X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Josh Gordon?

So, after reading this: https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-o...co-cb5c4e64cf3

I have to ask whether it would be worth making a move for him. If you believe him, his alcohol suspensions stem from a DUI at .09 BAC and from having beers on a plane after the Browns season was over (his terms apparently applied to the NFL season, not his team's season) From my understanding based on this (http://overthecap.com/explaining-roster-designations/) he wouldn't count as a roster spot, nor would we have to pay him during his suspension.

Would you toss a later rounder at him? I'd do it for both of our 6th rounders. Maybe our 5th if they sent something else back too.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!
  • Mr. Pink
    Peterman Sucks!
    • Mar 2006

Re: Josh Gordon?

I wouldn't advocate for trading for him.

After the 2015 season is over he's a guy who will have played in 19 games in 3 seasons due to his 10 cent brain and decision making process.

And he has to apply for reinstatement in 2016 something that isn't necessarily guaranteed to even be allowed.

Effectively, his career may be over.

Comment

• Ed
      Dude
      • Sep 2002

I don't think Gordon is a bad guy, I just don't know when he's going to play again. His suspension is a minimum of a year, it could be longer.

Comment

• Swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

Just say no.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
          I wouldn't advocate for trading for him.

After the 2015 season is over he's a guy who will have played in 19 games in 3 seasons due to his 10 cent brain and decision making process.

And he has to apply for reinstatement in 2016 something that isn't necessarily guaranteed to even be allowed.

Effectively, his career may be over.
          True, but he has also played at a pro bowl level when on the field, has no real injury history, wouldn't cost us cap space, money, or a roster spot until he returned, and would only be 24 in the 2016 season.

Any draft pick that late is a huge longshot, I'd gamble on someone who has shown elite flashes at the NFL level.

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
            True, but he has also played at a pro bowl level when on the field, has no real injury history, wouldn't cost us cap space, money, or a roster spot until he returned, and would only be 24 in the 2016 season.

Any draft pick that late is a huge longshot, I'd gamble on someone who has shown elite flashes at the NFL level.
            How would his contract situation work? His contract is scheduled to end after this season, but would he be an RFA, or an ERFA? I believe that with his 2015 suspension he'll still only have 2 accrued years. I don't think he accrued a year last season. I believe that would mean he'd be an ERFA, which basically means he would have no negotiating rights and his current team could just extend him for 3 years at vet minimum. If that's the case, I would be willing to give up a late round pick for his rights.

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

I'd take him on in a heartbeat.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                How would his contract situation work? His contract is scheduled to end after this season, but would he be an RFA, or an ERFA? I believe that with his 2015 suspension he'll still only have 2 accrued years. I don't think he accrued a year last season. I believe that would mean he'd be an ERFA, which basically means he would have no negotiating rights and his current team could just extend him for 3 years at vet minimum. If that's the case, I would be willing to give up a late round pick for his rights.
                It's still up in the air. He is challenging his last year to get an extra NFL season accrued, if he doesn't get it, I believe he would be a RFA. I don't know what happens to the last year of his deal if he is suspended for the entire league year, whether it advances or is pushed back one.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Truly doesnt seem like a terrible person, but I wouldnt give up anything to get him other than a late rounder. Hes proven so far to be very untrustworthy, albeit very talented.

Comment

• GvilleBills
                    • Mar 2006

I'd do it. Still young, and a WR corps of Sammy, Woods, and Gordon would be unstoppable.

- - - Updated - - -

2016 will be the Superbowl season, anyways.
                    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

the amount of crap that sammy gets for being traded for and production, i can't imagine that bills fans would allow gordon to ever be "worth it". He's have to heal the entire world.

i'm not one for trading for someone who has received harsh sentencing and then goes and does the same thing again. these redemption stories rarely work out. if you mess up and then you adjust, then it works. when it's the 2nd and 3rd strike and you keep getting chances, you don't change.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I'd throw a late rounder out there for him, if the costs laid out are correct. What the hell, he's probably got a better shot of growing up than a sixth rounder has of becoming anything.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• casdhf
                          • Jul 2002

He wasn't impressive when he actually played last year. I would say the Richie signing pointed our moral compass south, we need to pass on this opportunity.
                          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

You need a QB to get him the ball. Get that first.

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post

The Answer is YES
                              for a 6th rounder it's a no brainer!

The math is simple

Odds that the Bills 6th rd pick becomes top 3 at his position = 0.05%
                              Odds that Gordon regains his pro bowl form and doesn't get suspended for at least 1 season = 15%

15% > .05% = no brainer
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                              X