PDA

View Full Version : McCoys new deal 40mil over 5 yr 26.5 guar

X-Era
03-08-2015, 10:49 AM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/574609879672950784

LeSean McCoy and Bills have agreed on a $16M first year total with $26.5M total guaranteed and $40M over 5 years, per @RosenhausSports (https://twitter.com/RosenhausSports)

stuckincincy
03-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Some details per CBS Sports:

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25098324/report-bills-lesean-mccoy-agree-to-five-year-deal

Tatonka
03-08-2015, 10:57 AM
i would assume this lowers his cap number to significantly.

X-Era
03-08-2015, 10:57 AM
One fan is thinking the cap hit will be 5.6. Thats the part I care the most about.

https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/574612063537995776

"Was $10.25M at trade. MT @Jason_OTC (https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC): Looks like McCoys first year cap number will be $5.6 million (using numbers from @MikeGarafolo (https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo) ) #Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash)"

Joe Fo Sho
03-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Nevermind, saw the above post.

Tatonka
03-08-2015, 11:00 AM
perfect. thats huge.

Mahdi
03-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Cool. Sign Hughes and Spikes. An OG and a TE.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 11:28 AM
I was hoping this year's cap hit would get down around that area. Good news.

DraftBoy
03-08-2015, 11:29 AM
All the criticisms of this trade based on the cap number are now rendered mute.

Night Train
03-08-2015, 11:33 AM
But there was no way we'd get this done before Tuesday. I read so here.

:rolleyes:

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 11:38 AM
So we backloaded a halfback contract!?! this offseason is a nightmare

DraftBoy
03-08-2015, 11:41 AM

front loaded.

He makes over half of the guaranteed money this year.

Mike
03-08-2015, 11:43 AM

No not exactly.
They are paying him $16m in 2015 which most of it is his bonus (26m guaranteed)
this means that eventhough they are paying him most of his guaranteed $$$ in 2015, the bills will still spread that bonus across the entire contract. The effect is that it had a positive effect on 2015 Cap as he only accounts for $5M vs Cap, and if they cut him after 4th year, they will only owe him 2.5M (over next 4 years he should collect the majority of the 10m owed).

Fixxxer
03-08-2015, 11:43 AM
now, get the fatties..

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 11:44 AM
front loaded.

No it isn't. Spotrac is reporting a 13 million signing bonus on a 5 year deal.

You can't lower a guy's year 1 cap number AND claim the contract is frontloaded.

DraftBoy
03-08-2015, 11:45 AM

You can't lower a guy's year 1 cap number AND claim the contract is frontloaded.

The majority of the guaranteed money is bonus based per reports from earlier. I have no idea where Sportrac is getting their info. McCoy will make $16 million this year.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 11:50 AM
The majority of the guaranteed money is bonus based per reports from earlier. I have no idea where Sportrac is getting their info. McCoy will make $16 million this year.

Yes, a 13 million signing bonus on a 5 year deal = 2.6 million cap hit per year on top of salary = backloaded contract. In three seasons, we'll be looking at a 30 year halfback likely counting between 8-9 million against the cap with 5.2 in potential dead money charges. The worst possible outcome IMO.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 11:54 AM
$13mil prorated is $2.6 per, so assuming his salary this season is $3.0 that puts him at the $5.6 cap number and just under $16 ($15.8) for this season. I'd like to see where the other $13.8 in guarantees comes into play.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 11:54 AM

It's both frontloaded (big bonus up front) and backloaded (years 4 and 5 have the highest cap numbers).

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 11:56 AM
It's both frontloaded (big bonus up front) and backloaded (years 4 and 5 have the highest cap numbers).

I don't care about the physical cash, I care about the cap hit. McCoy is certainly happy to get his money up front, but we pushed his cap hits into the future - exactly what I did NOT want to do.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Yes, a 13 million signing bonus on a 5 year deal = 2.6 million cap hit per year on top of salary = backloaded contract. In three seasons, we'll be looking at a 30 year halfback likely counting between 8-9 million against the cap with 5.2 in potential dead money charges. The worst possible outcome IMO.

McCoy will more than likely be cut before playing out the full contract.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 12:00 PM

THAT'S THE PROBLEM

X-Era
03-08-2015, 12:00 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy/ cap hit is 5.5 this year. It's a great deal for both sides.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 12:01 PM

Then his bonuses will get drawn into one year as dead money...if he only lasts three seasons that's $5.2 right there, plus whatever is left of the remaining $13.8 in guarantees depending on how the language is structured.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 12:01 PM
I don't care about the physical cash, I care about the cap hit. McCoy is certainly happy to get his money up front, but we pushed his cap hits into the future - exactly what I did NOT want to do.

If he gets cut before the 4th season, the only cap hit is the $2.6 million for 2 seasons.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 12:04 PM
If he gets cut before the 4th season, the only cap hit is the $2.6 million for 2 seasons.

Under his previous deal, he would have been a UFA after 3 years and counted zero. Instead he's an almost guaranteed cut after his 3rd year and now we are eating 5.2 in dead cap.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Under his previous deal, he would have been a UFA after 3 years and counted zero. Instead he's an almost guaranteed cut after his 3rd year and now we are eating 5.2 in dead cap.

$5.2 million in dead cap spread out over two years.

$2.6 million in dead cap isn't much.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 12:08 PM
$5.2 million in dead cap spread out over two years.

$2.6 million in dead cap isn't much.

What is greater? 2.6 million or 0?

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 12:12 PM

I'd like to have 0 dead cap money too, but that's the price teams have to pay if they want to sign a player and avoid having a huge cap hit.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 12:13 PM
I'd like to have 0 dead cap money too, but that's the price teams have to pay if they want to sign a player and avoid having a huge cap hit.

It's great until the bill comes, and then you have a day of reckoning like Dallas, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh have had over the last few years.

elroy16
03-08-2015, 12:15 PM

In 4 years the salary cap will be like $150 million. 2.6 million would take up about 1.6% of the cap space available. That's nothing.

the deal is pretty ideal for both parties.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 12:19 PM
It's great until the bill comes, and then you have a day of reckoning like Dallas, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh have had over the last few years.

At least they've all been to the playoffs and won a couple of Super Bowls to show for it.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Dead cap isn't prorated, it comes due at once when bonus balance is pushed forward.

Years two and three must be small salaries if the back two are loaded.

Still have to account for the other $13.8 in guarantees also.

Novacane
03-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Dead cap isn't prorated, it comes due at once when bonus balance is pushed forward.

Contract Notes:
$18.25 million guaranteed (signing bonus + 2015 base + 2.5 million of 2016 base) 2016 base fully guarantees on first league day of 2016

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 12:26 PM

You can partially split up dead cap with the post June 1st cut rule. We used it on Fitzpatrick i believe.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Contract Notes:
$18.25 million guaranteed (signing bonus + 2015 base + 2.5 million of 2016 base) 2016 base fully guarantees on first league day of 2016

So it isn't $26.8 guaranteed?

WagonCircler
03-08-2015, 12:27 PM
This is the type of thing that is now possible thanks to Terry Pegula.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 12:29 PM

When he ponies up the same money, actually slightly more, for Dareus that Ralph put on the table for Mario than he can talk.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 12:29 PM

Excellent point. Don't forget Kim!

Methinks she's running the team...

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 12:35 PM
When he ponies up the same money, actually slightly more, for Dareus that Ralph put on the table for Mario than he can talk.

The Pegulas deserve the benefit of the doubt.

They did spend $1.4 billion of their own money for the franchise.

When players like Suh, Williams, and Dareus get signed, a lot of the money used to pay for their contracts comes via revenue sharing and TV advertising.

Each team in the NFL gets money from the NFL.

In other words, it's not really ALL of their own money they would be spending.

WagonCircler
03-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Methinks she's running the team...

"Methinks" you're dead wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

What makes you think he won't?

Is it his history of being cheap? Like that time when he only spent a piddly $1.4 BIL to buy the team?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 12:39 PM
At least they've all been to the playoffs and won a couple of Super Bowls to show for it.

Yeah, and what do they have that we don't?

YardRat
03-08-2015, 12:40 PM
The Pegulas deserve the benefit of the doubt.

They did spend $1.4 billion of their own money for the franchise.

When players like Suh, Williams, and Dareus get signed, a lot of the money used to pay for their contracts comes via revenue sharing and TV advertising.

Each team in the NFL gets money from the NFL.

In other words, it's not really ALL of their own money they would be spending.

So guessing that an owner is going to break bank is more relevant than one that already did. Got it.

- - - Updated - - -

"Methinks" you're dead wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

What makes you think he won't?

Is it his history of being cheap? Like that time when he only spent a piddly $1.4 BIL to buy the team?

See above.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Yeah, and what do they have that we don't?

Rings and a QB.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 12:43 PM
a QB.

Exactly.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 12:57 PM
So guessing that an owner is going to break bank is more relevant than one that already did. Got it.

Each NFL team gets an allotment of money from the NFL.

When a team like Miami signs a player like Ndamukong Suh, the owner of the Dolphins does not really pay for the contract.

The money comes from revenue sharing.

http://football.calsci.com/SalaryCap.html

About 2/3 of the NFL's money comes from the TV deal. The players get about 2/3 of team revenue. So, more or less, the TV contract goes to pay the players.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Each NFL team gets an allotment of money from the NFL.

When a team like Miami signs a player like Ndamukong Suh, the owner of the Dolphins does not really pay for the contract.

The money comes from revenue sharing.

http://football.calsci.com/SalaryCap.html

About 2/3 of the NFL's money comes from the TV deal. The players get about 2/3 of team revenue. So, more or less, the TV contract goes to pay the players.

You're convoluting points, the fact that Ralph already made Mario the highest paid defensive player in the league at the time (not the first time he's done that with a player, either) is compared to an owner that has yet to walk the walk and declare the newbie 'better' somehow has nothing to do with a simpleton's correlation that a specific revenue is earmarked for a specific expense.

Jimbuktu
03-08-2015, 01:16 PM
so funny how some people work SO DAMN HARD to find a way to ***** about this.

wmoz11
03-08-2015, 01:20 PM
What bewilders me about a minority of people on here is the thought that somehow spending money on McCoy is directly related to having a QB or not. Like they'd rather spend no money and not have a QB than spend money to improve the offense and not have a QB.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 01:27 PM
What bewilders me about a minority of people on here is the thought that somehow spending money on McCoy is directly related to having a QB or not. Like they'd rather spend no money and not have a QB than spend money to improve the offense and not have a QB.

Your avatar is awesome!

Is that the genetic hybrid result of Smurfette getting doinked by Cookie Monster?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KW3S0od5s5U/TP8Z8ypIolI/AAAAAAAAGDo/snXgxKw3EQ0/s1600/cookie+sitting.jpg

Jry44
03-08-2015, 01:47 PM

It's not your money, and you aren't assigned the task of figuring the Bills cap out, so don't worry about it.

People get WAY too worked up over salaries! We NEVER truly know the language and conditions associated with contracts. These things always have a way of working out in the end....

Dr. Who
03-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Your avatar is awesome!

Is that the genetic hybrid result of Smurfette getting doinked by Cookie Monster?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KW3S0od5s5U/TP8Z8ypIolI/AAAAAAAAGDo/snXgxKw3EQ0/s1600/cookie+sitting.jpg

You must be young. It's the Abominable Snowman from Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 01:54 PM
It's not your money, and you aren't assigned the task of figuring the Bills cap out, so don't worry about it.

People get WAY too worked up over salaries! We NEVER truly know the language and conditions associated with contracts. These things always have a way of working out in the end....

Why shouldn't I? We essentially dealt Alonso for an outrageously expensive 2-3 year halfback rental.

swiper
03-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Who is the capologist for the Bills right now?

wmoz11
03-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Why shouldn't I? We essentially dealt Alonso for an outrageously expensive 2-3 year halfback rental.

Nothing remotely close to "rental" about it, you left out "stud, game-changing" before halfback, and are talking like you know Kiko would have re-signed with the Bills. He's more of a rental than McCoy if we are talking years of control (albeit cheap).

Meathead
03-08-2015, 02:18 PM
abominable does have a nice rack tho

elroy16
03-08-2015, 02:22 PM

Under $6 million is outrageously expensive for a top 3 RB?

at the peak of the deal, he's under $10 million ,which again is far from outrageously expensive for a playmaker. He might not be around then and if he's cut, the dead money isn't that high.

just stop man. *****ing about mccoys contract makes no sense. If they need money to sign a QB, they can do it and pay for Dareus.

sudzy
03-08-2015, 04:27 PM
https://instagram.com/p/z-u_h_rXFU/

Looks like a guy that doesn't want to play for Buffalo?

Can't wait to see him in action.

WagonCircler
03-08-2015, 04:29 PM
You're convoluting points, the fact that Ralph already made Mario the highest paid defensive player in the league at the time (not the first time he's done that with a player, either) is compared to an owner that has yet to walk the walk and declare the newbie 'better' somehow has nothing to do with a simpleton's correlation that a specific revenue is earmarked for a specific expense.

Ralph was practically a vegetable when Mario was signed. And we have about 50 years of history prior to that one big splash to define his history as an owner, and to assess his net worth in relation to fellow owners.

Pegula gives the Bills an instant cash flow advantage over 90% of the teams in the league. Move like this, paying out cash and up front, mean nothing to him financially. They're pocket change. That was absolutely, indisputably not the case with Ralph.

better days
03-08-2015, 04:36 PM

The way that the contract is structured, it would be very easy to keep McCoy for the full 5 years if the Bills choose to do so.

Mouldsie
03-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Ralph was not cheap.
Terry is not cheap.

Ralph's front office was incompetent.
Terry's: jury is out.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 04:42 PM
The way that the contract is structured, it would be very easy to keep McCoy for the full 5 years if the Bills choose to do so.

I'm thinking that the Bills are going to draft a running back and have a 1, 2, 3 combo at the position with McCoy, the rookie, and Fred Jackson.

McCoy is at the point in his career where he can seriously benefit from not having to carry the ball 25 times a game.

The only way McCoy can play football until he's 32 is if the Bills have a running back by committee approach.

Night Train
03-08-2015, 04:42 PM
5.6 Mil is the reported cap hit.

Mouldsie
03-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Ralph was practically a vegetable when Mario was signed. And we have about 50 years of history prior to that one big splash to define his history as an owner, and to assess his net worth in relation to fellow owners.

Pegula gives the Bills an instant cash flow advantage over 90% of the teams in the league. Move like this, paying out cash and up front, mean nothing to him financially. They're pocket change. That was absolutely, indisputably not the case with Ralph.
None of this changes that a team is built through the draft.

See: Seattle, New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, NYG etc

justasportsfan
03-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Opiv chime in yet about how extravagantly foolish our owner is?

He's probably still in church praying to himself

feldspar
03-08-2015, 06:16 PM
None of this changes that a team is built through the draft.

See: Seattle, New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, NYG etc

Your point does not chance the MAIN point, which is that you need a friggin' quarterback.

WagonCircler
03-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Ralph was not cheap.
Terry is not cheap.

It's not about cheap or not cheap.

It's about having the means. Terry's got a Mount Everest of assets. Ralph had a molehill.

psubills62
03-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Shocking, they were able to lower his cap hit. It's not like anyone saw this coming.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 07:57 PM

Ralph made Bruce the highest paid defensive player in the game. He made Kelly the highest paid player in the league. Until Pegula sacks up and does the same, you should just STFU.

WagonCircler
03-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Ralph made Bruce the highest paid defensive player in the game. He made Kelly the highest paid player in the league. Until Pegula sacks up and does the same, you should just STFU.

$1.4 BIL. He paid the highest price for an entire FRANCHISE. He sacked up like Superman's ****** father. You need to shut the **** up and suck on this, *****.

YardRat
03-09-2015, 04:19 AM
$1.4 BIL. He paid the highest price for an entire FRANCHISE. He sacked up like Superman's ****** father. You need to shut the **** up and suck on this, *****.

Granted, he stepped up, paid bukko bucks for the team to keep them in Buffalo. That has nothing to do at all with your comment relative to player's salaries. Paying Bruce Smith top dollar to keep him...paying Jim Kelly top dollar to get him here...paying Mario top dollar to bring him in...those were the things that were possible thanks to Ralph Wilson.

Pegula is already on the clock with Dareus, so we'll see in short order if he's willing to do the same.

WagonCircler
03-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Granted, he stepped up, paid bukko bucks for the team to keep them in Buffalo. That has nothing to do at all with your comment relative to player's salaries. Paying Bruce Smith top dollar to keep him...paying Jim Kelly top dollar to get him here...paying Mario top dollar to bring him in...those were the things that were possible thanks to Ralph Wilson.

Pegula is already on the clock with Dareus, so we'll see in short order if he's willing to do the same.

Three ****ing players over 50 years makes him George Steinbrenner in your eyes? Get a grip.

As I stated earlier, you're getting your panties in a wad because you think people are calling Ralph cheap. This is about available resources, and it is a FACT that Pegula's cash reserves dwarf Ralph's. That's what make deals like the one that just happened infinitely easier. Pegula has it 100X easier guaranteeing cash for Shady to free up cap space for use than Ralph ever would have. This is a fact, whether it hurts your little sensitive feelings regarding St. Ralph or not.

Mr. Pink
03-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Cash to cap = Ralph wanted to pocket some of the TV dollars = he was cheap.

How anyone can see it any differently baffles me.

Ed
03-09-2015, 09:45 AM
McCoy's cap hits each year per overthecap.com:

2015 - 5.5 mil
2016 - 7.6 mil
2017 - 8.8 mil
2018 - 8.9 mil
2019 - 9.0 mil

I heard on the radio the other day that the cap is expected to jump to around $160 mil next year because of new tv deals. So I don't think McCoy's cap hits will seem as big in a few years and the dead money is fairly minimal in the last couple years.

wolfpack
03-10-2015, 03:12 PM
http://avatars.scribblelive.com/2013/8/23/ae9fd3db-df30-42ee-b878-d23dd81e4e30.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/wireless/frontend/images/scribble/twitter.pngMike RodakBills make LeSean McCoy trade official. You might have heard about it.