PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the bother to be a winner?

stuckincincy
03-09-2015, 05:16 PM
TV money, box money, trinket money, concession money , black-outs a rarity given all the NFL games per season...

With all this FA activity - forget the official date of the start of FA - have numerous owners come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the effort to field a winner? I'm reminded of the PGH pirates - 20 years out of the playoff, yet the ownership (even with poor attendance) laughed all the way to the bank.

OpIv37
03-09-2015, 05:22 PM
What about the Bills? 15 years and counting with no playoffs. Payroll consistently well below the cap. Coaches consistently amongst the lowest paid in the league. And they still raked it in.

stuckincincy
03-09-2015, 05:41 PM
US tax code makes sports teams tax havens:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Report-Steve-Ballmer-Could-Claim-1B-in-Tax-Write-Offs-For-Buying-Clippers-280466752.html

This FA market is nuts this season. Run up costs, deduct, reduce liability. Heck, CIN owner has had it down pat for years. Pays himself as owner, president, GM , than deducts all that from taxable profits.

Mace
03-15-2015, 06:57 PM
TV money, box money, trinket money, concession money , black-outs a rarity given all the NFL games per season...

With all this FA activity - forget the official date of the start of FA - have numerous owners come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the effort to field a winner? I'm reminded of the PGH pirates - 20 years out of the playoff, yet the ownership (even with poor attendance) laughed all the way to the bank.

Sure wish I could tell you, or even have the basis for the argument nowadays in Buffalo sports.

Jan Reimers
03-18-2015, 01:59 PM
YES!

stuckincincy
03-19-2015, 10:48 AM
YES!

Well, there ya go then! :bandwagon

ticatfan
03-23-2015, 12:01 PM
The leafs anyone.