PDA

View Full Version : Saints to cut OG Grubbs and Evans?

casdhf
02-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Would really hard to pass these guys up ... but do they have the smash mouth style we are looking for?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473504/article/report-saints-could-cut-pro-bowl-guard-jahri-evans

elltrain22
02-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Evans is a pro bowl OG when he's healthy, and Grubbs is in the prime of his career. If they get released we should def' take a long hard look.

YardRat
02-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Grubbs is 30 and Evans is 31, not really keen on bringing in guys headed toward the end, but if I had to choose one or the other it would be Grubbs, he's more of a power guy than Evans IMO.

Night Train
02-23-2015, 02:31 PM
More choices in various positions of need to take the pressure off the draft.

better days
02-23-2015, 02:37 PM
More choices in various positions of need to take the pressure off the draft.

And Whaley has said he would prefer to go into the draft with all the teams needs met so he could draft the best player available regardless of position.

YardRat
02-23-2015, 02:39 PM
And Whaley has said he would prefer to go into the draft with all the teams needs met so he could draft the best player available regardless of position.

I don't think that's possible. Too many holes to fill. Now, if they had hired a different HC and been able to retain Schwartz it would have been much more feasible.

better days
02-23-2015, 02:45 PM
I don't think that's possible. Too many holes to fill. Now, if they had hired a different HC and been able to retain Schwartz it would have been much more feasible.

How so?

I don't think there is anyone on the Bills defense that won't be a fit in Ryan's scheme.

MANY of them played in that same scheme under Pettine.

YardRat
02-23-2015, 03:12 PM
How so?

I don't think there is anyone on the Bills defense that won't be a fit in Ryan's scheme.

MANY of them played in that same scheme under Pettine.

Yeah, that's the problem IMO, moreso under Ryan because his reads/calls are more complicated than Pettine or Schwartz and players that don't fit the position. No NT (KW isn't that guy, even though he played it under Pettine), one DE (Dareus, but no Carrington or Branch on this roster), light at LBer if Hughes and Spikes don't return, and probably another corner (McKelvin struggled under Pettine, not Schwartz, although to be honest I haven't figured out why yet because they both liked man press on the outside).

The defense was set (as was special teams) and the only squad that needed to be addressed was the offense...now the defense is short on fit also, especially on the line.

tomz
02-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Yeah, that's the problem IMO, moreso under Ryan because his reads/calls are more complicated than Pettine or Schwartz and players that don't fit the position. No NT (KW isn't that guy, even though he played it under Pettine), one DE (Dareus, but no Carrington or Branch on this roster), light at LBer if Hughes and Spikes don't return, and probably another corner (McKelvin struggled under Pettine, not Schwartz, although to be honest I haven't figured out why yet because they both liked man press on the outside).

The defense was set (as was special teams) and the only squad that needed to be addressed was the offense...now the defense is short on fit also, especially on the line.

I think the explanation is the DB coach. There was a thing on the Bills' site that discussed how Leodis was coached up in the last year to improve on looking back for the ball when in coverage.

jimmifli
02-23-2015, 03:54 PM
McLovin has played progressively better for the last 3 years. He finally "figured it out", he'll be fine under any system.

The Jokeman
02-23-2015, 04:53 PM

Carrington and Branch are set to be UFAs. So we could actually either one of them as needed or we could even pursue a guy like Jarvis Jenkins to man the DE we lack. Of course I'd expect Hughes would get more snaps in 2015 then he did in 2013 as think he's shown he's a more complete player last year. As right now I see our current front seven as "RDE" Player X (Stefan Charles might get the first crack) NT Marcell Dareus "LDE/DT" Kyle Williams. ROLB Hughes/Bradham/Lawson ILB Brown ILB Kiko "WOLB" Mario Williams.

YardRat
02-23-2015, 05:54 PM
I think the explanation is the DB coach. There was a thing on the Bills' site that discussed how Leodis was coached up in the last year to improve on looking back for the ball when in coverage.

McLovin has played progressively better for the last 3 years. He finally "figured it out", he'll be fine under any system.

I hope you both are right. Yeah, he has been on an upward curve and coaching certainly could be the key.

YardRat
02-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Carrington and Branch are set to be UFAs. So we could actually either one of them as needed or we could even pursue a guy like Jarvis Jenkins to man the DE we lack. Of course I'd expect Hughes would get more snaps in 2015 then he did in 2013 as think he's shown he's a more complete player last year. As right now I see our current front seven as "RDE" Player X (Stefan Charles might get the first crack) NT Marcell Dareus "LDE/DT" Kyle Williams. ROLB Hughes/Bradham/Lawson ILB Brown ILB Kiko "WOLB" Mario Williams.

Yeah, I'm not saying we can't bring somebody in, but a different direction by th front office and we wouldn't have to and could concentrate almost exclusively on improving the offense.