PDA

View Full Version : thinking about our 2nd year O LINEMAN

djjimkelly
02-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Seantrel Henderson, cyrus Kouandjio, and cyril richardson. 3 rookies who are now in there 1st true offseason.

just listening to mike mayock on nfl network he just said about one prospect all the tools just needs 2 years to get strength up

all of the o lineman of ours will be much improved IMO yes one could remain a bust or become one

however these guys should be up to speed with their power and should all improve big time this season

Skooby
02-20-2015, 10:04 AM
2 of the 3 should be good, everything being equal.

DraftBoy
02-20-2015, 10:42 AM
I think you hope for the best and they improve but both Kujo and Richardson were large disappointments last year. Kujo barely saw the field and looked completely overmatched when he did. Richardson saw more action but didn't fair much better. At first we were thinking maybe we got two steals in the draft who could develop into dependable starters and now I think we're just hoping they become stable backups.

Henderson will be interesting to watch, he had a great first half of the year but seemed to struggle in the second half. He looked plain worn out by the end of the year and was getting beat consistently. He's the one I think you really focus on this offseason/camp.

stuckincincy
02-20-2015, 10:49 AM
I still maintain drafting 3 OLs with a mind to keep them all on the roster was risky. 3 rookies make for a big bite out of the OL complement.

DesertFox24
02-20-2015, 10:52 AM
I would love to see the Kyle Orton all the throws that used to be posted. I used to watch those to look at the OL, so hard to look at OL during the game live as you only really notice them when they get beat.

better days
02-20-2015, 11:16 AM
I still maintain drafting 3 OLs with a mind to keep them all on the roster was risky. 3 rookies make for a big bite out of the OL complement.

The upside is if two of the three develop, the OL should be good for a long period of time & at a relative low cost at that.

EDS
02-20-2015, 11:41 AM
Kujo was young enough that it was not hard to forecast him struggling. As he matures, you would expect he would gain more strength and also benefit from more repetitions. That said, he was incredibly bad for a 2nd round pick so he obviously has the most work to do of any lineman on the Bills roster, just to maintain a spot on the roster for the 2015 season.

Richardson, on the other hand, was older than the average rookie and did not suffer from a lack of strength. As a lower round pick it is not surprising he struggled. The question with him will be whether he can translate the game experience and pre-season work this year into improved performance. I doubt the Bills will be relying on him to start this season, but I bet they hope he improves enough to fill in if an injury occurs at the guard spot.

Henderson got lots of playing time last season but was not particularly good. Not surprising again, but with that experience more will be expected of him this season so he needs to show he can play if he wants to maintain his starting spot. Would not be surprising if the team brings in some stiff competition for him, so he still needs to keep working.

SpikedLemonade
02-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Kujo has bust written all over him and it will be due to his attitude.

He expected to be drafted in the 1st round and when he wasn't, he didn't suck it up to work hard to prove they were wrong.

If he maintains the same attitude, he will soon be out of football.

djjimkelly
02-20-2015, 12:00 PM
I think you hope for the best and they improve but both Kujo and Richardson were large disappointments last year. Kujo barely saw the field and looked completely overmatched when he did. Richardson saw more action but didn't fair much better. At first we were thinking maybe we got two steals in the draft who could develop into dependable starters and now I think we're just hoping they become stable backups.

Henderson will be interesting to watch, he had a great first half of the year but seemed to struggle in the second half. He looked plain worn out by the end of the year and was getting beat consistently. He's the one I think you really focus on this offseason/camp.

and what im getting both kujo and richardson should have nfl strength now im not saying their technique will be better but they shouldnt be over matched psychically this season

and 16 game schedule they have done it now they are supposed to be pros.

look ill be happy if one of the 3 end up being a legit starter for the next x number of years

better days
02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
and what im getting both kujo and richardson should have nfl strength now im not saying their technique will be better but they shouldnt be over matched psychically this season

and 16 game schedule they have done it now they are supposed to be pros.

look ill be happy if one of the 3 end up being a legit starter for the next x number of years

Well, they may have better technique next year as well.

I read that Rex Ryan's Coaching staff is one of the largest in the entire NFL & there is a lot of experience on it.

stuckincincy
02-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Well, they may have better technique next year as well.

I read that Rex Ryan's Coaching staff is one of the largest in the entire NFL & there is a lot of experience on it.

Great. That sound like a contemporary school system - the $ goes to overhead and the wallets of administration and to the union teachers, first of all.

Dr. Who
02-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Great. That sound like a contemporary school system - the $ goes to overhead and the wallets of administration and to the union teachers, first of all.

Really? Because admin and union teachers is a way for the incompetent (along with a few who are, of course) to sift off a large amount of available wealth.
In this case, we have presumably competent teachers hired for their expertise who will be directly involved in teaching. Hiring more teachers who teach means "smaller" classrooms which usually means better results.

The analogy of "too many cooks" is more relevant, though one presumes that if there is a cohesive philosophy, the increase in expertise will merit better results than a team that lacks the same number of qualified coaches.

better days
02-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Really? Because admin and union teachers is a way for the incompetent (along with a few who are, of course) to sift off a large amount of available wealth.
In this case, we have presumably competent teachers hired for their expertise who will be directly involved in teaching. Hiring more teachers who teach means "smaller" classrooms which usually means better results.

The analogy of "too many cooks" is more relevant, though one presumes that if there is a cohesive philosophy, the increase in expertise will merit better results than a team that lacks the same number of qualified coaches.

Agreed, when you have a number of different Coaches, they have to be on the same page, teaching the same thing.

I heard that Marrone liked to get involved with the OL Coaching & that he taught different techniques than his OL Coaches did last year.

That could be the reason the OL took a step back aside from lack of talent.

The article I read about Ryan's staff called it an all star staff, but he has some young guys on it as assistants as well, such as Bobby April Jr Coaching LB's.

Albany,n.y.
02-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Kujo needs to improve just to be called a bust.

stuckincincy
02-20-2015, 03:06 PM

Bull. Cries for smaller classes is a tool to increase union employment. I was educated in the "baby boomer" generation. I did not suffer a whit by being in 40+ classrooms, and like any kid, I not only did not want to be singled out for "individual" attention, I joined the whole class in avoiding it.

Smell today's coffee - children aren't students, they are merely head counts, economic units to be manipulated to maximize federal/state/local funding to feed the staff. You should pay attention to the internecine fights waged by school jurisdictions hot after that almighty buck to put into their pockets and insure their golden retirements...

Ed
02-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Considering that all of our O-linemen seemed to regress under Marrone, it will be interesting to see if the young guys can take some significant steps forward with new coaching. There definitely seems to be talent to work with and it feels like we upgraded at OC and OL coach, so who knows. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

If the Bills make a significant free agent signing for the OL, they may not bother drafting anyone else. I think they'd have a pretty good mix of vets and youth. It seems impossible to get through a season without having any injuries on the OL, so there's probably a good chance that Kouandjio and/or Richardson will some time this year.

YardRat
02-20-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm hoping some competent coaching, which we obviously didn't have last season, will make a difference.

Mace
02-20-2015, 05:38 PM
I still heartily and loudly blame Marrone and Pat Morris for last season, not the players. 4 of 5 ended up being starters like they were under D'Alessandris, 2 of those 4 out of normal position, leaving Wood with mismatched people either side.

Claiming they intended to make the future now by mortgaging it on Manuel & Watkins makes it look worse. The future is now, except with that zany o-line we need to dork around with, by running behemoth rookies across the field for their assignments and misplacing a couple vets to keep it interesting.

stuckincincy
02-20-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm hoping some competent coaching, which we obviously didn't have last season, will make a difference.

I hope so too. But I'd need the help of an Ouija board to try to figure how it was possible that a team over so many years, over so many coaches, couldn't hit on an OL combination that would last more than a year.

You would think that plain 'ol dumb luck would have been out there for them to trip over. :(

tonyc37
02-21-2015, 06:16 AM
You have to remember Kujo has only playing football for around four years now so he should have a higher ceiling than the others.

Dr. Who
02-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Bull. Cries for smaller classes is a tool to increase union employment. I was educated in the "baby boomer" generation. I did not suffer a whit by being in 40+ classrooms, and like any kid, I not only did not want to be singled out for "individual" attention, I joined the whole class in avoiding it.

Smell today's coffee - children aren't students, they are merely head counts, economic units to be manipulated to maximize federal/state/local funding to feed the staff. You should pay attention to the internecine fights waged by school jurisdictions hot after that almighty buck to put into their pockets and insure their golden retirements...

Okay. Let me clarify for you.
I have a PhD and have spent time teaching.
I am certain that the best scenario is for private attention given to a gifted student. This is why in the past wealthy aristocrats hired private tutors for their children.

In a democratic setting, with modern education, the aim and methods were and are different.
I am well aware that the bureaucracy surrounding education is a con. I actually despise what passes for education today.
In grad school, the people who went into education were almost invariably the dim bulbs.
In my opinion, the basic understanding of what education is and the nature of contemporary curriculum is deeply, deeply flawed.

So, I was not making a brief to defend modern education. I think it is just as corrupt as you say.
I was merely trying to show that the metaphor is not apt and I tried to show why.

Night Train
02-21-2015, 08:56 AM
I need to see more of Richardson. He showed the ability to bury people in the running game at Baylor but the observation going forward towards 2015 will be his footwork.

Kujo gets one shot at OG, with no footwork at all to play OT. He's looking like a bust right now but one more shot.

Henderson ran out of gas but the natural talent is there. He deserves major props for stepping into the starting lineup immediately. Fitness and conditioning are key for him. A positive.

Buckets
02-21-2015, 10:00 AM

All I can say is.. WOW!!!

ParanoidAndroid
02-21-2015, 10:39 AM

Start thread in the spin zone.

Mr. Miyagi
02-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Kujo has bust written all over him and it will be due to his attitude.

He expected to be drafted in the 1st round and when he wasn't, he didn't suck it up to work hard to prove they were wrong.

If he maintains the same attitude, he will soon be out of football.
And you know this because what, you're his psychiatrist?

swiper
02-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Start thread in the spin zone.

So people can pummel him for his arcane pov.

Mace
02-21-2015, 05:39 PM
I need to see more of Richardson. He showed the ability to bury people in the running game at Baylor but the observation going forward towards 2015 will be his footwork.

Kujo gets one shot at OG, with no footwork at all to play OT. He's looking like a bust right now but one more shot.

Henderson ran out of gas but the natural talent is there. He deserves major props for stepping into the starting lineup immediately. Fitness and conditioning are key for him. A positive.

I think besides the obvious benefits of removing Marrone/Morris from their training, they'll all benefit from a run based offense. Always been traditionally easier to break in new linemen on the run game, so of course the Bills threw them into a 36 pass attempts/25 rush per game setup (615 pass attempts/402 rushes on the season).

I can't really count any one of them out until they flop under better offensive coaching, and it's hard to imagine Roman/Kromer can't do better using and training them. Roman likes a power blocking scheme not zone, and those guys seem much better suited for it.

ParanoidAndroid
02-21-2015, 10:10 PM
So people can pummel him for his arcane pov.

Exactly what I was looking forward to doing...