X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloRedleg
    • Aug 2013

Can we really win this way?

If Whaley and Rex are 100% successful in building the team they want (or more have been forced to build due to lack of QBs available), can we win a Superbowl?

Since the Bills do not seem to be pursuing a legit QB this off-season, it is forcing me to consider whether it actually is possible to win a Superbowl in the modern NFL with a great run game and great defense but bad QB play.

That seems to be what Rex and Whaley are going for here, so we better get used to it.

For arguments sake lets say they are successful at building a powerful and effective run game and our defense remains as good as last year. Lets say that Cassel/EJ play as well as they have in the past and are ineffective most of the time and are merely not blowing the game for their team on their best day.

Can that team win a Superbowl? Can it make the playoffs?

I know they don't really have a choice, so before you stomp your feet and say they have no other option we are talking not about whether or not they should do it but whether or not you are confident it will work. Also, before anyone says it Russel Wilson is an excellent QB and Dilfer/Johnson were outliers (and from what I think is a different era). In fact, I think that Wilson might be the worst QB to win a SB in the last 10 years and he is light years better than anyone we have.

Just curious what everyone thinks around here as I've been debating this with friends a lot lately. My opinion is that they have to do it, but I can't see how it will work. The Colts, for example, are considered in a class far ahead of us (and a SB contender possibly) yet are worse than us in almost every phase of the game. That's just my opinion and not really the thing I want to debate here, but you get my point. I hope this works, and it would be pretty cool to win old school, but I think the NFL is deliberately built to enable their marquee QBs to succeed.

Thoughts?
  • SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: Can we really win this way?

Play-offs -- perhaps.

Win a SB -- no.

I assume it is progress for the next number of years until we find that QB.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
      Play-offs -- perhaps.

Win a SB -- no.

I assume it is progress for the next number of years until we find that QB.
      Right? That has to be the endgame for them. Wait until they can attract a 2nd tier/top 3rd tier QB who wants to go to a team built to win now through free agency, or maybe draft someone they think they can coach up to be decent.

Either way, as my friend said they're shuffling chairs on the Titanic until the get a QB.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

They can win a Super Bowl, but it has to be one of those years where everything breaks right for them.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
          My IQ Test results came back negative
          • Oct 2002

Trent dilfer did it

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

I'm confused. Are you talking about just this year or in the years to come? Because yes, we certainly are in a poor position for QB's this year. But then you say "so we better get used to it." Why? Are they not going to try to improve the QB position after this year?
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• jimmifli
              • Nov 2006

Yes. Last year's defense could have beaten any team in the league.

And a team that believes it can win is dangerous, even with a subpar offense.

Is it probable? No.

In this era you must be able to score points.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                Victimizing The Victimizer
                • Aug 2012

After 15 years, Just making the playoffs, Buffalo will act like they just won the Super Bowl, So I would say yes.

Comment

• soapman
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                  Since the Bills do not seem to be pursuing a legit QB this off-season, it is forcing me to consider whether it actually is possible to win a Superbowl in the modern NFL with a great run game and great defense but bad QB play.
                  Who were they supposed to "Target?" Market is dry as the Sahara.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

This model will work for a few years. What they want to do is develop a qb with this running game def model and still win games as he develops. Everyone forgets that is what pats did with brady in his early years. Granted he played well as well but he was not rewriting the record books till moss showed up.

That being said they have the wR weapons, need a Te, better ol.

Maybe they draft a petty and develop him for a year or maybe EJ gets it and we are lucky.

But As other posters said we will have a chance at playoffs but highly doubtful super bowl. Also we are competing for wild card still. Brady has two more years since he has not been injuried like Peyton

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by psubills62 View Post
                      I'm confused. Are you talking about just this year or in the years to come? Because yes, we certainly are in a poor position for QB's this year. But then you say "so we better get used to it." Why? Are they not going to try to improve the QB position after this year?
                      I'm just saying that if they are 100% effective at what the intend to do this year-- to run the ball well and play good defense-- can they win the Superbowl? Is this a viable method to win in this league?

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                        This model will work for a few years. What they want to do is develop a qb with this running game def model and still win games as he develops. Everyone forgets that is what pats did with brady in his early years. Granted he played well as well but he was not rewriting the record books till moss showed up.

That being said they have the wR weapons, need a Te, better ol.

Maybe they draft a petty and develop him for a year or maybe EJ gets it and we are lucky.

But As other posters said we will have a chance at playoffs but highly doubtful super bowl. Also we are competing for wild card still. Brady has two more years since he has not been injuried like Peyton
                        But what about the current model they have for the team, run the ball and play sound defense?

Is that good enough to overcome the QBs we have on the roster so that we can win a SB?

I'm thinking no of course, which is a bummer.

It's a shame the NFL is designed to have only 1 path to success in the league these days.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

I just wish to get the last wild card slot into the playoffs. Once you're in, anything can happen.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

I think Cassell is going to surprise some folks, I really do.

Comment

• chris66
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                              I think Cassell is going to surprise some folks, I really do.
                              I dont, I think he will be responsible for giving up points. He is not very good.

If the Bills make the playoffs they could go on a run, but making the playoffs without a qb is highly unlikely no matter how good the defense is. You need a qb in this league.

Comment

Working...
                              X