• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Stephen A. Smith: Chip Kelly a racist

"Chip Kelly makes decisions over the last couple of years that, dare I say, leave a few brothers feeling uncomfortable,” Smith said. “I think that’s fair to say. I mean, we’re sitting here looking at some of the decisions that Chip Kelly makes and I’m like what is up? What’s up with that? I mean, it’s like you’ve got to be his kind of guy, you know? And I’m like, well, Riley Cooper’s your kind of guy?”

By mentioning Cooper, Smith was implying that Kelly is OK with the fact that Cooper used the N-word in a much-publicized video in 2013. The truth is Kelly was not OK with that; the Eagles fined Cooper and sent him home from training camp. But Cooper’s continued presence on the team — combined with the release of a few high-profile black players — makes Smith question Kelly’s motives. According to Smith, Kelly isn’t only looking for players who fit into his system on the field. Kelly is also looking for players who fit into the culture that Kelly wants in his locker room, and Smith questions what kind of culture that is.

“Let’s get beyond the system, the operative word is ‘culture,'” Smith said. “The culture is what resonates with me more profoundly because I’m looking at a Chip Kelly and I’m like, really? Now, you’ve got to remember, where did I work for 16 years? I mean, this is Philadelphia. You understand what I’m saying? I’m always in Philly, and I’m telling you right now you’ve got people walking the streets and, hell with it, you’ve got brothers walking the streets going like ‘What’s up with Chip? I don’t understand this. I really don’t understand what you’re doing.’ Now I’m not saying I know, I’m just saying that it does strike me as a tad bit odd. I’m going to repeat this. Gone: LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin, you know, DeSean Jackson. Staying: Riley Cooper. Really? Really? OK.”

Kelly has made dozens of personnel decisions with the Eagles, but Smith seems to see sinister motives in three of them: trading McCoy, letting Maclin walk away in free agency, and releasing Jackson. Smith, of course, failed to mention some of the white veterans Kelly has released, like James Casey and Todd Herremans, because that would undermine Smith’s thesis.

Smith also failed to mention that the player Kelly acquired in the McCoy trade, Kiko Alonso, is Latino. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly just signed to a new contract, Mark Sanchez, is of Mexican-American heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly desperately wants to draft, Marcus Mariota, is of Samoan heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the cornerback Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Byron Maxwell, is black. And Smith fails to mention that the running back Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Frank Gore, is black. If Kelly is a racist who wants to build a roster full of white guys, he’s doing a spectacularly bad job of it.

if we were consistent with our race issue processing, mr. smith would be facing a month long suspension at the very least and really should be fired

for the record, i DONT think he should be fired, but we shouldnt have taken huge things away from the fat old white ***** or the dumb old white gazillionare either. just another mega-obvious separate rules disaster

what could possibly go wrong?
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Stephen A. Smith: Chip Kelly a racist

Well, he stopped short of calling Kelly a Winnie the Pooh-looking mother****er, at least.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

Stephen A Smith talks too much. This is simply an opinion, and a skewed one at that.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

First Take is a useless waste of oxygen. And this is all about Cooper. Pretending its about anyone else is just silly.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

this is a good test to see where we are as a culture. lets see what happens. most likely nothing but at some point we have to start directly addressing this imbalance. i hope it is now
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Wtf? If Kelly is racist, why did he take a job where he's going to have to deal with young black males on a daily basis?

If he wanted an all white roster, he should have coached hockey or lacrosse.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Downinfloflo
              Victimizing The Victimizer
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              Well, he stopped short of calling Kelly a Winnie the Pooh-looking mother****er, at least.
              Looks more like piglet to me...
              Last edited by Downinfloflo; 03-09-2015, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                First Take is a useless waste of oxygen. And this is all about Cooper. Pretending its about anyone else is just silly.
                All about ratings and hot takes.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mightysimi
                  Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                  • Mar 2010

Man signing Gore and Maxwell, he is so racist.

Comment

• Swiper
                    • Sep 2010

Stephen A. Smith is a jerk's jerk.

Comment

• mightysimi
                      Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                      • Mar 2010

On further inspection he is most likely an idiot as opposed to racist. Getting rid of your best offensive player 2 years in a row doesn't seem to be a recipe for success. Or he is a super genius. Also, being that probably 80% or higher of the league is black, you could probably find a few coaches who only released black players in the last couple of seasons. That's a numbers game. Also not racial.

Comment

• sudzy
                        • Apr 2013

He's Steve Spurrier 2.0. It's his system that wins not the players. He'll be back coaching NCAA in a few years.

Comment

• casdhf
                          • Jul 2002

I heard he wanted Russell Wilson. We all know he isn't black enough.
                          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                            if we were consistent with our race issue processing, mr. smith would be facing a month long suspension at the very least and really should be fired

for the record, i DONT think he should be fired, but we shouldnt have taken huge things away from the fat old white ***** or the dumb old white gazillionare either. just another mega-obvious separate rules disaster

what could possibly go wrong?
                            Well, the things you are comparing it to are completely different (par for the course with you)

that being said, Smith is an idiot.

The only person worse than him on TV is Skip Bayless. Thank the lord they host a show together.
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

I don't mind someone playing the racist card when it actually does apply.

So often, it doesn't and when you launch a grenade like that, you better be sure with your facts, rather than trying to connect some loose dots.

Some think because they are the person of color, they are teflon and nothing can possibly stick to them. Arrogance of the highest order and their word is basically moot after a feeble attempt at creating a fake situation/scenerio in order to preach from the pulpit.

Smith has failed at this before.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X