PDA

View Full Version : Josh Gordon?

IlluminatusUIUC
02-10-2015, 11:29 AM
So, after reading this: https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open-letter-to-charles-barkley-co-cb5c4e64cf3

I have to ask whether it would be worth making a move for him. If you believe him, his alcohol suspensions stem from a DUI at .09 BAC and from having beers on a plane after the Browns season was over (his terms apparently applied to the NFL season, not his team's season) From my understanding based on this (http://overthecap.com/explaining-roster-designations/) he wouldn't count as a roster spot, nor would we have to pay him during his suspension.

Would you toss a later rounder at him? I'd do it for both of our 6th rounders. Maybe our 5th if they sent something else back too.

Mr. Pink
02-10-2015, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't advocate for trading for him.

After the 2015 season is over he's a guy who will have played in 19 games in 3 seasons due to his 10 cent brain and decision making process.

And he has to apply for reinstatement in 2016 something that isn't necessarily guaranteed to even be allowed.

Effectively, his career may be over.

Ed
02-10-2015, 11:44 AM
I don't think Gordon is a bad guy, I just don't know when he's going to play again. His suspension is a minimum of a year, it could be longer.

swiper
02-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Just say no.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-10-2015, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't advocate for trading for him.

After the 2015 season is over he's a guy who will have played in 19 games in 3 seasons due to his 10 cent brain and decision making process.

And he has to apply for reinstatement in 2016 something that isn't necessarily guaranteed to even be allowed.

Effectively, his career may be over.

True, but he has also played at a pro bowl level when on the field, has no real injury history, wouldn't cost us cap space, money, or a roster spot until he returned, and would only be 24 in the 2016 season.

Any draft pick that late is a huge longshot, I'd gamble on someone who has shown elite flashes at the NFL level.

Ed
02-10-2015, 01:14 PM
True, but he has also played at a pro bowl level when on the field, has no real injury history, wouldn't cost us cap space, money, or a roster spot until he returned, and would only be 24 in the 2016 season.

Any draft pick that late is a huge longshot, I'd gamble on someone who has shown elite flashes at the NFL level.
How would his contract situation work? His contract is scheduled to end after this season, but would he be an RFA, or an ERFA? I believe that with his 2015 suspension he'll still only have 2 accrued years. I don't think he accrued a year last season. I believe that would mean he'd be an ERFA, which basically means he would have no negotiating rights and his current team could just extend him for 3 years at vet minimum. If that's the case, I would be willing to give up a late round pick for his rights.

feldspar
02-10-2015, 01:21 PM
I'd take him on in a heartbeat.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-10-2015, 01:31 PM
How would his contract situation work? His contract is scheduled to end after this season, but would he be an RFA, or an ERFA? I believe that with his 2015 suspension he'll still only have 2 accrued years. I don't think he accrued a year last season. I believe that would mean he'd be an ERFA, which basically means he would have no negotiating rights and his current team could just extend him for 3 years at vet minimum. If that's the case, I would be willing to give up a late round pick for his rights.

It's still up in the air. He is challenging his last year to get an extra NFL season accrued, if he doesn't get it, I believe he would be a RFA. I don't know what happens to the last year of his deal if he is suspended for the entire league year, whether it advances or is pushed back one.

Pinkerton Security
02-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Truly doesnt seem like a terrible person, but I wouldnt give up anything to get him other than a late rounder. Hes proven so far to be very untrustworthy, albeit very talented.

GvilleBills
02-10-2015, 02:54 PM
I'd do it. Still young, and a WR corps of Sammy, Woods, and Gordon would be unstoppable.

- - - Updated - - -

2016 will be the Superbowl season, anyways. ;)

trapezeus
02-10-2015, 03:30 PM
the amount of crap that sammy gets for being traded for and production, i can't imagine that bills fans would allow gordon to ever be "worth it". He's have to heal the entire world.

i'm not one for trading for someone who has received harsh sentencing and then goes and does the same thing again. these redemption stories rarely work out. if you mess up and then you adjust, then it works. when it's the 2nd and 3rd strike and you keep getting chances, you don't change.

YardRat
02-10-2015, 03:48 PM
I'd throw a late rounder out there for him, if the costs laid out are correct. What the hell, he's probably got a better shot of growing up than a sixth rounder has of becoming anything.

casdhf
02-10-2015, 03:49 PM
He wasn't impressive when he actually played last year. I would say the Richie signing pointed our moral compass south, we need to pass on this opportunity.

swiper
02-10-2015, 05:22 PM
You need a QB to get him the ball. Get that first.

Mike
02-10-2015, 08:00 PM

The Answer is YES
for a 6th rounder it's a no brainer!

The math is simple

Odds that the Bills 6th rd pick becomes top 3 at his position = 0.05%
Odds that Gordon regains his pro bowl form and doesn't get suspended for at least 1 season = 15%

15% > .05% = no brainer

Ingtar33
02-10-2015, 08:28 PM
So, after reading this: https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open-letter-to-charles-barkley-co-cb5c4e64cf3

I have to ask whether it would be worth making a move for him. If you believe him, his alcohol suspensions stem from a DUI at .09 BAC and from having beers on a plane after the Browns season was over (his terms apparently applied to the NFL season, not his team's season) From my understanding based on this (http://overthecap.com/explaining-roster-designations/) he wouldn't count as a roster spot, nor would we have to pay him during his suspension.

Would you toss a later rounder at him? I'd do it for both of our 6th rounders. Maybe our 5th if they sent something else back too.

he's one messup from his 2nd full year suspension, potentially a lifetime suspension. (thats right he's already been suspended a full season for substance abuse)

he has zero value. unless you want to bring a guy into the locker room who shows up late, doesn't pay attention and can't be bothered to learn the playbook.

Watch the bills game against the browns last year, he spent half the game running the wrong routs.

YardRat
02-11-2015, 04:56 AM
You need a QB to get him the ball. Get that first.

So, what QB out there would you trade a sixth-rounder for that will be available for that cost before trading it for Gordon?

Night Train
02-11-2015, 06:08 AM
WR's are a dime a dozen and this guy is still concerned with buying dime bags.

better days
02-11-2015, 08:00 AM
The NFL is CRAZY with STUPID rules.

To suspend a guy for a year for drinking alcohol is ridiculous.

Others have done much worse & received much less penalties.

better days
02-11-2015, 08:03 AM
WR's are a dime a dozen and this guy is still concerned with buying dime bags.

What are you talking about?

Gordon was suspended because he drank alcohol on an airplane.

Mr. Pink
02-11-2015, 08:29 AM

He was suspended because he violated the terms of the league imposed program of no alcohol after his 2014 suspension for substance abuse.

He was in stage three of the league's substance abuse program and basically had no margin for error. He decided screw that, I'm having some beers and drinks on the plane with my teammates anyway.

The alleged story is he had 4 drinks on the plane with his teammates and then 4 hours after landing was supposed to report for mandatory testing, normal metabolism rates say you metabolize one drink per hour, therefore if his 4 drink story is to be believed, he shouldn't have tested positive. Since he's been a stand up guy since entering the league on his content from the drugs to the alcohol to missing team meetings to oversleeping practices I say he's a lying sack of shiz.

It's a shame because the dude has the talent to be a top 3 WR in the league, his brain and mentality will never allow that to materialize.

Night Train
02-11-2015, 09:19 AM

Gordon was being tested as a result of being arrested for a DWI (http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/05/browns-josh-gordon-arrested-dwi) this past July. He tested positive for marijuana (http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/05/09/josh-gordon-year-long-suspension-drug-test-cleveland-browns) last May and was forced to sit out the first 10 games of the season.

kscdogbillsfan1221
02-11-2015, 09:44 AM
so let's recap the 'ideas' that we have seen this offseason so far.

1) let's trade for a head case WR who is gonna be suspended for a year
2) let's trade away our 26 year old 2 time pro bowl DT for a number 1
3) Let's pick up RG3

Geez. september can't get here soon enough.

Bill Cody
02-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Truly doesnt seem like a terrible person, but I wouldnt give up anything to get him other than a late rounder. Hes proven so far to be very untrustworthy, albeit very talented.

Bring him on. With Incognito in the fold to take him under his wing Gordon will be fine.

Meathead
02-11-2015, 11:10 AM
havent paid close attention, hows this work, like why did he get suspended for booze

better days
02-11-2015, 11:18 AM
He was suspended because he violated the terms of the league imposed program of no alcohol after his 2014 suspension for substance abuse.

He was in stage three of the league's substance abuse program and basically had no margin for error. He decided screw that, I'm having some beers and drinks on the plane with my teammates anyway.

The alleged story is he had 4 drinks on the plane with his teammates and then 4 hours after landing was supposed to report for mandatory testing, normal metabolism rates say you metabolize one drink per hour, therefore if his 4 drink story is to be believed, he shouldn't have tested positive. Since he's been a stand up guy since entering the league on his content from the drugs to the alcohol to missing team meetings to oversleeping practices I say he's a lying sack of shiz.

It's a shame because the dude has the talent to be a top 3 WR in the league, his brain and mentality will never allow that to materialize.

He did not knowingly violate the rule.

He did not realize having a drink at the end of the season would violate it.

I agree, he should have known that rule, but like I said, STUPID rule.

And it is not like Gordon was doing crack cocane he was using a substance which is legal in some states & decriminalized in others.

Again, STUPID rule & the punishment was much too harsh IMO.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-11-2015, 11:26 AM

You can disbelieve his story, but that's not his story. The drinking happened on a flight on January 2. The Browns' last game was December 28. So he claims he misinterpreted the condition as being related to the Browns' season, not the NFL season. Second, the mandatory test was supposed to happen "within" four hours, not in exactly four hours. If he went to the test earlier, processed alcohol slower then normal, or had stronger drinks, then he would obviously test higher than 0.0.

Personally, I think the NFLs discipline policy is a complete cluster****, as this season demonstrated neatly. And penalizing a guy for consuming a legal substance in a legal fashion when advertising for that same substance provides a massive chunk of league revenue doubles it.

stuckincincy
02-11-2015, 11:29 AM
I think you will have to go back a fair amount in time to find a CLE WR worth anything. Kevin Johnson and Dennis Northcutt are the only ones that come to mind with their 2nd iteration as a franchise. Want Greg Little, their 2nd #2 in 2011? Braylon Edwards - remember that flake? Mohamed Massaquoi , another 2nd #2 in 2012?

Stay well clear of CLE wrs...

BleedinGreenNC
02-11-2015, 12:27 PM
He did not knowingly violate the rule.

He did not realize having a drink at the end of the season would violate it.

I agree, he should have known that rule, but like I said, STUPID rule.

And it is not like Gordon was doing crack cocane he was using a substance which is legal in some states & decriminalized in others.

Again, STUPID rule & the punishment was much too harsh IMO.

Yet he violated the rule.

Mr. Pink
02-11-2015, 12:41 PM
You can disbelieve his story, but that's not his story. The drinking happened on a flight on January 2. The Browns' last game was December 28. So he claims he misinterpreted the condition as being related to the Browns' season, not the NFL season. Second, the mandatory test was supposed to happen "within" four hours, not in exactly four hours. If he went to the test earlier, processed alcohol slower then normal, or had stronger drinks, then he would obviously test higher than 0.0.

Personally, I think the NFLs discipline policy is a complete cluster****, as this season demonstrated neatly. And penalizing a guy for consuming a legal substance in a legal fashion when advertising for that same substance provides a massive chunk of league revenue doubles it.

Except when it's part of his program that he cannot drink and he decides to drink anyway because "oh I thought the league year was over even though I had a mandatory test after the flight." Rules are rules. When it comes to protecting your millions upon millions of dollars in future revenue, if you have a working brain, you do whatever you can...unless you're Josh Gordon and piss away all of it.

This is a guy we're talking about who hasn't learned one lesson through his young life when it comes to an NFL career. Smoking marijuana, blaming codeine for violating the drug policy, missing team meetings and practices, missing a practice which led to him being suspended by the team in week 17 costing him a year of service, drinking on a plane when he had a mandatory test after the flight.

Don't worry, he'll likely violate the substance abuse policy during his suspension too since he's gonna be mandatory tested throughout the year. "But I wasn't playing so I didn't think it was the NFL season to me so I had a few drinks."

There is nothing to believe when it comes to Josh Gordon opening his mouth as his actions from Baylor til now speak volumes.

stuckincincy
02-11-2015, 12:49 PM
There is nothing to believe when it comes to Josh Gordon opening his mouth as his actions from Baylor til now speak volumes.

But...he sold cars...he knows a lot about cars...

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/17/josh-gordon-sold-zero-cars-during-stint-at-ohio-dealership/

:whistling

IlluminatusUIUC
02-11-2015, 12:53 PM
But...he sold cars...he knows a lot about cars...

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/17/josh-gordon-sold-zero-cars-during-stint-at-ohio-dealership/

:whistling

Now you're going to tell me car salesmen lie. Is there no end to your slander!?! :rofl:

swiper
02-11-2015, 04:01 PM
So, what QB out there would you trade a sixth-rounder for that will be available for that cost before trading it for Gordon?

You miss the point. The Bills have at least 4 good WRs on the roster and no QB. Why would you want to take on this troubled WR? He's not going to add anything.

better days
02-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Yet he violated the rule.

Yeah, like I said a STUPID rule with punishment that is too severe for the crime committed.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-11-2015, 04:25 PM
You miss the point. The Bills have at least 4 good WRs on the roster and no QB. Why would you want to take on this troubled WR? He's not going to add anything.

We have arguably 2 good wideouts and Gordon is a potentially elite talent. Besides, he wouldn't play until 2016 in the best case scenario, so ideally we'd either have our QB or be in a better position to get one.

Mr. Pink
02-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Yeah, like I said a STUPID rule with punishment that is too severe for the crime committed.

Maybe if he had half a brain and wasn't doing pot, getting DWI's or "codeine" - his claim :rofl: he wouldn't have been in Stage 3 of the NFL Substance Abuse Program and would be allowed to partake in a beer or 4 with his buddies on the plane.

YardRat
02-11-2015, 04:44 PM

I get the point fine, you indicated they need to get a QB first. Which one? Also, do you not attempt to upgrade any position until you get a QB? That would be foolish.

Second, or third depending on how you count, your last two sentences have nothing to do with your original comment...whether or not he's worth going after because he's troubled and your opinion that he wouldn't add anything has nothing to do with the QB position.

BillsImpossible
02-11-2015, 06:47 PM
The last thing the Bills need is a wide receiver.

Mace
02-11-2015, 07:49 PM
The last thing the Bills need is a wide receiver.

And I wouldn't spend anything for one who can't seem to stop himself from heading for the first NFL 100 year suspension.

Those later round picks can find you skill players from small schools with potential if you can even find them in UDFA land. I just don't see any point in spending anything on Gordon, and don't see Cleveland having any point in dumping him now unless some team wants to overpay for nothing in 2015, in which case that team is still overpaying for nothing in 2015.