PDA

View Full Version : It is Absolutely Crucial We Now Go All In to Improve the OL

SpikedLemonade
03-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Ritchie Incognito is just a back up at this stage of his career.

Chris Williams was a stupid purchase and is barely a NFL back up.

Two of the three OL rookies we drafted last year will prove to be busts.

Eric Wood regressed last year.

Cordy Glenn didn't impress last year.

We can all rationalize the above by blaming Marrone's coaching and other coaching, but I don't see a lot of proven talent among that OL group.

Now that we have Shady, we absolutely must add a minimum of 2 above average starters to that OL in order to pair a top 5 running game with a top 5 defence if we hope to make the play-offs.

We need to sign one of the top 3 FA Guards.

We need to use our 2nd pick on a G or RT.

Our QB situation will be crap this year no matter what we do, however we can minimize the impact with a dominate running game.

Forget about spending resources on an elite TE or DE.

Concentrate on the OL. That is something we can improve upon.

Night Train
03-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Signing Incognito shows they understand the OL issue completely. FA and draft will solve that.

QB doesn't have to be " crap ". We'll see.

Can still improve other positions. May still have some cap cuts of our own coming.

CleveSteve
03-04-2015, 09:03 AM
I'm doing one of those message-board-based interactive mock drafts for the Bills again this year. Planning on taking two OL relatively early.

BTW, anybody see DraftTek's latest mock? Completely ridiculous. Has the Bills taking a QB, a RB, a FB, and 3 TEs with their six picks. Seriously. For real.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2015, 09:05 AM

We can all rationalize the above by blaming Marrone's coaching and other coaching, but I don't see a lot of proven talent among that OL group.

Now that we have Shady, we absolutely must add a minimum of 2 above average starters to that OL in order to pair a top 5 running game with a top 5 defence if we hope to make the play-offs.

Our QB situation will be crap this year no matter what we do, however we can minimize the impact with a dominate running game.

Concentrate on the OL. That is something we can improve upon.
Incognito certainly is a starter in my opinion. I don't see any reason why not. No guarantees of course.

I do agree with pretty much everything else.

Night Train
03-04-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm doing one of those message-board-based interactive mock drafts for the Bills again this year. Planning on taking two OL relatively early.

You are wise. This is a very good year for OL and we can get top quality in Round 2,3 and even Saturday.

SpikedLemonade
03-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Signing Incognito shows they understand the OL issue completely.

Not if they see Incognito as a starter on opening day.

Night Train
03-04-2015, 09:07 AM
It's the idea that they can grab someone to compete at a position of need even before FA starts. Big picture.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2015, 09:08 AM

Explain your point here.

Two years ago was a pro bowler.

Was playing just fine when his incident occured.

Why could he not be a starter now? He isn't super old.

Dr. Who
03-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Incognito can be a starter. I would look at Boling or Blaylock at guard, Bulaga at tackle in free agency.

cookie G
03-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Incognito can be a starter. I would look at Boling or Blaylock at guard, Bulaga at tackle in free agency.

I was just thinking of Blalock. He was making a little less than 5 million when he was cut. An above average pass blocker, but a very good run blocker. He'd be perfect and for a reasonable price.

How much the rookies improve is anyone's guess. On the good side, I heard Kujo is attending LeCharles Bentley's OL school.

Bentley has become a kind of guru for OL. Geoff Schwartz, Alex Boone and Larry Warford give him a lot of credit for transforming their game.

Bring in Blalock, keep drafting before the 5th round, improve the rookies.

That will make Shady happy.

SpikedLemonade
03-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Explain your point here.

Two years ago was a pro bowler.

Was playing just fine when his incident occured.

Why could he not be a starter now? He isn't super old.

When this season starts, that will be 3 years since he was a Pro Bowler in 2012.

2013 was when his season ended due to the incidents.

Last year, no team wanted him so he did not play.

32 years old is pretty old for an OL.

If the Bills are slotting him as a starter, they and we will be severely disappointed.

tomz
03-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Signing Incognito shows they understand the OL issue completely. FA and draft will solve that.

QB doesn't have to be " crap ". We'll see.

Can still improve other positions. May still have some cap cuts of our own coming.

I agree that qb is not a given. I still hold out a little hope for ej, even. He did win 2 out of 4 last year and the running game was not all that. Maybe he can lean on the run game and defense and finally get his full season chance like rookie and second years for Big Ben and Flacco. (I am NOT saying he is necessarily in their league.)

SpikedLemonade
03-05-2015, 04:28 PM
It's the idea that they can grab someone to compete at a position of need even before FA starts. Big picture.

Competition is good.

X-Era
03-05-2015, 04:35 PM

Concentrate on the OL. That is something we can improve upon.Agree on FA G. I think the draftee could come from any of the early rounds.

YardRat
03-05-2015, 04:49 PM
OT is turning into the trouble spot, we can still get a G in FA, and one in the draft. Personally I'd like to grab a C high this year. One of the issues is we've got quite a few youngsters that we are hoping progress exponentially, kinda tough to cut ties with any of them after one season.

SpikedLemonade
03-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Agree on FA G. I think the draftee could come from any of the early rounds.

We only have two -- 2nd or 3rd.

An equally drafted rookie G or RT will on balance be much more effective in his first year than a rookie TE.

Rookie TEs drafted outside of the 1st round tend to struggle in their first year.

SpikedLemonade
03-05-2015, 04:55 PM
OT is turning into the trouble spot, we can still get a G in FA, and one in the draft. Personally I'd like to grab a C high this year. One of the issues is we've got quite a few youngsters that we are hoping progress exponentially, kinda tough to cut ties with any of them after one season.

Cutting a 5th or 7th round draft pick after 2 pre-seasons and a season should not be tough.

YardRat
03-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Cutting a 5th or 7th round draft pick after 2 pre-seasons and a season should not be tough.

Under normal circumstances I would agree, but considering they were good enough to start a good part or all of last season I'd be surprised. It depends on what they bring to camp for the new coach. If Kujo doesn't show marked improvement over last year, he may be shown the door before Richardson or Henderson. As soon as they are drafted, the round becomes irrelevant.

Mace
03-05-2015, 05:52 PM
OL is much less of an issue now though, because you can get away with road grading run blockers without pass protection finesse in a run heavy offense, and run blocking is traditionally easier for less skilled or experienced players, though you'd just need smarter ones for Roman's more complex system. If Richardson, Kouandjio, and Henderson can learn to plow alongside the plow Incognito (didn't like getting him but even I have to admit he'll still be an effective plow), they should be able to pull off the occasional pass blocking for short development dinks and dunks.

I'm changing my thinking on it from the obvious necessity and intent. Before I was thinking long play pass blocking, buy the QB time in the pocket. That's just not where they are going though.

SpikedLemonade
03-05-2015, 05:56 PM
OL is much less of an issue now though, because you can get away with road grading run blockers without pass protection finesse in a run heavy offense, and run blocking is traditionally easier for less skilled or experienced players, though you'd just need smarter ones for Roman's more complex system. If Richardson, Kouandjio, and Henderson can learn to plow alongside the plow Incognito (didn't like getting him but even I have to admit he'll still be an effective plow), they should be able to pull off the occasional pass blocking for short development dinks and dunks.

I'm changing my thinking on it from the obvious necessity and intent. Before I was thinking long play pass blocking, buy the QB time in the pocket. That's just not where they are going though.

None of those 3 rookies or for that matter our entire OL, got much push in run blocking last year.

The holes were simply not there.

It would be a waste of Shady's talent if that happens again this year.

Night Train
03-05-2015, 05:59 PM
I was just thinking of Blalock. He was making a little less than 5 million when he was cut. An above average pass blocker, but a very good run blocker. He'd be perfect and for a reasonable price.

How much the rookies improve is anyone's guess. On the good side, I heard Kujo is attending LeCharles Bentley's OL school.

Bentley has become a kind of guru for OL. Geoff Schwartz, Alex Boone and Larry Warford give him a lot of credit for transforming their game.

Bring in Blalock, keep drafting before the 5th round, improve the rookies.

That will make Shady happy.

Bentley was one of the toughest guys ever and team captain at Ohio St. Uber intense. I didn't know he was running a school and anyone attending it should come up better for it. In his day, he could lift the gym and blow out anyone in his way.

YardRat
03-05-2015, 06:02 PM
None of those 3 rookies or for that matter our entire OL, got much push in run blocking last year.

IMO that had more to do with coaching than anything. Half of the time, it didn't even appear that the blocking scheme matched up with the play call.

Mace
03-05-2015, 06:05 PM

Yeah I know. But we also had Pat Morris and Marrone trying to make them mostly pass block or zone block opponents across the field instead of in front of them. Roman works differently.

I'm not saying I agree with what's going on or how it's going on, because I don't think I do, but the equation and intent changed.

Don't get too excited about Shady's talent just yet (sorry Shady), you'll see him tend to try and bounce outside a lot like Spiller did if there's no obvious hole. But there will be holes in Roman's way of things, using large plow linemen who won't be chasing their assignments across the field.