PDA

View Full Version : Rex says more additions coming on offense

YardRat
02-13-2015, 04:51 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Rex-says-more-additions-coming-on-offense/c2b3cddf-fbcd-46f8-b16c-ff14706c80c2

“We have some pieces in place on the outside (wide receiver), but it starts on the offensive line,” Ryan said. “We added Incognito, we have a couple of young tackles that I feel really good about and then obviously you’ve got <nobr>Eric Woodhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/eric-wood/28177895-2da7-45bc-bdcf-80ff3f3995f2/)</nobr> at center, but we may be bringing in some other pieces as well.”

Ryan believes the offensive line needs to set the tone on that side of the ball, so they’re trying to upgrade the talent up front across the board.
“When your offensive line is the strength of your offense you’re able to dictate to people whether your run the football or protect the quarterback and throw the ball down the field,” he said.

“Will EJ Manuel have an opportunity to win the job? I think he will. He’ll be given an opportunity certainly and I think he’s going to improve under the leadership of Greg Roman the offensive coordinator,” Ryan said. “David Lee is one of the best fundamental quarterback coaches there is so I think he’s going to improve that way."

GreedoII
02-13-2015, 05:11 AM
o-line and TE I believe....QB only by trade if the opportunity is there..or Manning if he's released...

The King
02-13-2015, 05:23 AM
It would help EJ tremendously if we had a TE who was able to pick up YAC.

Night Train
02-13-2015, 05:37 AM
Agree with the TE thinking. Murphy had a recap on his radio show last night and seemed to indicate a bunch of TE/H-Back types are out there in FA. Still like the late season aquisition Gray.

OL could be had in the draft. I posted my thoughts earlier on all the quality I viewed throughout the college season, with many solid interior lineman showing in Rounds 2-3 and even in the late rounds. That's why I temper my thinking with OG in FA, since Williams is coming back off IR and Incognito was just signed.

FA may be the route for TE/H-Back, Safety ( in case of Searcy not coming back ) and DE/LB (if Hughes leaves).

Still must think forward, with Dareus needing the new large deal within the next year and deserving it. Must leave the cap space for that and he won't come cheap.

Hoping Hughes and Searcy stay, personally.

better days
02-13-2015, 05:58 AM
Rex also said the STRENGTHS of the team will be the Defense & the OL.

I expect a big FA signing as soon as FA opens up for the OL.

Saratoga Slim
02-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Rex also said the STRENGTHS of the team will be the Defense & the OL.

I expect a big FA signing as soon as FA opens up for the OL.

Honestly, assuming that Incognito can get back close to where he was, we're one guard short of a pretty impressive OL. I'd expect Henderson to take another step forward this year, Glenn is great, and Wood is at least above average.

Saratoga Slim
02-13-2015, 07:25 AM
I still think the Chris Williams signing was a mistake. Health issues aside, he was really not very good in St. Louis. I think they were hoping he'd do a Jerry Hughes and finally live up to his draft billing. If we sign an Iupati or someone like that I would expect that Williams gets cut.

Mahdi
02-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Henderson struggled a lot last season. Wasn't anything more than a serviceable RT.

Glenn was not the player he was 2 years ago.

We need at least 2 FA signings and 2 drafted players.

Id like to add Rodney Hudson to center and move Wood to RG. Or sign Orlando Franklin or Clint Boling.

As for Ritchie Incognito this is what PFF said when he was suspended:

Richie Incognito, Dolphins LG (Suspension)
Replacement: Nate Garner

What They’re Losing: Though Incognito suffered no injury, he is a roster loss that now needs to be replaced on the field. He didn’t deserve a trip to the Pro Bowl last season, but he has consistently brought above-average production and has the eighth-highest grade of any left guard this season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/09/injury-report-next-man-up-week-10/

Saratoga Slim
02-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Henderson struggled a lot last season. Wasn't anything more than a serviceable RT.

Id like to add Rodney Hudson to center and move Wood to RG. Or sign Orlando Franklin or Clint Boling.

What They’re Losing: Though Incognito suffered no injury, he is a roster loss that now needs to be replaced on the field. He didn’t deserve a trip to the Pro Bowl last season, but he has consistently brought above-average production and has the eighth-highest grade of any left guard this season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/09/injury-report-next-man-up-week-10/

Yeah, agree re Glenn but I think it's hard to accurately evaluate one player on an OL when the guy next to him sucks. And Henderson was a rookie....serviceable as a rookie is a good start. I think it's a good bet that he'll take another step forward. Also, as a late rounder he's cheap, and would help offset the cost of an expensive RG signing

Don't Panic
02-13-2015, 07:51 AM
I'd love to see efforts made for Iupati and one of either Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron. If Hughes is getting anything close to $10 million, we have to let him go.... I bet Orakpo could be brought in on the relative cheap with lots of incentives in his contract. He's got a lot to prove and Ryan is the perfect guy to let him prove it.

better days
02-13-2015, 07:54 AM

Eric Wood said Incognito will bring a toughness to the Bills OL.

I think that is the reason Rex wanted him on the Bills.

Rex has said the Bills will be a tough aggressive team that other teams won't want to play for 60 minutes.

Mahdi
02-13-2015, 08:58 AM

Rex has said the Bills will be a tough aggressive team that other teams won't want to play for 60 minutes.

I agree and I think Incognito was a good add. I like that he was among top 8 in LG in his last action before suspension.

jamze132
02-13-2015, 01:43 PM
Still need to add to the O-line through FA. Would love to get a top TE from FA as well and still draft the best available with our first pick.

justasportsfan
02-13-2015, 02:48 PM
It would help EJ tremendously if we had a TE who was able to pick up YAC.
this was Watkins' biggest asset in college. YAC. It didn't help him in the NFL because EJ couldn't find him and when he did, he was getting Watkins killed.

justasportsfan
02-13-2015, 02:51 PM

Rex has been known not to back up his mouth so I'd be careful about believing him.

better days
02-13-2015, 04:00 PM
this was Watkins' biggest asset in college. YAC. It didn't help him in the NFL because EJ couldn't find him and when he did, he was getting Watkins killed.

Well, EJ only played 4 games with Watkins.

It was Orton that couldn't find Sammy the other 12 games.

swiper
02-15-2015, 04:45 AM
Rex has been known not to back up his mouth so I'd be careful about believing him.

Read the op and thought the same. He did it for 6 years in NYC. Blathering. Supporting EJ Manuel, while not really supporting him.

justasportsfan
02-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Well, EJ only played 4 games with Watkins.

It was Orton that couldn't find Sammy the other 12 games.and Watkins quit on him after only 4 games.

stuckincincy
02-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Still need to add to the O-line through FA. Would love to get a top TE from FA as well and still draft the best available with our first pick.

I'd like to see his snout rooting around other clubs' practice squads. And mending whatever fences were broken last season with WR Woods.

psubills62
02-16-2015, 07:13 AM
Can see us getting a total of about 3 more OL (who are expected to make the roster) in FA and draft.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-16-2015, 09:53 AM
I'd like to see his snout rooting around other clubs' practice squads. And mending whatever fences were broken last season with WR Woods.

I would like to see them re-sign Mike Williams.

Strongman
02-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Washington's TE Niles Paul might be an option for us. He's a little small and doesn't block very well, but he's fast and shows flashes of big play ability. Sounds like he could be in the $2-2.5 million/yr range

The Jokeman
02-16-2015, 05:44 PM
Washington's TE Niles Paul might be an option for us. He's a little small and doesn't block very well, but he's fast and shows flashes of big play ability. Sounds like he could be in the $2-2.5 million/yr range

He's a back up in Washington for a reason. I don't want to go the "Robert Royal" route of TE. Though Paul might be better than Royal as a pass catcher/athlete I'm not sure he's a starting TE in the NFL. Give me Cameron, J Thomas, Gresham or Clay as they've all proven they can start in the NFL.