• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    • Sep 2010

McCoy refused to take pay-cut in Philadelphia

Philadelphia Eagles NEWS: LeSean McCoy Refuses Pay Cut

By Cal Setar | Jan 30, 2015 10:37 AM

Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy is slated to make some serious dough next season - $9.75 million to be exact.

But even more importantly, he's expected to count $12 million against the salary cap, which is the highest of any Eagles player and second to only Adrian Peterson among NFL running backs, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer.

His production this past season - 1,319 yards and five touchdowns rushing - while good, came nowhere close to matching the previous season when he led the league in rushing and averaged over 5.0 yards per carry.

He plays a position, not necessarily of lessening importance, as proven by the success of the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots, two power running teams, but of lessening value. Many NFL teams believe they can find productive running backs in all areas of the draft and free agency and pay them much less than McCoy is slated to make.

Still, McCoy said that, while he's willing to talk about a restructuring of his deal, he won't entertain the notion of a pay cut.

"I know how hard it is to keep a team together and I want to be part of this team. But I don't want to take less money," McCoy said, according to the Inquirer. "I want to figure a way to make it happen [where] we're all together."

With the electric but diminutive Darren Sproles and oft-injured Chris Polk, the only other running backs on the roster last season, it's difficult to envision the Eagles giving up on McCoy.
    Philadelphia Eagles All-Pro running back LeSean McCoy has made it clear that he won't take a pay cut to stay with the team. Will he at least restructure?
    Last edited by swiper; 03-04-2015, 04:48 AM.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: McCoy refused to take pay-cut in Philadelphia

Surprise ! Chip Kelly wants to play college ball again and is giving up on many good players. Get Kiko, get Mariota. Run the spread with a one read and run QB. Oregon North.

He won the power struggle and it's his way all the way. If he crashes, it's back to college with a big offer awaiting him. He figures he has little to lose.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

We're now #2 in the league for money dedicated to the running back position, and cutting one of the other three is by no means saving any money. If Shady doesn't want to make less, I'm betting they get a deal done with a decent bonus but low salary numbers for a couple of seasons that's backloaded for years 4 and 5. A $15mil signing bonus will cover the first two years of his old contract (almost) and cut the cap hit to about a third of what it is now.

YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
        Surprise ! Chip Kelly wants to play college ball again and is giving up on many good players. Get Kiko, get Mariota. Run the spread with a one read and run QB. Oregon North.

He won the power struggle and it's his way all the way. If he crashes, it's back to college with a big offer awaiting him. He figures he has little to lose.
        Clearly what's going on there.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
          Victimizing The Victimizer
          • Aug 2012

I wonder if Chip wanted Kiko, And the Bills will flip McCoy??

Comment

• Swiper
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            We're now #2 in the league for money dedicated to the running back position, and cutting one of the other three is by no means saving any money. If Shady doesn't want to make less, I'm betting they get a deal done with a decent bonus but low salary numbers for a couple of seasons that's backloaded for years 4 and 5. A $15mil signing bonus will cover the first two years of his old contract (almost) and cut the cap hit to about a third of what it is now.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-b.../running-back/
            Kind of warming to the possibilities of a McCoy with Dixon in the same backfield.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Spotrac also shows Eric Woods cap fig at 6.6 Mil + and Urbik at 3.7 Mil. Wood really struggled to anchor last year and Urbik is a backup on his best day.

They could be targets as this OL gets overhauled.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Raptor
                • Jan 2009

I wouldn't take a pay cut either, Why should he? He's just as talented as he was in 2013 but Chip Reduced his role likely hoping to reduce his number

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Can't blame him here. He was open to renegotiating his deal to move some cap money to bonus money, but I don't see why he should take a pay cut or even entertain the idea.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

You think Philly is north of Oregon?
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

Freddies' days in Buff are numbered.

Comment

• Swiper
                        • Sep 2010

FJax then. FJax now. FJax forever.

One of the best Bills ever. (2006 - present)

Comment

• k-oneputt
                          • Jun 2009

I agree but I see McCoy, Brown, and Dixon.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                            Victimizing The Victimizer
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
                            Freddies' days in Buff are numbered.
                            That they are, No matter how nice a guy you may be, Father time is catching up with him,And the NFL is no place for a 33 year old RB.

Comment

• EDS
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                              I wouldn't take a pay cut either, Why should he? He's just as talented as he was in 2013 but Chip Reduced his role likely hoping to reduce his number
                              McCoy had over 300 carries last season, which is a huge workload, so hard to see how his role was significantly reduced.

Comment

Working...
                              X