PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A. Smith: Chip Kelly a racist

Meathead
03-09-2015, 01:29 PM
"Chip Kelly makes decisions over the last couple of years that, dare I say, leave a few brothers feeling uncomfortable,” Smith said. “I think that’s fair to say. I mean, we’re sitting here looking at some of the decisions that Chip Kelly makes and I’m like what is up? What’s up with that? I mean, it’s like you’ve got to be his kind of guy, you know? And I’m like, well, Riley Cooper’s your kind of guy?”

By mentioning Cooper, Smith was implying that Kelly is OK with the fact that Cooper used the N-word in a much-publicized video in 2013. The truth is Kelly was not OK with that; the Eagles fined Cooper and sent him home from training camp. But Cooper’s continued presence on the team — combined with the release of a few high-profile black players — makes Smith question Kelly’s motives. According to Smith, Kelly isn’t only looking for players who fit into his system on the field. Kelly is also looking for players who fit into the culture that Kelly wants in his locker room, and Smith questions what kind of culture that is.

“Let’s get beyond the system, the operative word is ‘culture,'” Smith said. “The culture is what resonates with me more profoundly because I’m looking at a Chip Kelly and I’m like, really? Now, you’ve got to remember, where did I work for 16 years? I mean, this is Philadelphia. You understand what I’m saying? I’m always in Philly, and I’m telling you right now you’ve got people walking the streets and, hell with it, you’ve got brothers walking the streets going like ‘What’s up with Chip? I don’t understand this. I really don’t understand what you’re doing.’ Now I’m not saying I know, I’m just saying that it does strike me as a tad bit odd. I’m going to repeat this. Gone: LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin, you know, DeSean Jackson. Staying: Riley Cooper. Really? Really? OK.”

Kelly has made dozens of personnel decisions with the Eagles, but Smith seems to see sinister motives in three of them: trading McCoy, letting Maclin walk away in free agency, and releasing Jackson. Smith, of course, failed to mention some of the white veterans Kelly has released, like James Casey and Todd Herremans, because that would undermine Smith’s thesis.

Smith also failed to mention that the player Kelly acquired in the McCoy trade, Kiko Alonso, is Latino. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly just signed to a new contract, Mark Sanchez, is of Mexican-American heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly desperately wants to draft, Marcus Mariota, is of Samoan heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the cornerback Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Byron Maxwell, is black. And Smith fails to mention that the running back Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Frank Gore, is black. If Kelly is a racist who wants to build a roster full of white guys, he’s doing a spectacularly bad job of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/espns-stephen-a-smith-suggests-racism-in-chip-kellys-roster-moves/

if we were consistent with our race issue processing, mr. smith would be facing a month long suspension at the very least and really should be fired

for the record, i DONT think he should be fired, but we shouldnt have taken huge things away from the fat old white ***** or the dumb old white gazillionare either. just another mega-obvious separate rules disaster

what could possibly go wrong?

YardRat
03-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Well, he stopped short of calling Kelly a Winnie the Pooh-looking mother****er, at least.

Pinkerton Security
03-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Stephen A Smith talks too much. This is simply an opinion, and a skewed one at that.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-09-2015, 01:39 PM
First Take is a useless waste of oxygen. And this is all about Cooper. Pretending its about anyone else is just silly.

Meathead
03-09-2015, 02:09 PM
this is a good test to see where we are as a culture. lets see what happens. most likely nothing but at some point we have to start directly addressing this imbalance. i hope it is now

OpIv37
03-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Wtf? If Kelly is racist, why did he take a job where he's going to have to deal with young black males on a daily basis?

If he wanted an all white roster, he should have coached hockey or lacrosse.

Downinfloflo
03-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Well, he stopped short of calling Kelly a Winnie the Pooh-looking mother****er, at least.

Looks more like piglet to me...:laughing:

DraftBoy
03-09-2015, 05:11 PM
First Take is a useless waste of oxygen. And this is all about Cooper. Pretending its about anyone else is just silly.

All about ratings and hot takes.

mightysimi
03-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Man signing Gore and Maxwell, he is so racist.

swiper
03-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Stephen A. Smith is a jerk's jerk.

mightysimi
03-09-2015, 05:36 PM
On further inspection he is most likely an idiot as opposed to racist. Getting rid of your best offensive player 2 years in a row doesn't seem to be a recipe for success. Or he is a super genius. Also, being that probably 80% or higher of the league is black, you could probably find a few coaches who only released black players in the last couple of seasons. That's a numbers game. Also not racial.

sudzy
03-09-2015, 05:51 PM
He's Steve Spurrier 2.0. It's his system that wins not the players. He'll be back coaching NCAA in a few years.

casdhf
03-09-2015, 08:03 PM
I heard he wanted Russell Wilson. We all know he isn't black enough.

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2015, 05:43 AM
if we were consistent with our race issue processing, mr. smith would be facing a month long suspension at the very least and really should be fired

for the record, i DONT think he should be fired, but we shouldnt have taken huge things away from the fat old white ***** or the dumb old white gazillionare either. just another mega-obvious separate rules disaster

what could possibly go wrong?

Well, the things you are comparing it to are completely different (par for the course with you)

that being said, Smith is an idiot.

The only person worse than him on TV is Skip Bayless. Thank the lord they host a show together.

Night Train
03-10-2015, 06:11 AM
I don't mind someone playing the racist card when it actually does apply.

So often, it doesn't and when you launch a grenade like that, you better be sure with your facts, rather than trying to connect some loose dots.

Some think because they are the person of color, they are teflon and nothing can possibly stick to them. Arrogance of the highest order and their word is basically moot after a feeble attempt at creating a fake situation/scenerio in order to preach from the pulpit.

Smith has failed at this before.

OpIv37
03-10-2015, 06:51 AM
Also false claims of racism make it easier to dismiss real claims of racism.
I used to work with a guy who was a complete moron, but every time he got reprimanded, he claimed the manager was racist and he would get moved to another division.

Yet, every manager that he claimed was racist managed other black people without any complaints and most had actually promoted black people. So everyone knew this guy was full of **** but no one wanted to deal with that charge of racism.

So, of course people became skeptical about claims of racism when some of them may have been legit.

Historian
03-10-2015, 07:06 AM
I don't mind someone playing the racist card when it actually does apply.

So often, it doesn't and when you launch a grenade like that, you better be sure with your facts, rather than trying to connect some loose dots.

Great point.

Some think because they are the person of color, they are teflon and nothing can possibly stick to them.

I believe this is the essence of Meat's overall argument.

Also false claims of racism make it easier to dismiss real claims of racism.

So, of course people became skeptical about claims of racism when some of them may have been legit.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better myself, OP.

Forward_Lateral
03-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Meathead makes a great point. Rich old white dude makes racist remarks, gets practically crucified, is forced out of his own NBA franchise. Young black reporter throws accusations of a white coach being a racist based purely on his "speculation", and nothing will happen.

I'm all for ending racism, and all that crap, but it can't only be a one way street.

Meathead
03-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Well, the things you are comparing it to are completely different

my confidence is low this wont be a waste of time but pls try to elaborate. unemotionally.

Meathead
03-10-2015, 08:29 AM
wow

most of you guys are talking like me ten years ago

now if i can only get you to where i am now instead of another ten years from now

we have to start by holding ppl like mr. smith and mr. sherman accountable. we do this right here, and at work, and at our dinner tables. talk to ppl you know about this, especially black ppl. expect them to get mad, you will have to continue and work thru that. you are on the side of right, of morality, of intelligence, of truth, justice, and the american way :superman:

ive been doing this a long time. now that the light is finally ****ing starting to shine, i could use a little help

Meathead
03-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Rich old white dude makes racist remarks, gets practically crucified, is forced out of his own NBA franchise. Young black reporter throws accusations of a white coach being a racist based purely on his "speculation", and nothing will happen.

I'm all for ending racism, and all that crap, but it can't only be a one way street.<object width="16" height="16" class="hark_player">
<param name="movie" value="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_32x32.swf?pid=npvjvswvqd"/>
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/>
<param name="allownetworking" value="all"/>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
<embed src="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_32x32.swf?pid=npvjvswvqd" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" width="32" height="32" wmode="transparent"></embed>
</object>

Meathead
03-10-2015, 08:51 AM
my term for those ppl, btw, is 'one-way niggas'. doesnt matter the race of the offender, if they see racism in only one direction they are a one-way nigga

btw, most of you people are still one-way niggas

chernobylwraiths
03-10-2015, 10:36 AM
I don't see what Smith said as more than slightly racist. To imply racism is a little racist, but it doesn't come up to the standard of racism as other names mentioned here do. To use the N-word in general conversation, especially derrogatorily at a black person or in general conversation with only white people racist. That's pretty, if you pardon the pun, black and white. I think Riley Cooper might be the most racist of the bunch.

Should Steven A be suspended for implying a coach is racist? Maybe he should. The only way his argument holds any validity is if Cooper makes a salary fairly close to that of any of the three mentioned talents.

I just don't know where this argument comes from? Mainly it is because I don't like to read more than a few paragraphs if the content is repetative or is content I don't agree fully with. Do some blacks get away with being racist? Absolutely. Do some blacks lie when it comes to some of these sensational events involving police? Absolutely.

Now I will go PC and apologize for the use of "blacks" as denomination of race, it is how I have always refered to African Americans.