PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents on the QB front - Work a trade For Nick Foles or Drew Stanton

Night Train
02-28-2015, 07:16 AM
Not making them out to be anything more than a decent option for a couple years until the next idea comes along... but at least these 2 can step under Center and look like they actually know what they are doing. They have poise, which the rest don't seem to have.

Then seriously work on the OL this off-season to keep them healthy.

Foles 6-5 244 - Eagles OL fell apart last season and he got hurt. The year before, 27 TD's, 2 Int's with a top running game.

Stanton 6-3 243 - Orton 2.0 with a better arm and much better footwork.

http://www.nfl.com/player/drewstanton/2495748/profile

I just can't wrap my head around just signing Sanchez and having him battle Manuel.

We'll see. I'm open minded and just expressing some confidence in these 2. Don't know the asking price.

jpdex12
02-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Not making them out to be anything more than a decent option for a couple years until the next idea comes along... but at least these 2 can step under Center and look like they actually know what they are doing. They have poise, which the rest don't seem to have.

Foles 6-5 244 - Eagles OL fell apart last season and he got hurt. The year before, 27 TD's, 2 Int's with a top running game.

I just can't wrap my head around just signing Sanchez and having him battle Manuel.

We'll see. I'm open minded and just expressing some confidence in these 2. Don't know the asking price.

probably the best options available but will take some draft picks to get it done.

The Jokeman
02-28-2015, 09:11 AM

I can't see the Cardinals trading Stanton as Palmer is an injury risk and they showed they can't win with Lindley. I'm not sure if the media is connecting dots with the Mariotta/Chip Kelly thing but if the Eagles truly do want to drop Foles I'd be all for getting him in Buffalo. As to me he the best option out there and think it wouldn't cost a king's ransome to get him.

swiper
02-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Would think either of those two would be good options considering the rest of the market.

WagonCircler
02-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Since I don't think Bradford is a possibility, I'm currently in the Foles camp.

YardRat
02-28-2015, 10:58 AM
I really don't want to expend any more assets on acquiring a QB...pick up the best you can in FA, and another in the draft, and roll with that for this season. Unless either one comes really cheap, then I would consider it. I honestly don't think they are going to bring anybody to seriously compete with EJ for the starting job, and are just looking for somebody for this season they can plug in if he crashes and burns again.

Skooby
02-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Foles would be a wet dream if he plays like he did a few years ago, we'd be playoff bound for sure if he did.

kscdogbillsfan1221
02-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Since I don't think Bradford is a possibility, I'm currently in the Foles camp.

With you completely. But partially against Bradford anyway since his vagina is made of glass

Night Train
02-28-2015, 04:48 PM
I really don't want to expend any more assets on acquiring a QB...pick up the best you can in FA, and another in the draft, and roll with that for this season. Unless either one comes really cheap, then I would consider it. I honestly don't think they are going to bring anybody to seriously compete with EJ for the starting job, and are just looking for somebody for this season they can plug in if he crashes and burns again.

Think Rex and what he went through in NY with QB's.

I don't think settling for scraps at QB is something he'd be happy with in his 2nd and last chance at HC. Can't blame him.

The draft ? Beyond the top 2 who will be gone in the first hour of the draft, name one that's even worth throwing away a pick on...especially when we only have 6 picks.

This QB class in FA and the draft is really bad.

Done with settling. Ralph is dead. Go bold.

kscdogbillsfan1221
02-28-2015, 04:56 PM

I don't think settling for scraps at QB is something he'd be happy with in his 2nd and last chance at HC. Can't blame him.

The draft ? Beyond the top 2 who will be gone in the first hour of the draft, name one that's even worth throwing away a pick on...especially when we only have 6 picks.

i hear you, but we have been 'bold' in the past in trading for robo sack, Drew Bledsoe and jp losman. Different eras I know but Ralph did allow his people to be bold before even if it didn't work.

Night Train
02-28-2015, 05:06 PM
i hear you, but we have been 'bold' in the past in trading for robo sack, Drew Bledsoe and jp losman. Different eras I know but Ralph did allow his people to be bold before even if it didn't work.

That was TD and his crap thinking that Bledsoe was the answer (7 good games in 2002.. and done) and Losman was the next guy (when rushed and unprepared). No parallel at all.

These options are bridge/fill in types to get us to 2016 without major compensation and realistic beliefs.

Those both cost us 1st round picks and kept the team in park.

OpIv37
02-28-2015, 05:10 PM

Two problems: our OL fell apart last year and we won't have a top running game.

Night Train
02-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Two problems: our OL fell apart last year and we won't have a top running game.

Agreed but I'm giving the off-season a shot. I doubt settling for the Eric Pears types will be the practice here on out.

I see a new owner who will spend to the cap for his new coach. We'll see.

YardRat
02-28-2015, 06:34 PM

IMO if 'settling for scraps' from a (I agree with you) FA and draft class that is chock full of them wasn't an option, McCown would have never gotten a phone call let alone a visit. I'd be OK with sending a fifth or sixth for Foles instead of using one of those picks to draft a QB, but nothing more, and nothing from the future especially.

Mike
02-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Stanton is AWFUL
Bradford is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER

PS: I live in West so I watch these guys (Palmer, Stanton, Wilson, Bradford, Keap) play 16 games per season plus playoffs.

stuckincincy
03-01-2015, 03:40 AM

Unless he's injured to the point where recovery is strongly in question, I can't see PHI parting with Foles unless somebody steps up with a pretty high draft choice.

He's under contract this year, with total compensation being $815,880. And if he can't play, they can toss him onto the IR list.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/nick-foles/

swiper
03-01-2015, 05:07 AM
Matt Schaub would be my choice.

Nick Foles/Matt Moore would be top of my list too.

Hoyer/Stanton/Cousins/Cassel would be ok.

Sanchez and the rest after that.

They'll get one and draft one.

Tuel will have to lift his game to stay on the final roster.

jamze132
03-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Of all of the available options, the best option might already be on the roster. Of course I'd love to be able to trade for Foles or Bradford, but if that's not possible, the only other guy that would challenge EJ would be Hoyer.

DraftBoy
03-01-2015, 11:47 AM

I think you take a long look at Brett Hundley out of UCLA. He's been inconsistent at UCLA but he's been good more often than he's been bad. He's got it all size, athleticism, arm strength, and leadership.

The question is does he make it to our 2nd Round pick or does a QB hungry team that missed on Mariota/Winston jump into Late Round 1, Early Round 2 to snag Hundley before our pick.

I like Hundley's potential upside more than Foles or Stanton.

DraftBoy
03-01-2015, 11:53 AM
I think you take a long look at Brett Hundley out of UCLA. He's been inconsistent at UCLA but he's been good more often than he's been bad. He's got it all size, athleticism, arm strength, and leadership.

The question is does he make it to our 2nd Round pick or does a QB hungry team that missed on Mariota/Winston jump into Late Round 1, Early Round 2 to snag Hundley before our pick.

I like Hundley's potential upside more than Foles or Stanton.

Pretty good article on the good and bad of Hundley;
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2279354-uclas-brett-hundley-is-2015-nfl-drafts-most-polarizing-quarterback-prospect

The writer, Dan Hope, is also the Editor of BBD.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-01-2015, 12:11 PM
I could happily trade for Foles but I don't see Philly giving him up unless they are desperate for picks to get Mariota. Even then it would be a draft day three-teamer.

stuckincincy
03-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Pretty good article on the good and bad of Hundley;
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2279354-uclas-brett-hundley-is-2015-nfl-drafts-most-polarizing-quarterback-prospect

The writer, Dan Hope, is also the Editor of BBD.

From the link:

“He's got everything you want physically,” the scout told Farmer. “You just question his process and vision at times."

Doesn't that sound like Manuel?

The Jokeman
03-01-2015, 12:21 PM
From the link:

“He's got everything you want physically,” the scout told Farmer. “You just question his process and vision at times."

Doesn't that sound like Manual?
It sure does.

DraftBoy
03-01-2015, 01:02 PM
From the link:

Doesn't that sound like Manuel?

I knew this question was coming because their two biggest weaknesses are the same:
1. Accuracy
2. Pocket Presence

I would say that Manuel has all the physical tools but not the desire or willingness to use them. Hundley is just as comfortable breaking the pocket to avoid the rush as he is stepping up in the pocket and resetting his feet. Manuel doesn't have that. Hundley's technical skills on his drops are better than Manuel.

His pocket presence issues to me are teachable, he sack numbers would be greatly reduced if he simply threw the ball away when he was scrambling for his life. He took a a large number of sacks outside the pocket in his career.

His accuracy problems are going to be the question. You're looking at a guy who was is probably a 58-62% career passer in a NFL system. He's got to get quicker and make the throw on target. Hundley, much like Glennon, is a rhythm based passer. If he hits 2 or 3 throws in a row he has a real chance to get comfortable and catch fire. When he's on his anticipation and ability to put the ball anywhere on the field are the 2nd best in this class (behind only Winston). The problem is when he's off there is no telling where the ball may be going.

A system like ours with Roman relying heavily on the run could be a great fit for him.

Like I said I think he has far more upside than either Foles or Stanton.

stuckincincy
03-01-2015, 02:05 PM
I knew this question was coming because their two biggest weaknesses are the same:
1. Accuracy
2. Pocket Presence

I would say that Manuel has all the physical tools but not the desire or willingness to use them. Hundley is just as comfortable breaking the pocket to avoid the rush as he is stepping up in the pocket and resetting his feet. Manuel doesn't have that. Hundley's technical skills on his drops are better than Manuel.

His pocket presence issues to me are teachable, he sack numbers would be greatly reduced if he simply threw the ball away when he was scrambling for his life. He took a a large number of sacks outside the pocket in his career.

His accuracy problems are going to be the question. You're looking at a guy who was is probably a 58-62% career passer in a NFL system. He's got to get quicker and make the throw on target. Hundley, much like Glennon, is a rhythm based passer. If he hits 2 or 3 throws in a row he has a real chance to get comfortable and catch fire. When he's on his anticipation and ability to put the ball anywhere on the field are the 2nd best in this class (behind only Winston). The problem is when he's off there is no telling where the ball may be going.

A system like ours with Roman relying heavily on the run could be a great fit for him.

Like I said I think he has far more upside than either Foles or Stanton.

How can this Roman fellow, who as yet to make any mark with this club, rely heavily on the run? The complement of backs don't strike fear. Or game planning against. Spiller is all but gone. An aging Freddy. The usual BUF OL question marks. Masked by years of quick-snap plays, first with Fitz followed by Manuel and then with Orton.

I don't see what running game there is to rely upon. I don't see any qb on staff or any that they can acquire via FA or draft that is going to make teams worry about the run game outside of the quick snap gimmick.

I'd like to think they'd make a run on a Giovanni Bernard or some such, the they don't have the ammo. They spend so unwisely...they have the cap $, and waste it on a canny Orton who knew more about NFLPA contracts that they did.

Make high-round draft deals as if they were buying a used lawn mower in the winter from a neighbor who just had that "sold" sticker slapped on the realty sign...

Night Train
03-01-2015, 03:14 PM
How can this Roman fellow, who as yet to make any mark with this club, rely heavily on the run? The complement of backs don't strike fear. Or game planning against. Spiller is all but gone. An aging Freddy. The usual BUF OL question marks. Masked by years of quick-snap plays, first with Fitz followed by Manuel and then with Orton.

I don't see what running game there is to rely upon. I don't see any qb on staff or any that they can acquire via FA or draft that is going to make teams worry about the run game outside of the quick snap gimmick.

I'd like to think they'd make a run on a Giovanni Bernard or some such, the they don't have the ammo. They spend so unwisely...they have the cap $, and waste it on a canny Orton who knew more about NFLPA contracts that they did.

Make high-round draft deals as if they were buying a used lawn mower in the winter from a neighbor who just had that "sold" sticker slapped on the realty sign...

Which is why the OL should be worked on in FA and the draft. I think this new staff understands the horse (OL) comes before the cart (skill players). Otherwise, Incognito wouldn't have been signed early. They need both but the OL must show run blocking ability.