X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CommissarSpartacus
    • Mar 2003

Why not Kirk Cousins?

I remember watching Cousins play during his rookie year in 2012 and he looked REALLY good. Poised, good arm, accurate.

Then in 2013, he didn't look nearly as good, but the team and coaching staff were blowing up, with Shanahan leaving and the RG111 controversies. Under the circumstances, it would be hard to see any second year qb succeeding in that environment.

Then last year, his stats were pretty good again in another awful situation, with only a 10 td - 9 int stat marring a decent set of numbers.

In 6 games, he completed 62% of his passes for an average of 285 yds per game.

Now, I hesitate to ask about qbs because more often than not the threads get ruined by people with an axe to grind from previous encounters, plus any qb that's available will have a group of guys that say he sucks, but we have to do something, so it means that whoever we get, a group of guys are going to have doubts.

So, we have to take a chance.

I liked a lot of what I saw from Kirk Cousins when he was playing on a decent team and it's hard for me to say he sucks because of the rotten situation in Washington the last two years.

So, if we signed him, I'd be happy to go that route.

But, I admit I haven't studied the group of qbs that are available as extensively as one would do if one was Doug Whaley, but from what I've seen, Cousins looks like the best bet out of a weak field.
    My tebya razdavim
  • Albany,n.y.
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why not Kirk Cousins?

Any QB stats you put up don't tell the story of how bad he is. The reason every post about an available QB will get a response that he sucks is because all of the available veteran QBs do suck. That's why they'll be available. The only way we'll get a decent vet QB for next season is if they make some monster trade or some team does a salary dump & a decent vet goes on the market. Kirk Cousins was exposed once the NFL got some tapes on him. That's the way it is with a lot of QBs whose best play is early in their careers & then they fizzle out. Cousins carbonation is all gone.

Comment

• Spartacus
      • Mar 2003

Robert Griffin III's role as Washington's clear-cut starter has been called into question by former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann.

Theismann questions RG III's role

Updated: August 24, 2014, 4:19 PM ET
      ESPN.com news services

Robert Griffin III's role as Washington's clear-cut starter has been called into question by former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann.

Theismann, now a sportscaster for the Redskins Broadcast Network, said during Washington's loss Saturday night to the Baltimore Ravens that backup Kirk Cousins has been a better quarterback than Griffin.

"Let's stop beating around the bush," Theismann said during the broadcast, according to The Washington Post. "Kirk Cousins has played much better at the quarterback position than Robert Griffin III has. Now, Robert is learning to work out of a pocket. He doesn't look as smooth or as comfortable throwing the football. I mean, your eyes will tell you everything you need to know.

"It's going to be a decision that Jay Gruden is going to have to make. Right now, Robert Griffin III is his quarterback. Now, if there was a quarterback competition, it wouldn't be a competition. Kirk Cousins would be the man I believe he would have to go to, because of the efficiency with which he has run [the offense]. Now Kirk, like I said, is basically a dropback quarterback. I see Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, I see Kirk Cousins that way."

Griffin went 5-for-7 for 20 yards in the first half of Washington's 23-17 loss and was sacked three times. He returned in the third quarter and threw just one pass, an interception deep in Washington territory. He also dropped a snap and gained 3 yards on three impromptu runs.

"I think there's going to be a lot of conversation after this football game regarding the quarterback position," Theismann said on the broadcast.

"You can't avoid it. Your eyes don't lie to you. Robert has struggled in the limited opportunities that he has had. And Kirk Cousins has seized the opportunities that he has had when it comes to playing the position and understanding the offense."

Cousins went 14-for-20 for 122 yards and two touchdowns against the Ravens.

...more...
      My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Spartacus
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
        The only way we'll get a decent vet QB for next season is if they make some monster trade or some team does a salary dump & a decent vet goes on the market...
        Who are the guys you'd trade for or pick up after a salary dump?

Persoanlly, I can't see any team willing to get rif of a qb universally regarded as a top guy.

Which means we have to get a guy that people have doubts about and hope that with work, and a better situation, he can be successful.

But, I don't see how a "I wouldn't want a qb that we could get to come and play for us" attitude gets us anywhere...
        My tebya razdavim

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Cousins is under contract, so it would require a trade. Rumor is they want a 2nd for him, which might be a little steep for me. If we were going that high, I'd rather draft someone and get all of their cheap years.

If he does hit fa, then sure. Id like him over his like Sanchez and Bradford.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            Who are the guys you'd trade for or pick up after a salary dump?

Persoanlly, I can't see any team willing to get rif of a qb universally regarded as a top guy.

Which means we have to get a guy that people have doubts about and hope that with work, and a better situation, he can be successful.

But, I don't see how a "I wouldn't want a qb that we could get to come and play for us" attitude gets us anywhere...
            Best cases are Drew Brees, Peyton Manning & Sam Bradford. I'd take a shot at Bradford hoping he can do what Phil Simms did-get injured a lot early in his career & then put together an impressive durability streak. Brees & Manning would be the ultimate win now guys. I'm not saying any of these guys would be available but going after the current set of losers isn't going to help the Bills. Just signing a guy with NFL experience won't get us anywhere either.

Comment

• Spartacus
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
              Best cases are Drew Brees, Peyton Manning & Sam Bradford. I'd take a shot at Bradford hoping he can do what Phil Simms did-get injured a lot early in his career & then put together an impressive durability streak. Brees & Manning would be the ultimate win now guys. I'm not saying any of these guys would be available but going after the current set of losers isn't going to help the Bills. Just signing a guy with NFL experience won't get us anywhere either.
              Brees and Peyton Manning are out of the picture.

And isn't Bradford signed to a ridiculous contract?
              My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Spartacus
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                Cousins is under contract, so it would require a trade. Rumor is they want a 2nd for him, which might be a little steep for me. If we were going that high, I'd rather draft someone and get all of their cheap years.

If he does hit fa, then sure. Id like him over his like Sanchez and Bradford.
                I'd do a 2nd rounder.
                My tebya razdavim

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

I'd do a 2nd rounder.
                  Which means our first pick would be in the 3rd round? No thanks.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

That contract is the reason Bradford may become available.

The Rams will cut Bradford before paying him what that contract calls for next year.

But the Rams would like to restructure his contract & sign him for less money.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Cousins isn't worth the value he'd probably require to obtain via trade. He may be marginally better than some of the guys that will be FA's, but not enough to justify the price tag. I'm with Illumi, if he hits the market I'd bring him in, but I'm not giving up assets to get him.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                        • Nov 2007

More great ideas.....

kirk cousins lost his job to colt f@@@ing McCoy. The same colt f@@@ing McCoy that couldn't hack it in Cleveland. No thank you
                        I came.
                        I saw.
                        I conquered.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                          • Jul 2002

That's why he may get cut. Everyone decent is out of the picture right now-that's why all QB threads are garbage because garbage in, garbage out.

Comment

• Spartacus
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            Cousins isn't worth the value he'd probably require to obtain via trade. He may be marginally better than some of the guys that will be FA's, but not enough to justify the price tag. I'm with Illumi, if he hits the market I'd bring him in, but I'm not giving up assets to get him.
                            We need a qb more than we need whatever asset we could get in the 2nd round.

I know all you wanna be gms love your draft day, but don`t forget, the guy you draft in the second round could be Torrell Troupe rather than Brandon Spikes...
                            My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I know all you wanna be gms love your draft day, but don`t forget, the guy you draft in the second round could be Torrell Troupe rather than Brandon Spikes...
                              That is the worst mentality ever. Let's trade away draft picks because the rookie could suck, for a veteran player who DOES suck.

Comment

Working...
                              X