PDA

View Full Version : What if Clay doesn't sign or Miami matches?

OpIv37
03-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Let's face it- Chandler and Lee Smith are no big losses. I've made my feelings on Chandler known on here many times, and Lee Smith- meh.

But currently, the only TE's on the roster are Chris Gragg and MarQuis Grey. That's not exactly encouraging.

If we get Clay, we'll be fine. I'm sure we can find a journeyman or someone in the draft to be 3rd or 4th string. If Clay doesn't sign here or Miami matches, then what?

X-Era
03-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Let's face it- Chandler and Lee Smith are no big losses. I've made my feelings on Chandler known on here many times, and Lee Smith- meh.

But currently, the only TE's on the roster are Chris Gragg and MarQuis Grey. That's not exactly encouraging.

If we get Clay, we'll be fine. I'm sure we can find a journeyman or someone in the draft to be 3rd or 4th string. If Clay doesn't sign here or Miami matches, then what?Then we go after Cameron or a trade for Vernon Davis or draft a guy

Novacane
03-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Cameron. I'd rather have him than Clay anyway.

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Sure if he is not concussed by a snowflake.

OpIv37
03-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Then we go after Cameron or a trade for Vernon Davis or draft a guy

What do we have of trade value? We lack draft picks as it is, and while we do have some talented players, player for player trades are rare in the NFL, plus we aren't particularly deep at any position so it would create another hole.

YardRat
03-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Sign a different vet, draft a rookie. I'd rather do that anyway.

OpIv37
03-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Sign a different vet, draft a rookie. I'd rather do that anyway.

Not that Chandler was anything great, but what available vet is better (other than Clay, of course)? What rookie are we going to get with our limited picks that can step in and immediately be as good or better?

X-Era
03-11-2015, 07:17 PM
What do we have of trade value? We lack draft picks as it is, and while we do have some talented players, player for player trades are rare in the NFL, plus we aren't particularly deep at any position so it would create another hole.
I dont agree with your premise. I think we are deep in most positions and dont need the draft picks as much as in past years.

Thurmal
03-11-2015, 07:17 PM
We've had only one 100-yard receiving performance by a TE since 1992, so I'm guessing not much would change. Will miss Chandler; always liked the guy.

Skooby
03-11-2015, 07:22 PM
I have a feeling that Chandler being cut was to free up cap space, we weren't keeping him either way so might as well put him out there.

kingJofNYC
03-11-2015, 07:46 PM
My concern is the OL, we just traded for a back who will get some piss poor run blocking unless we fill in the gaps.

still early in the process for OL and TE, never know who will become available.

YardRat
03-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Not that Chandler was anything great, but what available vet is better (other than Clay, of course)? What rookie are we going to get with our limited picks that can step in and immediately be as good or better?

I would have preferred to keep Chandler, sign Miller, and draft Heuermann. We can still do the latter two, but now Chandler would have to be replaced by someone like Gresham or Housler. Not much of a downgrade, if any, with potential for a higher ceiling. I just don't want to be stuck with Gragg and Gray and a rookie.

OpIv37
03-11-2015, 07:51 PM
I dont agree with your premise. I think we are deep in most positions and dont need the draft picks as much as in past years.

Ok, then who would you trade that a) San Fran would take for Davis and b) wouldn't create a new hole?

DraftBoy
03-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Then he doesn't sign. There are other options and personally I want to see what we have in Gray.

psubills62
03-11-2015, 07:56 PM
I guess we'll pick someone up off the street like we did with Chandler.

The Jokeman
03-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Cameron is an option and I think an under the radar guy is Rob Housler. Also as we've seen other teams do you can always cut a guy and bring him back. Yet I think the Bills have really thought this out as Whaley and company seem to be more prepared then previous regimes. I mean we cut Chandler almost immediately after Suh signed so I have a feeling we are prepared to make a contract the Dolphins can't/won't match. I mean now that the terms are out there what stops us from giving Clay a big salary in the 2nd year of his contract like the Dolphins did with Suh? as maybe it prevent them from keeping Clay as they don't want to lock so much into their cap over two guys. Of course we have to be careful too as Dareus is set to be an UFA next year so we need to leave us some money to keep him around.

black N yellow
03-11-2015, 08:06 PM
I feel like the Bills haven't had a true #1 tight end since before the position became as important as it is now. So, I guess it would be business as usual.

better days
03-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Then we go after Cameron or a trade for Vernon Davis or draft a guy

Reports are Cameron is plan B for the Fins if the Bills offer to Clay is too rich for them to match.

The Jokeman
03-11-2015, 08:07 PM
I feel like the Bills haven't had a true #1 tight end since before the position became as important as it is now. So, I guess it would be business as usual.

I think Jay Riesmersma was our last above average #1 TE but actually think he was more average when really think about it.

YardRat
03-11-2015, 08:14 PM
I guess we'll pick someone up off the street like we did with Chandler.

We stole Chandler from Dallas, probably one of Nix's better moves as GM.

Jry44
03-11-2015, 08:25 PM

If we get Clay, we'll be fine. I'm sure we can find a journeyman or someone in the draft to be 3rd or 4th string. If Clay doesn't sign here or Miami matches, then what?

Then you draft one. It's that simple. Add a veteran that can be a run blocker and then you draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Jordan Cameron is visiting Miami, according to total access earlier/ So I think they are anticipating losing Clay to either B'lo or Cleveland.

CoolBreeze
03-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Sure if he is not concussed by a snowflake.

He is one concussion away from done.

Reminds me of the episode of South Park Sarcastaball

"Jordan Cameron running the go route... Ooh he stops in his tracks. Is he?... it appears now Jordan Cameron thinks he's baking something in the oven at midfield. Could he possibly think he's baking a cake, maybe a loaf of bread... We don't know."