• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

Patriots locker room attendant tried to put unapproved ball into AFC final

Patriots locker room attendant tried to put unapproved ball into AFC final

A locker room attendant for the New England Patriots tried to introduce an unapproved special teams football into last month's AFC Championship Game, the same game at the center of the "Deflategate" allegations, four sources familiar with the investigation told "Outside the Lines."

One source said that the attendant assigned to the officials' locker room, identified as 48-year-old Jim McNally, has been interviewed by investigators for Ted Wells, the attorney the NFL hired last month to lead an investigation into allegations the Patriots intentionally used underinflated footballs on offensive plays in the first half of that game against the Indianapolis Colts, which New England won 45-7.

Before every NFL game, footballs are inspected and measured by NFL officials in their locker room before they can be approved for in-game use. The "K balls" are used for special teams, and not by the offenses of either team.

[+] Enlarge Outside The LinesJim McNally, highlighted in upper left, attempted to give an unapproved football to an alternate official who was in charge of the special-teams footballs for the AFC Championship Game.

NFL officials put a special mark or stamp on each ball approved for use on offensive possessions, as well as the "K balls" used on special teams, to ensure only properly inspected and approved footballs are used in that game. Walt Anderson, the referee for the AFC title game, had personally inspected and marked each of the footballs that were approved for use in that game.
    The alternate official, Greg Yette, became suspicious when he noticed that the football McNally handed him did not have the proper markings on it, three sources said. One of those sources added that Yette found it surprising that the officials' locker room attendant was on the field, trying to hand him a ball, because officials' locker room attendants don't typically have ballhandling responsibilities during NFL games.

Once McNally tried to introduce the unapproved football into the game, the source said, Yette notified the NFL's vice president of game operations, Mike Kensil, who was at the game in the press box.

- - - Updated - - -

This is Cra2y...
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Patriots locker room attendant tried to put unapproved ball into AFC final

The Colts must have told him to do it.

Comment

• Spartacus
      • Mar 2003

How fiendishly clever of the Pats!

"Hey, let's get the locker-room guy to run out on the field and give an UN MARKED kicking ball to a part-time ref! They'll NEVER notice in a millions years!"
      My tebya razdavim

Comment

• sukie
        Seriously?
        • Sep 2012

I think it's even more clever that a 10 buck an hour guy figured out how to help his team...

I can see it know... huge Pats fan... working official locker room duty since 2008 ... no action.... this rpobably wore on the guy still regretting never putting his extensive physics background to good use.

While taking a dump... "If I deflate the balls just enough so it might fall into what could be termed gas law (fart) natural fluxuation... then MY pats will find the balls easier to grip... less bounce off receivers hands.. (groan fart fart slight tinkle) This will work!!! It's physics!"

Of course he forgot the special K Balls... the hulking guy HAD to break protocol and sneak on the field and try a bit of swictheroo... GO PATS!
        Last edited by sukie; 02-18-2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

Those darn rogue attendants!

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Another accusation of cheating? That's so weird.

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

well the patsy has been id'ed publicly, which means the nfl is prepping the media to shift blame off BB and Brady and onto the hourly employee.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• sukie
                Seriously?
                • Sep 2012

That will be a hard sell... Some guy decides to hand Tom Brady underinflated balls this one game and Tom doesn't notice?

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

In 10 years, we'll find out this guy magically has a villa in Geneva.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                    That will be a hard sell... Some guy decides to hand Tom Brady underinflated balls this one game and Tom doesn't notice?
                    Come now. Tommy can't tell the difference...but he likes the balls at 12.5 PSI.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                      well the patsy has been id'ed publicly, which means the nfl is prepping the media to shift blame off BB and Brady and onto the hourly employee.
                      you kind of have to with the cheaters "winning" the superbowl. to give them a black eye in the investigation puts a whole season into doubt. though it already has been. Roger delivered the profits and he delivered the chaos. i think they should double his 44 to 88.

Comment

• Meathead
                        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                        • Jul 2002

jeez cold they be any more transparent

like it matters this one time what mcnally did. could be a bunch of explanations including simple mistake. doesnt even address the magic change in anti-fumblitis every cheatriot catches when they play there ever since the exact year they changed the rules the way marcia wanted them

total smokescreen. a hilariously flimsy smokescreen
                        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

this was a ball the guy tried to get into the kicking rotation not for the offense. The ref noticed the ball was not marked. Why did he do it? I don't know. You wouldn't want an underinflated kicking ball unless it was the other team kicking. But this isn't about the 12 game balls. They have an extra 6-8 kicking balls for each game. I have no idea why the league keeps leaking tid bits like this.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                            Skoobasaurus-Rex
                            • Oct 2011

Sounds like feelings are going to be hurt but they'll all end up blaming some useless underling.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                              Sounds like feelings are going to be hurt but they'll all end up blaming some useless underling.
                              Again this has nothing to do with deflated balls in the game. Nothing. a) it was a ball intended to be put into the kicking ball rotation b) it was not put into the rotation after the ref noticed it wasn't an approved ball

Comment

Working...
                              X