PDA

View Full Version : Spend it All Doug. Spend it All.

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2015, 03:46 PM
I hope Doug Whaley spends every single cent of this year's salary cap (short of the usual couple of million for injuries and the rookie cap).

We will worry about next year's salary cap next year.

The cap went up $10M this year and the new TV contract hasn't hit the books yet. It will go up another $15M next year. Plus next year is the last year of the 4 year period that teams must spend an average of 89% of the salary cap over the period. Money will be spent like crazy next year by teams who are below the 89% during the previous 3 years.

As we have seen, contracts are easy to restructure if you are willing to pay upfront bonuses and we will never get in cap hell even if we had a franchise QB.

Next year we can restructure Mario's contract if he looks good this year.

Spend away Doug!

X-Era
03-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Sportrac is projecting us at 16.5 without the Kyle extension but with the Felton hit this year of 1.75 and the Chandler release.

I think we're probably at 20 mil in cap room once these latest moves settle.

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Sportrac is projecting us at 16.5 without the Kyle extension but with the Felton hit this year of 1.75 and the Chandler release.

Let's spend it.

No more operating with an internal cap that is $20M below the real cap.

The Beef
03-11-2015, 03:54 PM
Whaley has been in one of the most unique win now modes of any GM in recent history.

Ralph dies, they go all in with Sammy.

He somehow keeps his job with Pegula coming in, and Polian turning down an opportunity as football czar.

Now he's operating with an owner with a blank check book and he's still dealing.

He may end up a failure as a GM but if he does he's going to fail the right way.

He's helped build a hell of a defense and done everything in his power to land high end talent at skill positions on offense.

Ed
03-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Let's spend it.

No more operating with an internal cap that is $20M below the real cap.

The Bills only rolled over $2M from last year.

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2015, 03:56 PM
The Bills only rolled over $2M from last year.

How much was available to be rolled over?

The previous year we rolled over $18M I believe.

Albany,n.y.
03-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Whaley has been in one of the most unique win now modes of any GM in recent history.

Ralph dies, they go all in with Sammy.

He somehow keeps his job with Pegula coming in, and Polian turning down an opportunity as football czar.

Now he's operating with an owner with a blank check book and he's still dealing.

He may end up a failure as a GM but if he does he's going to fail the right way.

He's helped build a hell of a defense and done everything in his power to land high end talent at skill positions on offense.

It's good to have a GM who doesn't go to bed at 8 PM & doesn't leave his office early in order to get the senior citizens dinner special.

Ed
03-11-2015, 04:04 PM
How much was available to be rolled over?

The previous year we rolled over $18M I believe.

They've always rolled over the maximum and spent all of it last year. It looks like they're doing the same this year.

pmoon6
03-11-2015, 04:09 PM
You still have to have cap room to sign Dareus next year. You spend to the cap this year and you'll be cutting players you signed to get under for Marcel or trying to renegotiate deals.

Ed
03-11-2015, 04:21 PM
You still have to have cap room to sign Dareus next year. You spend to the cap this year and you'll be cutting players you signed to get under for Marcel or trying to renegotiate deals.
The Bills are currently sitting at about $105 million in salary for 2016 and the cap is projected to increase to as much as $160 million. They can re-sign Dareus next year without having to cut players.

lightningbolt444
03-11-2015, 04:25 PM

Good teams spend to the cap and worry about deals as they come up. At this point you go all in and worry about next year next year. What if god forbid Dareus retires or has a huge injury. What good was saving that money?

HHURRICANE
03-11-2015, 04:43 PM

Enough for Brees

pmoon6
03-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Good teams spend to the cap and worry about deals as they come up. At this point you go all in and worry about next year next year. What if god forbid Dareus retires or has a huge injury. What good was saving that money?Hmmm. Like the Broncos that won't be able to sign even half of their free agent players?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2015, 12:47 AM
The Bills are currently sitting at about $105 million in salary for 2016 and the cap is projected to increase to as much as $160 million. They can re-sign Dareus next year without having to cut players.

Dareus isn't the only one. Glenn, Gilmore, and Bradham are also UFAs next offseason.

Personally, I wish Whaley would sign at least one of them this offseason so we know what we are looking at next year.

Downinfloflo
03-12-2015, 01:17 AM
I would like to thank the Buffalo Sabres, With them being in the dumpster, Terry has to let loose with the Bills, Can't have both teams going down in flames!! :rockout:

YardRat
03-12-2015, 04:33 AM
Just don't spend it all on a tight end with fish stank.

Strongman
03-12-2015, 05:47 AM
It's good to have a GM who doesn't go to bed at 8 PM & doesn't leave his office early in order to get the senior citizens dinner special.

And, most importantly, can competently use technology like a cellphone.

OpIv37
03-12-2015, 11:21 AM
I hope Doug Whaley spends every single cent of this year's salary cap (short of the usual couple of million for injuries and the rookie cap).

The cap went up $10M this year and the new TV contract hasn't hit the books yet. It will go up another $15M next year. Plus next year is the last year of the 4 year period that teams must spend an average of 89% of the salary cap over the period. Money will be spent like crazy next year by teams who are below the 89% during the previous 3 years.

As we have seen, contracts are easy to restructure if you are willing to pay upfront bonuses and we will never get in cap hell even if we had a franchise QB.

Spend away Doug!
Big flaw here: if the cap goes up, contracts go up. If teams have to spend money to get to the floor, contracts go up. Those are two factors that will drive up the cost of players next year. So, even with the cap going up, we will likely be bit players next year.

Ed
03-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Dareus isn't the only one. Glenn, Gilmore, and Bradham are also UFAs next offseason.

Personally, I wish Whaley would sign at least one of them this offseason so we know what we are looking at next year.
Yeah it will be tough for them to keep everyone, as it usually is, but if Dareus is the priority they can get it done. Assuming he gets huge money like Suh, I think they could still re-sign everyone, but they may be really limited in pursuing other free agents. They can always use the franchise tag on someone too.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Big flaw here: if the cap goes up, contracts go up. If teams have to spend money to get to the floor, contracts go up. Those are two factors that will drive up the cost of players next year. So, even with the cap going up, we will likely be bit players next year.

That is why I am suggesting to spend it all this year rather than next year because there is more value this year.

OpIv37
03-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Fair enough.

stuckincincy
03-12-2015, 12:32 PM

Spend away Doug!

What about potential tix/concessions/parking price increases?

jamze132
03-12-2015, 12:36 PM
The NFL needs to adopt baseball's guaranteed contract method. I know the owners will NEVER go for it, but it would prevent all of the BS that comes along with owners/GMs treating players like crap as well as players holding out for more money after a decent season.

OpIv37
03-12-2015, 12:38 PM

If they win it'll be worth it. If they lose, Pegula = Snyder.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2015, 12:56 PM

Crank those prices now while we are in the Pegula honeymoon.

stuckincincy
03-12-2015, 01:11 PM

Huh? You live in the Baltimore area.

What makes you say it's worth it, when any price increases don't take a cent out of your wallet...?

SpikedLemonade
03-19-2015, 08:51 AM
There is plenty of money left to sign Spikes and Wiz.

better days
03-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Crank those prices now while we are in the Pegula honeymoon.

Well, you said prices were going to skyrocket right after the Bills sold.

Of course you also said the Bills would no longer be playing in Buffalo as well.

SpikedLemonade
03-19-2015, 11:30 AM
This is the year to spend money rather than next year.

Next year the new TV contract money hits and the cap will go up by more than $10M to $160M. You can expect it to be the largest year over year increase ever.

Also, next year is the 4th and final year in the first 4 year period for the salary cap minimum. Teams that have not spent 89% of the salary cap over the 4 year period by the end of next year, basically forfeit the amount that is less than 89% which will be prorated backwards to the players on its team in that 4 year period. In other words, there will be teams like the Raiders, Jags, etc. who very much want to spend money but players will not want to go to losing programs unless they are grossly overpaid their then market value.

Again, this the year to spend money.

It would be wise to sign Dareus now to a new deal close to Suh's deal because if he hits FA next year, he will make more than Suh.

swiper
03-19-2015, 11:48 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CjQKFoUdk4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YardRat
03-19-2015, 09:45 PM
According to this article (from July 2014), the biggest jump would have been this year, 2015...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11200179/nfl-teams-divided-6-billion-revenue-according-green-bay-packers-financials

The national revenue dollars the Packers and the rest of the league's teams have received continue to climb over the years, with the total pie up 56 percent, factoring for inflation, since 2006.

The most significant jump will happen next season, as new television deals with each of the league's partners, along with the new CBS Thursday Night package, pushes the league's media revenue from the networks alone to an average of more than $5 billion a season.

TacklingDummy
03-19-2015, 09:57 PM

Snyder has never had a Quarterback. Could be why he's never won.

better days
03-20-2015, 08:21 AM

I think the fact Snyder changes HC's like other people change underwear plays a big part in the failure of the Skins as well.

gr8slayer
03-20-2015, 08:30 AM
I love what he's doing, he has got to be in a constant state of "win now", and he's doing it. If we can get even average QB play this year, this is a team ready to explode.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-20-2015, 09:31 AM

He's certainly tried to get one. McNabb, Brunell, Griffin, etc. He's been swinging for the fences and missing.