PDA

View Full Version : Official NFL Combine Thread

DraftBoy
02-20-2015, 05:51 AM
It's the time of the year again! It's combine time!

Players are already in Indy and works out have already started. Here are some early measurement results and thoughts from the guys at BBD.
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2015/02/2015-nfl-combine-notebook-day-2-olte-bench-press-qbrbwr-weigh-in/

While the on-field workouts have yet to begin at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine, the event is already well underway with interviews, medical evaluations, measurements and as of Thursday, the bench press.

The interviews and medicals might truly be the most important aspects of the combine as a whole, but those of us not employed by NFL teams receive little information on what happens behind closed doors. We can, however, utilize the measurements and workout results to see how the top prospects in the 2015 NFL Draft stack up against one another.

DraftBoy
02-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Here is the best site for all the results at every position (at least imo):
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02/2015-nfl-scouting-combine-results/

DraftBoy
02-20-2015, 06:15 AM
Based on the measurements here are some thoughts:
Hand size is a big deal to the NFL if you're a QB and anything under 9.5 hands is going to raise questions. So Connor Halliday, Sean Mannion, Nick Marshall, Blake Sims, and Jameis Winston all fail that test.

Winston coming in at 6'3, 231 raised some concerns. I think everybody saw the picture of him taken a few weeks ago where he clearly had developed a gut this reassures people that's gone. Winston played at close to 248 while at FSU this past season.

The biggest QB is Jerry Lovelocke from Prariew View A&M, 6'5, 248. Mannion is taller at 6'6, but he 19 pounds lighter than Lovelocke. If you don't know the name Lovelocke that's not surprising, he was a throwing invite to the combine. Which means he was invited as the guy to throw to the WR's, RB's, and TE's so the top name QB's can save their arms. Shane Carden and Bryan Bennett were also throwing invites.

The two top RB's, Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley, both came in at 6005 (6 feet and half an inch). Gordon weighed 215 lbs with Gurley at 222. It will be interesting to see what Gordon runs this weekend in the 40 along with the 3 cone and SS.

Two guys I want to watch this weekend are David Johnson (Northern Iowa) and Matt Jones (Florida). Johnson has been the hot name in recent weeks in Indy he came in at 6'1, 224, if he can throw down a sub 4.5 time watch out for his stock. Matt Jones was a highly regarded HS recruit who showed glimpses of talent at Florida but never really came into his own. If you saw him v. UGA this year though you know what kind of talent he has (25 carries, 192 yards, 2 TD's). He came in at 6'2, 231 and could be a nice fit with a solid time.

Amari Cooper came in a little below what I thought he would measure at 6'1, 211 but he did show 10 inch hands which is huge for a WR. WR's measurements don't do much for me but their results in the timed drills should be important. I want to see what guys like Mario Alford (WVU), Davaris Daniels (ND), Stefon Diggs (MD), and Devin Smith (Ohio St) all run.

Also the guy everybody is talking about this weekend is Dorial Green-Beckham (DGB). He didn't disappoint at weigh-in measuring at 6'5, 237 lbs. How he runs and interviews will be very important. He's a Top 10 talent that could be there in Round 2.

There are two TE's that I've decided I like a lot through watching them this year and talking to some friends and former colleagues of mine. That's Jeff Heuerman (Ohio State) and Jean Sifrin (UMass). Heuerman was both difficult and easy to spot at Ohio State this year, he didn't put up great number (17 receptions, 207 yards, 2 TD's) but he the guy you could find on nearly every single big rushing play Ohio State had taking on a DL, or LB and making a key block. Don't be shocked if he runs sub 4.7 this weekend and is the talk of the town. His ball catching ability was under utilized at Ohio State.

Sifrin is a guy you're just going to have to wait and see about. He's an older prospect (27 I think) but he's being called the next Gronk which I'm willing to bet is an overstatement.

Top 3 TE Bench Results:
1. Gerald Christian (Louisville) - 28
2. Jeff Heuerman (OSU) - 26
3. Jesse James (PSU) - 26

Ereck Flowers (Miami) was probably the most impressive OL from their measurements and workout. Flowers is 6'6, 329 lbs with 34.5 inch arms. He also repped 225 lbs 37 times which leads all players thus far. Traditionally players who have long arms struggle to get high rep counts on the bench press.

As it is with every year the three cone drill, SS, and on the field workouts will be the largest determining factors for the OL.

Night Train
02-20-2015, 06:34 AM
But can they play football on Sundays ?

So many Combine Kings are fools gold.

The Shrine,Senior Bowl practices showed me a lot and sent me back to game film.

The Combine to me is teams doing interviews and re-checking the medical concerns, if any. Little else.

My priority this off-season is OL. Nothing they do this weekend will make a bit of difference to me.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Ereck Flowers (Miami) was probably the most impressive OL from their measurements and workout.

Nope, can't do it. The name is too close and it brings back nightmares.

DraftBoy
02-20-2015, 09:17 AM
But can they play football on Sundays ?

So many Combine Kings are fools gold.

The Shrine,Senior Bowl practices showed me a lot and sent me back to game film.

The Combine to me is teams doing interviews and re-checking the medical concerns, if any. Little else.

My priority this off-season is OL. Nothing they do this weekend will make a bit of difference to me.

Killjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, can't do it. The name is too close and it brings back nightmares.

In Round 2? Sign me up all day, plug and play RT.

Buffalo Thriller
02-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Mitch Morse is looking good in drills right now.

stuckincincy
02-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Based on the measurements here are some thoughts: etc.

Thanks for keeping an eye on the combine for us. It is a help. :up:

Night Train
02-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Killjoy.

:D:

After watching the TE's today.

Nick O'Leary of Florida St. and Max Williams of Minnesota are miles ahead of the other TE's, IMO. That group is very below average. The former QB Blake Bell of Oklahoma looked very smooth for a 1 year TE.

Walford of Miami seems like a tease to me. Dropped several balls at the Senior Bowl practices and did again today.

A general observation watching the OL. So many of them moved well in the drills. I remember years where the group looked so stiff. I see lots of possibilities on draft weekend and that's good news for an OL needy team like the Bills.

DraftBoy
02-22-2015, 09:34 AM
Some additional thoughts based on results:
Brandon Bridge did exactly what you wanted yesterday. He clocked the #7 time among QB's running the 40 (4.72) and threw the ball well. His big arm was on display and his accuracy issues were still there as well. He's a Day 3 project but he's a guy who if you can give a couple of years to development could be a diamond in the rough. Some have made the comparison between him and Steve Air McNair. Bridge previously played at Alcorn State before transferring to South Alabama.

Also Brett Hundley did well yesterday and as a guy who may be there at 50 that's good news. The Bills could have Hundley fall into their laps and that could be a gift if he can get the Bills brass to believe he may be the long term answer. Hundley has lots of talent but struggles with consistency.

Here is a quick article talking about both Bridge and Hundley: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2015/02/21/combine-brett-hundley-bryce-petty-third-quarterback/23796447/

DraftBoy
02-22-2015, 09:39 AM
The OL group is impressive in the tackle department but I'm not sure I see much of the interior. It's also important to note that this is the worst possible evaluation event for interior OL.

At OT three guys stood out to me and that was Jake Fisher (Oregon), TJ Clemmings (Pitt), and Ali Marpet (Hobart). All three checked the size box (height and arm length) and posted numbers athletically that tell you they can stay outside. Fisher has an outstanding 3 cone drill (7.25) with Marpet (7.33) and Clemmings (7.68) not far behind. Marpet also ran a sub 4.5 40 coming in officially at 4.98 with the top 10 yard split. He also had a really good week at the Senior Bowl when moving inside to OG. He was listed as a OT for the combine.

Here are some notes from SBNation:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2015/1/22/7875231/senior-bowl-tcu-kevin-white-al-marpet

The Jokeman
02-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Some additional thoughts based on results:
Brandon Bridge did exactly what you wanted yesterday. He clocked the #7 time among QB's running the 40 (4.72) and threw the ball well. His big arm was on display and his accuracy issues were still there as well. He's a Day 3 project but he's a guy who if you can give a couple of years to development could be a diamond in the rough. Some have made the comparison between him and Steve Air McNair. Bridge previously played at Alcorn State before transferring to South Alabama.

Also Brett Hundley did well yesterday and as a guy who may be there at 50 that's good news. The Bills could have Hundley fall into their laps and that could be a gift if he can get the Bills brass to believe he may be the long term answer. Hundley has lots of talent but struggles with consistency.

Here is a quick article talking about both Bridge and Hundley: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2015/02/21/combine-brett-hundley-bryce-petty-third-quarterback/23796447/

I haven't seen Bridge play but judging by the stats I think he's a major work in progress. I mean he barely completed 50% of his passes (50.9 for his collegiate career) and his yards per attempt at 6.6 is rather subpar. Toss in a 40-27 TD:INT ratio is far from great. Sure he's got NFL measurables but man those stats are worrisome to me. http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=199654

In comparison McNair had 44 TD passes in his final season at Alcorn St. I know level of competition etc plays a part but the only reason that Bridge and McNair are in the same sentence as their ties to Alcorn State and that Bridge like McNair has great measurables. Yet McNair ended up being the 3rd overall pick in a draft and Bridge will likely be a 3rd day pick in a draft. It isn't to say that Bridge can't make it in the NFL but it's going to be an uphill climb for him.