• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Jordan Cameron: potential 2015 NFL free agency target

Cameron displays the pass-catching abilities of the new wave of tight ends in the NFL. Unfortunately, his streak of concussions makes him a risky proposition for any NFL team. I would be hard-pressed to see the Bills make a large contract offer to Cameron, but possibly a "prove it" deal could be a viable option. While most may consider a "prove-it" deal as a one-year contract, a la Brandon Spikes, it may take a two-year deal for the Bills based on the team's issues at quarterback.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Jordan Cameron: potential 2015 NFL free agency target

He makes sense given Roman's history with Vernon Davis. He's a guy who can play on the line or split out into the slot. The concussion risk though is a huge one.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
      He makes sense given Roman's history with Vernon Davis. He's a guy who can play on the line or split out into the slot. The concussion risk though is a huge one.
      He's had 3 bad concussions in 2 years. I wouldn't break the bank on a guy one hit away from ending his career.

Draft one and also look at H-Back/TE Charles Clay of Miami.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Don't Panic
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Dec 2005

If we go the Julius Thomas route you're going to have to overpay due to inflated production as a result of being in a Peyton Manning system. I'm guessing 5 years/$40 million. That said, he's the best FA TE out there IMO so you know you're getting a good product.

If we go the Charles Clay route we could probably get him for 4 years/$25 million. He offers a little different dynamic in that we can have him block out of the backfield as well, which may be attractive to Ryan and Roman.

If we go the Jordan Cameron route then we're almost certainly holding on to Chandler as well, as there's no guarantee Cameron can stay healthy. I can't imagine he get's more than $5 million a year, so I'll go with the 2 years above at $10 million. I loved him the year he was healthy, so there is a bit of a low risk/high reward element here.

So if we go TE, I would guess those are the three most likely options.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
          If we go the Julius Thomas route you're going to have to overpay due to inflated production as a result of being in a Peyton Manning system. I'm guessing 5 years/$40 million. That said, he's the best FA TE out there IMO so you know you're getting a good product.

If we go the Charles Clay route we could probably get him for 4 years/$25 million. He offers a little different dynamic in that we can have him block out of the backfield as well, which may be attractive to Ryan and Roman.

If we go the Jordan Cameron route then we're almost certainly holding on to Chandler as well, as there's no guarantee Cameron can stay healthy. I can't imagine he get's more than $5 million a year, so I'll go with the 2 years above at $10 million. I loved him the year he was healthy, so there is a bit of a low risk/high reward element here.

I think we're going to add a TE, but I think Roman is going to see if Gray can be that H-Back type guy before moving on to bringing somebody else in.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• GvilleBills
            • Mar 2006

Add Clay to Gray and Gragg. This is Graggs last camp if he doesn't step up.
            Chandler is still under contract, and would be a nice 2.

Or...dump everybody but Gray, and get both Clay and Gresham. JG is the blocker we need, but without the Lee Smith penalties.
            Granted, might be too much $ tied into the TE position. Yet it could be very helpful for EJ. (I hate to say it, but until a better option shows itself, he's the guy)
            Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
              I think we're going to add a TE, but I think Roman is going to see if Gray can be that H-Back type guy before moving on to bringing somebody else in.
              I really liked what little we saw out of Gray in terms of speed, size, hands, blocking and willingness to hit, with or without the ball.

Comment

• CoolBreeze
                • Feb 2009

I don't get the Jordan Cameron craze. An injury prone guy who has 2-4 great games a year then is a non-factor, or injuried for the rest. A solid run blocker though, but I would not want him unless he comes cheap (which he will not). I believe there will be a QB signing or trade for a QB before any TE, WR signings.

I understand Cleveland's QB woes, Buffalo is in the same boat. Maybe if Cameron had a solid QB who was consistent, he'd put up better production all season if he could stay healthy. But we don't have that here, at least not yet. If we did I'd say the pursuit of Cameron would be much more appealing. For now, for what he wants I'd pass.

Comment

• Zero
                  Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs
                  • Oct 2004

Cameron is nice talent if he can stay healthy and that's a big "If". One more concussion could end his career so I'd pass on him.

I really like Clay- has a good combination of skills and physical attributes.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post

Don't dismiss Jermaine Gresham although he's not as athletic as some of the other TEs you mentioned he's a great inline blocker and a better pass catcher that Lee Smith and might be a more complete player than Chandler. I think Chandler stays regardless who we bring in as an UFA and/or draft. Yet I prefer a vet as can't see a rookie unseating Chandler as a starter.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by CoolBreeze View Post
                      I don't get the Jordan Cameron craze. An injury prone guy who has 2-4 great games a year then is a non-factor, or injuried for the rest. A solid run blocker though, but I would not want him unless he comes cheap (which he will not). I believe there will be a QB signing or trade for a QB before any TE, WR signings.

I understand Cleveland's QB woes, Buffalo is in the same boat. Maybe if Cameron had a solid QB who was consistent, he'd put up better production all season if he could stay healthy. But we don't have that here, at least not yet. If we did I'd say the pursuit of Cameron would be much more appealing. For now, for what he wants I'd pass.
                      *Cameron led all NFL tight ends last season with four receptions of at least 40 yards. The two longest -- for 81 and 51 yards -- were for touchdowns against Carolina and Pittsburgh; the other two were for 47 and 42 against Pittsburgh, according to Pro Football Reference.

*ESPN Stats and Information reports that since 2001, only two tight ends -- Jimmy Graham in 2013 and Vernon Davis in 2010 -- had more than four 40-yard plays in a season, both with five.

*In that time, only three tight ends have had at least four big plays of that nature in a season: Davis, Graham and Cameron.

*Last season, Cameron doubled the second-highest total, as Washington’s Niles Paul, Tennessee’s Delanie Walker and Indianapolis’ Coby Fleener had two plays of 40 yards or more.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...-buffalo-bills

Cameron displays the pass-catching abilities of the new wave of tight ends in the NFL. Unfortunately, his streak of concussions makes him a risky proposition for any NFL team. I would be hard-pressed to see the Bills make a large contract offer to Cameron, but possibly a "prove it" deal could be a viable option. While most may consider a "prove-it" deal as a one-year contract, a la Brandon Spikes, it may take a two-year deal for the Bills based on the team's issues at quarterback.
                        Camron was offered 6-7mil long term to stay in cleveland, he turned them down. he's said to be looking for a long term 7-9mil deal.

he won't come in on a 1-2 year contract "make it or break it" deal. he's looking for a big bucks 4-6 year 50-60mil ~ homerun.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

I wouldn't give Cameron any kind of long term deal.

You're looking at a guy who could play one more game, take another shot to the head and decide to retire. Or you're looking at a guy who you can't count on having for more than 10 games in a season.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                            I wouldn't give Cameron any kind of long term deal.

You're looking at a guy who could play one more game, take another shot to the head and decide to retire. Or you're looking at a guy who you can't count on having for more than 10 games in a season.
                            then lets stop talking about cameron as a 5-6mil /year 1 or 2 year floater contract. if he wanted that money and contract he'd of resigned with cleveland.

and i'm with you, he's not worth 7mil/year.
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

I'd scratch Cameron off of the list based on concussions and money.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X