PDA

View Full Version : BALANCE OF POWER -Part 1

Dozerdog
07-20-2003, 11:12 AM
BALANCE OF POWER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bills hope more running, less passing will strengthen an offense full of returnees

By MARK GAUGHAN
News Sports Reporter
7/20/2003

This is the first in a four-part series previewing Buffalo Bills training camp. Today's installment focuses on the offense.

For the first time in four years, the Buffalo Bills' offense returns the same coordinator, the same starting quarterback and basically the same playbook from the previous year.

The attack, however, should wind up looking significantly different.

The Bills were the second most pass-happy team in the NFL last year, dropping back on 63.8 percent of their plays. The only team more airborne was St. Louis, which threw on 66.5 percent of its plays. The league average was 56.7 percent.
...MORE... (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030720/1026475.asp)

HenryRules
07-20-2003, 11:20 AM
I think they overlook the biggest factor in us being able to become a more balanced offense - Olandis Gary. Last year, Henry was the only back on the team that Gilbride had faith in giving the ball to. When Henry needed a break, there was no one else on the team to run the ball. As a result, while the Bills as a team didn't run the ball as much as most would like, Henry ran the ball about as much as you'd ever want a RB to run the ball without worrying about his long-term health.

Now that we have Gary to get some carries as well, we can still run the ball when Henry needs a rest.

Captain gameboy
07-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Gilbride makes a subtle point that I think is very valid, obliquely taking a shot at Price's blocking efforts. Small or not, he didn't put much effort into that element.
Reed clearly doesn't have the speed of Price, but his blocking should provide better success for sweeps his way.
Moulds is very good at this.

The_Philster
07-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by gameboy
Gilbride makes a subtle point that I think is very valid, obliquely taking a shot at Price's blocking efforts. Small or not, he didn't put much effort into that element.
Reed clearly doesn't have the speed of Price, but his blocking should provide better success for sweeps his way.
Moulds is very good at this.

Being a former RB, I would definitely say that Reed has the advantage in terms of blocking ability over Price...Price was never known as that type of WR. While I'll miss having Price's speed opposite Moulds, Reed's abilities should prove to be superior.

Schobel94
07-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Everyone is talking about speed, speed this and speed that as iff Reed was some slow poke or something. Ill state this now as Ive stated it again, he is just as fast as Jerry rice and Andre Reed. Most of the best recievers of all time were not speed recievers. Having speed is great, but when you lack in all other departments, its worthless. Fact is Reed has good bursts of speed to attain separation, smooth route running, hands of glue, and awsome run after catch abilities. And, oh yeah, peerless wasnt exactly feerless, how many times did Price go over the middle? I can remember any. Reed will do that, take the big hit and still hang onto the ball. I think Reed will far outdo anything Price did last year.

Earthquake Enyart
07-20-2003, 12:43 PM
It's not like Moulds is slow... :rolleyes: