• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Rex reportedly wanted Kiko out

"Interested to learn trading #Bills LB Kiko Alonso was one of the first things Rex Ryan wanted to do when hired. Perhaps not a scheme fit"

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Rex reportedly wanted Kiko out

He couldn't take the pounding inside and his play dropped dramatically towards the end of 2013. He was going outside last year before the injury. The Bills didn't miss him at all last year as the LB play and run D improved dramatically with Bradham and Brown.

Enter Rex and his D calling for bigger guys on the outside. Lawson fits with this and even Mario Williams if showing a 3-4 look.

Like a said before, I love Kiko and his hustle but he reminds me too much of Shane Conlin, who's body couldn't take the pounding and broke down quickly.

Not making biased excuses and wish the guy all the best ..but decisions like this are made every day. 2 Major ACL recontructive surgeries in 3 years.

That we got McCoy for him is just shocking to me. No other person would have accepted that deal straight up other than Chip Kelly, with homer eyes (Oregon) influencing his decision.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
      He couldn't take the pounding inside and his play dropped dramatically towards the end of 2013. He was going outside last year before the injury. The Bills didn't miss him at all last year as the LB play and run D improved dramatically with Bradham and Brown.

Enter Rex and his D calling for bigger guys on the outside. Lawson fits with this and even Mario Williams if showing a 3-4 look.

Like a said before, I love Kiko and his hustle but he reminds me too much of Shane Conlin, who's body couldn't take the pounding and broke down quickly.

Not making biased excuses and wish the guy all the best ..but decisions like this are made every day. 2 Major ACL recontructive surgeries in 3 years.

That we got McCoy for him is just shocking to me. No other person would have accepted that deal straight up other than Chip Kelly, with homer eyes (Oregon) influencing his decision.
      I will enjoy watching McCoy in Buffalo & Kiko on the Eagles will make them more interesting to watch.

Comment

• Shady25
        • Feb 2015

well lets just hope it works like Kiko imagines.

McCoy getting handed the SB trophy from Rex with a smile on his face, with confetti dropping from the top of the stadium.
        WILL NOT REMOVE THIS UNTIL SHADY IS SUPERBOWL MVP!!!
        ROCHESTER KNIGHTHAWKS '12 '13 '14 CHAMPIONS

Comment

• jimmifli
          • Nov 2006

****. Like we haven't seen this before.

"This really good football player doesn't fit our scheme, so we are going to go get a pretty good football player that does fit to replace him and we will improve because my scheme is more important than talent."

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

We traded Kiko for Shady. We have plenty of LBs. In this instance, it doesn't really seem like a bad move.
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• CleveSteve
              • Apr 2011

I agree Night Train that you guys are good with Bradham and Brown. Plus, with your guys' limited draft resources (zero picks in top 49, two in top 150) and needs on the OL it's nice to not have to spend a pick on a RB.

I'm not sure that Bradham and Brown are good nickel LBs, though. How did they look in coverage last year? TIA.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

Seems that McCoy and their HC weren't seeing eye to eye. My guess is that PHI was going to move him on regardless. I've read here and there that Alonso wasn't in HC Ryan's plans. So Alonso gets re-united with his college coach and PHI unloads a contract. I do hope Kiko is good to go...I'm not sure how well he will fit into PHI's 3-4 D, but for sure, he has that proverbial "nose for the ball."
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post

"This really good football player doesn't fit our scheme, so we are going to go get a pretty good football player that does fit to replace him and we will improve because my scheme is more important than talent."

Could be. I'm not a huge fan of the Ryan hire, and my biggest pet peeve is a coach coming in changing a scheme because its the only one the coach knows how to use (NFL coordinators on both sides of the ball are the biggest divas in all of football).

On the other hand, I just don't see where Kiko was missed last year. That's not a slight on him as much as it is the play of Bradham and Brown.

IF the Bills D drops off this year, it wasn't because we lost Kiko.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Im not sure about these reports. Why would a player who didn't play last year be the first thing Rex wanted to do when there are more problems on this team.
                    Second, Rex said he wanted FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Kiko is one of them.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post

Acting like scheme doesn't matter is as bad as acting like talent doesn't matter.

We all saw how Kiko wore down inside in the 34 scheme having to take on blockers. I'm a little surprised they didn't want to see him at WOLB, but I don't think anybody could argue he was a good fit for the system.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                        Could be. I'm not a huge fan of the Ryan hire, and my biggest pet peeve is a coach coming in changing a scheme because its the only one the coach knows how to use (NFL coordinators on both sides of the ball are the biggest divas in all of football).

On the other hand, I just don't see where Kiko was missed last year. That's not a slight on him as much as it is the play of Bradham and Brown.

Absolutely spot on about coordinators - especially OCs - who abandon the run if they are down by 10 points or so, even though there is plenty of time on the clock. The performances of CIN OCs Bratkowski, Gruden, and Jackson in playoff games are prime examples.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          Acting like scheme doesn't matter is as bad as acting like talent doesn't matter.

We all saw how Kiko wore down inside in the 34 scheme having to take on blockers. I'm a little surprised they didn't want to see him at WOLB, but I don't think anybody could argue he was a good fit for the system.
                          IIRC, the discussions going around at the time was the possibility of moving Alonso outside, and how the more defined responsibilities of an OLB vs. MLB would reduce his ability to flow to the action.

I think Alonzo was a convenient "throw-in" for PHI's goal of canning McCoy and his contract.
                          Last edited by stuckincincy; 03-05-2015, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

Agreed, and this is exactly what I feared would play out when we hired him. Well, that and the last team he managed was a clownshow.

It was missed in short pass coverage. We lost a few games that year over our LB pass coverage, and I think Kiko was the best we had (and could have been one of the best in the league) at that.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

I like the trade. I don't like the stated reasoning. I agree on Kiko not being missed and on the play of Brown and Bradham, but I suspect Rex will push for David Harris to replace Kiko (because he's a better fit). It's that kind of thinking that is dangerous.

I much prefer to hear things like: "Kiko is a really talented football player and as a coach I've got to find ways to help him make plays". Instead we hear things like: "In my system it's important the OLbs are big and strong".

So this deal might work out, but the thought process that led to the deal will erode talent. Again.

Comment

Working...
                              X