of our defensive snaps last year and might get even less playing time in 2015 with a healthy Kiko back in the fold. I'm also not sure why/how people think we're going to add RGIII. Whaley's come from the Steelers' braintree of UFAs which seems to be lesser name games or cap friendly guys who you can plug and play to fit holes. It's why I think we might let Searcy walk and grab Dawan Landry to be in the mix to replace him as it be a lower cost option and give us a transition guy to have to the Rex style of defense. I will agree that cutting Rivers makes sense as he played less than Spikes and doesn't seem to fit the hybrid mold of LB that we might be end up running yet not sure cutting Lawson makes sense. As Lawson was a solid depth guy and he seems to be a better fit in the Ryan scheme than the Schwartz model.
Because if you can find a young QB with starting experience and lots of potential for a 6.4 mill cap hit I'd be fine with it. But thats less than likely unless your giving up potential and I'm sorry I'm personally not really interested in that any more. RG3 is cap friendly since he's on his rookie deal still. And the fact that he needs to prove it to earn his next contract makes whatever team he plays for in the better position. I could take or leave Lawson. The cap savings is pretty small. And with the money we'd have anyways it really is pretty trivial.

Spikes is a great run stuffer and I like rotation. I don't think he'll command 5.5. I think 4 is where he tops at and he was at 3.25 this year so why the increase? I want a rotation and the ability to play multiple fronts. Spikes can be a piece of the mix.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-08-2015, 09:31 PM

Manuel won't be cut, he's the only QB on the active roster and he's still on his rookie deal.

tonyc37
02-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Well you don't draft a backup QB in the second round.Hundley should have stayed in school one more year.

jpdex12
02-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Well you don't draft a backup QB in the second round.Hundley should have stayed in school one more year. We aren't looking for a backup QB...

jamze132
02-10-2015, 11:53 AM
All we ever bring in are back up QBs...