PDA

View Full Version : Nolan rips ‘lackadaisical’ Grigorenko

Downinfloflo
03-09-2015, 01:48 PM
This kid had "Bust" written all over him from day one..

Doesn’t sound like Mikhail Grigorenko impressed the Sabres much in his recent one-game cameo.“I didn’t like his play,” head coach Ted Nolan said, per the Buffalo News (http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/03/09/injuries-keep-piling-nolan-levels-blast-lackadaisical-grigorenko/). “For him to play at this level, especially with that much skill, he has to bring a little bit more than what he had. You don’t really want to sit back and hope for things to work. You’ve got to make them work like everybody else.
“I just felt his play on certain parts was very lackadaisical. Didn’t have any energy or urgency in his game whatsoever.”

“We could have argued and said, ‘Hey, let’s keep him here,’ ” Nolan said. “But he didn’t give us enough of that to argue for.”

Looking ahead, it’ll be very interesting to see how Buffalo and Grigorenko, a pending RFA, handle this summer’s contract negotiations. He’s a staple of the previous regime — Grigrenko was a Darcy Regier draft pick

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/nolan-rips-lackadaisical-grigorenko/

DetDannyWilliams
03-09-2015, 02:21 PM
There's no way he's here next season! Murray hates Russian players. I remember reading a story in the Ottawa papers of when the Sens drafted Michalec that Tim Murray tried to convince his uncle Brian not to take him.

Dude
03-09-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm guessing it's more likely that he hates lazy Russian players, or unskilled Russian players.

JATMtheJATM
03-09-2015, 05:20 PM
20 year old in his first year pro. If one game makes him a bust, that's Max judgement there

JATMtheJATM
03-09-2015, 05:23 PM
As Joe yerdon of pro hockey talk said, Nolan also said the same things about Varone and Larsson this season. Kids learn.

Dude
03-09-2015, 05:45 PM
There's no way he's here next season! Murray hates Russian players. I remember reading a story in the Ottawa papers of when the Sens drafted Michalec that Tim Murray tried to convince his uncle Brian not to take him.
The Senators have never drafted anyone named Michalec. If you are referring to Milan Michalek, he isn't Russian.

He isn't Austrian either.

JATMtheJATM
03-09-2015, 05:49 PM
He was also drafted by San Jose. Traded in the Heatley trade.

JATMtheJATM
03-09-2015, 05:57 PM
I do think, regarding grigo, give him stability and he will flourish. His games developed nicely this year, played well for Rochester. Give him the third line next year and watch him improve.

coastal
03-09-2015, 07:48 PM
He isn't dominating the AHL...

JATMtheJATM
03-09-2015, 08:16 PM
He isn't dominating the AHL...

Who said he is? Hes playing at over a .75 Ppg. Not dominating, but really solid.

Downinfloflo
03-09-2015, 09:28 PM
I do think, regarding grigo, give him stability and he will flourish. His games developed nicely this year, played well for Rochester. Give him the third line next year and watch him improve.

Read him some bedtime stories after you give him a nice glass of warm milk, Watch his game improve.

JATMtheJATM
03-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Read him some bedtime stories after you give him a nice glass of warm milk, Watch his game improve.

What exactly do you want? The Sabres to give up on him because he played poorly one game? Ok.

Downinfloflo
03-09-2015, 10:11 PM
What exactly do you want? The Sabres to give up on him because he played poorly one game? Ok.

Ask Ted Nolan, You know, His head coach!!

But I'm sure you know more then Ted, Because you feel it.

JATMtheJATM
03-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Ask Ted Nolan, You know, His head coach!!

But I'm sure you know more then Ted, Because you feel it.

Ted Nolan himself Said grigo played poorly. Didn't have the effort. how that negates his development over the course of the whole season and praise he's garnered over the whole season, I'm not sure.

Downinfloflo
03-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Ted Nolan himself Said grigo played poorly. Didn't have the effort. how that negates his development over the course of the whole season and praise he's garnered over the whole season, I'm not sure.

He's gone, Tim did not draft him, And he don't strike me as a guy who want's to deal with low effort head cases.

JATMtheJATM
03-09-2015, 10:38 PM
He's gone, Tim did not draft him, And he don't strike me as a guy who want's to deal with low effort head cases.

Then Hes Gone. But I'm not gonna write off a 20 year Based on a bad game.

As far as grigo being a headcase, he's done all the right things since last year's meltdown, so I think that's a thing of the past

mightysimi
03-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Then Hes Gone. But I'm not gonna write off a 20 year Based on a bad game.

As far as grigo being a headcase, he's done all the right things since last year's meltdown, so I think that's a thing of the past

You are forgetting the Russian factor. They play when the want, usually a contract year. Then they hold the threat of the KHL over teams. There are very few Russians in the NHL EVER that were good hard working players who didn't cry or run when things went sour. I can really only think of a few. Mostly in the last decade. The ONLY Russians that I would even consider outside of this stereotype are Datsuyk, Malkin, Fedorov, Ovechkin. Maybe throw in a few of the goalies. Tarasenko and Kucherov are too early to tell.

JATMtheJATM
03-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Of course there's that factor. I look at last year, when he threw that tantrum. He changed his mind, did the right things, and has been fine ever since. I'm one of those people who believes in the best till proven the worst. And I'm patient.

Overall, he's been making strides in the AHL this year. No reason to hit the panic button over 1 game.

coastal
03-10-2015, 05:38 AM
Speaking of Russian head cases... we could have had a good Canadian boy like Mantha or Lazar... but we got Nikita.

yeah.

rbochan
03-10-2015, 06:33 AM
I'm guessing it's more likely that he hates lazy Russian players, or unskilled Russian players.

Yup. And this is also a kid who's talked a big game. A kid who threatened to head back overseas if he wasn't fast-tracked to the big league. A kid who's shown no results to live up to his own hype. If he's a Russian version of Hodgson in the making? **** it. Quit wasting time on his problematic ass. Move on and call it a day. There are some things the player must bring to the table - things that can't reasonably be expected to be "coached" - and if you ain't got it, you ain't got it, and you simply don't deserve any further consideration.

casdhf
03-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Why should he give a ****? We are trying to lose. He will be fine next season.

JATMtheJATM
03-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Speaking of Russian head cases... we could have had a good Canadian boy like Mantha or Lazar... but we got Nikita.

yeah.

Eh, Mantha is a nice enough guy, but seems heavily influenced by some of the vets on the griffs, and the entitlements that go with it.

trapezeus
03-10-2015, 09:22 AM
its too bad half the sabres talk here is from 3 guys who can't get over a rebuilding process and need to cry about every little thing because their team is rebuilding in a different manner or struggling to make the playoffs.

JATMtheJATM, i tend to think you have your head screwed on straight for this sabres season. That being said, i think Nolan's critique of Grigs is a problem. it's not about one bad game. he's been called up a couple times and sent back down. he's been called up and been a healthy scratch.

rob ray in a pregame was pretty much over grigs as well. he said something to the effect of "he has talent, it's not out of this world talent, but combined with the inconsistency and inability to take over the AHL, it is hard to see where the upside is."

It is a warning shot of a lot of significance if the coach is willing to call you out in the media. it hurts trade value, for a young kid in his 20's who thought he should play right away and keeps hearing he isn't good enough, he could straight up quit. so it's a risky proposal. but perhaps all the other attempts to get to him isn't working.

it must be frustrating to have a guy who shows promise to be a player and you just see laziness in his game on his 3rd 4th call up when there are no more players out there. the sabres are running the amerks team and grigs isn't seizing the moment.

so after that long-windedness, i think grigs is down to his last strike. no one from management owes him anything since they didn't take him. they are going to have cap space to bring in FA on top of their draft haul and they have other kids in the system that are fighting like hell to leap frog him.

i suspect they will let him try again in camp next year, and if he doesn't outright crush it to win a spot, i suspect he is traded in a package as a prospect for another team to try with.

JATMtheJATM
03-10-2015, 09:44 AM
its too bad half the sabres talk here is from 3 guys who can't get over a rebuilding process and need to cry about every little thing because their team is rebuilding in a different manner or struggling to make the playoffs.

JATMtheJATM, i tend to think you have your head screwed on straight for this sabres season. That being said, i think Nolan's critique of Grigs is a problem. it's not about one bad game. he's been called up a couple times and sent back down. he's been called up and been a healthy scratch.

rob ray in a pregame was pretty much over grigs as well. he said something to the effect of "he has talent, it's not out of this world talent, but combined with the inconsistency and inability to take over the AHL, it is hard to see where the upside is."

It is a warning shot of a lot of significance if the coach is willing to call you out in the media. it hurts trade value, for a young kid in his 20's who thought he should play right away and keeps hearing he isn't good enough, he could straight up quit. so it's a risky proposal. but perhaps all the other attempts to get to him isn't working.

it must be frustrating to have a guy who shows promise to be a player and you just see laziness in his game on his 3rd 4th call up when there are no more players out there. the sabres are running the amerks team and grigs isn't seizing the moment.

so after that long-windedness, i think grigs is down to his last strike. no one from management owes him anything since they didn't take him. they are going to have cap space to bring in FA on top of their draft haul and they have other kids in the system that are fighting like hell to leap frog him.

i suspect they will let him try again in camp next year, and if he doesn't outright crush it to win a spot, i suspect he is traded in a package as a prospect for another team to try with.

A year ago, I'd have agreed. After his threat to take his ball and go home, he seemed to figure it out. Said the right things, did the right things. Worked on his game, stayed in buffalo over the summer to work on his game, impressed during camp, but sent down anyways. Didn't whine, went down to the AHL,played well down there and actually impressed people (I posted an article about it). So he comes up, doesn't play well a game, and suddenly, he becomes public enemy one for people with an axe to grind. Hes in his first full year pro, can't even drink yet, and people are ready to write him off, as if his attitude change never happened. You mention other attempts to get him haven't worked. They have though. Hes completely worked with Sabres and amerks coaches all season to improve his game.

And like Joe yerdon wrote yesterday, this isn't the first youngster Nolan has called out for lack of effort. Both other players responded. young players grow. I don't see why grigo is the exception to patience. If he goes to Rochester and pours about it, yeah there's a problem. so far, that hasn't been the case.

JATMtheJATM
03-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Hey, what do you know? Another account of a young Nhl player doing silly things young Nhl players do.
http://deadspin.com/bruins-rookie-follows-adult-massage-girls-on-twitter-1690495683?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Apparently, golden boy pastrnak likes sensual, full body massages that come with "and more"

Where's the outrage?

coastal
03-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Um... he's producing!?

grigs sucks. Isn't doing ****. Isn't showing signs of doing ****. And yet u think the potential is still going to come out?

*** Grigs! He's plays the game like a ***

JATMtheJATM
03-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Um... he's producing!?

grigs sucks. Isn't doing ****. Isn't showing signs of doing ****. And yet u think the potential is still going to come out?

*** Grigs! He's plays the game like a ***

In the AHL? yes, he is. Hes doing that "developing" thing that younger players usually have to do.

Hes having a better year then Mantha, at the same age. In the same league.

coastal
03-10-2015, 10:21 AM
You're out of your mind if you think what Grigs is doing is developing.

JATMtheJATM
03-10-2015, 10:25 AM
You're out of your mind if you think what Grigs is doing is developing.

I guess I'm Out of my mind for not writing off a 20 year old kid in his first pro season.

Here's an article that talks about it.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/hockeyozone/2015/01/19/amerks-grigorenko-ahl-player-of-week/22001577/

I guess I'm just not as quick to rush to final judgement on a kid as some here.

mightysimi
03-10-2015, 10:35 AM
I only speak from experience about Russian players having watched the Jets deal with Burmistrov. He might turn it around. One question, if you guys don't tender him, do you think he picks himself up and signs with another NHL team or hits the first plane back to Russia?

JATMtheJATM
03-10-2015, 10:44 AM
I only speak from experience about Russian players having watched the Jets deal with Burmistrov. He might turn it around. One question, if you guys don't tender him, do you think he picks himself up and signs with another NHL team or hits the first plane back to Russia?

They'll tender him. They may also use him in a trade package as well.

They aren't going to just up and give up on him after his first full year pro. Especially since he's produced well in the AHL.

Also, heard burmistrov might return to the jets next year.

mightysimi
03-10-2015, 10:57 PM
They'll tender him. They may also use him in a trade package as well.

They aren't going to just up and give up on him after his first full year pro. Especially since he's produced well in the AHL.

Also, heard burmistrov might return to the jets next year.

I heard that too. They were actually trying to use him as a chip at the deadline. If I'm going to take a chance on a small centre, it will be Petan who has shown up in big games. Burmistrov hasn't shown any ability to score on a regular basis. If he comes back to the NHL, I would bet it isn't with the Jets.

chernobylwraiths
03-11-2015, 10:31 AM
You are forgetting the Russian factor. They play when the want, usually a contract year. Then they hold the threat of the KHL over teams. There are very few Russians in the NHL EVER that were good hard working players who didn't cry or run when things went sour. I can really only think of a few. Mostly in the last decade. The ONLY Russians that I would even consider outside of this stereotype are Datsuyk, Malkin, Fedorov, Ovechkin. Maybe throw in a few of the goalies. Tarasenko and Kucherov are too early to tell.

Change Russian to black and you can have Meathead in here. Ha!

Are you saying Ovechkin ISN'T a floater? That guy lives at the opponents blue line.

mightysimi
03-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Change Russian to black and you can have Meathead in here. Ha!

Are you saying Ovechkin ISN'T a floater? That guy lives at the opponents blue line.

No not saying he isn't a floater but at least looks like he cares out there. He is probably told to be there. Gretzky used to do it too.

He at least has proven to produce when it isn't a contract year although the jury was out for a while after he signed his last deal. The only Russian I would take on my team in any situation would be Datsuyk. He is a two way stud.

GreedoII
03-16-2015, 07:52 AM
so sick of Nolan...just fire his ass as soon as season over.....this isn't 1997 with Hasek anymore

Skooby
03-16-2015, 11:02 AM
so sick of Nolan...just fire his ass as soon as season over.....this isn't 1997 with Hasek anymore

It will happen.