PDA

View Full Version : Cap number after Hughes signing - what's next?

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2015, 11:04 AM
According to a few places on Twitter, the number I've seen is about $15 million.

While I'm not sure of the accuracy, it doesn't sound unreasonable.

So, the Bills can still:

1. Sign a guard with a 4 million hit.
2. Sign a TE with a 5 million hit.
3. Sign rookies with a 3 million hit.
4. Sign the RFAs and ERFA with about a 3 million hit

And still have 2 million to play with.

Note, this is without creating space by cutting somebody (Urbik, Williams, a RB, Chandler, etc) or restructuring a deal (I.e Mario)

The next few days could still be interesting.

EDS
03-09-2015, 11:09 AM
I wonder about signing or drafting a true nose tackle depending on how much 3-4 they intend to run.

justasportsfan
03-09-2015, 11:10 AM
According to a few places on Twitter, the number I've seen is about $15 million.

Thats reserved for Peyton Manning.

psubills62
03-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Not sure who they'll sign, but based on the rumors, it's clear they are going to go after OL. Will be interesting to see who they end up with.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Chris Williams was still on the team to start the season. Seems like an obvious cut to create more space.

Mr. Miyagi
03-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Give me Jah Reid and Jordan Cameron and we're done.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I read somewhere that we tendered Lee Smith?

WHY???

YardRat
03-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Might want to check your math, Doc, the "$2mil to play with" brings the total to $17mil.

Mr. Miyagi
03-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Might want to check your math, Doc, the "$2mil to play with" brings the total to $17mil.
*Lecter taking off his socks to do a recount*

SpikedLemonade
03-09-2015, 12:19 PM

So, the Bills can still:

Note, this is without creating space by cutting somebody (Urbik, Williams, a RB, Chandler, etc) or restructuring a deal (I.e Mario)

Screw the $5M on a TE.

Cut Urbik and Williams (total $5M saved) and use $14M on 2 elite OLs.

better days
03-09-2015, 12:32 PM
I think the next player signed by the Bills will be TE Charles Clay formerly with the Fins.

Saratoga Slim
03-09-2015, 02:18 PM
I think the next player signed by the Bills will be TE Charles Clay formerly with the Fins.

I agree. I also think we make a serious run at either Iupati or Bulaga. That would be enough for me!

My question is what our cap is going to look like for 2016, 2017 etc. I'm hoping we're saving room for Dareus and a QB.

MikeInRoch
03-09-2015, 02:26 PM
*Lecter taking off his socks to do a recount*

Be happy it's just his socks.

Ed
03-09-2015, 02:32 PM
I agree. I also think we make a serious run at either Iupati or Bulaga. That would be enough for me!

My question is what our cap is going to look like for 2016, 2017 etc. I'm hoping we're saving room for Dareus and a QB.
As of right now:

2016 - 41 players under contract for a total of $106 mil.

2017 - 18 players under contract for a total of $74 mil.

EDS
03-09-2015, 02:39 PM
As of right now:

2016 - 41 players under contract for a total of $106 mil.

2017 - 18 players under contract for a total of $74 mil.

Those numbers look good until you consider that they do not include Dareus, Gilmore or Glenn, amongst others.

ct bills fan
03-09-2015, 02:57 PM
17m under the cap now.
-Cut Urbik = +3m
-Cut Williams (guard) = +2m
-Trade McKelvin = +2m
-Restructure Cassel = +2m
= 26m under the cap (might be other cuts that can add to it).

What to do now (fantasy, but....)
-sign Revis, 3 years 42M, fully guaranteed - 20m signing bonus, 2 million year one salary, 10m year 2 and year 3 salary = year one cap hit of 8.8m
-Offer sheet Clay, 5 years, 35m = 15m signing bonus, 2m 1st year salary = 5.5m year on cap hit
-Sign Iupati, 4 years $34m; 15m signing bonus, 2m 1st year salary = 5.75m year one cap hit
-Sign a veteran receiver for $3m cap hit
-2.95m left over for rookies and didn't even have to restructure Mario

Would this screw us for next year when we have to sign Dareus, Gilmore, Bradham and Glenn? Maybe, but, maybe not as the cap with be going up significantly next year. Anyway, I'll worry about next year when I'm gazing at my Buffalo Bill Vince Lombari trophy!!

jimmifli
03-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Those numbers look good until you consider that they do not include Dareus, Gilmore or Glenn, amongst others.
Dareus is already at 8, he goes to 13 or 14. Not that big a deal.

Gilmore is at $4, that probably goes to $10ish.

Glenn is at $1.5, that one's going to hurt. He probably gets over $8.

Bradham is at $1.6. Probably gets over $5.

So all totalled that's +$22 give or take, those numbers may go up if this offseason gets crazy (it might with teams being forced to spend to the floor).

stuckincincy
03-09-2015, 03:11 PM

So, the Bills can still:

They seem to be planning on not devoting $ to a reserve in case of seasonal injury replacement. I'm having trouble seeing how they are going to sign a Dareus and others come the 2016 season. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell off more draft picks to plow the rookie cap money back into this FA frenzy.

Looks like they are going all in and the future will take care of itself...

EDS
03-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Dareus is already at 8, he goes to 13 or 14. Not that big a deal.

Gilmore is at $4, that probably goes to $10ish.

Glenn is at $1.5, that one's going to hurt. He probably gets over $8.

Bradham is at $1.6. Probably gets over $5.

So all totalled that's +$22 give or take, those numbers may go up if this offseason gets crazy (it might with teams being forced to spend to the floor).

No doubt the delta between what those guys are paid now and what they will be paid under new deals is less than the aggregate annual salaries, but I do not think the $106+ million number for 2016 includes any money for those 4 players, so from a cap perspective all their money would be additive (obviously just in terms of what the cap hit is for 2016).

Ed
03-09-2015, 03:26 PM
That's typical for every team though. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have key players scheduled to become free agents over the next couple years. Keep in mind that those numbers also include some significant cap hits for guys that likely won't be on the team, i.e. Urbik and Chris Williams.

The cap is expected to go up significantly next year also. If they want to re-sign their own players they should be able to. A lot can change in the next couple years, but as long as they don't have a franchise qb on the books they shouldn't have problems re-signing guys.

jimmifli
03-09-2015, 03:42 PM
No doubt the delta between what those guys are paid now and what they will be paid under new deals is less than the aggregate annual salaries, but I do not think the $106+ million number for 2016 includes any money for those 4 players, so from a cap perspective all their money would be additive (obviously just in terms of what the cap hit is for 2016).
I think the delta is more helpful. By the time the season starts we will have spent to the cap. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME! In order to retain the most expensive core players that expire we will need to find an additional $22 million in cap space. I don't expect the cap to go up by $22 million next year, so that money must come from somewhere. Some players will need to go.

From now on, we will be tight against the cap and it will be a struggle to sign everyone we need to. That's much better than it used to be when we didn't sign our guys, and we didn't sign their guys either.

I wasn't to suggesting a $102 +$22 scenario, but I can see how some would read it that way.

X-Era
03-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Urbik is gone. 15 becomes 18.3. Sportrac has us at 16 right now.

I think we land a guy like Clay for 7 per with a hit of 5 year 1.

I think Iupati is in play at 8-9 per with a hit of 7.5

Brings us to 12.5 of the 18.3 and leaves almost 6.

Rookies cost another 3.2

Leaves us almost 3 to work with before any other moves. Mario has a 19.4 cap number which could easily buy us almost 10 if we wanted to redo it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Money is not an issue still to make a splash.

Don't count out Revis...

SpikedLemonade
03-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Clay was Transition Tagged right?

EDS
03-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Urbik is gone. 15 becomes 18.3. Sportrac has us at 16 right now.

I think we land a guy like Clay for 7 per with a hit of 5 year 1.

I think Iupati is in play at 8-9 per with a hit of 7.5

Brings us to 12.5 of the 18.3 and leaves almost 6.

Rookies cost another 3.2

Leaves us almost 3 to work with before any other moves. Mario has a 19.4 cap number which could easily buy us almost 10 if we wanted to redo it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Money is not an issue still to make a splash.

Don't count out Revis...

Guess they can draft someone to back-up Wood at center.

X-Era
03-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Guess they can draft someone to back-up Wood at center.I'm not worried at all about Wood. Some are. I'm not.

better days
03-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Clay was Transition Tagged right?

Yeah. $7.3 Mill for the year.

So the Bills will have to offer him a multi year deal the Fins don't want to match.

That should be no problem after they signed Suh to that huge contract.

stuckincincy
03-09-2015, 04:44 PM
I think the new BUF money model is...quantitative easing. :scooter: