PDA

View Full Version : Best trade in Bills history?

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2015, 10:06 AM
I usually hate when people make the statement that something current is the worst or best in team history (i.e. none of the current wave of QBs are the worst in team history, none of the current wave of coaches are worse than Harvey Johnson or Hank Bullough, etc.)

But is the Sheppard for Hughes trade the best in team history?

It has to be up there - especially now that Hughes is signed for 5 years (in his prime) and Sheppard was cut by the Colts in his second year.

HHURRICANE
03-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Umm not better than Corneiius Bennett trade.

justasportsfan
03-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Marshawn Lynch for a 4th.

Oh wait, we lost out on that one. Nevermind

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2015, 10:09 AM
In terms of value, it might be.

They gave up a lot to get Bennet. He was a great player.

They gave up essentially nothing to get Hughes.

Skooby
03-09-2015, 10:10 AM
If Hughes continues to perform, this would be it.

casdhf
03-09-2015, 10:10 AM
At the time, it was a bust for bust trade. We got lucky that Hughes was a late bloomer.

mightysimi
03-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Well it's definitely the biggest fleecing in Bills History.

Mr. Pink
03-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Bills trading Tom Cousineau to Cleveland for Cleveland's first round pick in 1983 which turned into Jim Kelly.

Cousineau was a flop and well everyone knows what Kelly was.

Easily the best trade in Bills history.

Interesting sidenote - OJ Simpson basically turned into Jim Kelly. Simpson was traded for the pick that acquired Cousineau.

Mr. Miyagi
03-09-2015, 10:47 AM
1st for Rob Johnson :ill:

Historian
03-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Jack Kemp for 100 dollars.

Sorry.

chernobylwraiths
03-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Umm not better than Corneiius Bennett trade.

How can you say that? We gave up two number 1 draft choices and one second rounder in addition to our starting running back. That was a huge amount to give up. I know Bennett was very good, but don't think you can say it is a better trade than getting a guy like Hughes who is now being paid 9 mil a season for a guy who is basically doing nothing in the NFL.

chernobylwraiths
03-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Bills trading Tom Cousineau to Cleveland for Cleveland's first round pick in 1983 which turned into Jim Kelly.

Interesting sidenote - OJ Simpson basically turned into Jim Kelly. Simpson was traded for the pick that acquired Cousineau.

Considering the Bills drafted Cousineau first overall in the draft and he decided to play in the CFL, it isn't that great. Plus, you never know what the draft pick is going to be. For instance, the Bills drafted a sure fire great TE from Notre Dame with their pick 2 picks earlier and the guy never materialized into a good NFL player. Concidentally, the pick we got for Cousineau also didn't come play for the Bills and went to a rival league. Is that irony too, I never can tell?

stuckincincy
03-09-2015, 11:02 AM
When I lived in PGH, I enjoyed seeing the Steelers getting fleeced with the Paul Seymour - Frank Lewis trade. :clap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Lewis_%28American_football%29

YardRat
03-09-2015, 11:23 AM
The Bennett trade may have been exciting, and Biscuit was very good, but as things turned out it may be closer to a bad trade than a good one.

swiper
03-09-2015, 11:46 AM
I usually hate when people make the statement that something current is the worst or best in team history (i.e. none of the current wave of QBs are the worst in team history, none of the current wave of coaches are worse than Harvey Johnson or Hank Bullough, etc.)

But is the Sheppard for Hughes trade the best in team history?

It has to be up there - especially now that Hughes is signed for 5 years (in his prime) and Sheppard was cut by the Colts in his second year.

Well the thing is we could probably get Sheppard back too, if we wanted him. LOL.

swiper
03-09-2015, 11:48 AM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2010/04/tomc-42210-200-1271948657.jpg

Night Train
03-09-2015, 11:52 AM
How can you say that? We gave up two number 1 draft choices and one second rounder in addition to our starting running back. That was a huge amount to give up. I know Bennett was very good, but don't think you can say it is a better trade than getting a guy like Hughes who is now being paid 9 mil a season for a guy who is basically doing nothing in the NFL.

Bennett was good but Talley was far better. Yet Bennett got all the pub. Never understood that.

k-oneputt
03-09-2015, 12:04 PM
I love Talley but he wasn't better then Bennett.

Night Train
03-09-2015, 12:08 PM
I love Talley but he wasn't better then Bennett.

Talley was FAR more productive than Bennett, who was washed away on many a sweep play but I guess we'll agree to disagree.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Bennett was good but Talley was far better. Yet Bennett got all the pub. Never understood that.

i was very young during those years, but my memory is that Bennett was a lot more 'exciting' due to his quickness, etc which is probably why he got more pub/cred than talley.

psubills62
03-09-2015, 06:14 PM
I think we just need to trade with the Colts more often.

They got fleeced by Buffalo (Hughes) and Cleveland (Trent Richardson). I mean, it's great that they tanked to pick the guy a deaf bat could have drafted, but they're not looking great so far.

X-Era
03-09-2015, 06:22 PM
TE Bobby Collins for .... Yeah. Nevermind.

The Jokeman
03-09-2015, 06:29 PM
TE Bobby Collins for .... Yeah. Nevermind.

David Bowens has a pretty decent career too bad we didn't keep him.

I'm shocked no one mentioned Marlin Briscoe for a 1st Rounder that ended up being Joe DeLamielleure.

stuckincincy
03-09-2015, 06:34 PM

I'm shocked no one mentioned Marlin Briscoe for a 1st Rounder that ended up being Joe DeLamielleure.

Didn't know that. I'm a big fan of Briscoe - his life story is something...

The Jokeman
03-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Didn't know that. I'm a big fan of Briscoe - his life story is something...

I am too young to remember it but remember reading it from this https://books.google.com/books?id=ycfqAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA176&lpg=PA176&dq=buffalo+bills+trades+history&source=bl&ots=FivhQKDVGa&sig=b0lh6kR6j52qTYHFc8hILvEYMnE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=hjf-VNOTIKbIsQS__YCIAw&ved=0CE0Q6AEwCDgU#v=onepage&q=joe%20del&f=false

X-Era
03-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Chris Watson for a pair of punt catcher gloves

stuckincincy
03-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Chris Watson for a pair of punt catcher gloves

They should have done the young man a favor and made him an appointment with an optician.

sukie
03-09-2015, 10:11 PM
I cannot scoff at what was given up for Bennett without playing the outcome... Four sb trips.
hughes is a nice player but I would forgo 1sts for a couple of bowl trips.

HHURRICANE
03-10-2015, 06:03 AM
The Bennett trade may have been exciting, and Biscuit was very good, but as things turned out it may be closer to a bad trade than a good one.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this board.

Bennett was the second pick in the draft. That was the trade that sent Bell out and Dickerson to the Colts.

Bennett was a Pro-bowler 5 out of his first 7 years with us. Second best player to get drafted out of Alabama after Namath at the time.

Now Talley is better? Talley was underrated....not better at the time.

BTW it was regarded as the "trade of the decade."

Historian
03-10-2015, 07:10 AM

Good one Jokeman.

Briscoe was a pretty valuable commodity though. Led the AFC in 1970. Fast as grease lightning. Part of that undefeated Dolphin team....Shula had an eye for unpolished gems.

Albany,n.y.
03-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Even though it ended up with the drafting of McGahee, trading Peerless Price for a #1 pick to Atlanta was a steal.