PDA

View Full Version : Who's The Better QB? Matt Cassel or Kyle Orton?

BillsImpossible
03-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Is Cassel is a better QB than Kyle Orton?

His career stats are very similar to Orton's.

Matt Cassel turns 33 years old in May, stands 6'4 228 lbs, and has 10 seasons of NFL experience under his belt.

From 2008-2010, Cassel was a pretty good quarterback. Same with Orton.

In 2010, Cassel led the Chiefs to a division title and was selected to the Pro Bowl.

That's about the biggest difference I could find between the two players.

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattcassel/2506562/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/kyleorton/2506444/careerstats

In 82 games in 11 seasons, Kyle Orton was 42-40.

In 72 games in 10 seasons, Cassel is 33-39.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html

Is Cassel better than Orton?

Novacane
03-04-2015, 06:19 PM
It's a wash imo

The Jokeman
03-04-2015, 06:31 PM
It's close but I think Orton's slightly better as he has a better completion %, yards per attempt TD/INT ratio which is how I grade QBs.

Mace
03-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Diff types of QB. Orton was a gunslinger, if dubious at it, for all or nothing. Cassel is a play action dink and dunker. You'd want Orton in an attempted shootout, you'd want Cassel to try and keep from getting into an attempted shootout.

BillsImpossible
03-04-2015, 06:33 PM
It's a wash imo

I find sitting on fences to be uncomfortable.

Statistically speaking, Orton has the edge, but football speaking I think Cassel is the better quarterback.

A division title win is a huge accomplishment in the NFL. Orton never led his team to a division title.

All that matters about the Pro Bowl is who gets selected. Orton never got voted to the Pro Bowl.

The Chiefs had an excellent 2010 season, and then got smoked at home by the Ravens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Kansas_City_Chiefs_season

Better to have been smoked than to have never been smoked before.

BillsImpossible
03-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Diff types of QB. Orton was a gunslinger, if dubious at it, for all or nothing. Cassel is a play action dink and dunker. You'd want Orton in an attempted shootout, you'd want Cassel to try and keep from getting into an attempted shootout.

Reminds me of some game I watched about a month ago called the Super Bowl.

The Jokeman
03-04-2015, 06:36 PM
I find sitting on fences to be uncomfortable.

Statistically speaking, Orton has the edge, but football speaking I think Cassel is the better quarterback.

A division title win is a huge accomplishment in the NFL. Orton never led his team to a division title.

All that matters about the Pro Bowl is who gets selected. Orton never got voted to the Pro Bowl.

The Chiefs had an excellent 2010 season, and then got smoked at home by the Ravens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Kansas_City_Chiefs_season

Better to have been smoked than to have never been smoked before.

Anyone catch the irony that once again Cassel will replace Orton? As the Chiefs elected to trade for Cassel and let Orton walk as an UFA.

BillsImpossible
03-04-2015, 06:42 PM
It's close but I think Orton's slightly better as he has a better completion %, yards per attempt TD/INT ratio which is how I grade QBs.

Who do you think had the better overall offensive talent to work with?

Orton with Chicago and Denver, or Cassel with New England, Kansas City and Minnesota?

HHURRICANE
03-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Orton is better. Kind of frustrating that we had to trade to get a weaker version of a guy that we already had on our team.

HHURRICANE
03-04-2015, 07:29 PM
I love the fact that I got ripped for wanting to keep Orton and now we have this thread where we're debating who's better.

Ralph was right. Bills fans will accept anything if packaged correctly.

Jaybird
03-04-2015, 07:30 PM
4 quarters for a dollar

colin
03-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Pretty close but edge goes to cassle since Orton was one foot out the door and back to retirement.

Mace
03-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Reminds me of some game I watched about a month ago called the Super Bowl.

Well yeah if you could hope to get either one of them to the level of Wilson and Brady. But I still don't think you can compare them adequately for their respective games.

You aren't going to see the Bills Orton Pass this year like you wouldn't have seen them Cassel Run last year. If you want a better answer, Weis Cassel is the best QB for a running game, Orton is better for slinging it like a madman.

Neither are going to carry a team to the promised land on their merits, though Cassel has the better chance because it's not all about his arm and he didn't retire yet.

Mr. Pink
03-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Orton.

Not by much.

Shady25
03-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Kiko thinks Cassel would be better then Orton was, but we will never be able to tell because EJ will make significant improvements and justify himself as the starting QB.

casdhf
03-05-2015, 10:07 AM
"Would you rather die by firing squad or hanging?"

jimmifli
03-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Cassel got ****ed with a pretty horrendous coaching staff.

I remember a Romeo Crennel interview answer that got some play in the national media:

A reporter asked what was the game plan when the defense stacked eight men in the box? His answer was run away from the eighth man. That's destined to fail. Asking your QB to throw on 3rd and 8 all game is going to get him killed. And it did.

He's had 7 different OCs in 6 years. His best year(s) were with Charlie Weiss and he was really good. He's proven he can carry a team with a good scheme and good playcalling a doesn't just rely on on a dominant defense. When he is teamed with ****ty coaches, he's about as good as Orton.

While he did get injured a lot, he put up his numbers with little protection and while running for his life. So at least he's got experience with that.

Most importantly he knows how to run a meeting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EVcQi8oCgcY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

casdhf
03-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Matt Cassel: The K-Swiss of QBs (tm)