PDA

View Full Version : Should The Buffalo Bills Be Concerned About LeSean McCoy's Blocking?

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 01:47 PM
This is from 2012, so I'm wondering if anyone thinks he's gotten any better at pass blocking since then?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1349719-philadelphia-eagles-should-the-eagles-be-concerned-about-mccoys-blocking

<iframe width="630" height="354" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jQPAxiv1SKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Missed assignment.

"...interviews with players after the game would reveal that it was McCoy's assignment to block that blitzing defender."

black N yellow
03-08-2015, 02:00 PM
i wonder if anyone could be worse at blocking than Spiller.

OpIv37
03-08-2015, 02:05 PM

This. I don't know much about McCoy's blocking but it can't be worse than Spiller's

Mr. Pink
03-08-2015, 02:06 PM
How is that even close to a missed assignment by McCoy?

It looks he was designed to go over and block 51 on the Cardinals who also had no blocker.

If anything it's the fault of Vick for either not getting rid of the ball sooner or failing to notice Rhodes was gonna come free.

stuckincincy
03-08-2015, 02:09 PM
I suspect that given their OL and QB situation, they will continue use the crutch of calling pass plays featuring the minimum time from snap to launch, implemented from the Fitz days. Halfback blocking doesn't matter much, with that mindset.

justasportsfan
03-08-2015, 02:16 PM
From what I read, blocking may be the weakest part of his game but he's still decent at it for a rb

Lexwhat
03-08-2015, 02:58 PM
I live in Eagles land and follow the Eagles pretty closely (my #2 team behind the Bills). Although I don't know how McCoy's skill set will transfer to our Offense, I've always viewed him as a prototypical "complete" RB (who was a capable blocker in both Andy Reid and Chip Kelly's offenses).

Naturally, most RBs don't like to block, but I don't think McCoy has ever been a bad blocker. Fred Jackson is a better blocker, IMO, and we have been spoiled by that. I think we will see a drop off with McCoy as far as pass protection compared to Freddy, but hopefully a stronger O-Line can mitigate that downgrade. It won't be an issue.

Others can feel free to give their opinion as well.

kingJofNYC
03-08-2015, 03:27 PM
He's also not a quality receiver. According to PFF only three other running backs ran more pass routes than Lesean McCoy, yet 64 RBs had more receiving yards in 2014. Two down RB, making good money, why again did we make this move?

Guys like Fred Jackson, who can do it all, are rare, but Jackson is pretty much done.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 03:42 PM
The Cards sent seven against six blockers...get used to it, with Bowles in NY the Bills are going to see that. Was it a mis-read by McCoy? Probably, he had to choose between two guys and picked the wrong one...but, I would think under those circumstances the RB is taught to take the blind side rusher and the free man is on the QB. Regardless, yes, he needs to throw the occasional block and better be able to execute.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 03:44 PM
He's also not a quality receiver. According to PFF only three other running backs ran more pass routes than Lesean McCoy, yet 64 RBs had more receiving yards in 2014. Two down RB, making good money, why again did we make this move?

Yeah, that's not really a valid conclusion. I'd be more interested in how many times he was actually targeted as opposed just running a route. The above means nothing in terms of 'quality'.

kingJofNYC
03-08-2015, 03:50 PM
How often do you target receivers that aren't open? Bottom line, they sent him on routes, and he was relatively ineffective from a yardage standpoint. So either he's a decoy or ineffective in the pass game. We'll soon find out.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 03:54 PM
You have to believe McCoy can be better then he was in 2014 or else we got completely screwed.

lavuuk153
03-08-2015, 03:55 PM
How often do you target receivers that aren't open? Bottom line, they sent him on routes, and he was relatively ineffective from a yardage standpoint. So either he's a decoy or ineffective in the pass game. We'll soon find out.

Agree we'll find out soon. I'm sure there are teams that target their backs more and those that try to throw the ball downfield more. If he was rarely a primary or secondary target, it wouldn't surprise me he didn't have that many yards. I would guess that Chip Kelly's system is about spreading the ball around, which would explain why he thinks he can replace Shady's production with lesser talented players.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to believe McCoy can be better then he was in 2014 or else we got completely screwed.

Would you feel that way if Kiko only ends up being 80-85% of what he was post injury?

YardRat
03-08-2015, 03:59 PM

Who says he wasn't open and not thrown to? Decoys are necessary in play design also, what was total yardage gained on the plays he ran routes on regardless of who the receiver was? The guy caught 78 in '13, and has averaged 50 per over his first six years, 4 times cracking 48. Hell, that's 10 per season more than FJ, and last year was the first time he had more than 48. Freddies a pretty decent receiver IMO, but McCoy has better base stats.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Would you feel that way if Kiko only ends up being 80-85% of what he was post injury?

Yes, because Kiko at 80% is a solid starter or excellent reserve making 6 figures for the next three years.

kingJofNYC
03-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Thing is, Sproles had close to 400 yards receiving in a limited role. I do agree with you lavuuk, some teams do target backs more. With Andy Reid, who's fantastic at utilizing a back in the pass game, McCoy had close to 600 yards his sophomore year with over 70 receptions. 2013 he had over 500 yards as well, and over 10 yards per catch. Those are his two best years.

We'll see, lots of questions, they'll be answered soon enough.

Night Train
03-08-2015, 04:03 PM

At one time, that was Fred J.

I remember seeing him his first year here and telling others the next block he throws will be his first. Everyone went by him and I mean EVERYONE.

He made himself a good blocker with coaching and effort.

kingJofNYC
03-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Fred is a rare player, I'll miss him. Never had the career he should have, injuries and late start derailed what may have been. Will always ask myself what if, when it comes to Fred.

psubills62
03-08-2015, 07:29 PM
That is very worrisome. One play is a pretty huge sample size, after all.

Shady25
03-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Shady thinks McCoy was brought here to make plays, not block, he is decent enough at it that it will not be a glaring problem.

Goobylal
03-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Thing is, Sproles had close to 400 yards receiving in a limited role. I do agree with you lavuuk, some teams do target backs more. With Andy Reid, who's fantastic at utilizing a back in the pass game, McCoy had close to 600 yards his sophomore year with over 70 receptions. 2013 he had over 500 yards as well, and over 10 yards per catch. Those are his two best years.

We'll see, lots of questions, they'll be answered soon enough.
Prior to last year, he averaged 54 receptions, 425 yards, and 2 TDs a year. That's far from "not a quality receiver."