PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Dez Bryant "Ray Rice-style" video coming out

Mr. Miyagi
02-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Dez Bryant’s entire NFL career could be in jeopardy if the video he allegedly appears in is as bad as it sounds. The clip of Bryant doing something ‘Ray Rice-worthy’ that has reportedly stalled his contract negations with the Dallas Cowboys, is set for an imminent release.

If this thing exists, he's done for in this day and age.

http://seattle.suntimes.com/nfl/7/72/695824/dez-bryant-video-released

Night Train
02-25-2015, 03:08 AM
I heard there's goats, midgets, nuns and a large rye bread.

swiper
02-25-2015, 03:43 AM
Nothing surprising anymore.

DraftBoy
02-25-2015, 04:30 AM
I heard there's goats, midgets, nuns and a large rye bread.

If it involves midgets then Lecter is going to be in there somewhere.

Skooby
02-25-2015, 04:56 AM
Who knows if it's simply a fleecing of Dez or reality.

Historian
02-25-2015, 06:08 AM
Sorry, I will not believe it until Skooby verifies it with his sources!

Night Train
02-25-2015, 06:24 AM

He's having a cafe latte with Pat Moran and Joe Logan.

Forward_Lateral
02-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Hopefully it's bogus. I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone, but Dez is one of the best players in the NFL, and the NFL has had enough black eyes this past season. Doesn't need anymore.

My guess is it's someone trying to extort money from Dez

stuckincincy
02-25-2015, 08:04 AM
Send in the clowns... :chuckle:

Members of Congress to Goodell: Dock draft picks for domestic violence
By Jared Dubin | CBSSports.com staff February 24, 2015 2:49 pm ET

"According to the Associated Press, Senator Brian Schatz of Hawaii and Representative Jackie Speier of California recently wrote a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in which they asked him to clarify whether teams can lose draft picks if they do not properly address domestic violence."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25080192/members-of-congress-to-goodell-dock-draft-picks-for-domestic-violence

OpIv37
02-25-2015, 08:26 AM
I
Send in the clowns... :chuckle:

Members of Congress to Goodell: Dock draft picks for domestic violence
By Jared Dubin | CBSSports.com staff February 24, 2015 2:49 pm ET

"According to the Associated Press, Senator Brian Schatz of Hawaii and Representative Jackie Speier of California recently wrote a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in which they asked him to clarify whether teams can lose draft picks if they do not properly address domestic violence."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25080192/members-of-congress-to-goodell-dock-draft-picks-for-domestic-violence

That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. First, it punishes the entire team and their fans for the actions of one individual. Second, when guys commit domestic violence, they are angry and irrational. They are not going to pull their hand back to hit a chick and suddenly think "wait a minute, if I do this we will lose a draft pick" because they are not in that frame of mind.
It punishes the wrong people and is not an effective deterrent.

And they are trying to put it back on the team when discipline for these offenses has always been handled at the league level.

Skooby
02-25-2015, 08:51 AM

I think it's a fleecing but haven't heard anything about this really.

Mr. Miyagi
02-25-2015, 09:19 AM
I

That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. First, it punishes the entire team and their fans for the actions of one individual. Second, when guys commit domestic violence, they are angry and irrational. They are not going to pull their hand back to hit a chick and suddenly think "wait a minute, if I do this we will lose a draft pick" because they are not in that frame of mind.

And they are trying to put it back on the team when discipline for these offenses has always been handled at the league level.
They're trying to make the teams accountable for drafting players without character concerns. The trouble is, it's not easy to tell who is going to go off. Ray Rice seemed like a good dude for a few years until he decked the girl.

OpIv37
02-25-2015, 09:32 AM
They're trying to make the teams accountable for drafting players without character concerns. The trouble is, it's not easy to tell who is going to go off. Ray Rice seemed like a good dude for a few years until he decked the girl.
And there are also guys who have "character concerns" in college that never get in trouble in the NFL. It's holding teams accountable for something they have little to no control over, and possibly costing someone a million dollar career for doing something dumb when they were 21 or younger (not to mention some of those guys could make the league millions....).

This is nothing but a PR move, so these congressmen and the league can show the public that they are tough on domestic violence. It will have no effect whatsoever on the amount of domestic violence.

ghz in pittsburgh
02-25-2015, 09:41 AM
I don't know. The league's goal is clearly trying to weed out all of these shady characters that tarnish the image to sponsors. Since they can not out right target individuals, the are trying to force employers not hiring them, i.e. the bahvior of these individuals are tied to the punishmenet of their direct employers.

Mr. Miyagi
02-25-2015, 09:53 AM
And there are also guys who have "character concerns" in college that never get in trouble in the NFL. It's holding teams accountable for something they have little to no control over, and possibly costing someone a million dollar career for doing something dumb when they were 21 or younger (not to mention some of those guys could make the league millions....).

This is nothing but a PR move, so these congressmen and the league can show the public that they are tough on domestic violence. It will have no effect whatsoever on the amount of domestic violence.
The government should first of all stay out of the way of this. How is this a Congress issue? They have real issues that they need to spend time on.

Secondly, I agree punishing the team is way off the mark. Imagine the company you work for gets fined a million dollars when Bob from Accounting went stupid and got a DUI over the weekend. How could the company know Bob was going to be so stupid? The best they can do is discipline Bob after the fact. It's not the company's fault.

DraftBoy
02-25-2015, 09:57 AM
The government should first of all stay out of the way of this. How is this a Congress issue? They have real issues that they need to spend time on.

Secondly, I agree punishing the team is way off the mark. Imagine the company you work for gets fined a million dollars when Bob from Accounting went stupid and got a DUI over the weekend. How could the company know Bob was going to be so stupid? The best they can do is discipline Bob after the fact. It's not the company's fault.

Congress has control due to the tax exempt status.

I dont agree with their stance at all, but they do have a very influential piece to control the NFL with, if they could ever all agree on anything.

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2015, 10:34 AM
I

I don't see it as a bad idea at all. But how I read it was, teams would lose draft picks, the the teams don't "properly address domestic violence and sexual assault". To me that means, if a team knows its superstar athlete or coach abuses someone and the team knows about it and does nothing, they would lose draft picks. What is wrong with that?

Historian
02-25-2015, 10:57 AM
I

They are not going to pull their hand back to hit a chick and suddenly think "wait a minute, if I do this we will lose a draft pick"

Pretty funny if you think of it in those terms, lol.

Historian
02-25-2015, 10:57 AM
And there are also guys who have "character concerns" in college that never get in trouble in the NFL. .

Eric Moulds.

EricStratton
02-25-2015, 11:04 AM
I don't see it as a bad idea at all. But how I read it was, teams would lose draft picks, the the teams don't "properly address domestic violence and sexual assault". To me that means, if a team knows its superstar athlete or coach abuses someone and the team knows about it and does nothing, they would lose draft picks. What is wrong with that?

That was my thought as well.

If teams are willfully turning a blind eye to violence then they should be held accountable.

Fines and draft picks are the only way to do that.

jpdex12
02-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Why not threaten to cut Goodell's salary each time a domestic violence act occurs by a member of the league? Pitch Goodell against the team owners and watch them improve this problem. If he knows his salary/livelihood is on the line he'll crack down on the owners to police her employees. If the owners know they'll have to contend with this or any future commissioner with this repercussion to deal with they'll keep each other in check. Only other option is to use a two strike rule. Punishment on the first offense, kicked out of the league on the second.

DraftBoy
02-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Why not threaten to cut Goodell's salary each time a domestic violence act occurs by a member of the league? Pitch Goodell against the team owners and watch them improve this problem. If he knows his salary/livelihood is on the line he'll crack down on the owners to police her employees. If the owners know they'll have to contend with this or any future commissioner with this repercussion to deal with they'll keep each other in check. Only other option is to use a two strike rule. Punishment on the first offense, kicked out of the league on the second.

Whose going to threaten that though? His bosses are the owners. The owners are also the ones employing the player who has committed domestic violence.

DraftBoy
02-25-2015, 01:09 PM
That was my thought as well.

If teams are willfully turning a blind eye to violence then they should be held accountable.

Fines and draft picks are the only way to do that.

Is that possible to prove though?

We can't even figure out who deflated a football, do you really thing we'll be able to figure when/if a team knew that a player was hitting a woman or child and did nothing about it?

That's my question.

EricStratton
02-25-2015, 01:30 PM

We can't even figure out who deflated a football, do you really thing we'll be able to figure when/if a team knew that a player was hitting a woman or child and did nothing about it?

That's my question.

I never said it would be easy. It's a great question that most likely doesn't have an answer. In cases like Ray Rice where it appears the team actively tried to intervene before this could reach even the AC law enforcement personnel maybe there is a paper trail but like anything else it if there is a rule in place teams will easily figure out ways around it with the NFL's blessing to protect the shield.

casdhf
02-25-2015, 01:31 PM
I remember the days when players only drove drunk and killed people. Those were the days. Why were there no DWI commercials?

DesertFox24
02-25-2015, 01:35 PM

That's my question.
What they can do is the NFL can see how a team punishes a player individually, and based on that punishment can increase the punishment to said player. Additionally, if they do a two game for a Rice type offense the NFL should have the leverage to say you know what ravens that was weak say good bye to these draft picks or you are docked X amount from the cap.

Skooby
02-25-2015, 02:23 PM
I remember the days when players only drove drunk and killed people. Those were the days. Why were there no DWI commercials?

You must of not had the pleasure of the Pat Summerall community service video on drinking and driving, he literally was never sober on the road.

Lexwhat
02-25-2015, 05:06 PM

Yes it's a PR move, but doesn't mean the rules shouldn't still be applied.

Here's a thought: The moment players sign a contract with an NFL team, have them sign an explicit agreement stating that certain infractions (domestic violence, DUIs, drug use) would result in a lengthy suspension (1 year) the first time, and a lifetime suspension from the NFL for the second infarction. Put it in plain words and give them a copy of their own agreement with their signature on it. Build this into every single NFL contract retrospectively and start on an even slate for everyone in the league. Do the same for all future players. There is nothing better than a uniform, consistent set of rules that applies evenly to everyone. Playing in the NFL should be a privilege.

Next, tell NFL teams that they will lose (for example) a 4th round pick for any player banished for a second infarction. This will keep teams on active alert, likely resulting in behavioral interventions for all players from the start of their rookie season (behavioral programs like this exist in the NFL, but IMO, they are haphazard and applied unevenly since the NFL disciplinary rules are inconsistent, and sometimes arbitrary).

TacklingDummy
02-25-2015, 05:51 PM
If it involves midgets then Lecter is going to be in there somewhere.
You and Lectors sex tape coming out?

YardRat
02-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Why just professional football? Shouldn't something like this apply to all professional sports and collegiate programs?

Skooby
02-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Why just professional football? Shouldn't something like this apply to all professional sports and collegiate programs?

Look at Penn State, who was protecting the children there ??

DraftBoy
02-26-2015, 03:59 AM
What they can do is the NFL can see how a team punishes a player individually, and based on that punishment can increase the punishment to said player. Additionally, if they do a two game for a Rice type offense the NFL should have the leverage to say you know what ravens that was weak say good bye to these draft picks or you are docked X amount from the cap.

Same paradox exist. Goodell works for the team owners.

- - - Updated - - -

You and Lectors sex tape coming out?

Don't worry we got your pre-order for a dozen copies. A little odd to need that many but whatever floats your boat.

DraftBoy
02-26-2015, 04:00 AM

Not everybody views this the same way.

Same thing was asked about steroids and PED's when baseball was going through its juicing era. MLB has congressional hearings whereas the NFL was part of I think one joint hearing with other leagues.

TacklingDummy
02-26-2015, 06:35 AM
Don't worry we got your pre-order for a dozen copies. A little odd to need that many but whatever floats your boat.
Can you please send me one in VHS, Bluray, audio, and 3D formats? Thanks

DraftBoy
02-26-2015, 08:37 AM
Can you please send me one in VHS, Bluray, audio, and 3D formats? Thanks

Audio only? Kinky.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Yes it's a PR move, but doesn't mean the rules shouldn't still be applied.

Here's a thought: The moment players sign a contract with an NFL team, have them sign an explicit agreement stating that certain infractions (domestic violence, DUIs, drug use) would result in a lengthy suspension (1 year) the first time, and a lifetime suspension from the NFL for the second infarction. Put it in plain words and give them a copy of their own agreement with their signature on it. Build this into every single NFL contract retrospectively and start on an even slate for everyone in the league. Do the same for all future players. There is nothing better than a uniform, consistent set of rules that applies evenly to everyone. Playing in the NFL should be a privilege.

Next, tell NFL teams that they will lose (for example) a 4th round pick for any player banished for a second infarction. This will keep teams on active alert, likely resulting in behavioral interventions for all players from the start of their rookie season (behavioral programs like this exist in the NFL, but IMO, they are haphazard and applied unevenly since the NFL disciplinary rules are inconsistent, and sometimes arbitrary).

How many picks should we forfeit for OJ?

DraftBoy
02-26-2015, 11:27 AM
How many picks should we forfeit for OJ?

If we're giving up picks for a guy who got acquitted then the Panthers and Pats may want to close up shop after the Rae Carruth/Aaron Hernandez situations.

Downinfloflo
02-26-2015, 11:33 AM
I sure hope this don't go back to the incident with his Mother..

better days
02-26-2015, 11:41 AM
I sure hope this don't go back to the incident with his Mother..

From what I have been reading, it involves his girlfriend being pulled from her car.

Speculation is the Cowboys are trying to damage Bryant's reputation to reduce his value.

Downinfloflo
02-26-2015, 12:24 PM
From what I have been reading, it involves his girlfriend being pulled from her car.

Speculation is the Cowboys are trying to damage Bryant's reputation to reduce his value.

Well, If they wanted to do that, They could just give him 50k and send him to Vegas.

Be much easier...

IlluminatusUIUC
02-26-2015, 12:37 PM
If we're giving up picks for a guy who got acquitted then the Panthers and Pats may want to close up shop after the Rae Carruth/Aaron Hernandez situations.

Er, OJ is in prison as we speak.

tomz
02-26-2015, 02:24 PM

Minor detail but OJ's thing happened more than a decade after he retired FROM THE 49ers! Or does NFL stand for 'Nanny for Life'?

Of course he is in prison for a different, even later offense.

But this does bring up a point: hypothetically, if OJ had been accused during his career, how does the league handle it? It is not due process to consider him guilty until proven so, there is no tape of him doing anything and he was ultimately acquitted (no comment on the merits of that). Frankly, a suspension based on merely being arrested appears to be a denial of due process. This really creates some heavy questions for the NFL in these cases. So what standard should be applied? It will be interesting to watch.

Skooby
02-26-2015, 04:19 PM
Minor detail but OJ's thing happened more than a decade after he retired FROM THE 49ers! Or does NFL stand for 'Nanny for Life'?

Of course he is in prison for a different, even later offense.

But this does bring up a point: hypothetically, if OJ had been accused during his career, how does the league handle it? It is not due process to consider him guilty until proven so, there is no tape of him doing anything and he was ultimately acquitted (no comment on the merits of that). Frankly, a suspension based on merely being arrested appears to be a denial of due process. This really creates some heavy questions for the NFL in these cases. So what standard should be applied? It will be interesting to watch.

He beat women up & loaded up with Cocaine when he played, everybody did it & it was a different time.

YardRat
02-26-2015, 05:23 PM
A half-hour primer in a meeting room at the beginning of training camp every season with a PSA film on domestic violence and a list of private counselors available if they feel the need handed out to all of the players and every team in the league has their ass covered.

DraftBoy
02-26-2015, 05:45 PM

Yea but not for what everybody thinks of.

Night Train
02-28-2015, 08:49 AM
Well...where is it ?

GvilleBills
03-02-2015, 02:56 PM
With Fez getting tagged today, and still no video, I'd say this is a non-story.

grifter861
03-03-2015, 05:21 AM
Some one who read it all the way. I agree its not so bad like that, but what "properly addressed is" needs to be clearly defined.

I also agree with the other posters this is more of a PR move though.

CleveSteve
03-03-2015, 09:13 AM
So do the Cowboys have to add the money they paid to keep the video out of sight to the cap or nah?