PDA

View Full Version : Josh McCown & Bills to "work out a deal"

Skooby
02-16-2015, 08:23 AM
There's supposed to be something done today:

Per Schefter:

@AdamSchefter: Former Bucs QB Josh McCown is in Buffalo, where the two sides are trying to work out a deal today, per me and @mikerodak.

@AdamSchefter: So before the Bills even get to the combine, they could have a new QB in Josh McCown and do have a new G in Richie Incognito.

Pinkerton Security
02-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Oh boy. Not sure how I feel about this guy.

Lone Stranger
02-16-2015, 08:37 AM
This is a decent pickup. The Bills may be able to squeeze a couple of years from him.

jamze132
02-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Why? He's garbage. I would much rather go after Hoyer...

Let's go buffalo
02-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Why? He's garbage. I would much rather go after Hoyer...
Do you see the irony in this?

Skooby
02-16-2015, 08:43 AM
McCown has much more NFL experience than Tuel & improves our QB core, I can't see how this hurts us.

jamze132
02-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Do you see the irony in this?

The irony isn't lost on me, but Hoyer at least has upside...

better days
02-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Well, I read McCown has plans to visit other Cities as well as Buffalo.

I hope Pegula listens to the 72% of fans that voted NO in the WGR poll about signing McCown.

elltrain22
02-16-2015, 08:52 AM
I like it! If he can what he was in Chicago, we might have a decent QB on our hands.

The Doc
02-16-2015, 08:53 AM
I kinda like the McCown idea. I think last years Tampa debacle and the year before thats Chicago triumph are equally non indicative of McCown. He's probably somewhere in the middle. But if we can get a run game going then McCown will be good enough as a stop gap. EJ isn't gonna happen... McCown is a step up from EJ.

jamze132
And if we could go back in time, Obama wouldn't be elected...

Night Train
The irony isn't lost on me, but Hoyer at least has upside...

I don't agree. He looked God awful against the Bills with wide open guys being missed badly. No arm strength at all.

This is certainly not an endorsement for McCown but an indictment on the entire FA QB pool, which blows.

Have to try one or two of them to compete with Manuel.. Here's one.

better days
02-16-2015, 08:57 AM
I like it! If he can what he was in Chicago, we might have a decent QB on our hands.

That is the one year people are hanging their hats on in regards to McCown & it was not even a full year.

What other year can you point to in McCown's illustrious career & say I want that for the Bills?

SpikedLemonade
02-16-2015, 08:58 AM
This may have made sense if we hired Marc Trestman as our OC.

streetkings01
02-16-2015, 09:05 AM
Bring in another young QB like McCoy , Locker , Ponder etc and let them all battle it out.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-16-2015, 09:07 AM
We're talking about a 13 year veteran QB, and the only stretch anyone can point to to say he's good is five games when he also happened to have two of the most physically dominant wideouts and one of the best receiving halfbacks in football.

What a horrible horrible signing this would be.

EDS
Brilliant move. What better way to improve E.J.'s confidence than to pit him against a dumpster fire.

Skooby
Bring in another young QB like McCoy , Locker , Ponder etc and let them all battle it out.

I'm sure we will bring in more QBs, how many more is up for debate.

Skooby
02-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Brilliant move. What better way to improve E.J.'s confidence than to pit him against a dumpster fire.

Folks that need to be propped up usually can't succeed on their own & I'm getting sick about a adult that needs to be coddled. These are men getting paid millions, step up and play ball if you can.

Albany,n.y.
02-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Keep this in mind: This is a very similar situation to 1998. In 1997 Todd Collins was the starter and the Bills decided they wanted to go in a different direction. Their new HC wasn't a Collins fan. The 1st thing they did was sign a veteran to compete with Collins-Doug Flutie. They then pulled off the Rob Johnson trade & Wade declared it the beginning of the Phillips/Johnson era.
My point is if McCown is signed, all it means is they are bringing in veteran competition for a shaky "QB of the future" who hasn't done much. We don't know yet if Rex feels as negatively towards EJ as Wade felt about Collins. They may be far from done as far as QBs are concerned.

Bill Cody
02-16-2015, 09:12 AM
That is the one year people are hanging their hats on in regards to McCown & it was not even a full year.

What other year can you point to in McCown's illustrious career & say I want that for the Bills?

Fact: the choices out there are all flawed. Hopefully EJ steps up. If not we're probably screwed anyway.

justasportsfan
would have been a good pick up if Trestman was our OC, but Mckown wont be asked to win games just like Roman did with Alex Smith.

colin
Never hurts to have at least one vet qb.

Mahdi
02-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Good signing, has always had good arm strength and a great deep ball. Also is very good a dropping balls into the corner of the endzone in redzone situations.

I think we should be going after a big WR and a TE. Cameron and Fitzgerald would be good adds. Woods, Hogan are 3 and 4.

The Doc
02-16-2015, 09:22 AM
I don't want to be a condescending D-Bag here...but some of you are really opposed to this. This isn't a bad thing. Here's why:

1- He's better than EJ
2- It doesn't mean we can't bring any of the other FA QBs in
3- It doesn't mean we can't draft a QB
4- He can be productive
5- A veteran presence isn't a bad thing
6- He's better than EJ
7- Whaley can lie and say he's set at the QB position with this signing and then do something sneaky in the draft or trade
8- For a soon-to-be 36 year old, McCown is mobile

This isn't a bad thing!!!

Skooby
02-16-2015, 09:34 AM
I don't want to be a condescending D-Bag here...but some of you are really opposed to this. This isn't a bad thing. Here's why:

1- He's better than EJ
4- He can be productive
6- He's better than EJ
7- Whaley can lie and say he's set at the QB position with this signing and then do something sneaky in the draft or trade

He's better than Tuel & EJ, best QB that we will have.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-16-2015, 09:35 AM
This guy has fewer good games then Ryan Fitzpatrick the year we extended him. Beating up on Dallas' awful defense in that 2013 Monday Night Football game probably earned McCown two new contracts. :rofl:

better days
02-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Good signing, has always had good arm strength and a great deep ball. Also is very good a dropping balls into the corner of the endzone in redzone situations.

I think we should be going after a big WR and a TE. Cameron and Fitzgerald would be good adds. Woods, Hogan are 3 and 4.

OK, like I said, point to ANY year other than the 8 games in Chicago the year before last & tell us you want that for the Bills.

better days
02-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Fact: the choices out there are all flawed. Hopefully EJ steps up. If not we're probably screwed anyway.

I agree, EJ really needs to step up or we are screwed.

But I would much rather take a gamble on Locker staying healthy than McCown having a year as good as his 8 games in Chicago a couple years ago.

Night Train
02-16-2015, 10:06 AM
I agree, EJ really needs to step up or we are screwed.

But I would much rather take a gamble on Locker staying healthy than McCown having a year as good as his 8 games in Chicago a couple years ago.

The problem being Locker never had a run where he threw 13 TD's to only 1 INT, like McCown did in the 2nd half of 2013.

Nothing you are saying is wrong at all. They ALL suck... but this is a Fitz 2.0 signing for a new coaching staff that believes the guy has more brains/poise to succeed (with a hopefully improved OL) than the other guys.

The Bucs OL resembled a prision break last season. Any QB would have sucked playing for them...and did.

Let's go buffalo
02-16-2015, 10:42 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/viccarucci/status/567370550017019904
Left without a contract

Night Train
02-16-2015, 10:51 AM
I guess he's on the visiting tour, where you eat a few free meals.

Mace
02-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Left without a contract

Hurray !!!

I'm thinking the team needs to do more comparison shopping and less impulse buying.

Meathead
02-16-2015, 11:20 AM
one of the bills 'must gets' is a veteran insuance/field mentor. theres a jillion guys that could be that and hes one of them. if they get him, great, check

either way it means continue with the other tasks, which includes either the highest pick they can manage for another qb, or alternatively a trade for a young veteran with upside

ej, veteran/mentor, and a new asset still with upside. that was always the formula so ... check

Mr. Miyagi
02-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Left without a contract
PFT says the same thing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/josh-mccown-leaves-buffalo-without-a-contract/

THANK GOD. :pray:

Mace
02-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Go Schefter Go !!!!

Just watch, he'll be talking Michael Vick next, that the Bills have "always" wanted him.

swiper
02-16-2015, 11:56 AM
This guy has fewer good games then Ryan Fitzpatrick the year we extended him. Beating up on Dallas' awful defense in that 2013 Monday Night Football game probably earned McCown two new contracts. :rofl:

He can run an offense.
He can make a hand-off.
He can handle at least one or two reads on pass plays.
He knows how to handle an audible.
He's got experience.

I don't like him the same way I liked Orton (at the time), but he's some semblence of a QB with experience running a pro-style offense. At this point I would feel better having him. A little bit any way.

- - - Updated - - -

PFT says the same thing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/josh-mccown-leaves-buffalo-without-a-contract/

THANK GOD. :pray:

Again, tell me who's out there that is better. It's not Sanchez.

Downinfloflo
02-16-2015, 12:07 PM
You know things are bad when Josh McCown is an option.:drunks:

Mr. Miyagi
02-16-2015, 12:25 PM
You know things are bad when Josh McCown is an option.:drunks:
You know things are bad when there are posters here who are pushing for McCown, as if he's the second coming of Joe Montana.

Let's go buffalo
02-16-2015, 12:36 PM
You know things are bad when there are posters here who are pushing for McCown, as if he's the second coming of Joe Montana.
On another board, somebody suggested jimmy claussen. I immediately deactivated my account and burned my laptop

Mr. Miyagi
02-16-2015, 12:43 PM
On another board, somebody suggested jimmy claussen. I immediately deactivated my account and burned my laptop
It's depressing how desperate some fans are. I would argue that EJ Manuel could be better than half of these clowns. Definitely better than McCown, McCoy, and Clausen. Remember EJ is still very young and only has 10 games experience. I'm not giving up on him yet.

Goobylal
02-16-2015, 12:44 PM

1- He's better than EJ
4- He can be productive
6- He's better than EJ

Yeah...no he's not. Please stop repeating this lie.

YardRat
02-16-2015, 12:54 PM
At least they are kicking the tires. Not really a fan, not really even an average QB, the only thing he has going for him is experience (most of it bad) and a few game stretch where he was hot. I hope he's not thinking leaving Buffalo is going to up the ante on whatever they offered, because if Whaley does cave he's an *******.

swiper
02-16-2015, 01:04 PM
It will be funny to see this guy turn down the Bills. Perhaps the best chance for him to get first team reps in the league. LOL.

Goobylal
02-16-2015, 01:52 PM
It will be funny to see this guy turn down the Bills. Perhaps the best chance for him to get first team reps in the league. LOL.
Most likely he's looking for warm weather and good early bird specials.

Mr. Pink
02-16-2015, 02:01 PM
McCown for part of a season under Trestman was better than EJ has ever been. That being said for the rest of McCown's career he's been at best equal to EJ.

We don't have Trestman.

djjimkelly
02-16-2015, 02:38 PM
useless signing imo he might even get cut in camp

streetkings01
02-16-2015, 02:48 PM
useless signing imo he might even get cut in camp
He left without being offered a contract

Goobylal
02-16-2015, 03:07 PM
McCown for part of a season under Trestman was better than EJ has ever been. That being said for the rest of McCown's career he's been at best equal to EJ.

We don't have Trestman.
No, the rest of McCown's career he's been worse, throwing for 48 TDs and 58 INTs, a 6.4 YPA, and a 57.6% completion rate. Too bad for McCown, partial seasons don't count, except for getting a huge new contract during which you **** the bed and look far worse than EJ has.

Goobylal
02-16-2015, 03:23 PM
And just to reiterate, last year was McCown's 12th in the NFL. Suffice it to say he's not going to get better than (the lousy that) he is.

The Jokeman
02-16-2015, 04:26 PM
And just to reiterate, last year was McCown's 12th in the NFL. Suffice it to say he's not going to get better than (the lousy that) he is.

For his sake I hope he returns to Chicago and struggles in replacing an injured Cutler and ends his career as a backup.

djjimkelly
02-16-2015, 04:30 PM
He left without being offered a contract

good not saying he wouldnt be an ok backup for the right team i just dont think thats us

swiper
02-16-2015, 04:43 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2362962-is-josh-mccown-the-best-qb-option-on-free-agent-market

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/12/josh-mccown-may-be-this-years-best-free-agent-quarterback/related/

BillsImpossible
02-16-2015, 06:27 PM
I think McCown got cold feet in Buffalo.

He had -3 reasons to leave without signing.

stuckincincy
02-17-2015, 11:48 AM
one of the bills 'must gets' is a veteran insuance/field mentor. theres a jillion guys that could be that and hes one of them. if they get him, great, check

either way it means continue with the other tasks, which includes either the highest pick they can manage for another qb, or alternatively a trade for a young veteran with upside

ej, veteran/mentor, and a new asset still with upside. that was always the formula so ... check

They've never had problems getting a mentor. It's the mentee side they have trouble with...

better days
02-17-2015, 12:13 PM

Yeah, that would be as funny as Marrone turning down the last two years of his contract with the Bills.

jamze132
02-17-2015, 03:07 PM
I don't agree. He looked God awful against the Bills with wide open guys being missed badly. No arm strength at all.

This is certainly not an endorsement for McCown but an indictment on the entire FA QB pool, which blows.

Have to try one or two of them to compete with Manuel.. Here's one.

Sorry, I just don't agree. The problems in Cleveland went much deeper than Hoyer. I don't think he played as well as he could if he weren't in such a disorganized organization. I would take Hoyer over McCown every day of the week to compete against EJ.

BuffaloRedleg
02-17-2015, 03:20 PM
He's bad but if he signs he'll be the best QB on the team.

I hate this offseason.

Goobylal
02-18-2015, 07:59 AM
He's bad but if he signs he'll be the best QB on the team.

I hate this offseason.
Again, no he won't.

swiper
02-26-2015, 04:35 AM
Again, no he won't.

Yes he would be.

Mary Kay Cabot
@MaryKayCabot (https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot)

QB Josh McCown will make his decision on a team possibly in a few days.#Browns (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash) are in the running. Wants to talk things over with family.

Goobylal
02-26-2015, 07:07 AM
Yes he would be.
Not in any way, shape, or form. A good but brief stretch in 2013 doesn't erase 11 other years of futility, most notably last year when he was tabbed to be the man and failed miserably.

CleveSteve
02-26-2015, 07:19 AM
Yes he would be.

As someone who has followed the team MKC has covered for decades, I can tell you she always puts content/source-free tweets out. She is part of the old wave of journalists and feels pressured to keep up with the times, so she tweets things that don't guarantee anything so she doesn't actually have to backpedal. I mean, really... what does that tweet say? He might make a decision in the next few days.

better days
02-26-2015, 07:20 AM
FA QB's I would take over McCown:

Jake Locker

Matt Moore

Brian Hoyer

Mark Sanchez

Christian Ponder

Colt McCoy

Ryan Mallett

Uncle Jesse
02-26-2015, 08:07 AM
They are talking contract with him today, now that he is done with his visits.

Goobylal
02-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Kevin Kolb 2.0. Ugh.

better days
02-26-2015, 08:51 AM
They are talking contract with him today, now that he is done with his visits.

Who is they?

And where did you see this reported?

I have not seen anything about McCown signing with anyone as of yet.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2015, 09:23 AM
Who is they?

And where did you see this reported?

I have not seen anything about McCown signing with anyone as of yet.

I just read it on fb. Someone linked an article to the Buffalo News saying the Bills are indeed trying to sign McCown

Albany,n.y.
02-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Does it really matter who they sign? There are no viable QBs out there in free agency, so all they're doing is looking for a stopgap guy until they can figure out what to do in 2016. That's the luxury a new coaching staff has-they get a free ride in season 1. They all know there better be an answer in 2016 when they have a #1 pick.
Paying about $5 million to a veteran QB is pretty much saying they don't have any trust that EJ will earn the starting job.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Exactly

None of these retreads are worth a Damn.

If I were the Bills I would sign McCown, and even another one of the list above and have a 3 way battle in camp.

With that said the winner of that battle has the shortest leash ever. If he doesn't produce.... NEXT and so on and so forth.

People whining about signing McCown.... WTF!!! WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Historian
02-26-2015, 10:11 AM
He looked pretty good when he and his Bucs kicked our asses on kid's night!

Skooby
02-26-2015, 10:41 AM

I personally think that he's better than EJ & would improve our QB position, his salary also doesn't inhibit us from going out and getting a higher-profile QB if one becomes available. Right now we have incompetence and another guy that doesn't belong in the NFL, we need some depth.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-26-2015, 10:41 AM

The fact that you have to bring up preseason results to justify signing a 12 year veteran tells the tale by itself.

Skooby
02-26-2015, 10:44 AM
The fact that you have to bring up preseason results to justify signing a 12 year veteran tells the tale by itself.

Would you rather have EJ or McNown start ?? I'm McNown >>>>> EJ.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Would you rather have EJ or McNown start ?? I'm McNown >>>>> EJ.

Why? McNown has been terrible for 95% of his career. EJ is at least young and has the potential to get better. McCown has already shown his best, and it was five good weeks two years ago.

better days
02-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Exactly

None of these retreads are worth a Damn.

If I were the Bills I would sign McCown, and even another one of the list above and have a 3 way battle in camp.

With that said the winner of that battle has the shortest leash ever. If he doesn't produce.... NEXT and so on and so forth.

People whining about signing McCown.... WTF!!! WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

MANY of the FA QB's are MUCH BETTER than McCown. That is the difference.

And if Locker could stay healthy, he would be a viable NFL starter.

Goobylal
02-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Does it really matter who they sign? There are no viable QBs out there in free agency, so all they're doing is looking for a stopgap guy until they can figure out what to do in 2016. That's the luxury a new coaching staff has-they get a free ride in season 1. They all know there better be an answer in 2016 when they have a #1 pick.
Paying about $5 million to a veteran QB is pretty much saying they don't have any trust that EJ will earn the starting job.
Not necessarily. They want a veteran backup and that's about the going rate for them.

better days
02-26-2015, 11:30 AM
I just read it on fb. Someone linked an article to the Buffalo News saying the Bills are indeed trying to sign McCown

That must be an OLD article from when McCown visited Buffalo.

Mace
02-26-2015, 11:39 AM
After they did such a thorough examination of all available vet QB options, I know I feel a lot better.

Albany,n.y.
02-26-2015, 11:47 AM
It's a new article that says the deal could be wrapped up by tomorrow, 2/27.

better days
02-26-2015, 11:52 AM
It's a new article that says the deal could be wrapped up by tomorrow, 2/27.

Could you provide a link? I would like to read that article.

I have seen NOTHING on the Official Bills site, or Two Bills drive or profootballtalk or WGR about this.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2015, 11:54 AM

Really please name a couple because none on the above list are worth a damn!

Mace
02-26-2015, 11:56 AM

May as well have tried a few of them out first to find the least worst though.

Mace
02-26-2015, 11:58 AM

I have seen NOTHING on the Official Bills site, or Two Bills drive or profootballtalk or WGR about this.

Just happened to be reading it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000474237/article/report-josh-mccown-buffalo-bills-in-negotiations

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/02/26/bills-looking-land-josh-mccown/

better days
02-26-2015, 11:59 AM

EVERYONE on that list is at least as good as McCown.

And all are younger.

Ed
02-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Well so much for trying to upgrade at QB. McCown is worse than Orton and I never wanted to see Orton take another snap for this team. I'm hoping EJ just wins the job and we never have to see McCown play.

feldspar
02-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Smacks of desperation, obviously.

I don't really like it.

SquishDaFish
02-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Damn the money is going to be around what you would pay for a goood backup. We need viable competition for EJ. Now sign one more or draft one and let the best man win. They have to get competition and not just hand EJ the job like previous. What can it hurt if hes good then GREAT for us if hes not then next man up. We HAVE to find the ONE!

better days
02-26-2015, 12:45 PM
I would hope the Bills sign at least one more vet when FA starts.

Hopefully McCown can be cut in TC if he does not play better than anyone else.

Albany,n.y.
02-26-2015, 12:50 PM

And all are younger.

Age is not important when your team is looking at a 1-2 year stopgap after they've realized they don't have a viable QB of the future & can't get one in the current year's draft.
The 2017 QB won't be on the team in 2015.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Age is not important when your team is looking at a 1-2 year stopgap after they've realized they don't have a viable QB of the future & can't get one in the current year's draft.

Exactly

better days
02-26-2015, 12:55 PM

If that QB is McCown, I agree stopgap at best.

11 TD's & 14 INTs last year for the Bucs.

I don't want to see him on the field for the Bills after labor day if he makes the roster.

Like I said, I think Locker could be a viable starter if he could stay healthy.

casdhf
02-26-2015, 01:21 PM
We picked Kyle Orton off the scrap heap and almost got to the playoffs. McCown is almost to the bone yard, but would at least be able to participate in the off-season stuff.

better days
02-26-2015, 02:15 PM
We picked Kyle Orton off the scrap heap and almost got to the playoffs. McCown is almost to the bone yard, but would at least be able to participate in the off-season stuff.

McCown participated in the off-season stuff with the Bucs last year.

Then went on to produce 11 TD's & 14 INT's.

Uncle Jesse
02-26-2015, 02:33 PM

MUCH BETTER? Hahahaha. Dude, they are all piles of ****, that's why they are available. Teams don't let legit QBs walk. Huge if on Locker, that he's never been able to do. You could say IF McCown played like he did for the Bears for us, we'd make the playoffs easily.

Uncle Jesse
02-26-2015, 02:36 PM

And all are younger.

I doubt the Bills are, nor should they be looking for their QB of the future in this pile of free agents, so to me, age is irrelevant.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2015, 02:40 PM
If that QB is McCown, I agree stopgap at best.

11 TD's & 14 INTs last year for the Bucs.

I don't want to see him on the field for the Bills after labor day if he makes the roster.

Like I said, I think Locker could be a viable starter if he could stay healthy.
OK so sign him too then....

- - - Updated - - -

MUCH BETTER? Hahahaha. Dude, they are all piles of ****, that's why they are available. Teams don't let legit QBs walk. Huge if on Locker, that he's never been able to do. You could say IF McCown played like he did for the Bears for us, we'd make the playoffs easily.
Exactly.... Get a grip people.

better days
02-26-2015, 02:46 PM

Well, I said that last year when he signed with the Bucs.

I was hopeful.

11 TD's 14 INT's removed all hope for McCown for me.

FIVE games in Chicago BIG DEAL.

And YES every one of those QB's I named has SOMETHING in their favor BETTER than McCown.

Don't Panic
02-26-2015, 02:56 PM
I'm fine with it. He better not play, anyway. Should just be an insurance policy. The only way we were making a big jump this year was with EJ as QB given what was out there. There are no saviors aside from the one already on the roster (potentially anyway).

Night Train
02-26-2015, 03:17 PM
His OC with the Bears is here on staff. Must have said he could be at least a backup. Another QB is coming.

Buffalogic
02-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Smart signing. Good job Whaley. See you on the next conference call.

Mr. Miyagi
02-26-2015, 03:40 PM
I'd much rather have Hoyer or Locker than McCown. This guy has been at best mediocre for all of his career except for 5 games 2 years ago. Like OP always says, exception does not make a rule.

Night Train
02-26-2015, 03:59 PM
At least we have a few months to work up a high level of hatred for him. That counts for something with the message board community.

Thank you, Bills.

:rolleyes:

YardRat
02-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Insurance in case Manuel crashes and burns again, might as well pencil in EJ as the opening day starter right now, barring injury. 90% of the QBs available via FA are basically in the same boat as EJ, so there is no need to double down on hope and potential with the Lockers and Malletts of the world. An experienced, vet back-up is apparently what they are looking for, and they got one if he actually does sign. Still expect a draft pick and another UDFA to be added to the mix.

Skooby
02-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Insurance in case Manuel crashes and burns again, might as well pencil in EJ as the opening day starter right now, barring injury. 90% of the QBs available via FA are basically in the same boat as EJ, so there is no need to double down on hope and potential with the Lockers and Malletts of the world. An experienced, vet back-up is apparently what they are looking for, and they got one if he actually does sign. Still expect a draft pick and another UDFA to be added to the mix.

I disagree, it'll be unknown FA / McNown / EJ in that order.

swiper
02-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Not in any way, shape, or form. A good but brief stretch in 2013 doesn't erase 11 other years of futility, most notably last year when he was tabbed to be the man and failed miserably.

Absolutely better than Manuel or Tuel. So you lose again. Reread what I said about those of average football intelligence. You can ask Santa for yours next Christmas. Along with you EJ Manuel fan club renewal. By then he'll be signing footballs after work at the local Walmart.

swiper
02-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Kevin Kolb 2.0. Ugh.

A healthy Kevin Kolb was definitely better than any other current Bills QB.

You just killed your own previous statement.

ROFL.

swiper
02-26-2015, 05:27 PM

Bingo.

swiper
02-26-2015, 05:30 PM

I have GOOGLED and GOOGLED and GOOGLED and I just can't find anything.

Goobylal
02-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Absolutely better than Manuel or Tuel. So you lose again. Reread what I said about those of average football intelligence. You can ask Santa for yours next Christmas. Along with you EJ Manuel fan club renewal. By then he'll be signing footballs after work at the local Walmart.

A healthy Kevin Kolb was definitely better than any other current Bills QB.

You just killed your own previous statement.

ROFL.
Stop posting. Seriously, you're embarrassing yourself. McCown and Kolb suck equally and are the same type of QB, i.e. each had a brief period of success in a partial season but had suckcess the rest of their careers. Again the 11 TD's and 14 INT's despite being with the Bucs all off-season and pencilled-in as the starter pretty much proves to anyone with even a few neurons that McCown is garbage. Never mind he was throwing to Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. The irony is they've been in the league for at least 7 seasons and have looked bad, and EJ has been in the league for 2 and you're already ready to write him off. Idiocy.

notacon
02-26-2015, 08:42 PM
McCown sucks even more than Orton did. This would be a step backwards on QB.

BertSquirtgum
02-26-2015, 10:22 PM
I'd rather have the Sanchez.

swiper
02-27-2015, 03:25 AM
Stop posting. Seriously, you're embarrassing yourself. McCown and Kolb suck equally and are the same type of QB, i.e. each had a brief period of success in a partial season but had suckcess the rest of their careers. Again the 11 TD's and 14 INT's despite being with the Bucs all off-season and pencilled-in as the starter pretty much proves to anyone with even a few neurons that McCown is garbage. Never mind he was throwing to Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. The irony is they've been in the league for at least 7 seasons and have looked bad, and EJ has been in the league for 2 and you're already ready to write him off. Idiocy.

You're the one that needs to stop posting. You and better days can take your circle jerk into some dark corner. Every other post here seems to remember that Ryan and Whaley both said they were looking for veterans to compete with the QBs on the roster. McNown would be just one piece of that puzzle. If you think Manuel can hand off, read a defense, call an audible better than McNown, well then you are clearly the idiot. You look absolutely foolish. As you often do.

swiper
02-27-2015, 03:36 AM
Browns still in the mix for Josh McCown (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/27/reports-browns-still-in-the-mix-for-josh-mccown/)

Reports: Browns still in the mix for Josh McCown

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 27, 2015, 12:09 AM EST
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpthhytk4nzu4nzi4ytm0ytizn2jkmjg2ytmxmgmzztk0-e1423707275628.jpeg?w=247
AP
If it’s not the Josh McCown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2090/josh-mccown) Derby, it’s at least a match race.

The Browns, like the Bills, are vying (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_browns_trying_to_sig.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter) to sign McCown, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Thursday night.

Furthermore, John Wawrow of the Associated Press reported McCown has engaged in “contract discussions (http://pro32.ap.org/article/ap-source-bills-negotiating-sign-quarterback-mccown)” with Buffalo and Cleveland.

Both reports, it should be noted, said the Bills and Browns were “at least” the teams interested in McCown at the moment. What that means in terms of McCown’s market is unclear.

Now, we wait to see with whom McCown signs and what he garners. The signing team will likely be out of the mix for a veteran quarterback, which could winnow the options for soon-to-be free agents like Brian Hoyer (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5463/brian-hoyer) (Cleveland) and Mark Sanchez (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5192/mark-sanchez) (Philadelphia).

For McCown, the motivation to get a deal done now is clear. Released by the Buccaneers earlier this month, he’s the only veteran passer currently getting any interest before free agency begins on Tuesday, March 10.

The Bills and Browns have reason to get a contract done, too. Their shopping at the position would be finished, and the cost would be on the books. They could turn their attention to other options when the market opens next month.

Forward_Lateral
02-27-2015, 06:05 AM
Why is everyone so high on Locker? The guy is more inaccurate than EJ

Mace
02-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Browns still in the mix for Josh McCown (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/27/reports-browns-still-in-the-mix-for-josh-mccown/)

Go Cleveland Go !!!! Browns Browns Browns Browns...Haaaas-lam Haaaas-lam Haaaas-lam.....

Goobylal
02-27-2015, 12:12 PM
You're the one that needs to stop posting. You and better days can take your circle jerk into some dark corner. Every other post here seems to remember that Ryan and Whaley both said they were looking for veterans to compete with the QBs on the roster. McNown would be just one piece of that puzzle. If you think Manuel can hand off, read a defense, call an audible better than McNown, well then you are clearly the idiot. You look absolutely foolish. As you often do.
LOL! If McCown can hand off, read a defense, and call an audible better than EJ, I wonder why he hasn't shown it yet? Twelve years in the NFL and he still sucks and won't get better, while his last season as the man was horrid. At least EJ still has a chance to become a good QB, with better coaching than the band of stiffs he was working with the past 2 years.

CleveSteve
02-27-2015, 02:05 PM
How Browns and Bills is it if this is true, that we are fighting over the right to sign Josh McCown. Ugh.

Mace
02-27-2015, 03:03 PM
How Browns and Bills is it if this is true, that we are fighting over the right to sign Josh McCown. Ugh.

And for 5 million bucks a year besides.