PDA

View Full Version : What I think might happen Tuesday

Sportsuser101
03-05-2015, 06:28 AM
Two splashes. Mike Iupati signs to secure our guard problem. David Harris signs to lead the new scheme on defense. I think we talk to Maxwell but don't get anywhere close to what he wants. I think Jerry Hughes gets a monster contract from someone.

I would love the Iupati signing but not sure about the Harris. I like him but hopefully he doesn't want too much. Would love to address our TE situation but there's only so much money.

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2015, 07:26 AM
If we get both of those guys I think our major holes are plugged. The rest are more "wants" and not "needs" and we can try to fill them in the draft.

jpdex12
03-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Agree. Address TE in the draft. We will need an OLB to hold the edge in place of Hughes. Trent Coles is older but available plus we draft one.

DraftBoy
03-05-2015, 09:33 AM
If we get both of those guys I think our major holes are plugged. The rest are more "wants" and not "needs" and we can try to fill them in the draft.

You mean minus QB right? Trading for Cassel doesn't plug that hole anymore than Manuel does, imo.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-05-2015, 09:59 AM
We'd still need another starter on the 3-4 line, if they are moving Williams to OLB.

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2015, 10:03 AM
You mean minus QB right? Trading for Cassel doesn't plug that hole anymore than Manuel does, imo.
EJ = potential starter
Cassel = veteran backup
Draftee = developmental

We're done.

People complain about this everyday, but what realistically do they think is going to happen?

Bring in another FA like Hoyer or Locker? Then we have EJ, Cassel, and FA, and probably a draftee. Then what? Cut EJ? Everyone will still be complaining about a Cassel/Hoyer/Rookie lineup. We're not going to trade for Peyton Manning here. There are no better viable choices out there this year.

DraftBoy
03-05-2015, 10:12 AM
EJ = potential starter
Cassel = veteran backup
Draftee = developmental

We're done.

People complain about this everyday, but what realistically do they think is going to happen?

Bring in another FA like Hoyer or Locker? Then we have EJ, Cassel, and FA, and probably a draftee. Then what? Cut EJ? Everyone will still be complaining about a Cassel/Hoyer/Rookie lineup. We're not going to trade for Peyton Manning here. There are no better viable choices out there this year.

Which does nothing to actually address the hole.

Thurmal
03-05-2015, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Manuel got cut, to be honest.

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2015, 10:14 AM
How about suggesting a solution instead?

- - - Updated - - -

No? I would be shocked. In fact I'd bet anyone real money that he won't. I dare you.

Shady25
03-05-2015, 10:14 AM

what do you suggest they do?

stuckincincy
03-05-2015, 10:16 AM

Same here.

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2015, 10:17 AM
I'm just tired of the constant *****ing. Clearly FO is making efforts, but there are no options out there. What if we made another bold move and traded our 2nd this year and 1st next year for Kaepernick? I can hear the loud *****ing already.

DraftBoy
03-05-2015, 10:18 AM
How about suggesting a solution instead?

We could just tank, and go after Connor Cook in 2016.

But I also wasn't the person who suggested that our QB hold has been plugged.

I said in the Cassel trade thread that I don't like him. Did better alternatives exist? Meh, depends on who you liked.

I don't think the team is destined to be a playoff team next year based on the current construct. I do think they are setting up for a really nice 2016 though if they can figure out the QB problem.

DraftBoy
03-05-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm just tired of the constant *****ing. Clearly FO is making efforts, but there are no options out there. What if we made another bold move and traded our 2nd this year and 1st next year for Kaepernick? I can hear the loud *****ing already.

Whose *****ing with regard to the discussion between you and I? I simply disagree that the hole is plugged just because we added a body at QB. Cassel is bad, you know that and I know that.

I really like the Shady deal.

Also a move for Kap...I would love it.

- - - Updated - - -

what do you suggest they do?

They could try and trade up and take a shot at Hundley.

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2015, 10:22 AM
We could just tank, and go after Connor Cook in 2016.

But I also wasn't the person who suggested that our QB hold has been plugged.

I said in the Cassel trade thread that I don't like him. Did better alternatives exist? Meh, depends on who you liked.

I don't think the team is destined to be a playoff team next year based on the current construct. I do think they are setting up for a really nice 2016 though if they can figure out the QB problem.
Oh yeah tank the whole season is the solution. After we traded for McCoy. The streets wouldn't be burned in riots.

I AM suggesting the QB hole has been plugged, as best it can be this season. We have to see EJ through this season, beyond the 14 games spreaded out in 2 seasons. He just has to be our starter.

Thurmal
03-05-2015, 10:22 AM
- - - Updated - - -

No? I would be shocked. In fact I'd bet anyone real money that he won't. I dare you.
I don't think it's a likelihood, but it wouldn't stun me. I think there is little chance he starts over Cassell, though.

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2015, 10:25 AM
I don't think it's a likelihood, but it wouldn't stun me. I think there is little chance he starts over Cassell, though.
Absolutely he starts over Cassel. Not a doubt in my mind.

trapezeus
03-05-2015, 10:26 AM

i would. the coach who took him isn't here, but hte gm still is. he's on record as saying he wanted him and that he knows its his job if it doesn't work. i expect that ej beats cassel for starting job and the bills try to manufacture wins with the run. and they'll be looking for qb's in this years draft and next year's draft and bring the qb up without rushing them through.

Thurmal
03-05-2015, 10:30 AM
EJ was terrible last year. Christ, in the 3rd preseason game (where all starters play two quarters), he was down 20-0 at halftime to what ended up being the worst team in football. If they start him, that's the front office making the call, not the coaching staff. I would be pissed to see the Bills make all these moves, then start Manuel just to justify his draft position.

DraftBoy
03-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Oh yeah tank the whole season is the solution. After we traded for McCoy. The streets wouldn't be burned in riots.

Why?

I AM suggesting the QB hole has been plugged, as best it can be this season. We have to see EJ through this season, beyond the 14 games spreaded out in 2 seasons. He just has to be our starter.

And I'm suggesting that the hole is still as open as it ever has been. Cassel doesn't change that. A solution is not simply adding a body to the position.

Meathead
03-05-2015, 10:33 AM
ejs gonna start the season

freddies gonna get cut

deal wid it

Yasgur's Farm
03-05-2015, 10:36 AM
I agree Miyagi... EJ should be the starter.

Is he a top 10 QB? Nope. But he's no where as bad as the haters make him out to be.

He should get the season (should have gotten last season) so we can actually know for sure what we have.

That said... All of the self proclaimed expert talent evaluators on this board can begin bashing.

BertSquirtgum
03-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Whose *****ing with regard to the discussion between you and I? I simply disagree that the hole is plugged just because we added a body at QB. Cassel is bad, you know that and I know that.

- - - Updated - - -

kaepernick blows

chernobylwraiths
03-05-2015, 10:37 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Kap? Really. I would hate that. I think Cassel is a better QB. Kap is a better RB.

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Trade up how? OK we give our 2nd this year and 1st next year to move up to late first round to draft Petty/Hudley. You don't think 75% of this board will jump off the bridge? Posters are still setting themselves on fire left and right about the Watkins trade. And there's no guarantee either guy is any better than EJ.

Thurmal
03-05-2015, 10:41 AM
This spectacular defense has a finite time left, maybe two years at most. Why use one of those years as a throwaway on the 15% chance that EJ will stop being inaccurate and indecisive and actually climb his way to average? Rodgers sat on the bench for like three years; it won't kill Manuel to do the same.

paladin warrior
03-05-2015, 10:42 AM
You think might happen Tuesday. Well 2 am morning somebody used C-4 and put all over patriot stadium and then blow up patriot stadium down

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2015, 10:45 AM
This spectacular defense has a finite time left, maybe two years at most. Why use one of those years as a throwaway on the 15% chance that EJ will stop being inaccurate and indecisive and actually climb his way to average? Rodgers sat on the bench for like three years; it won't kill Manuel to do the same.
So Cassel starting will get us home? You really think that? If not, what are you suggesting?

Shady25
03-05-2015, 10:46 AM
EJ was terrible last year. Christ, in the 3rd preseason game (where all starters play two quarters), he was down 20-0 at halftime to what ended up being the worst team in football. If they start him, that's the front office making the call, not the coaching staff. I would be pissed to see the Bills make all these moves, then start Manuel just to justify his draft position.

and then we beat Chicago week 1 and everything was fine.

Thurmal
03-05-2015, 10:49 AM
So Cassel starting will get us home? You really think that? If not, what are you suggesting?
Start Cassell and play a run-first, West Coast-type offense. Or pick up Locker or someone else in free agency and have a legit QB competition between the three. If Manuel ended up being good, I would be thrilled, but I have never seen a QB that was as inaccurate as him turn it around.

YardRat
03-05-2015, 06:43 PM

This year has already been thrown away, and the window of opportunity for 'this' defense was slammed shut as soon as they hired Rex. Losing Spikes, Searcy and Hughes certainly isn't going to help, and neither is not having a legit NT to replace KW or another DE to fill the Carrington/Branch role.

BillsImpossible
03-05-2015, 06:54 PM

Matt Cassel took his team (Chiefs) to their first division title in 7 years, and got voted to the Pro-Bowl.

He's better than Manuel.

BertSquirtgum
03-05-2015, 06:59 PM
EJ will be starting unless he's truly as bad as we all think he is. Fits the the exact mold that Roman had in Kaepernick.

Don't Panic
03-05-2015, 07:11 PM

...do you have a magic potion that would?

gonzo1105
03-05-2015, 07:36 PM
I think they are plugging holes cause they are going to take a QB at 50. My preference is Garrett Grayson

Mace
03-05-2015, 08:13 PM
This whole offseason antagonizes me, but I'll admit I have no idea what happens Tuesday and I'm looking forward to it.

Novacane
03-05-2015, 08:56 PM

If he can't beat out Cassell they may as well cut him.

YardRat
03-06-2015, 07:22 AM
I think they are plugging holes because we have holes. I know the team and the fan base haven't been on the same page for a long time when it comes to draft picks and free agents, but one just has to admit that doesn't seem to be the case anymore for the most part. Everybody knows we need a QB, and Whaley has aggressively pursued one from the beginning. Everybody knows we need oline help, and Whaley is bringing them in in. Everybody knew we would either have to sign or replace Spiller, and also get younger at RB, and we did. Even though specific players acquired may not match up with some of our own perceptions, at least the positions are being addressed.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

better days
03-06-2015, 07:33 AM
I agree Miyagi... EJ should be the starter.

Is he a top 10 QB? Nope. But he's no where as bad as the haters make him out to be.

He should get the season (should have gotten last season) so we can actually know for sure what we have.

That said... All of the self proclaimed expert talent evaluators on this board can begin bashing.

I think it may have been a blessing that EJ did not play under Marrone much last year.

Marrone wanted to fit a square peg in a round hole.

In the aftermath, everyone is saying it was Marrone & not Hackett that was responsible for the Bills inept offense last year.

Marrone would not let Hackett run the type of offense he wanted to run.

chris66
03-06-2015, 03:15 PM
The 2 years that Cassel did well 08,11 he was running the same system. So unless the bills are hiring Charlie Weis or Mcdaniels i wouldn't expect to much

DraftBoy
03-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Trade up how? OK we give our 2nd this year and 1st next year to move up to late first round to draft Petty/Hudley. You don't think 75% of this board will jump off the bridge? Posters are still setting themselves on fire left and right about the Watkins trade. And there's no guarantee either guy is any better than EJ.

You don't move up for Petty because he's a 3rd Round or worse QB.

Why would anybody care about how fans react? This is about getting better, not pleasing fans who often have no idea what the value of a player is or how good they are.

- - - Updated - - -

...do you have a magic potion that would?

Yes.

X-Era
03-07-2015, 08:55 AM
Which does nothing to actually address the hole.To be honest I really didn't see a real good way to address it anyways.

X-Era
03-07-2015, 08:57 AM
I think they are plugging holes cause they are going to take a QB at 50. My preference is Garrett Grayson
Mine is Petty. I'd like him in the 5th but we might need to even take him in the 3rd to get him if we want him. All just a guess.

Jry44
03-07-2015, 09:01 AM

The qb hole for anyone is unaddressable this season unless you have a top 5 pick. The FA market is bad and we weren't getting a qb at 19 even if we had our 1st round pick. Matt Cassel obviously isn't our immediate answer, but I'm not sure that one exists for a team in our position this season.