PDA

View Full Version : Several things I like about Whaley's approach

X-Era
03-12-2015, 04:45 AM
Don't cut a player until you need to-

For years we would release players just before the start of free agency to free up cap room. I like that Whaley didjn't release Chandler until he needed the cap room. Hold on to the players you have until you are about ready to attain better.
Urbik has not been cut yet. I don't think he's worth keeping but he could be depth if a youngster emerges and we don't sign an upgrade. If Jahri Evans is cut soon and we go after him I'd expect us to cut Urbik at that point.
Being nice to players by releasing them early and then losing out on a free agent messes with your depth... You lost both.

Be willing to make trades-

The Bills have made 11 trades under Whaleys watch. Keep it up. You often get good proven players often at the cost of draft picks which could never materialize into anything. If you think you get a better player through a trade then by signing one outright, do it.
I'm glad we made the Watkins move. There is no QB in this draft that I want in the 1st round. And after that position we have the ability to find players in free agency or later in the draft. No issue with moving up or back to target a guy you want.

Be willing to pay big money-

There is a difference between big money and stupid money. McCoy's new deal is big money. Dockery was stupid money. If a market rate deal is structured such that we get cap relief early and an ability to get out without going into cap hell it can be a good deal.
Pay for younger talent. McCoy is 26. Hughes is 26.

Pay to keep your own-

In my opinion I can't think of a previous GM that would have paid Hughes. That was a bold move that required eating into cap space and paying a big contract on a pass rusher. But the teams best unit stays in tact for another year. I love the move.
Dareus could be the tipping point. By all rights we should extend him and keep the DL together for a long time. But it will cost huge money and be a major investment. Again, will Whaley keep the strength of the team in tact? I think he very well could.

Whaley has surprised me. I pictured him as a timid yes man. And maybe he is behind the scenes. But by the Bills actions it really seems to me that he is a mover and a shaker. And for better or worse the team is changing much more rapidly than maybe ever before.

YardRat
03-12-2015, 04:51 AM
Whaley's been aggressive right out of the gate and I like that, and he's made some really good moves using every means possible.

Night Train
03-12-2015, 05:18 AM
Whaley got the restraints removed when the Ralph/ Littman days ended. Seems like he's working well with Pegula and Rex. The trade for McCoy was a stunner and I love it. Wilson would have NEVER allowed him to talk to Rex. He'd advise him to canvas the local High Schools.

The off-season is still young and it's an interesting watch, more so than past years.

Meathead
03-12-2015, 05:19 AM
i also loved that he came out into yesterdays pc and wasnt shyster doug, like when he puts on those mirror glasses and starts talking like a used car salesman. its super obvious the pegulas got to him and told him to drop the italian mobster personna and just be doug. what a relief, i was tired of seeing him act the fool like that

Forward_Lateral
03-12-2015, 05:19 AM
I think some of this offseason's moves has to be accredited to the new ownership. I don't think The Pegulas are tying Whaley's hands, financially.

Saratoga Slim
03-12-2015, 07:36 AM
I think some of this offseason's moves has to be accredited to the new ownership. I don't think The Pegulas are tying Whaley's hands, financially.

Yeah I think there's a new feeling all around. We used to have to pay a premium to get guys to come here or stay here. Now it seems like they WANT to be here. Chalk that up to Rex and the fact that the new ownership clearly is doing whatever it can to build a winner. But the fact is it sure helps Whaley look good.

casdhf
03-12-2015, 07:38 AM
Haven't we officially only signed one guy?

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Yeah I think there's a new feeling all around. We used to have to pay a premium to get guys to come here or stay here. Now it seems like they WANT to be here. Chalk that up to Rex and the fact that the new ownership clearly is doing whatever it can to build a winner. But the fact is it sure helps Whaley look good.
Rex has a lot of street cred.
Top tier defense also helps.
New owner with deep pockets doesn't hurt.
Re-signing Hughes shows we're willing to reward for performance without expecting a hometown discount.
Trading up for Sammy shows we're willing to bet big to win.

This ain't the same old Bills anymore. RIP Ralph but this is a new era.

Historian
03-12-2015, 07:49 AM
Win. Now!

djjimkelly
03-12-2015, 08:00 AM
ive been saying this since midseason whaley is very solid and has done a great job with the roster. marrone was the problem. i know we won 9 games but minus one last game vs pats. we won becuz of whaleys design in spite of marrone idiocy

Strongman
03-12-2015, 08:14 AM
I'm not ready to proclaim Whaley the next Bill Polian. Without question he has made some good roster changes, but I still question what we gave up for Watkins. There's some good talent that we could have with the 19th pick that could start from day one.

It has been an interesting offseason though, and I'm interested to see what it will look like on the field.

EDS
03-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Easley signed to a 4 year deal and Wynn to a 2 year deal per Rodak.

WagonCircler
03-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Whaley's negative column dwarfs his positive column. He fuct up the QB situation so badly that it's currently irreparable.

I lean toward putting the Shady deal in the attaboy column, but it doesn't even come close to balancing the Watkins deal in the aw-chit column.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2015, 09:17 AM
I like everything he's done this offseason minus cutting Chandler.

Clay is looking more and more like he won't be here and the Bills will have no tight end on the roster who's done anything at the NFL level.

Bad decision there even if Chandler could be improved upon, he isn't terrible either.

EDS
03-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Historically, at least going back to the Super Bowl Bills, it seems the Bills like to commit a lot of draft and/or financial resources to defensive ends and running backs. This regime seems to be toeing the line.

Dr. Who
03-12-2015, 10:57 AM
I like everything he's done this offseason minus cutting Chandler.

Clay is looking more and more like he won't be here and the Bills will have no tight end on the roster who's done anything at the NFL level.

Bad decision there even if Chandler could be improved upon, he isn't terrible either.

I surmise Chandler's lack of athleticism and woeful blocking = Roman didn't want him.
Otherwise, the move doesn't make sense unless they have someone lined up to replace him.
Clay, evidently, is looking rather dicey.

coastal
03-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Do they have something against offensive line talent?

GvilleBills
03-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Timid is not a word I would associate with Dougie Whalez.

Buffalogic
03-12-2015, 11:42 AM
He's been this guy all along but people want to brutilize him over ej. We had no qb, none in FA, and it was a weak draft class for qb. We were literally forced into drafting a qb because kolb died. So he trades down, still gets a qb, picks up kiko, kiko has 2nd acl in 3 years, then trades kiko for the number 1 rusher since 2010. And yet some people wanted him out and still find something to ***** about. It's preposterous.

better days
03-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Haven't we officially only signed one guy?

Signed Incognito.

Traded for McCoy & signed him to a new contract.

Signed Felton.

Traded for Cassel.

Signed QB Taylor.

Dr. Who
03-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Signed Incognito.

Traded for McCoy & signed him to a new contract.

Signed Felton.

Traded for Cassel.

Signed QB Taylor.

Keeping Jerry Hughes, Easley a special teams ace, Wynn, a useful back-up . . .

WagonCircler
03-12-2015, 12:43 PM
He's been this guy all along but people want to brutilize him over ej. We had no qb, none in FA, and it was a weak draft class for qb. We were literally forced into drafting a qb because kolb died. .

I've said over and over that ****ting the bed by reaching for a horrible QB is one thing. But thinking you can "save him" by spending TWO first rounders and a 4th rounder on a ****ing WR??? Unforgivable.

He put this franchise at the bottom of the well with no rope at the QB position, and since he emptied the cupboard for a WR, we have to suffer through retreads like Orton and Cassell.

Buffalogic
03-12-2015, 04:32 PM
^There's no qb outside the top 10 in this draft we wouldn't have had a qb here this year unless we pulled ej 2.0 and reached again. Your complaining makes no sense.

X-Era
03-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Do they have something against offensive line talent?
Must be. Thats why we signed a FA at G last year, drafted 3, and then signed an ex-pro bowler before FA started.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Don't cut a player until you need to-
[LIST]
For years we would release players just before the start of free agency to free up cap room. I like that Whaley didjn't release Chandler until he needed the cap room. Hold on to the players you have until you are about ready to attain better..
I sure hope they didn't release Chandler too soon now that Miami is trying to get Clay back.

wmoz11
03-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Rex has a lot of street cred.
Top tier defense also helps.
New owner with deep pockets doesn't hurt.
Re-signing Hughes shows we're willing to reward for performance without expecting a hometown discount.
Trading up for Sammy shows we're willing to bet big to win.

This ain't the same old Bills anymore. RIP Ralph but this is a new era.

The stability of our organization's future goes a long way too. Haven't been able to say that in a long time.

WagonCircler
03-12-2015, 05:53 PM
^There's no qb outside the top 10 in this draft we wouldn't have had a qb here this year unless we pulled ej 2.0 and reached again. Your complaining makes no sense.

He's making big creative trades to get a Running Back when they could have paid DeMarco Murray in Free Agency and gotten a similar back to McCoy without giving up Kiko. Then use Kiko with a creative trade package to go after Bradford, or another veteran.

Either way, your description of the current crop of QBs makes Whaley's double gack on EJ even all the more egregious and harmful to the franchise.

BillsImpossible
03-12-2015, 06:03 PM
I've said over and over that ****ting the bed by reaching for a horrible QB is one thing. But thinking you can "save him" by spending TWO first rounders and a 4th rounder on a ****ing WR??? Unforgivable.

He put this franchise at the bottom of the well with no rope at the QB position, and since he emptied the cupboard for a WR, we have to suffer through retreads like Orton and Cassell.

In retrospect, the entire QB class in 2013 totally sucked. At least the Bills took a bold swing, and missed.

Whaley did NOT trade two first round draft picks, he swapped 1 first round pick for ANOTHER and with that 1ST ROUND pick, the Bills took Watkins.

The Bills gave up the 19th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft for Watkins, and a 4th rounder.

Sure, the Bills could have drafted Beckham, and they would have the 19th overall pick this year.

I don't think giving up the 19th pick in the 1st round and a 4th rounder is too much to give up for Sammy Watkins.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2015, 06:17 PM
He's making big creative trades to get a Running Back when they could have paid DeMarco Murray in Free Agency and gotten a similar back to McCoy without giving up Kiko. Then use Kiko with a creative trade package to go after Bradford, or another veteran.
If you think Shady and Murray are similar backs then you just showed that you have no clue what you're talking about. It's like saying Kaepernick and Peyton Manning are similar style QBs.

Jesus.