• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Is your opinion of Whaley changing any?

This one's for you wagon. Opinion of Whaley as a GM changing any?
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Is your opinion of Whaley changing any?

I still don't know how much say he had in the Manuel selection (Nix) and that 2nd round OT bust from Alabama sucked... but his FA pickups have been stellar and other draft picks have produced. Now he has an owner with deep pockets and a coach he seems to be seeing eye to eye with.

The Watkins trade was a small reach but I had no issues with it. It didn't cost us a shot at a decent QB. I like Watkins a lot and glad he's ours.

Didn't get the czar thing with Polian and it sounded more of a short term consulting role for Pegula in reality.

He's done his job the last couple of days, for sure.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

It just seems to me that there is someone advising the Pegulas pretty well. It is Whaley's building MO that he comes up with these good under the radar pick-ups.

I'm still happy we got the Colton Schmidt (punter), Marcus Thigpen (returner), and Dixon.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
        Victimizing The Victimizer
        • Aug 2012

I don't think the Pegulas have anything to do with any of the football moves, They opened the check book, And let the football guys do their thing.

That's what you want from rookie owners who don't really know the sport, They don't want the Bills going down the same road as the Sabres, That's for dam sure.

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Whaley is doing everything in his means to improve the 53 man roster which I like. I just hope he isn't over looking the just because we have McCoy we'll be an improved team as RB wasn't the biggest off season need for our offense. To me that is and remains TE. Hopefully we can get McCoy to rework his salary and free up another $4-$6 million that can then use on a veteran TE and also keep/replace Searcy and/or Hughes and I'll feel a lot better. As thus far I give him a B- on his offseason as like McCoy and Cassel I just hate that it's costing us almost $14 million in cap space.
          Last edited by The Jokeman; 03-04-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
            Whaley is doing everything in his means to improve the 53 man roster which I like. I just hope he isn't over looking the just because we have McCoy we'll be an improved team as RB wasn't the biggest off season need for our offense. To me that is and remains TE. Hopefully we can get McCoy to rework his salary and free up another $4-$6 million that can then use on a veteran TE and also keep/replace Searcy and/or Hughes and I'll feel a lot better. As thus far I give him a B- on his offseason as like McCoy and Cassel I just hate that it's costing us almost $14 million in cap space.
            At this point... before any contracts are reworked... and before free agency even begins

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

He already hosed the cap for an RB before FA even started without fixing the OL.

The D already lost Kiko, and is likely to lose Hughes, Spikes and Searcy.

I don't get the Cassell move at all. The difference between him and the FA's available isn't worth his cap hit and weakening our already weak draft position.

Pegula apparently learned nothing from going for broke with the Sabres.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DieHrdBillsFan23
                Nobody Circles the Wagon, Like the Buffalo Bills
                • Jan 2006

I do believe buffalo has a plan to free up cap space and possibly re-work both Cassel and McCoy to offer more upfront money to lower cap hit, esp with McCoy
                Lets Go Buffalo!!!!

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                  He already hosed the cap for an RB before FA even started without fixing the OL.

I don't get the Cassell move at all. The difference between him and the FA's available isn't worth his cap hit and weakening our already weak draft position.

I think Cassel is a safe bet and probably safer than any UFA QB out there Sure he might not have the upside as a Jake Locker but think we don't need a great QB to win we need an average guy and now that we're pairing it with McCoy we could be closer the making that jump that said I still say we need to find a starting TE and not ruin the defense. Also any UFA QB we brought in likely cost us the same cap hit in 2015 and might even require additional years which might be foolish. As if EJ doesn't become our franchise QB this year you can bet that we will be looking to draft a QB early in 2016.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                    • Feb 2009

You must be under the assumption the Bills could have gotten Jake Locker or Christian Ponder to play for them for free or the league minimum

Comment

• WagonCircler
                      Escaped Convict
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      This one's for you wagon. Opinion of Whaley as a GM changing any?
                      Why would it? I'm glad we at least signed a QB. If he starts, that much the better. But I have a feeling he's Orton 2.0. (Still better than EJ--but not exactly ground breaking GM work).

I'm not thrilled by the addition of a malcontent Running Back who hates Buffalo. Seems like a sucker's play. I'd rather have seen the Bills go after DeMarco Murray, who is a UFA, then package Kiko to try to deal for a real QB.

McCoy is a very good RB, but if we could have signed Murray or Gore, we'd still have Kiko to deal for picks or players.

My opinion hasn't changed, and it will not change until we get a clear signal that he has wised up and turned the page on EJ Dismal.

Comment

• Mace
                        Haha...yeah you think so ?
                        • Mar 2013

Not for the good. Doesn't have any idea what he's doing, is too stoned to care about more than having done something. I thought he kept nodding off even during the Ryan hire press conference with the same expression on his face.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Downinfloflo View Post
                          I don't think the Pegulas have anything to do with any of the football moves, They opened the check book, And let the football guys do their thing.

That's what you want from rookie owners who don't really know the sport, They don't want the Bills going down the same road as the Sabres, That's for dam sure.
                          Two different sports with different rules in regards to player acquisition.

But I am very happy with both Murray & Whaley.

I expect a lot of excitement from both teams in the near future.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            I expect a lot of excitement from both teams in the near future.
                            No no no, don't ever do this, trust me.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

The Browns are on the hook for $14 Mill for the next 3 years to sign McCown.

The Bills can cut bait on Cassel after this year if they choose at a cost of only $4 Mill.

There is no FA QB out there the Bills could have got for less than the $4 Mill they are paying Cassel.

And I got those numbers from Joe Buscagila on WGR this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X