PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Garth Brooks to sing anthem at home opener

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2015, 04:57 PM
I've seen it a few places and was told a country station is reporting that he spent time with Kim Pegula and Rex Ryan and will sing the anthem at the opener

I'm not a big anthem guy, but this would be pretty cool for the Pegula's to pull this off. The national attention and relevance would be huge.

And, very possibly, make the game Sunday or Monday night

Night Train
03-08-2015, 05:03 PM
He is a big Okla. St. guy and worshiped Thurman and Barry Sanders.

There was some football clinic at the fieldhouse today that Brooks sponsors and he was shown there with Thurman,Kelly and many current Bills.

Brooks is at the Niagara Center doing 4 straight days of sold out shows. Not a country fan at all but he seems like a very decent guy.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 05:04 PM
You're not a big anthem guy?

Why not?

What's wrong with America's National Anthem?

DetDannyWilliams
03-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I've seen it a few places and was told a country station is reporting that he spent time with Kim Pegula and Rex Ryan and will sing the anthem at the opener

I'm not a big anthem guy, but this would be pretty cool for the Pegula's to pull this off. The national attention and relevance would be huge.

And, very possibly, make the game Sunday or Monday night

The Pegula's own their own major music co. also Black River Entertainment and guess where it's located Nsh, TN

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Chills up and down my spine.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N_lCmBvYMRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

better days
03-08-2015, 05:18 PM
If Garth is singing the National anthem you can bet the house it will be a National game.

I think the Pats*, Jets or Eagles is the opponent.

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 05:28 PM
If Garth is singing the National anthem you can bet the house it will be a National game.

I think the Pats*, Jets or Eagles is the opponent.

On Sunday Night against the Jets.

Bring back Faith!

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0iInrxVgA60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe Fo Sho
03-08-2015, 05:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ51oWbCMCs

This is the most badass national anthem I've seen in a long time.

THATHURMANATOR
03-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Enough with this Garth Brooks ****..

casdhf
03-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Chills up and down my spine.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N_lCmBvYMRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>not sure if we can dig her up or not

Downinfloflo
03-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Is he performing as Garth Brooks or Chris Gaines???

Night Train
03-08-2015, 05:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brooks-hall-fame-pals-hold-football-camp-buffalo-214659740--nfl.html

YardRat
03-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Well, if there ever was a theme song for the last 15 seasons, it's "I Got Friends in Low Places".

DraftBoy
03-08-2015, 06:15 PM
I was hoping for Eminem to welcome Shady to Buffalo...oh well.

YardRat
03-08-2015, 06:18 PM
He is a big Okla. St. guy and worshiped Thurman and Barry Sanders.

There was some football clinic at the fieldhouse today that Brooks sponsors and he was shown there with Thurman,Kelly and many current Bills.

Brooks is at the Niagara Center doing 4 straight days of sold out shows. Not a country fan at all but he seems like a very decent guy.

Garth has a foundation pairing up with athletes to raise money for kids http://www.teammatesforkids.net/ did it have anything to do with that?

Not a country music fan at all myself, but I went to the early gig on Friday...he puts on a pretty good show.

WagonCircler
03-08-2015, 06:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRCYcFpjbOY

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2015, 06:28 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sjzZh6-h9fM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2015, 06:32 PM
You're not a big anthem guy?

Why not?

What's wrong with America's National Anthem?

I just don't care if any national anthem is played. Especially before a sporting event

I go to see the game. Not for rah-rah USA USA USA stuff

BillsImpossible
03-08-2015, 06:32 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XffxvV1PAEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shady25
03-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Shady always cries at the Bills games, during the national anthem.

always gets Shady for some reason.

YardRat
03-09-2015, 04:34 AM
http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/photos/3769beb9c55a42439e945dbfa6cb4589/699684620289/

Night Train
03-09-2015, 04:39 AM
I just don't care if any national anthem is played. Especially before a sporting event

" Who Let The Dogs Out " is more than enough.

Sportsuser101
03-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Doesn't get much better then this

http://youtu.be/1TXPgMmzveo

Meathead
03-09-2015, 08:18 AM
great now ill have to take the wife / sister to the game

justasportsfan
03-09-2015, 08:19 AM
I'd rather have Katy Perry.

casdhf
03-09-2015, 09:35 AM

I really hope you mean wife/sista' .... wife/sister is very Tennessee-ish.

HAMMER
03-09-2015, 11:12 AM

I go to see the game. Not for rah-rah USA USA USA stuff

One of the lamest things I've ever seen posted on this board. Send this Commie packing, he doesn't deserve to be here.

WagonCircler
03-09-2015, 11:18 AM
I really hope you mean wife/sista' .... wife/sister is very Tennessee-ish.

And there's sister-wife, which is very Utah.

YardRat
03-09-2015, 01:03 PM

I took the wife/mother/sister-in-law to the concert. Sometimes you just have to nut-up and take one for the team.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Regardless of how you feel about Brooks, we can all agree...

THANK ****ING GOD IT'S NOT BON JOVI

better days
03-09-2015, 01:09 PM
I took the wife/mother/sister-in-law to the concert. Sometimes you just have to nut-up and take one for the team.

As far as Country singers go, we could do a lot worse than Garth Brooks IMO.

jimmifli
03-09-2015, 01:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRCYcFpjbOY

"America's most patriotic rock band"

Oh god.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/america-boner.gif

Meathead
03-09-2015, 02:13 PM
lmao

redneck incest joke gone terribly wrong lol

WagonCircler
03-09-2015, 06:56 PM
"America's most patriotic rock band"

Oh god.

Piss off America-hating Canadians--check.

OpIv37
03-09-2015, 07:00 PM
I don't care about singing the national anthem at sporting events.

It certainly doesn't bother me that they do it, but it wouldn't bother me if they stopped doing it. It gets ruined a lot by singers messing up the words, or some drunk forgetting to take off his hat, causing someone who's even drunker to yell "take off your ****ing hat, *******!" How patriotic and respectful.....

And Garth Brooks? Why?

stuckincincy
03-09-2015, 07:18 PM
I don't care about singing the national anthem at sporting events.

It certainly doesn't bother me that they do it, but it wouldn't bother me if they stopped doing it. It gets ruined a lot by singers messing up the words, or some drunk forgetting to take off his hat, causing someone who's even drunker to yell "take off your ****ing hat, *******!" How patriotic and respectful.....

And Garth Brooks? Why?

Brooks is a fine singer. He is far, far removed from behavior you ascribe to others.

OpIv37
03-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Brooks is a fine singer. He is far, far removed from behavior you ascribe to others.

What's your point?

I don't like his music, but he's far too popular to come out and sing a 90 second song. It's nothing but a sideshow.

I get it- they want to attract a wider audience and maybe some people who don't care about football that much will come out to see him. But I just want to see the game. All the other distractions are just noise.

stuckincincy
03-09-2015, 07:41 PM
What's your point?

I don't like his music, but he's far too popular to come out and sing a 90 second song. It's nothing but a sideshow.

I get it- they want to attract a wider audience and maybe some people who don't care about football that much will come out to see him. But I just want to see the game. All the other distractions are just noise.

It's all about OPIv37 - I get that. Why don't you walk around and hand over some $ to a few of the millions of folks who don't give a rat's fanny about the NFL, who pay for stadiums and increased cable/sat charges so you can just see the game.

jimmifli
03-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Piss off America-hating Canadians--check.

Oh I'm not pissed, mostly I was just like:
http://i.imgur.com/AGQG4FJ.gif

If I feel anything it's embarrassed for you. I mean they're actually worse than Nickelback. The cynic in me says they're just opportunists exploiting a market opportunity. But the cynic in me says they're true believers.

Either way it's really bad.

WagonCircler
03-10-2015, 01:29 AM
Oh I'm not pissed, mostly I was just like:
http://i.imgur.com/AGQG4FJ.gif

If I feel anything it's embarrassed for you. I mean they're actually worse than Nickelback. The cynic in me says they're just opportunists exploiting a market opportunity. But the cynic in me says they're true believers.

Either way it's really bad.

Relax, Gord.

I posted it because it was an interesting, unusual take on the Star Spangled Banner. I don't know anything about them.

You Canadians and your inferiority complex is a never ending source of amusement. We get it. You hate us. We don't give a ****, and that pisses you off even more.

Meathead
03-10-2015, 04:42 AM
personally i like singing national anthems, even though i dont like ours. i prefer the canadian anthem cuz its positive, the american anthem is based on war. back in the day that probably meant something, now to me it just means we are reinforcing americas reputation as a war monger

even at that, it isnt one tenth as creepy as the pledge of allegiance. how can anybody do that and not be creeped out?

OpIv37
03-10-2015, 09:19 AM
It's all about OPIv37 - I get that. Why don't you walk around and hand over some $ to a few of the millions of folks who don't give a rat's fanny about the NFL, who pay for stadiums and increased cable/sat charges so you can just see the game.

It should be all about football.

When they do stuff like this, they show it's all about money.

justasportsfan
03-10-2015, 09:29 AM
It's all about OPIv37 - I get that.

TRUE!TRUE!

WagonCircler
03-10-2015, 10:15 AM
personally i like singing national anthems, even though i dont like ours. i prefer the canadian anthem cuz its positive, the american anthem is based on war. back in the day that probably meant something, now to me it just means we are reinforcing americas reputation as a war monger

even at that, it isnt one tenth as creepy as the pledge of allegiance. how can anybody do that and not be creeped out?

The ****ing Pledge of Allegiance wasn't written last week, and it wasn't written for coddled, soft, mind numbed media fed idiots. It was adopted during a time when the fate of the free world literally hung in the balance, and hundreds of thousands of men gave their lives to ensure that people like you could make idiotic comments without being killed for them.

OpIv37
03-10-2015, 10:32 AM
The ****ing Pledge of Allegiance wasn't written last week, and it wasn't written for coddled, soft, mind numbed media fed idiots. It was adopted during a time when the fate of the free world literally hung in the balance, and hundreds of thousands of men gave their lives to ensure that people like you could make idiotic comments without being killed for them.

The fate of the free world has nothing to do with forcing children to robotically chant an oath of loyalty written by the government.

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Ye Gods.

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2015, 10:39 AM
The fate of the free world has nothing to do with forcing children to robotically chant an oath of loyalty written by the government.

You're a 'Merica hating pinko Commie ***!

DraftBoy
03-10-2015, 10:42 AM
It should be all about football.

When they do stuff like this, they show it's all about money.

When has it ever been all about football in the last 20 years?

OpIv37
03-10-2015, 10:44 AM
When has it ever been all about football in the last 20 years?

Oh it hasn't been about football for quite some time. Maybe it never was. But they used to care enough to at least pretend that it was about football.

better days
03-10-2015, 10:58 AM

I would like to see America the Beautiful made the National anthem myself.

jimmifli
03-10-2015, 11:01 AM
mind numbed media fed idiots[/B]
Sorry, but actually it was written for them.

In 1891, Daniel Sharp Ford, the owner of the Youth's Companion, hired Bellamy to work with Ford's nephew James B. Upham in the magazine's premium department. In 1888, the Youth's Companion had begun a campaign to sell American flags to public schools as a premium to solicit subscriptions. For Upham and Bellamy, the flag promotion was more than merely a business move; under their influence, the Youth's Companion became a fervent supporter of the schoolhouse flag movement, which aimed to place a flag above every school in the nation. Four years later, by 1892, the magazine had sold American flags to approximately 26,000 schools. By this time the market was slowing for flags, but was not yet saturated.In 1892, Upham had the idea of using the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus reaching the Americas to further bolster the schoolhouse flag movement. The magazine called for a national Columbian Public School Celebration to coincide with the World's Columbian Exposition. A flag salute was to be part of the official program for the Columbus Day celebration to be held in schools all over America.
The Pledge was published in the September 8, 1892, issue of the magazine, and immediately put to use in the campaign. Bellamy went to speak to a national meeting of school superintendents to promote the celebration; the convention liked the idea and selected a committee of leading educators to implement the program, including the immediate past president of the National Education Association. Bellamy was selected as the chair. Having received the official blessing of educators, Bellamy's committee now had the task of spreading the word across the nation and of designing an official program for schools to follow on the day of national celebration. He structured the program around a flag-raising ceremony and his pledge.
His original Pledge read as follows:
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to* the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all"
(* 'to' added in October 1892).
The recital was accompanied with a salute to the flag known as the Bellamy salute, described in detail by Bellamy. During World War II, the salute was replaced with a hand-over-heart gesture because the original form involved stretching the arm out towards the flag in a manner that resembled the later Nazi salute. (For a history of the pledge, see Pledge of Allegiance).
In 1954, in response to the perceived threat of secular Communism, President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words "under God," creating the 31-word pledge that is recited today.[5]
Bellamy commented on his thoughts as he created the pledge, and his reasons for choosing the careful wording:
"It began as an intensive communing with salient points of our national history, from the Declaration of Independence onwards; with the makings of the Constitution... with the meaning of the Civil War; with the aspiration of the people...
"The true reason for allegiance to the Flag is the 'republic for which it stands'. ...And what does that last thing, the Republic mean? It is the concise political word for the Nation – the One Nation which the Civil War was fought to prove. To make that One Nation idea clear, we must specify that it is indivisible, as Webster and Lincoln used to repeat in their great speeches. And its future?
"Just here arose the temptation of the historic slogan of the French Revolution which meant so much to Jefferson and his friends, 'Liberty, equality, fraternity'. No, that would be too fanciful, too many thousands of years off in realization. But we as a nation do stand square on the doctrine of liberty and justice for all..."
Bellamy "viewed his Pledge as an 'inoculation' that would protect immigrants and native-born but insufficiently patriotic Americans from the 'virus' of radicalism and subversion."[6]

Pretty much just a marketing campaign to sell some flags to mind number media fed idiots. It's a shame the Bellamy Salute didn't stick around, it looked like fun.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/Bellamy_salute_1915.jpg/640px-Bellamy_salute_1915.jpg

WagonCircler
03-10-2015, 11:03 AM

In 1942, it was important to state what side you were on.

And all of this pissing on the military is nothing more than a gaggle of ******s who have zero appreciation for the liberty that was WON for them.

Maybe you slept through history class, but mass genocide was going on in 1942, and the evil mother****ers who were conducting it had a plan to take over the world. And no, not in a funny ha-ha Dr. Evil way, they were literally rolling into countries, taking them over one by one, and had no intention of stopping.

You bleeding heart *****es can piss all over the military, but they stopped those evil *****s in their tracks, and thereby made your very existence possible.

So snark it up, boys! You have no idea how stupid you sound.

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2015, 11:16 AM

Tee Hee. Snicker. Giggle

Guffaw

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2015, 11:18 AM
And who was pissing on the military?

OpIv37
03-10-2015, 11:33 AM

And all of this pissing on the military is nothing more than a gaggle of ******s who have zero appreciation for the liberty that was WON for them.

Maybe you slept through history class, but mass genocide was going on in 1942, and the evil mother****ers who were conducting it had a plan to take over the world. And no, not in a funny ha-ha Dr. Evil way, they were literally rolling into countries, taking them over one by one, and had no intention of stopping.

You bleeding heart *****es can piss all over the military, but they stopped those evil *****s in their tracks, and thereby made your very existence possible.

I sound stupid? You equated not liking the pledge with pissing in the military and you said people had to state which side they were on during WWII, as if the country was full of Nazi sympathizers when the reality is that the country mobilized to support the war effort in an unprecedented level. And you accuse me of sleeping through history class?

So far, all you've done is shoot off a bunch of emotional rhetoric full of non-sequitirs.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-10-2015, 12:48 PM
What does the pledge of allegiance have to do with the military?

Buffalogic
03-10-2015, 12:54 PM
This is getting sad.

jimmifli
03-10-2015, 01:53 PM

In 1942 some countries had been doing more than just saluting a flag for the last three years. Nobody's pissing all over the military.

WagonCircler
03-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Nobody's pissing all over the military.

now to me it just means we are reinforcing americas reputation as a war monger

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2015, 03:23 PM
That's not pissing on the military.

That's pissing on our leadership

WagonCircler
03-10-2015, 03:28 PM

America the "war monger" saved the world from tyranny. Also staved off the threat of worldwide Communism. Our military is the only thing that stands between us and worldwide chaos. It keeps the peace and maintains liberty.

Worthwhile mongering.

better days
03-10-2015, 03:49 PM
I sound stupid? You equated not liking the pledge with pissing in the military and you said people had to state which side they were on during WWII, as if the country was full of Nazi sympathizers when the reality is that the country mobilized to support the war effort in an unprecedented level. And you accuse me of sleeping through history class?

So far, all you've done is shoot off a bunch of emotional rhetoric full of non-sequitirs.

There were a number of German & Japanese sympathizers in this Country at the time of World War 2.

better days
03-10-2015, 03:53 PM

So our leadership wrote the pledge of allegiance & National Anthem?

YardRat
03-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Should I move this thread to the Spin Zone so nobody is pissing all over the football forum?

BertSquirtgum
03-10-2015, 04:03 PM
I just took a big dump. It felt good.

OpIv37
03-10-2015, 05:01 PM
America the "war monger" saved the world from tyranny. Also staved off the threat of worldwide Communism. Our military is the only thing that stands between us and worldwide chaos. It keeps the peace and maintains liberty.

Worthwhile mongering.
The specter of communism was an illusion. They were never the threat that the government and media said they were. And our government did things that we would find appalling if other countries did to us, like lead coups to overthrow governments and assassinate leaders of other countries.

X-Era
03-10-2015, 05:02 PM
WHO GIVES A FLYING ****!!!!

Sorry. Had to get that out.

Mahdi
03-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Can we move this... FA opening today and all...

OpIv37
03-10-2015, 05:05 PM
There were a number of German & Japanese sympathizers in this Country at the time of World War 2.

Not so many that people had to pledge their loyalty to prove they were on our side.

X-Era
03-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Unfortunately that ____ Lec started this thread so we're stuck as long as he allows it to stay here.

:D:

better days
03-10-2015, 10:37 PM
Not so many that people had to pledge their loyalty to prove they were on our side.

Really?

Internment camps were set up to keep 110,000 - 120,000 Japanese, over 60% of which were American citizens, isolated.

Dr. Lecter
03-11-2015, 05:41 AM
Hey look - It's random irrelevant point man!

OpIv37
03-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Really?

Internment camps were set up to keep 110,000 - 120,000 Japanese, over 60% of which were American citizens, isolated.

And they were interned with ZERO evidence that they were aiding the enemy. The government feared that they would side with the Japanese based on nothing more than their nationality. So, internment really has nothing to do with this topic.

better days
03-11-2015, 05:02 PM
And they were interned with ZERO evidence that they were aiding the enemy. The government feared that they would side with the Japanese based on nothing more than their nationality. So, internment really has nothing to do with this topic.

Sure it does.

The Japanese were interned for the same reason the government wanted people to pledge their loyalty.