• Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Current State of the Buffalo Bills: An objective look

Current players under contract: 59

Current cap space: ~$17.25 million
    (Bleacher Report says $31 million, minus $9.75 for McCoy and $4.75 for Cassell, plus 750k for Kiko). FYI this doesn't include the rookie cap allocation, so the amount the team can spend is actually less.

Draft picks: 6 (none in the first round, only 3 in the first 5 rounds).

UFA's and RFA's:
    C.J. Spiller UFA
    Kyle Orton UFA
    Jerry Hughes UFA
    Erik Pears UFA
    Brandon Spikes UFA
    Keith Rivers UFA
    Da'Norris Searcy UFA
    Chris Hairston UFA
    Marcus Easley UFA
    Lee Smith UFA
    Jarius Wynn UFA
    Stevenson Sylvester UFA
    Larry Dean UFA
    Marcus Thigpen RFA
    Corbin Bryant ERFA
    Chris Hogan ERFA
    Jordan Gay ERFA

Clearly, Spiller and Orton have been replaced. But this team has < $17.25 million and 6 draft picks (only 3 in the first 5 rounds) to:
    1. Upgrade the OL
    2. Re-sign or replace Searcy
    3. Re-sign or replace Hughes
    4. Re-sign or replace Spikes
    5. Upgrade TE
    6. Do something about DL Depth (Bryant and Wynn are both unsigned)
    7. Do something about WR depth (Hogan and Thigpen are both unsigned)
    8. Do something about OL depth (I'm no big fan of Pears or Hairston but without them we don't even have enough bodies)

Ouch.

And people wonder why I'm concerned.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Current State of the Buffalo Bills: An objective look

Sorry... any thread started by you and using the word "objective" in the title is suspect. LOL.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
      Sorry... any thread started by you and using the word "objective" in the title is suspect. LOL.
      say what you want- the facts and numbers are all there and it ain't pretty.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BidsJr
        • Sep 2002

hahahahahaha objective!
        "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BidsJr View Post
          hahahahahaha objective!
          How can you say it's not objective? It's real numbers and a list of real players who aren't signed.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            Current players under contract: 59

Current cap space: ~$17.25 million
            (Bleacher Report says $31 million, minus $9.75 for McCoy and $4.75 for Cassell, plus 750k for Kiko). FYI this doesn't include the rookie cap allocation, so the amount the team can spend is actually less.

Draft picks: 6 (none in the first round, only 3 in the first 5 rounds).

UFA's and RFA's:
            C.J. Spiller UFA replaced with McCoy
            Kyle Orton UFA replaced with Cassel
            Jerry Hughes UFA replace with Trent Cole or LaMarr Woodley and Hau'Oli Kikaha@ pick 50)
            Erik Pears UFA replace with Ritchie Incognto
            Brandon Spikes UFA replace with Stevenson Sylvester
            Keith Rivers UFAI don't think we need to replace him
            Da'Norris Searcy UFA replace with DaWan Landry
            Chris Hairston UFAreplace with Adam Snyder
            Marcus Easley UFAwill re-sign
            Lee Smith UFA replace with Jermaine Gresham
            Jarius Wynn UFA will re-sign or maybe sign a NT type like Kenrick Ellis or maybe bring back Alex Carrington
            Stevenson Sylvester UFA [He wasn't on the 53 man roster last year[/b]
            Larry Dean UFA will re-sign
            Marcus Thigpen RFA will re-sign
            Corbin Bryant ERFA will re-sign
            Chris Hogan ERFA will re-sign
            Jordan Gay ERFA will re-sign

Clearly, Spiller and Orton have been replaced. But this team has < $17.25 million and 6 draft picks (only 3 in the first 5 rounds) to:
            1. Upgrade the OL
            2. Re-sign or replace Searcy
            3. Re-sign or replace Hughes
            4. Re-sign or replace Spikes
            5. Upgrade TE
            6. Do something about DL Depth (Bryant and Wynn are both unsigned)
            7. Do something about WR depth (Hogan and Thigpen are both unsigned)
            8. Do something about OL depth (I'm no big fan of Pears or Hairston but without them we don't even have enough bodies)

Ouch.

And people wonder why I'm concerned.
            I've bolded my plan of attack. As I think you're forgetting that Incognito is an upgrade on the OL. The guy missed the 2013 because of a suspension not because of injury. Yes he's over 30 but he's still got to be better than Cyril Richardson was. Yes, there are questions at the other OG but perhaps a veteran UFA can be had or we draft someone in Round 3. I think Searcy can be replaced for a low cost guy Dawan Landry could do that. Hughes will be tougher to replace but maybe we can go with a pass rusher in Round 2 and add a veteran like Lamarr Woodley (see ties to Whaley in Pittsburgh and experience in a 34 D) or maybe it be pretty cool if could land Trent Cole. Replacing Spikes is a question mark but maybe a healthy Sylvester could do something. I agree we need to Upgrade TE. Hopefully it be with Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas or Clay or Gresham. Bryant is an EFA so he's not going anywhere, Wynn is just a guy. Hogan and Thigpen are both RFA and can't see them going anywhere. In terms of O-line depth I brought up Adam Snyder before as he can play OG and OT and has played under Roman briefly in San Fran as a possible Hairston replacement.
            Last edited by The Jokeman; 03-04-2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

say what you want- the facts and numbers are all there and it ain't pretty.
              Replace Searcy- Can be done from the existing roster IMO
              Replace Hughes- An issue if he isn't resigned and must be addressed or compensated for in other areas as I said
              Replace Spikes- See Hughes
              Upgrade TE- A wish not a must. Yet something I think we will actually do
              Do something about DL depth- I dont consider Bryant or Wynn not easily replaceable... not a big concern in my mind
              Do something about WR depth- Again neither Hogan nor Easley nor Thigpen is irreplaceable
              Do something about OL depth- OL depth is not currently the issue; its the quality of the starters at OG. I would upgrade one of the G spots from FA and hopefully the draft. I think we will do this.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                OP is the most objective poster on any mb. He objects to everything.
                Last edited by justasportsfan; 03-04-2015, 07:08 PM.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

What sort of objective look makes you think the team isn't getting better ?? It's not even March 10th and we've made a few huge moves to get better.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                    What sort of objective look makes you think the team isn't getting better ?? It's not even March 10th and we've made a few huge moves to get better.
                    McCoy makes us better but at a steep price and a high opportunity cost. Plus the lack of OL will hold him back.

Cassell is not an upgrade over Orton and he came at the price of worsening an already weak draft position.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

McCoy makes us better but at a steep price and a high opportunity cost. Plus the lack of OL will hold him back.

Cassell is not an upgrade over Orton and he came at the price of worsening an already weak draft position.
                      You really thinking flipping a 5th for a 6th is a major deal? Heck we could probably trade our 5th during the draft and get a lower 5th and 6th back come draft day as needed. In terms of Cassel vs an UFA option that's the big question but to me he was the best QB available.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

If we win, is it a steep cost or the cost of doing business ? Cassel helped lead the Pats to a 11-5 record & is much more experienced than EJ, keep in mind that he still might be a back-up.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Another **** thread
                          We will check back when free agency and the draft is over

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

How can you say it's not objective? It's real numbers and a list of real players who aren't signed.
                            It is not objective because as I said before, McCoy's contract numbers can be adjusted if that needs to be done & more than likely there will be a couple of cuts that create some more cap space.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                              Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

If we had brought in a bunch of mid level guys with that money you would've said we're shooting for mediocrity again. There's only so much money to spend, and great players cost more. Either way you're not going to be happy.

Your constant *****ing act is getting really old. Jesus, take a vacation will ya?

Comment

Working...
                              X