Just a thought, but if the 49ers were to move on from Frank Gore, could he be a Bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Just a thought, but if the 49ers were to move on from Frank Gore, could he be a Bill?

This is all assuming they do cut Gore (I've seen rumors circulating that its a possibility - maybe not likely but might happen), but does Roman push to pick up Gore? Would he even be worth it?

I think hes actually a pretty similar back to Freddie, so it might not be worth it, plus he doesnt have much tread left on his tires. Just saw an article speculating that the Niners revamp their offense and thought it might be an interesting move.

• EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: Just a thought, but if the 49ers were to move on from Frank Gore, could he be a B

The results from aging free agent running backs with lots of miles on their bodies are not encouraging.

Comment

• Jaybird
      • Dec 2005

Re: Just a thought, but if the 49ers were to move on from Frank Gore, could he be a B

We already have Fred, don't news another aging back

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

I posted about this before.

And yes Gore is aging, but like Fred he can still be productive.

Would be a good pick up at the right price IMO.

Comment

• Lucidvizion
          Surfing on the Edge of Infinity
          • Feb 2005

We'll be the NFL's running back nursing home. They can have matching buffalo blue wheelchairs.

We could pick up Ronnie Brown too.
          Last edited by Lucidvizion; 02-27-2015, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

RB's are too easy to find. Spending big money on an aging FA RB just doesn't make sense.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

I'd like somebody from the draft, that's young.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                Pinkerton's son
                • Feb 2006

We could hope they make a mistake and cut Hyde instead? lol.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
                  We could hope they make a mistake and cut Hyde instead? lol.
                  Heh, you never know. The Broncos accidentally cut Dumerville a few years back.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

frankly im not even sure they keep freddie

if they sign hughes, the bills cap will be clearly unbalanced along the roster, they have to make that up somewhere. spillers contract is the most obvious candidate, which is why he is virtually guaranteed to be gone. freddies leadership is very valuable, and he was miraculously still highly productive last season. but hes got the salary of a veteran and his clock is going to strike twelve any day now. so hes another prime candidate for release consideration if/when something comes up where they have to consider cap ramifications (which is often)

with the emergence of plug-and-play rbs in the nfl it doesnt make much sense to pay aging rbs. freddie has the advantage of being firmly entrenched as a warrior and vital team leader, but when you could get 2-3 young guys at his position full of burst and energy for his salary you have to consider it
                    Last edited by Meathead; 02-27-2015, 08:58 AM.
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                      frankly im not even sure they keep freddie
                      Freddie so much reminds me of Robb Riddick in the 80's.

Rare physical specimen...team leader...been a member through most of the down years...but still produces.

Riddick was on special teams in 1987 (his 7th year) and was blocking punts. He had a game at RB in 1988 in Seattle, where even Chuck Knox came out to congratulate him after the game.

Fred is a lot like that. I think it would have to be someone really talented to bump him from the roster.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

A lot of miles on those tires. Freddie is old but he's only been to the shop a few times… Gore has been abused for nearly a decade.
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                          Making Spirits Bright
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                          I think it would have to be someone really talented to bump him from the roster.

Just my 2 cents.
                          I agree, I can't see the Bills cutting Freddie, especially with Rex as the new coach. He's seems like the type of guy that Rex wants playing for him.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                            I agree, I can't see the Bills cutting Freddie, especially with Rex as the new coach. He's seems like the type of guy that Rex wants playing for him.
                            Nor can I. He isn't expensive, he played well enough last season, Spiller is probably gone. Cutting him - if that's what makes sense - makes no sense until the end of the pre-season. Unless they are worried about some other team plucking a promising player as the roster reductions work out. But jeeze, when was the last time another club plucked a BUF player?
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                              Freddie so much reminds me of Robb Riddick in the 80's.

Rare physical specimen...team leader...been a member through most of the down years...but still produces.

Riddick was on special teams in 1987 (his 7th year) and was blocking punts. He had a game at RB in 1988 in Seattle, where even Chuck Knox came out to congratulate him after the game.

Fred is a lot like that. I think it would have to be someone really talented to bump him from the roster.

Just my 2 cents.
                              I met Robb Riddick at Sunset Bay just before the start of TC his rookie year.

Like Fred, Robb is a great guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X