PDA

View Full Version : Will Rex Ryan Have The Power To Overrule Doug Whaley?

BillsImpossible
02-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Let's say Rex wants to draft a quarterback in the 2nd round and Doug Whaley wants to draft a running back instead.

Who wins?

The 2015 NFL Draft will be the first for the Pegulas. Will Terry and Kim make the final draft decisions?

Has Rex Ryan ever had the ability to draft the players he wanted?

When the Pegulas hired Rex Ryan, did they get a head coach and a football, "czar," too?

Meathead
02-12-2015, 07:55 PM
when asked after bowing out of the czar job if he had any advice for the new owners battlin' bill said listen to the hc when it comes to personnel needs. so it seems like they might have little choice but to bend a tad more than usual rexys way if any draft tie-breakers come up

not sure thats all good for rexy or the team but good question anyway

John Doe
02-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Let's say Rex wants to draft a quarterback in the 2nd round and Doug Whaley wants to draft a running back instead.

Who wins?

The 2015 NFL Draft will be the first for the Pegulas. Will Terry and Kim make the final draft decisions?

When the Pegulas hired Rex Ryan, did they get a head coach and a football, "czar," too?

I recall when the Jets drafted John Connor about 6 years ago that it was Rex's pick. He made some sort of comment that the GM allowed him to make his own pick for one round of the draft and Rex was enamored of Conner so he used it to pick him - I think it was in the 5th round.

Mace
02-12-2015, 08:25 PM
My thought is that if you're going to roll with Rexfest after his chaotic situation in NJ, was that you go all in and live or die by him. I don't think Ryan ever had that much control in NY with Tannenbaum then Idzik. I don't think, given the desire for a football czar, and his spending of draft picks (Watkins/Brown, instead of 5 picks in the first 4 rounds we have 2) there should be any reason Whaley runs the draft by himself and certainly Brandon shouldn't while the Pegula's certainly can not.

Let it roll on Rex. The Bills committed themselves, no turning back now.

Meathead
02-12-2015, 08:46 PM
I recall when the Jets drafted John Connor about 6 years ago that it was Rex's pick.

its not a toomah

wait wrong movie

YardRat
02-13-2015, 05:32 AM
If they build a good working relationship, there should rarely be an opportunity for one to overrule the other.

Night Train
02-13-2015, 05:41 AM
If they build a good working relationship, there should rarely be an opportunity for one to overrule the other.

Bingo. Ralph let Jauron pick his players and it ruined us long term. Thankfully, those days are gone.

It should be Rex saying what units need starters and depth, with Whaley and the scouts showing him whats' available in both FA and the Draft.

better days
02-13-2015, 05:55 AM
The Atlanta Falcons have given TOTAL Control of the roster to their new HC Dan Quinn.

Quinn was a DC, has never been a HC before the Falcons job.

It should be interesting to see how the Falcons do with Quinn in TOTAL control of that team.

coastal
02-13-2015, 05:59 AM
Ask Pat Lafontaine how Pegs operates

Albany,n.y.
02-13-2015, 10:08 AM

Who wins?

It depends on where the Bills board is on the 2 players. If Rex wants a 5th round graded QB drafted in the 2nd round he's not getting him in the 2nd round. If they're equal on the board there will be no debate since QB is much more important than RB.
Bottom line is you trust your scouts & board & then take the more important position among close to equally graded players. If you have someone with a high 1st rd grade who is still there in the 2nd you take him regardless of what position he plays. That's not as crazy as it sounds that you can have a huge grade on a guy available in the 2nd round. When Brett Favre was a 2nd round pick, Ron Wolf had him rated the best player in the draft-and he was right.

jamze132
02-13-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm sure Rex will get the players he wants from the available pool.

justasportsfan
02-13-2015, 02:56 PM

I'd fire them both.

YardRat
02-13-2015, 03:53 PM
The Atlanta Falcons have given TOTAL Control of the roster to their new HC Dan Quinn.

Quinn was a DC, has never been a HC before the Falcons job.

It should be interesting to see how the Falcons do with Quinn in TOTAL control of that team.

He might delegate the offense to the OC or GM.

better days
02-14-2015, 06:15 AM
He might delegate the offense to the OC or GM.

Who knows? It probably depends on how big his ego is.

I prefer the Bills way myself where a consensus is reached.

WagonCircler
02-14-2015, 02:01 PM
I prefer the Bills way myself where a consensus is reached.

Because that's worked out SO well!

You know what a camel is?

It's a horse, built by a committee.

swiper
02-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Consensus is stupid and has never worked. Ask Doug Marrone. The answer is to get a GM with a strong history of evaluating players up close and personal and let him, and only him, make the call.

The idea of a team of people coming to a consensus build distrust at the draft table. We heard that from people who sat at the draft table with Tom Donahoe. Those who wrote their picks down on a slip and passed it down, but the players NEVER got selected.

Strongman
02-14-2015, 04:29 PM
when asked after bowing out of the czar job if he had any advice for the new owners battlin' bill said listen to the hc when it comes to personnel needs. so it seems like they might have little choice but to bend a tad more than usual rexys way if any draft tie-breakers come up

not sure thats all good for rexy or the team but good question anyway

Wasn't Maybin a Jauron pick? I hope Polian gave the Pegulas a few caveats with that advice.

Mace
02-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Because that's worked out SO well!

You know what a camel is?

Much younger I convinced a friend it was a cigarette filled with hash, and you had to pull hard on it though it had no filter for the buzz. The results were really comical though they make me feel really bad remembering what a jerk I was. If you read this, I'm really sorry, it seemed like it would be funny and I didn't have any idea I was being such a jerk back then because someone had played the same trick on me.

I just realized it after 1 and not the 10 you tried. I didn't think you'd keep trying. I'm really sorry man.

WagonCircler
02-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Much younger I convinced a friend it was a cigarette filled with hash, and you had to pull hard on it though it had no filter for the buzz. The results were really comical though they make me feel really bad remembering what a jerk I was. If you read this, I'm really sorry, it seemed like it would be funny and I didn't have any idea I was being such a jerk back then because someone had played the same trick on me.

I just realized it after 1 and not the 10 you tried. I didn't think you'd keep trying. I'm really sorry man.

When I was a kid, I told my little brother that the bottom of the pool smelled like strawberries--but you had to take a really big whiff.